←  Exercise

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

What is the best compound exercises for ea...

kenny001's Photo kenny001 12 Jan 2011

I'm having troubles designing an all compound exercise workout routine that I will be doing for 3 days a week, I will rep you if you tell me what is the best compound exercise for each muscle group.

platypus's Photo platypus 12 Jan 2011

I'm having troubles designing an all compound exercise workout routine that I will be doing for 3 days a week, I will rep you if you tell me what is the best compound exercise for each muscle group.

I don't know what the "best" ones are but I currently do:

deadlifts, squats & lunges for the lower body
dips and bench-press for the chest and arms
pull-ups for the upper back
..I'm considering adding handstand push-ups for the shoulders.

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

TysonS's Photo TysonS 13 Jan 2011

Chin ups and bent over/cable rows are nice for compounding back and biceps. You can also use a straight bar on a lowered cable to do squats then a row as you near the top of the squat.
I like to incorporate different lots of different things into leg exercises... Lunges with barbell shoulder presses are good. Squats to a single arm overhead dumbbell press or you can bicep curl the dumbbell as you come up with the squat and overhead press at the top. Squat to upright rows with a barbell...(These last 3 work better with kettle balls if you have them)

For chest you can consistently change your hand width during push-ups from wide to closer to target the triceps more (or vice versa) and raise/lower your feet to target your lower chest or higher and more of the shoulders. Dips are great for hitting several muscle groups too.

mia22's Photo mia22 14 Jan 2011

All good suggestions. Here's a few more.
Deadlifts done properly are probably the best single compound exercise imo although I have never done snatches and some other compound exercises. They will work almost everything.
Dumbbell rows for back are great.
Squats of course.
Dumbbell presses>bench press.
The way you position your body for dips will also work different areas body perpendicular to ground will work posterior shoulders/tris more. Body more parallel to ground(legs back and away) will work more chest/ anterior shoulder muscles.
Seated cable rows are great too. Watch your form, thrust your chest out when cable gets close to your torso, and pull it towards your sternum with a good back squeeze at the end of movement. Let cable come forward far and give back a good stretch as cable moves away from you.
Edited by mia22, 14 January 2011 - 07:39 AM.

Shepard's Photo Shepard 14 Jan 2011

The Olympic lifts are probably the best thing anyone can do with a barbell, in my experience. However, they will not put size on you like other movements will.

ajnast4r's Photo ajnast4r 16 Jan 2011

if i could only lift once a week:

deadlift - post chain
squat & weighted calf raises - legs
bent row & weighted pull ups - back
military press - shoulders
barbell curl - ant arms
skull crusher or close-grip press- post arms
bench press - chest

ab work is a little bit more complex than a single exercise will be able to cover.
Edited by ajnast4r, 16 January 2011 - 03:43 PM.

shuffleup's Photo shuffleup 16 Jan 2011

if i could only lift once a week:

deadlift - post chain
squat & weighted calf raises - legs
bent row & weighted pull ups - back
military press - shoulders
barbell curl - ant arms
skull crusher or close-grip press- post arms
bench press - chest

ab work is a little bit more complex than a single exercise will be able to cover.

I agree that is a good list. I like dips as well for pec, shoulder, and tri.

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Sillewater's Photo Sillewater 17 Jan 2011

Bulgarian Squat - Hits your legs and stabilizers (also lessens the load on the spine and maximizes load on the leg)
Chin Up - Allows you to use your biceps and also an anti-extension exercise for your rectus abdominis
Ab Wheel - Another anti-extension one for your abs (don't flex the lumbar spine)
Deadlift -Posterior Chain
Inverted Rows with towel - Trains back and grip (also increase range of motion)
Power Clean from Hang - Just to develop power
And posture corrective exercises (scapular retraction, depression, and humeral external rotation)