←  Telomeres

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

A conserved NAD+ binding pocket that regul...

GreenPower's Photo GreenPower 24 Mar 2017

I found this quite interesting article in Science. A corresponding video from Harward Medical School can be found here.

I've not read it all yet, but through a quick look I understand it to mean that by adding NMN, which is a precursor to NAD+, to a regimen, you can restore the DNA-repair system and by that also restore cell functionality to a younger state.

SearchHorizon's Photo SearchHorizon 30 Mar 2017

Yes, that is correct. From previous work by Sinclair, it was shown that a certain level of NAD+ was required for stress proper responses (i.e., heat, lack of oxygen, exercise, etc.). The latest paper by Sinclair and his gang shows that a high level of NAD+ is also required to fix DNA sequence errors. 

To me, the interesting part of the article was about the mouse experiment in which certain cell functions of old mice were restored to their younger state when the mice were givin high level of NMN - it took about a week. My question is then, how was the "younger" state measured? (I don't have access to the original paper). 

Harkijn's Photo Harkijn 30 Mar 2017

The paper was aready under discussion here:

http://www.longecity...curated/page-63