Methylene Blue Dosing and Products

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

#181 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Any sleep- improvement?

I don't normally have trouble sleeping, so it's a hard one to comment on. I'd say, if anything, I've been to bed perhaps an hour earlier than usual twice the last week. Tonight however, I'm still up at 1:30am (mind you it is Saturday night).

Are you taking MB at the moment?

No but Im thinking about trying it out and also evaluating the noot due to hypersomnia/DSPS.

Edited by Brainfogged, 21 August 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#182 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

rwac: Thank you, that's what I meant!

So I just took 70 drops of my diluted solution (diluted solution is 5ml MB in 200mL water). This mixture effectively makes each drop equal to 38mcg. I know this might sound off but I only get 15 drops out of my dropper instead of 20 when I fill it up to 1 ml. So basically...

1 ML of my diluted solution = 575mcg

575mcg / 15 = 38mcg per drop

38mcg * 70 drops = 2.66mg.

It restored my alertness but also gave me some light chest pain. It isn't intense pain but it is slightly noticeable. I've heard some people say chest pain is to be expected while other sources online refer to it as a serious side effect. Anyone else here experience it? Normal?

@rwac: Are you taking MB? If so, at what dose?

I don't wish to start any web paranoia, or hijack this thread into fish-oil land, but I wonder about that fish-oil and I'm genuinely concerned about your health...I used to have A-fib intermittently, and I noticed that fish-oil would bring it on.

Then I found out that many fish-oil supplements are actually rancid; taking rancid fish-oil is far worse than not taking it at all; if the fish-oil is rancid, a veritable storm of peroxided fat is released into one's blood, which can actually precipitate chest pain or even a heart attack.

Wanna get sick on purpose? Buy a bag of Frito-Lay's corn chips, leave it in the sun for a few hours, then enjoy. You'll get sicker than a dog (a sick dog, of course...I wonder where that expression came from?) from all the peroxidized corn oil. :ph34r:

So, I would just suggest, at the risk of being a pain in the ass, that you might wanna be suspicious of your fish-oil. For one thing, you should not have nasty burps. If you get nasty burps, that COULD BE an indication it was rancid. And having chest pain - that suggests to me either peroxidized fat free radical assault on the heart, or inflammation secondary to peroxidized fat free radicals aggravating costochondritis (if tenderness in anterior chest wall).

What I do - after giving up on fish-oil supplements a long time ago - is now I take Krill Oil. I buy the Krill IQ (with lecithin) from Mercola, but there are probably a number of places that sell Krill Oil in the capliques that keep out oxygen. On the Krill, I believe I'm getting a better mix of Omega-3's and 6's, without the rancidity. At least, I don't get nasty burps, AND I don't get atrial fibrillation or palpitations from the Krill.

Thank you for that informative post. I'll look into Krill oil. I got my Fish Oil from Wal*Mart. Here is a link: Spring Valley Fish Oil

I purchased it recently and it has an expiration date of 04/2014 printed on the bottle. I take about 5 per day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#183 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

I can report that for me, the effects are definitely enhanced by either vitamin c, magnesium or lysine. I had stopped taking my vitamin stack for a day and felt much less focused. Within half an hour of taking just those 3, I noticed an immediate boost/improvement. I'm guessing it's the vitamin C. Will experiment some more.

Wasn't it determined that the vitamin c would need to be sodium ascorbate mixed with MB? Is that what you're doing? What vit c supplement are you using?

#184 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

I just noticed that my vitamin c powder also contains 15mg of resveratrol per dose! I was going to add grape seed extract (GSE) to my stack anyway, but now I probably don't have to. Both have mitochondrial effects. GSE also has anti-cancer properties. I wonder if the 2 work together or not. Does anyone else here take resveratrol?

#185 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

I can report that for me, the effects are definitely enhanced by either vitamin c, magnesium or lysine. I had stopped taking my vitamin stack for a day and felt much less focused. Within half an hour of taking just those 3, I noticed an immediate boost/improvement. I'm guessing it's the vitamin C. Will experiment some more.

Wasn't it determined that the vitamin c would need to be sodium ascorbate mixed with MB? Is that what you're doing? What vit c supplement are you using?

Vitamin C, ether in the form of ascorbate or ascorbic acid, will reduce MB to neutral leuco-MB. However, leuco-MB is insoluble in water at pH greater than about 4.5. For that reason, you are probably better off going with ascorbic acid, and I would use it in molar excess. Sodium ascorbate would actually be alkaline in solution. There's a report in the literature that says if you are going to reduce MN with ascorbic acid, it takes 3 hours to equilibrate. I'm not sure why that should be, but it might have something to do with the LMB aggregating and taking a long time to go into solution, but that's just a guess.

#186 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:40 AM

Vitamin C, ether in the form of ascorbate or ascorbic acid, will reduce MB to neutral leuco-MB. However, leuco-MB is insoluble in water at pH greater than about 4.5. For that reason, you are probably better off going with ascorbic acid, and I would use it in molar excess. Sodium ascorbate would actually be alkaline in solution. There's a report in the literature that says if you are going to reduce MN with ascorbic acid, it takes 3 hours to equilibrate. I'm not sure why that should be, but it might have something to do with the LMB aggregating and taking a long time to go into solution, but that's just a guess.

My vitamin c powder has a large component of ascorbic acid. Is it possible that MB is reacting with it and stomach acids to create LMB?

#187 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:47 AM

My vitamin c powder has a large component of ascorbic acid. Is it possible that MB is reacting with it and stomach acids to create LMB?

Hmm, that might actually happen. Have you tried taking them apart?

#188 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:57 AM

Hmm, that might actually happen. Have you tried taking them apart?

Yes.. only by an hour. It's perhaps a little less effective, but still a noticeable difference compared to no vitamin c powder at all for 24 hours. Perhaps there is another process responsible for this?

#189 Nootr

• 180 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

I have just dissolved ascorbic acid in 900 mcg of MB. It lost the color and became transparent like water. I took this stuff and did not feel any difference from taking MB without ascorbic acid.

#190 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

I have just dissolved ascorbic acid in 900 mcg of MB. It lost the color and became transparent like water. I took this stuff and did not feel any difference from taking MB without ascorbic acid.

There's some missing info here. How much ascorbic acid? How much water? (I assume there's water; MB is a solid in its pure state.) How long did you let it sit before you consumed it? Supposedly, it takes 3 hours for some sort of equilibration to occur. Finally, what does MB on it's own feel like for you? Can you tell if you've taken it?

#191 Nootr

• 180 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

There's some missing info here. How much ascorbic acid? How much water? (I assume there's water; MB is a solid in its pure state.) How long did you let it sit before you consumed it? Supposedly, it takes 3 hours for some sort of equilibration to occur. Finally, what does MB on it's own feel like for you? Can you tell if you've taken it?

Probably 800mg-1g of ascorbic asid. somewhere 50-100 ml of water. It did not sit at all - I swallowed it at once after it lost its color. So should I wait for 3 hours before taking?
After taking MB i feel like my mood increases and I become more energetic. After taking MB with ascorbic acid I did not feel any change in mood - probably coz it is already good after taking previous doses. However, after I started taking MB and noopept my cognitive abilities improved and I am less tired during the day in spite of the fact that i am on no-carb and no-caffeine diet. That's amazing! Probably, I lacked serotonin due to depression and MB gives it and my whole life seems to change with that. Probably, I also need to fix heart coz I had ishemia and repolirization when a teenager - that's why I cannot evaluate the energy potentital of MB. But i feel like nothing is pressing on my brain like it was before. Imagine you have high doses of adrenaline all the time from social fears and it seems that only part of the brain if working. But now I feel like my brain became warmer and my hands which were cold all the time have become definitely warmer. Today I was sitting in the office with conditioner on and everyone was asking how I can stand such cold and I am amazed myself how can i stand cold now without feeling cold. Is it MB or noopept or both of them?
Daily I am taking
Lecithin, DMAE, phenibut, fish oil, noopept. At night I take melatonin and Bacopa Moneira. I noticed that if you take Bacopa before sleeping you get up fully refreshed. It's amazing. It has already been mentioned here and proved to be true in my case also.

#192 Jason.Syf

• 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hi, I'm eager to try Methylene Blue.. but slightly nervous at the same time.

My concerns:
1) If you get your MB from a pet store product.. what does that say about its purity?
2) It's anti-bacterial, so this could be really bad for the good bacteria in the gut, right?

How do the long term users of this product feel about these concerns?

Thanks
J

#193 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hi, I'm eager to try Methylene Blue.. but slightly nervous at the same time.

My concerns:
1) If you get your MB from a pet store product.. what does that say about its purity?
2) It's anti-bacterial, so this could be really bad for the good bacteria in the gut, right?

How do the long term users of this product feel about these concerns?

Thanks
J

Fish are very sensitive to toxins and heavy metals. Some fish are very expensive. The aquatic products are unlikely to be low quality for this reason alone. As for for bowel flora and fauna, if you are dosing more than you can absorb, then yes - take a probiotic or eat yoghurt. I'd suggest reading this entire thread, as most 'new to MB' questions have been discussed, including many safety and dosage questions. :)

#194 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

I've been following the thread for a while and I am a bit confused with whats best to get(and from where). Can someone make a list of things that you need in order to start on Methylene and where to get the stuff from and whats best. I live in the UK if that helps, but ordering online is always easier than going to shops to look for anything. Is a syringe a legit method to do the dosing? Whats best and cheapest? I am willing to try it as well and give my Piracetam a little break (or try them combined at a later point). I also saw a few different links with different formulas for dosing, so if i can be given the best/easiest method that would be good. Fwiw I am mostly asking this and not getting stuff from the first pages, because I want the latest information and not because I am too lazy to check.

#195 Nootr

• 180 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

I think you may buy any pure MB from fish store. Some people think only Kordon is good coz it is mentioned here many times. But I bought just the first MB in the first fish store I met and it is just fine.

I have a suspicion that MB increases alpha brainwaves and that's why it makes you feel so good.

#196 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

I've been following the thread for a while and I am a bit confused with whats best to get(and from where). Can someone make a list of things that you need in order to start on Methylene and where to get the stuff from and whats best. I live in the UK if that helps, but ordering online is always easier than going to shops to look for anything. Is a syringe a legit method to do the dosing? Whats best and cheapest? I am willing to try it as well and give my Piracetam a little break (or try them combined at a later point). I also saw a few different links with different formulas for dosing, so if i can be given the best/easiest method that would be good. Fwiw I am mostly asking this and not getting stuff from the first pages, because I want the latest information and not because I am too lazy to check.

No problem, start from page 13. :)

In a nutshell, start by checking the concentration.

2.3% concentration = 23mg / mL
Dilute 1mL to 20mL water to get 1.15mg/mL.
Take 1mL of the 1.15mg/mL in water every 5 hours.

Do read the rest of the thread, though.

#197 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

I just read everything. If you only need to do the dosing by using mLs then a syringe should be the easiest way to do it. Also do you need to put the solution in a sealed container and in the fridge or would it be just as good if its in the open. And isnt it 1mL to 19mL water closer to getting 60 micrograms (57.5)?
Edit: I just ordered the first result from Amazon, there is no Kordon in the UK and I couldnt find anything that says what the concentration is, but this comes with a pippette and whatnot. I will see what it is in a week I guess (if its only Methylene Blue and not anything else and what the concentration is).

Edited by FDA Approved, 31 August 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#198 EncyclopediaBrown

• 44 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't what Elus posted more accurate?

Posted Image

#199 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image

If your intended dose rate is 60mcg. I gave a dilution to reach 1.15mg.

It's faster to prepare and dispense. If you are using a 1mL (100 unit) syringe, 5 units per dose will get you down to approx 60mcg, if that is your preferred experimental dose. Absolute accuracy is not required here.

#200 EncyclopediaBrown

• 44 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image

It's faster to prepare and dispense. If you are using a 1mL (100 unit) syringe, 5 units per dose will get you down to approx 60mcg, if that is your preferred experimental dose. Absolute accuracy is not required here.

Great, thanks for the info!

#201 EncyclopediaBrown

• 44 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thank you!

#202 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Can anyone help me with the math here, because I dont want to accidentaly get it wrong. I have just received my Methylene blue and its 1,943mg per 100ml. How to get the 60mcg (or the 115 or a good dose). It has a pippete and a measuring cap of up to 20ml.

#203 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Can anyone help me with the math here, because I dont want to accidentaly get it wrong. I have just received my Methylene blue and its 1,943mg per 100ml. How to get the 60mcg (or the 115 or a good dose). It has a pippete and a measuring cap of up to 20ml.

Is this correct? If I do one ml of this to 199 ml of water, I get a solution that is 9.715 miligrams per ml. And then I get one ml of this to 149 ml water to get 64.7 micrograms?

#204 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

Near on 2% concentration as a starting point.

1mL into 330mL of water will get you approx 60mcg/mL (safe dose). Then take 1mL of that in water each dose.
1mL into 20mL of water will get you approx 1mg/mL (apparently safe dose that will give you an 'elevated mood' and mess with your dopamine levels, I found). If you are going to use this, take 1mL of that in water each dose.

#205 FDA Approved

• 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Near on 2% concentration as a starting point.

1mL into 330mL of water will get you approx 60mcg/mL (safe dose). Then take 1mL of that in water each dose.
1mL into 20mL of water will get you approx 1mg/mL (apparently safe dose that will give you an 'elevated mood' and mess with your dopamine levels, I found). If you are going to use this, take 1mL of that in water each dose.

Oh, my mistake. I thout 1,943mg is 1.943mg..

Edited by FDA Approved, 03 September 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#206 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Im going to ask my chem- teacher to titrate some for me, so what kind of info do I need to give her.

How much is adequate for a one year supply?

What do you think of MB with Modafinil? What kind of side- effects would I be experiencing?

#207 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

I had Kingherbs make up two batches for me from laboratory grade MB tri-hydroxide: one is 15 micrograms per drop, the other is 350 mcg per drop. The more dilute one is probably placebo effect, but seemed to improve endurance slightly. The stronger solution at four drops = 1.4 grams was too much, had the opposite effect intended: felt slow, lazy, brain fogged - in other words, "normal". It countered the effect of provigil, made my pee greenish blue. 350 mcg and 700 mcg seem to have an effect similar to the power boosting you noted. I need to test more. My legs still hurt riding uphill, I just go faster.

FWIW, testing standard bottle droppers, the drop size seems to come out at 1/20 milliliter, plus 20 or minus 25 percent. 0.05 ml +20/-25%.

#208 niner

• Topic Starter
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

350 mcg and 700 mcg seem to have an effect similar to the power boosting you noted. I need to test more. My legs still hurt riding uphill, I just go faster.

FWIW, testing standard bottle droppers, the drop size seems to come out at 1/20 milliliter, plus 20 or minus 25 percent. 0.05 ml +20/-25%.

I made up a solution of 400 mcg/ml, and I use a graduated syringe to dispense 2 ml. I figure I can dispense it +/- .05 ml or so, which would put me within a couple percent, and that's close enough. I find droppers to be too variable.

That's interesting what you mention about your legs. I felt like my legs were becoming a bit more of a weak link at the higher power level; as though the improvement was mainly cardiovascular, thus I was feeling it more in my legs. I'm getting more convinced that there is something to this; I should test some more too. Now we need someone to develop a sustained release MB formulation that would keep us at the right level all day.

#209 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

350 mcg and 700 mcg seem to have an effect similar to the power boosting you noted. I need to test more. My legs still hurt riding uphill, I just go faster.

I made up a solution of 400 mcg/ml, and I use a graduated syringe to dispense 2 ml. I figure I can dispense it +/- .05 ml or so, which would put me within a couple percent, and that's close enough. I find droppers to be too variable.

That's interesting what you mention about your legs. I felt like my legs were becoming a bit more of a weak link at the higher power level; as though the improvement was mainly cardiovascular, thus I was feeling it more in my legs. I'm getting more convinced that there is something to this; I should test some more too. Now we need someone to develop a sustained release MB formulation that would keep us at the right level all day.

I use a graduated syringe too, with my solution(s), but find that drops are both more convenient and I think sufficiently accurate. One does not have to be totally precise once one knows one's dosage range, just close enough. Most supplements need to double the dose to see a further effect (not always, of course), but whether I get 700 ucg, or 840, or 560 doesn't seem to make much difference, whereas 1400ucg is definitely too much.

WRT legs' pain: You still have to give muscles time to grow even though you can work them at a higher level. If I understand the mechanism that Ames claims, mitochondrial power output is increased, hence the muscles can function at a higher work load (more power) but apparently there will be some swelling afterward. The fascia that surround the muscles doesn't stretch, so this hurts. Until your body has time for the tissue that is sheathing the muscle to grow, that is. But even without supplementing, a hard workout results in soreness. You're just able to work them harder.

WRT sustained release: the method I am familiar with encases the substance to be delivered in a wax coating that slowly dissolves. For many vitamins that claim to be time release, this never happens, or it is released too slowly or too fast.

Edited by maxwatt, 20 September 2011 - 03:07 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#210 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this the wrong forum but thought it would be better to ask here than to create a new thread: what vendors ships MB internationally?? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users