Methylene Blue Dosing and Products

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

#211 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

Sorry if this the wrong forum but thought it would be better to ask here than to create a new thread: what vendors ships MB internationally?? :)

Best to buy locally e,g. aquarium supplies, and dilute to required dosage. Where ar3e you located and what concentration do you require.?

#212 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Best to buy locally e,g. aquarium supplies, and dilute to required dosage. Where ar3e you located and what concentration do you require.?

Thanks for replying!
Heh, I was asking as I went to an aquarium shop in town yesterday, but they told me they only sell MB in products mixed with other stuff.. He even mentioned not being allowed selling it separately!
And I don't think it was me revealing my drug seeking motives that made him say so; I was playing stupid saying I was running an errand for my dad, haha. :ph34r:
I live in Sweden, maybe that could explain the regulations.. ;)

If anyone know of some good vendor, please let me know!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#213 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Try another pet shop, and ask for something for your dad's fish that have ich disease, white stuff on their gills (a fungus). Read label of what he shows you. Say I can't remember what dad said it was called." Should be about a 2% solution of MB with no other additives.

Probably reluctant to sell to a young person because it is a favorite for practical jokes. Spiking a drink and telling the victim blue pee means he has syphilis, or putting it in their bath soap or shampoo and turning their skin blue. You know, teenage boy stuff..

#214 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

Try another pet shop, and ask for something for your dad's fish that have ich disease, white stuff on their gills (a fungus). Read label of what he shows you. Say I can't remember what dad said it was called." Should be about a 2% solution of MB with no other additives.

Probably reluctant to sell to a young person because it is a favorite for practical jokes. Spiking a drink and telling the victim blue pee means he has syphilis, or putting it in their bath soap or shampoo and turning their skin blue. You know, teenage boy stuff..

HAHA! :-D, does the turning the skin blue-thing work?? Would be hilarious..

Thanks for the advice. Will try it out, but I still believe he was honest. He showed me some bottles of anti-parasite stuff, of which one of them had MB in it.. but there was like four other ingredients as well. ;)

#215 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:03 AM

If I put the Kordon Methylene Blue into a dropper bottle, about how many milligrams would one drop of this be? Anyone know? Did I miss this somewhere in the thread. Sorry for the stupid questions, I've been functioning at a pretty low level for a while now.

#216 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

It reads 2.303% solution
http://www.kordon.co..._blue/index.htm

So you can use the methods previously mentioned in this thread.

fish methylene blue
is 2.303% w/v so that is 2.303 grams in 100cc of distilled purified
water. Take a ml or 1/100th = 23 mg / ml (1ml = 1 dropperful) .. Take
2 ml or 2 dropperfuls = 46mg , place it in 30ml water and you get a
dilution of 1.53 mg /ml. There 20 drops to a ml in a medicine
dropper, so 1.53 mg divided by 20 = .075 mg which is 75 microgram- we
only want 60mcg, so let's go back to the 2 dropperfuls X 60mcg/75mcg =
1.6 dropperful in 30 ml medicinal dropper bottle and qs to 30ml which
now gives the 60mcg per DROP!

1 drop 2.303% solution diluted in 50ml.

(~1mg)

50ml = 50*20 = 1000 drops.

1 drop of diluted solution = ~1 mcg.
(actually ~1.15 mcg)

I dropper (1 ml) is approx 20 drops, so for 60 mcg = 3 droppers (I may be wrong)

This is from Maxwatt

50 drops per 50 ml. That gives you around 600 mcg per drop. 25 drops, 300 mcg per drop.

Edited by noos, 07 October 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#217 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

It reads 2.303% solution
http://www.kordon.co..._blue/index.htm

So you can use the methods previously mentioned in this thread.

fish methylene blue
is 2.303% w/v so that is 2.303 grams in 100cc of distilled purified
water. Take a ml or 1/100th = 23 mg / ml (1ml = 1 dropperful) .. Take
2 ml or 2 dropperfuls = 46mg , place it in 30ml water and you get a
dilution of 1.53 mg /ml. There 20 drops to a ml in a medicine
dropper, so 1.53 mg divided by 20 = .075 mg which is 75 microgram- we
only want 60mcg, so let's go back to the 2 dropperfuls X 60mcg/75mcg =
1.6 dropperful in 30 ml medicinal dropper bottle and qs to 30ml which
now gives the 60mcg per DROP!

(~1mg)

(actually ~1.15 mcg)

I dropper (1 ml) is approx 20 drops, so for 60 mcg = 3 droppers (I may be wrong)

This is from Maxwatt

50 drops per 50 ml. That gives you around 600 mcg per drop. 25 drops, 300 mcg per drop.

I really appreciate that..Thank you

#218 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Err.. Hmmm.. 10 drops = .5mL
Kordon = 23mg/100mL

So..
10 drops = .115mg?

[see corrections below]

Edited by chrono, 10 October 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#219 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Err.. Hmmm.. 10 drops = .5mL
Kordon = 23mg/100mL

So..
10 drops = .115mg?

So you're telling me that 100ml (AKA 3.38 fluid ozs) has only 23mgs of MB in it? Then why is everyone crying about MAO inhibition if an entire 4oz bottle doesn't even reach the 60mg level? And why are people diluting it if each undiluted drop has 11.5 mcgs? [this is in fact wrong, see corrections below]

EDIT: Didn't mean to use that tone of voice. Just woke up... must be a bit grouchy ;)

On a side note it looks like it might take a while for the body to process the color, or I really do have some kind of renal deficiency. I dosed 10 drops yesterday in the morning with no change in urine color, then took 6 drops in the evening. At night before bed I didn't notice any change in urine color.

So I just took 20 drops with some water and then went in to pee. That was some pretty green urine! Should have peed before dosing that extra 20 drops.

Edited by manic_racetam, 11 October 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#220 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

No, that isn't correct.

2.303% is the percent of mass for a standard solution for fish tanks (Kordon, for example) so therefore, 1mL contains 23.03mg of Methtylene Blue. There are 20 drops to a ml (typically) so each drop will have 1.15 mg MB.

10 drops = 11.5mg

#221 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Mr. Happy's math is off on this one I believe. Diluting MB is still necessary based on the suggested nootropic dose unless you desire to experiment with higher doses.

1 ML = 23.03mg .... not 1 entire bottle.

#222 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

Is MB safe?

Safety Considerations:

Methylene blue is a dye used to stain DNA and bacteria in laboratories. First of all, it is light-sensitive, so should be stored in the dark (you can wrap your solutions, or your stock powder in tin foil). Second, it is not something you want to get on your skin – when making up a solution, or handling methylene blue, you should be wearing gloves – it is a known mutagen.

http://ubclts.com/docs/Magic_Blue_Bottle.doc

I know people use it diluted, but what about long term use?

If MB stains DNA, does this mean it can affect it in some way?. Also, if it is a skin mutagen, I don´t see how taking it would be safe.

#223 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

Holy crap, sorry my maths off by 100x not having a bottle here - was reading one of the other posts.

Looking up the Kordon product, it's - 23mg/mL. (2.3%)

So, 10 drops is 11.5mg.

#224 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

Can someone please delete my post with the bad maths? You can leave my apology, I just don't want to confuse anyone else with wrong information.

#225 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

Is MB safe?

Safety Considerations:

Methylene blue is a dye used to stain DNA and bacteria in laboratories. First of all, it is light-sensitive, so should be stored in the dark (you can wrap your solutions, or your stock powder in tin foil). Second, it is not something you want to get on your skin – when making up a solution, or handling methylene blue, you should be wearing gloves – it is a known mutagen.

http://ubclts.com/do...Blue_Bottle.doc

If MB stains DNA, does this mean it can affect it in some way?. Also, if it is a skin mutagen, I don´t see how taking it would be safe.

Kordon's product and other products are not 100% MB dyes. Maybe they are using 100 % dyes in the lab.

#226 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

Is MB safe?

Safety Considerations:

http://ubclts.com/do...Blue_Bottle.doc

Kordon's product and other products are not 100% MB dyes. Maybe they are using 100 % dyes in the lab.

This is why it''s better / safer to use methylene blue tri-hydroxide rather than plain MB to mix up a solution.

#227 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

This is why it''s better / safer to use methylene blue tri-hydroxide rather than plain MB to mix up a solution.

Is it available?

#228 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:08 AM

Is it available?

It was discussed earlier this year (now in the dosage/product thread) as being available from Kingherbs. Not sure if they still offer it.

@maxwatt: would you say that the tri-hydroxide version is safe to handle, given reasonable precautions like gloves and...not inhaling clouds of it? Do we think it's otherwise equivalent once in solution, or once ingested (after compensating for the mass difference)?

Also, is it fairly granular? I've been thinking of ways to dose MB in capsule form. Might be possible by very carefully dropping water into a capsule filled with something inert, then letting it dry, but this would probably melt the capsule unless you were using a micropipette with smaller drop sizes. Mixing up some powders would probably be easier.

Edited by chrono, 13 October 2011 - 01:14 AM.

#229 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:36 AM

Is it available?

It was discussed earlier this year (now in the dosage/product thread) as being available from Kingherbs. Not sure if they still offer it.

@maxwatt: would you say that the tri-hydroxide version is safe to handle, given reasonable precautions like gloves and...not inhaling clouds of it? Do we think it's otherwise equivalent once in solution, or once ingested (after compensating for the mass difference)?

Also, is it fairly granular? I've been thinking of ways to dose MB in capsule form. Might be possible by very carefully dropping water into a capsule filled with something inert, then letting it dry, but this would probably melt the capsule unless you were using a micropipette with smaller drop sizes. Mixing up some powders would probably be easier.

MB-3(H2O) is available from chemical supply houses, if you meet their requirements for purchase (business, address, web site. etc. Homeland security has made it impossible for individuals to do kitchen chemistry, ) If you are making a solution of MB, then as previously discussed, it is safer to handle. Usual lab precautions. AFAIK inhalation not a problem. Granular, about like table salt, but blue. Making capsules with the powder? It would have to be cut with another powder, any standard excipient I suppose. One could put drops on sugar cubes, but it would be sugar, and people might think it's LSD. I think there are capsules that will take a liquid filling, check with one of the capsule companies.

Kingherbs has made up some MB @ 400 mcg/drop, but I understand they ran into a glitch with labels. They still have the 15 mcg/drop solution, but they are not advertising it. Yet.
  • like x 1

#230 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

I find out the MB product I have is 1%, so I was taking half the 60 mcg dose :|o Nice placebo :laugh:
I have to make a new dilution.

Will 6 drops of the 1% product diluted in 50 ml give me approx. 60 mcg per ml (20 drops)?

I am using this mehod

(~1mg)

(actually ~1.15 mcg)

Edited by noos, 13 October 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#231 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

30 mcg isn't a placebo.

#232 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:56 AM

I find out the MB product I have is 1%, so I was taking half the 60 mcg dose :|o Nice placebo :laugh:
I have to make a new dilution.

Will 6 drops of the 1% product diluted in 50 ml give me approx. 60 mcg per ml (20 drops)?

I am using this mehod

(~1mg)

(actually ~1.15 mcg)

It looks like 6 drops 1% (3mg) into 50mL will yield a solution where 1 drop = 3mcg, so I think your numbers are good :ph34r:

30 mcg isn't a placebo.

It's highly individual.

Edited by chrono, 14 October 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#233 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Agreed. :)

#234 Furbix

• 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

I'm a complete noob suffering from major social anxiety at my wits end. I've read through the thread and still have no idea how to measure out the dosages perhaps due to inadequate numeracy skills.

Simply put how do I get to the 60mcg dose from a 100ml bottle of what I presume is 1% (bottle doesn't give any indication of the concentration, called kings)?
Even simpler how many drops of 1% would I need to put in 2 litre water bottle to give the required 60mcg then roughly how much is 60mcg - a teaspoon, a tablespoon?
In addition what other things do I need - distilled water, dropper, stainless steel water bottle etc?
In regards to efficacy in social anxiety treatment, how soon do people on average notice effects?

#235 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

First, you'd benefit by reading the methylene blue dosage thread that details how to dilute your solution. :)

Second, none of that will help you until you know what concentration you are starting with. It should either say eg. 1% or 10mg/mL or similar. If it doesn't, you need to search the manufacturer's website or call them to obtain the actual product specs.

#236 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

I'm a complete noob suffering from major social anxiety at my wits end. I've read through the thread and still have no idea how to measure out the dosages perhaps due to inadequate numeracy skills.

Simply put how do I get to the 60mcg dose from a 100ml bottle of what I presume is 1% (bottle doesn't give any indication of the concentration, called kings)?
Even simpler how many drops of 1% would I need to put in 2 litre water bottle to give the required 60mcg then roughly how much is 60mcg - a teaspoon, a tablespoon?
In addition what other things do I need - distilled water, dropper, stainless steel water bottle etc?
In regards to efficacy in social anxiety treatment, how soon do people on average notice effects?

http://www.longecity...post__p__480860

#237 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

I miscalculated and was taking 1 drop of 1% (10mg/ml) solution, at 20 drops/ml this is 500mcg per drop.

I experimented with this range, always adding an ammount of drops to a bottle of 500ml water.

I always drink 3/5th = 300ml in the morning, 200ml in the afternoon (6hours later).

Started with 4 drops (1200mcg morning, 800mcg afternoon): WAY too strong.

Reduced this to 2 drops, now. Which would be 600mcg in the morning, 400 in the afternoon.

If this still is too much (headaches), I guess you could 1 drop of 1% solution in a 500ml bottle or a litre bottle.

Anyway, I haven't tried the 60mcg dose yet, since I'm very satisfied with these higher doses.

There also shouldn't be much of a danger, since I'm taking 1mg a day: MAO-I inhibition shouldn't pose a problem.

#238 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

How do you dilute?

If my math is correct:
I have 1% Rid-All aqua grade methylene blue, which is 10mg/ml, which is 500mcg/drop considering 20 drops a ml.
I put 2 drops in 1 bottle of 1l water, which means 1000mcg for 1000ml water.
I then drink 60ml of water every 6 hours (morning at home and afternoon at home).

Edited by Baten, 17 October 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#239 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

I want to test my methylene blue for arsenic. I had very high levels in my hair mineral analysis. Just about sure it was from noots or bulk supplements I am taking. Bought some arsenic quick tests for water and soil to test my noots and suspected powders. The test uses zinc dust and tantartic acid. Arsenic compounds are converted to Arsine gas by this reaction which causes Mercuric Bromide test strip to change color. So far my testing of Chlorella and mixed nutrient powders have failed miserably as they seem to be reacting with the zinc or something else, creating dramatically more grey foam than the test was designed for. This stains the test strip grey from the zinc, making it unreadable. I wanted to test my methylene blue with this test. Does anybody have a reason to believe (or not) that it might be less reactive with these compounds than chlorella or my NAC/ALCAR/Lipoic powder mix? Want to test the methylene blue but only have a few tests left.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#240 Furbix

• 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

Received my methylene blue, it's king british methylene blue and it's 2.44%. In the ingredients it says it contains methylene blue which leads me to believe there could be other stuff in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users