←  Calorie Restriction

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Are there studies on the people of religio...

dubrontsidah's Photo dubrontsidah 10 Apr 2013

I am wondering, if CR has any benefits, have these been shown in the religious sects that practice extensive fasting?

Bron's Photo Bron 10 Apr 2013

Only thing I remember hearing about is this: http://cid.bcrp.gob....ubre/w14428.pdf

THE EFFECTS OF MATERNAL FASTING DURING RAMADAN ON BIRTH AND
ADULT OUTCOMES

Not exactly what you were looking for, nevertheless a study on religion and fasting.

xEva's Photo xEva 14 Apr 2013

What 'extensive fasting' has to do with CR as it is practiced by most here?

dubrontsidah's Photo dubrontsidah 15 Apr 2013

Extensive fasting is another way of saying extensive calorie restriction. Certain sects have done this for thousands of years, and it would seem to me a good way to tell the efficacy of CR, or at least the efficacy of CR of different types, as some sects fast from some foods while others fast differently.

xEva's Photo xEva 16 Apr 2013

I saw numerous studies of Ramadan, which may be considered an 'intermittent fast', from dawn to sunset. Then I saw a case report study of a monk who fasted on bread and water (small quantity of bread) for about a month, and I came across several posts here referring to studies of Greek Orthodox (-?) monks, but I have not read those studies myself.

There are many papers by Cahill and Owen though, circa 1960-1970, of long-term fasting obese humans, intubated and locked up in a metabolic ward. non-religious. Good read.

erzebet's Photo erzebet 19 Apr 2013

There are studies on the lifespan of monks/nuns compared to the regular population and on average they did live longer.

theconomist's Photo theconomist 20 Apr 2013

I saw numerous studies of Ramadan, which may be considered an 'intermittent fast', from dawn to sunset. Then I saw a case report study of a monk who fasted on bread and water (small quantity of bread) for about a month, and I came across several posts here referring to studies of Greek Orthodox (-?) monks, but I have not read those studies myself.

There are many papers by Cahill and Owen though, circa 1960-1970, of long-term fasting obese humans, intubated and locked up in a metabolic ward. non-religious. Good read.

I would not use Ramadan case studies as a good example; yes it is fasting but during the feed window people gorge themselves with food. It's not unusual for people to gain 4 kiloS during Ramadan.

I would not use Ramadan case studies as a good example; yes it is fasting but during the feed window people gorge themselves with food. It's not unusual for people to gain 4 kiloS during Ramadan.