• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Jeanne Calment and her smoking

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 simfish

• 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:40 AM

As we all know, Jeanne Calment was the oldest person on Earth whose birth records were verified. Furthermore, she was a smokr until age 117.

Of course, we all know of the health consequences of smoking - statistically, it makes most people likely to die far earlier than they otherwise would. But of course, a few people manage to escape the consequences of smoking for whatever reason. And as for these people - we could ask a question - is it possible that some components in tobacco smoke could have contributed to the longevity of those like Calment? It wouldn't be so surprising. Many substances act like a double edged sword, not all good or all bad.

#2 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:46 AM

nicotine is not necessarily a bad thing... I think it was associated with decreased incidence of Alzheimers.. however there's just so much else wrong with smoking that it is difficult to imagine how it could ever be a net positive.

Most of the oldest old seem to have strong genetic constitutions .. they also are all optimists who don't get upset easily. I would say that these factors are much more important than any other.

#3 simfish

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

Of course those factors are the most important, genetics especially, but still - they may have an additive effect.

Like I said, probabilistically, smoking is extremely likely to be a net negative. But in a few, a few exceptional individuals, it might prove the opposite way.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

I've always believed that the best way to get to 100 + is to not smoke and to not drink alcohol... (so far I've managed both) and have a good diet... Although calment drank a lot of red wine every day apparently? :)

Heres a news report on centenarians in korea.

http://english.chosu...0606220024.html

Number of Centenarians in Korea Growing

A growing number of Koreans are living past the age of 100. But according to a study by the census bureau, they aren't necessarily having a good time.

The National Statistical Office reports that there were 961 centenarians in the country as of last November. That's 27 more in this rarefied demographic compared to five years ago.

Wednesday's report also shows that the number has been inching up since 1990. The two oldest people in Korea are both women, born in 1894 according to the lunar calendar. That makes them 111 years old, but who's counting? Women account for almost 90 percent of this age group, while their male counterparts are relatively few. Many of the super-elderly point to "eating lightly" among other healthy lifestyle choices as a secret of their longevity. More than half reported never smoking or drinking alcohol. Also, eight out of 10 lived with family members, suggesting a positive impact from close interaction with loved ones.

However, their long years didn't always add up to a sanguine attitude toward life after the big 100. Over half of the 961 suffer from various illnesses and are unable to walk on their own. When asked about their wishes, the most common answer was to rest in peace.

From another report here is the percentages of non drinkers and non smokers:

65.8 percent answered they never drank alcohol and 58 percent said they had never smoked. Forty-six percent said they had neither taken alcohol nor smoked for lifetime.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

Do we have any studies regarding smoking vs. not smoking in a controlled environment? I imagine that there are, I've just never looked into this too deeply.

Of course, we do know the actions of nicotine fairly well. Some positives, some negatives.

I also wonder how much the filter and lighter thing come into play.

#6 simfish

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

58 percent said they had never smoked

If 42% of them were smokers, that is a very very SIGNIFICANT amount. Then again - what is the average percentage of Korean women who do smoke? I highly dooubt it would be over 50%. Indeed, smoking rates in Asia are rising, but these women were living for A LONG TIME - definitely before smoking became widespread in Asia - and people are most likely to take up smoking in their youth. While genetics were definitely a factor to their longevity - we may have to re-assess the impact of smoking on people's health on people who were not susceptible to heart disease, lung cancer, or stroke in the first place.
Now of course, this is just one-time ssmoking incidence - we have to ask, how many of them are likely to be regulaar smokers?
  • Good Point x 1

#7 biggee

• 37 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Definately smoking is to be avoided. However the mass media attacks on it are really quite disturbing. It would appear that the all out war against smoking is more of an all out war against revealing other more dangerous factors that contribute to declining health. Things like sugar and our overall "synthetic" processed foods that everyone is so addicted to and love to consume. I am convinced that there are far more dangerous things that the masses take for granted that get virtually no media coverage. "Out of sight, out of mind", sort of mentality.

I am not trying to defend smoking, I am trying to defend our rights to be treated by our trusted authorities in an honest integral manner, and our accountability to demand such from those whom design this world in our absence of responsibilty to do so ourselves. There is far more to life and honesty than believing in a bunch of "pick your belief/authority" to guide one. We have all been witness to the disasterous effects of that kind of thinking. That is by and large the most virilent disease needed to be overcome if any real progress is to be made in any and all health related issues, first and foremost. Otherwise it is mostly the same old "psychological masterbation" of the masses disguised as the genuine thing over and over again.....

#8 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

Anyone reckon Jeanne Calment would have lived a few more years without smoking??? She obviously had good genes, but there still wouldn't have been total protection from the harmful effects of smoke even then. So maybe 125, 130???

Edited by Matt, 07 July 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#9 spins

• 177 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

I must admit when I found out she smoked until she was 110 I was amazed [huh], along with genetics and (possibly) a relaxed outlook on life I think certain aspects of her lifestyle reduced the negative effects of her smoking.

Apparently she enjoyed cycling and did so until she was 100, so lots of fresh mountain air into her lungs. ;)

Then there is her diet, she used to drink red wine everyday (as Matt already mentioned) and also consumed lots of olive oil (also applied it to her face) and ate chocolate everyday, apparently about 2lbs a week in total.

Her mother died at 86(?), her father at 93(?), so I wonder if it was her healthy active lifestyle (apart from the smoking) that increased her lifespan by 20 years or so? What does everyone else think?

#10 biggee

• 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:36 PM

It is quite possible that smoking actually did contribute to her longevity, that is if one believes that smoking is so thouroughly toxic that even some parasites and viruses can not even tolerate the smoke and die.

Chocolate and coffee are even known for health benefits. I bet smoking has some also... Although it is unlikely anyone whom has been so conditioned to think that smoking is so bad, that they will have any possibility of wrapping thier head around that statement....

#11 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

It is quite possible that smoking actually did contribute to her longevity, that is if one believes that smoking is so thouroughly toxic that even some parasites and viruses can not even tolerate the smoke and die.

Chocolate and coffee are even known for health benefits. I bet smoking has some also... Although it is unlikely anyone whom has been so conditioned to think that smoking is so bad, that they will have any possibility of wrapping thier head around that statement....

I am sure that there are some benefits to smoking, just that the bad outweighs the good, as per the vast majority of studies that have ever been done on the subject.

#12 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

Btw, you all know there are two important beneficial nicotine compounds? Nicotinamide (B3) and NADH. NADH enzyme can be supplemented (esp. in some diseases ranging from cardiovascular and mental to fatigue), even though according to mainstream medicine, the body usually has sufficient on his own. Try those instead, they come all without the 200-300 or so cigarette-smoke carcinogens.

I occasionally (once each 1-3 months) smoke flavored tobacco a water pipe, which comes with significantly fewer carcinogens. I once heard from a (mediterranean) physician that it "cleans the blood" (hormeotic action?). Although, this IMO is basically just a nice rationalization too. ;-)

#13 olaf.larsson

• 583 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:44 AM

The problem with smoking is the smoke not nicotine.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:24 AM

Even with the beneficial aspects of nicotine, it isn't something that you're going to want to be in your system daily, for years on end.

#15 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

I thought it was quite interesting that two of the verified longest lived people on the planet drank red wine daily! - - Just a coinidence?

As shown in many animals, they don't have super good genes to have their life extended, just change the expression of certain genes. If resveratrol did contribute to their longevity then they would have only got a small dose compared to ones used in studies, and it is dose dependant. Im convinced that CR will add decades to life, if started in 20's and early 30's. Being short seems to help also, calment was around 4ft something!

Edited by Matt, 19 July 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#16 Lothar

• 221 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

May be the example of mixter is not just anecdotical or even pure rationalization but hits exactly the point, because it's ALWAYS the dose what makes the medicine or the poison/the carcinogen (or something in between). That's also the deeper reason for the insight of simfish in the very first posting above:

'Many substances act like a double edged sword, not all good or all bad.'

Far instance, we all need something simple and basic like water, salt or sun light to survive or for our health, but too much of them can make us ill. The same is right with food or with physical exercise and so on and why shouldn't this be true even with nicotine or some other elements of a cigarette!? Certainly smoking goes (went?) together with social benefits of all kinds but that would be another question.

So, does anybody know here at least how MANY cigarettes Jeanne Calment has smoked a day (or a week, a month, a decade)??? And did she deeply inhale the smoke??? The language or the average thinking is very superficial in certain things but the deeper truth is something concrete!

The body has repair systems, immunosystem or even capacities to clean the lungs, so in a more complex view of systemic biology health is always a dynamic relation between all(!) the positive and negative factors we have to deal with.

spins:

'Apparently she enjoyed cycling and did so until she was 100, so lots of fresh mountain air into her lungs.' 

Therefore a lot of stuff in the health section of Imminst is monocausative and undercomplex, because the statistical or epidemiological view of studies of all kinds of single factors is misleading us because it gives us a wrong overall picture. Those results are just indicators what might be positive or negative just 'in the average' and without regarding complex cross reactions between specific inner dispositions and outside conditions, which are sometimes very different from person to person and which are permanent changing. (But a lot of this permanent changing happens at least in a periodic form: day and night, hot and cold, activity and relaxation, summer and winter, sexual desire and satisfaction, hunger and saturation and so on). This statistical average includes also the extremes in both(!) directions. So the right perspective must always be something highly INDIVIDUAL and may be all the centenarians and supercentenarians represent just an optimum of continued balancing(!) of all the life-factors we need and in avoiding special quantities/maximums of negative factors the organic system cannot deal with not only at once but even in the long run and in the very long run.

In my opinion this is a real possibility of life extension and at least for the entrance in escape velocity because we now have already an exponential increase of centenarians for about three decades in the western world what is mostly a non-specific, only statistical and more accidental effect by all the slow and unspecific bettering of general life circumstances and medical improvement, not the result of systematic approaches or long term activities of the elderly or from some results of biogerontology. And just think about the life conditions of someone who is now one hundred in his youth or for the most part of his life! Do you think Sam Walton could become 100, always working in a sawmill, getting depressions because of the great depression, not knowing exactly how much grandchildren and grandgrandchildren he has and being a stereotype of his own as the grandpa of a fairy tale-like soap opera... :) !? Of course he HAD to die, because it's the stereotype, that grandpas 'must' die. May be this is the hardest killer of all, all the social expectations and projections about life and death, and every supercentenarian must have solved these social kind of problems TOO, not only the physical ones.

This possibility of life extension is not an easy way because the body breaks always in his weakest point and so you have to deal permanently with all your potential health problems in a nearly 'perfect' way. It's probably already the wrongest way to deal all the time with potential illness, we have instead to focus on the positive pole: what makes us confident, satisfied, happy, curios, vital, enthusiastic, loving and strong!!? These and other emotional states are also general feedbacks about the general functioning of the whole body.

Kevin Perrott:

'Most of the oldest old seem to have strong genetic constitutions .. they also are all optimists who don't get upset easily. I would say that these factors are much more important than any other.'

And because of the mentioned individual perspective, it's very difficult to lead a sufficient discussion about it, especially only in the internet, because all the debates lead probably only to the lowest common denominator. In the contrary everyone needs just his OWN optimum of balance - what is good or bad for you can be very much different for me - and may be the first step to solve this problem is to overcome this monocausative und undercomplex perspective. Second step: realization, that we are social beings and that health, happiness and also life extension is something what happens in face to face-communities first. Virtual communities like Imminst are only the next level or for additional mental exchange. This is - by the way - the deeper secret of the strength of traditional religions, not the logic or deeper truth of their philosophies, theologies or holy scriptures (besides the fact that they of course are seekers of immortality too, but in an ancient, metaphysical way).

PS 1:
I myself have always been a non-smoker but I was also ever fascinated by the fact, that a lot of heavy smokers REALLY got very old or - if I'm going out at night - sometimes I'm feeling rather sick because of all that smoke in the clubs by just inhaling it passively while the deep inhaling active smokers are enjoying it so much. Just a common every day experience which illustrates the complex differences of a single health problem.

PS 2 @ Matt:

'I've always believed that the best way to get to 100 + is to not smoke and to not drink alcohol... (so far I've managed both) and have a good diet... Although calment drank a lot of red wine every day apparently?'

It's a well known fact in medicine that a small(!) amount of red wine daily can be a protection against heart disease, the number one killer of today. This result comes from big studies about the nutrition and health conditions of the mediterranean population in Europe and it has essentially something to do not with the alcohol but with the combination of hundreds of additional elements you find in the red wine. (May be because of some anti-oxidential factors in it, but I don't remember it exactly.) But what is 'small' for you may not be small for someone else and even your own condition is changing always, so drinking always a fixed quantum - like the recommended (='average') quarter of a liter per day - may not be very wise. And there are lots of other diseases. May be you have exactly a specific disposition where red wine or alcohol is just very wrong.

So, stopping smoking and drinking alcohol - or reducing it too very small and occasional amounts - might be a good beginning, but conventional anti aging-medicine is not so easy as it appears sometimes, there are a lot of problems and subtle effects which might have a deeper potential for life extension on the other hand.

There's something needed like our own intuition and our own feeling of our very own body, where no 'peer reviewed study' can help us! The scientific approach ALONE misleads us from this intuition and from our emotions which are - as I've mentioned above - subtle feedback signals from our body about the whole process of dynamic homeostasis, which will - or at least shall - ever go on, whether we will develop some SENS-like therapies or not. In my opinion all these high tech-approaches do only make 'sens' in additional but they never will substitute a basic personal view and a basic personal life style, which are fundamentally orientated on life extension. Death and illness is not something what can be reduced to aging and Millions of people destroy their lifes and their health very much faster as the big difference of more than twenty years between the average and the suggested 'maximum' lifespan is permanent proving. (Or their health is destroyed by outside conditions they cannot control personally but could be neutralized in general already.)

#17 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

One part I took notice of is, she said she had never been ill in her life [mellow]

jeane calment

#18 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

It is far, far, far more detrimental to long life to be overweight than to smoke. You never see heavy people living to 100. If you're 20+ percent overweight, you will be very lucky to see 70. Having ~15% or less bodyfat (for men -- ~22% for women) seems to be Job One of long life.

The red wine plays a big role because resveratrol is well known as an arterial system protector -- this is the key reason I take it (as heart disease is the most likely reason I will die). Pomegranate, too, is coming on very strong, too, for arterial health, and I've just added LycoPom to my regimen:
http://www.newchapte...r&-KeyValue=182

Cheapest place to buy I found:
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/

LycoPom contains:
http://www.pomextract.com/
It is the punicalagins, unique to pomegranates, that are so beneficial to healthy arteries.

#19 olaf.larsson

• 583 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

There is a study on the correlation between lifespan and smoking made on british physicians. (You could find it on pubmed) The graphs for physicians who have stopped smoking at before the age of 30 almost overlap with those who have never smoked.

#20 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

It is far, far, far more detrimental to long life to be overweight than to smoke.  You never see heavy people living to 100.  If you're 20+ percent overweight, you will be very lucky to see 70.

While appealing I am not sure if this is based on any evidence. The following post has few studies referenced, the IMO most rigorous analysises attribute only few years decreased life span due to obesity (between the highest and lowest risk groups), after controlling for other factors.

http://lists.milepos...m=41052&P=62330

Also, the gap is likely reducing because medical interventions targetted at fighting weight related consequences are obviously a high priority of pharmaceutical companies due to immensly large market. In fact, the miniscule effect of even rather substantial extra weight to life span might be partly attributed to already achieved therapeutic success of pharmeceuticals in form of blood pressure and cholesterol lowering medications.

#21 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

Calment smoked 2 a day for almost all her life.

http://entomology.uc...9/lecture3.html

#22 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

From the info Matt linked to:
"'Smoking History' Madame Jeanne Calment began smoking when she married in 1896 at the age of 21. She smoked no more than 2 cigarettes per day. We do not know whether she inhaled nor do we know what brand she smoked. She quit smoking at about age 113-114 when she broke her hip. She had to quit because her cataracts prevented her from following the cigarette into her mouth."

2 cigarettes per day is not very many. I know a few people that smoke 2-3 packs a day, and that isn't even considered that much to other people, I bet. (in other words, some people smoke even more than that, I am sure) I wonder if the benefits of, say, smoking an occasional cigar or pipe or something that is not inhaled would be of any consequence?

Edited by Live Forever, 31 July 2006 - 04:29 PM.

#23 Lothar

• 221 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

Thanks a lot Matt! (but your last link - from July 30th - did not work!?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users