Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

10-40 grams of piracetam 2-3x daily

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jerebaldo1

• 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:09 AM

Well, I tried a tablespoon's worth of Piracetam today: usually much more than I normally try. I don't know if it had any sort of nootropic effect, but what I did know was that it increased my energy level and alertness for a few hours. Anyone take herculean dosages for a long time? And I'm talkin maybe 40 grams a day from the Bulk Nutrition 700gram tubs.

#2 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:56 AM

Didn't that give you a headache or something?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jerebaldo1

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

in fact it didn't! Pi has never given me a headache regardless of dose. I once swam laps with about 10 grams of pi powder in my fairly empty stomach, and I had no problems with nausea, gas, or headaches. I think it may even have helped in my excercise routine

#4 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:42 AM

That's terribly stupid to do. I will try it soon. Piracetam is supposed to be quite safe. Isn't it?
  • like x 1

#5 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Why bother? 400mg of piracetam + 250mg of centro + cup of espresso = nirvana for me, 800mg makes me feel like crap! how can you do it lol

#6 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

And I'm talkin maybe 40 grams a day

What's the point? The effective doses end somewhere around 3-4 g-s.

#7 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

And I'm talkin maybe 40 grams a day from the Bulk Nutrition 700gram tubs.

Of this stuff?

#8 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

How many tablespoon is that 3-4g effective dose? How long is it suppose to take before it does it's effect? I bought DMAE with it, should I take both at the same time?

#9 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:19 AM

And I'm talkin maybe 40 grams a day from the Bulk Nutrition 700gram tubs.

A less ironic reaction this time, since I see some danger in this, also regarding the question of rhashasa. If you want to use this stuff this way:
- Get a good weight measuring scale to be sure to get the right amount,
- In case you really take 40 grams without ill effects, consider the possibility that the piracetam you are using now might not be effective. You could be in great danger in case you would take that much out of another batch that happens to be effective all of a sudden.

#10 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

Oh I don't want to use 40g, I was talking about 3-4g effective dose, I don't have a balance btw.

#11 jerebaldo1

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

Remember those studies that had a really hard time establishing an LD? Researchers also couldn't find any toxic or pronounced side effects in humans. Of course impurities will be magnified by such high doses, which is a legitimate concern. You can be sure I wouldn't mess with another racetam at that high a dose, nor any other drug.

lol----> jackin and brain box.

If I had a 700g tub of smarties I'd end up with diabetes the next day. It is my favorite candy crack.

No need for a balance, it says that 940mg is contained in a 1/4 teaspoon. 1 Teaspoon is 3760, and 1 tablespoon is 11280. I have a bundle of measuring spoons.

#12 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

I can't imagine swallowing 40g of something that taste so bad. You don't cap it? How can you do that without vomitting?

#13 jerebaldo1

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

Naw, I never make it that high myself. A tablespoon at the most. So that's only 10 grams or so. It tends to get me really amped and moderately nervous for about 3 hours. Then I'm back to my scatterbrained self (this being behind the line at a new Starbucks).

The way I get it down the hatch is by brute force. A half tablespoon shoveled into the mouth, then swallowed all at once followed by juice. Then another right after. I just get it over with really quickly. The taste doesn't bother me as much anymore.

#14 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:38 AM

I take four slightly heaped teaspoons of piracetam throughout the day spaced 4h apart, usually at 9.30a, 1.30p, 5.30p, 9.30p.

Soon I'll use my friend's scale to measure out how much each teaspoon is; I'm sure its between 4-6 grams.

Effects are great, so I named it Neurolube.

#15 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

Today I weighed out my typical teaspoon, and it weighs 5g. So I take four of these per day, for a total of 20g per day.

In a month, I'll chew thru 600g. I buy a kilo each month, thus my long-term cache gets an additional 400g per month.

The long term cache provides a resevoir to prevent suppy disruptions from affecting my daily regime.

Edited by Isochroma, 20 July 2008 - 12:23 AM.

#16 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:32 AM

Maybe I have a strange brain but any more than 1 or 2 tablespoons of piracteam makes me drowsy but has little nootropic activity.

Anyway please don't take 40g of Piracetam. You're just wasting your money and it makes you look dumb on nootropics message boards. If you want Piracteam to be most effective you have to find out the exact right amount on the dosage curve to have optimal effect and this is certainly less than about 5g.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 20 July 2008 - 02:36 AM.

#17 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:02 AM

It works SUPER GOOD for me at this dose, so I'll stay here for now. Maybe if I get poor some day then I'll decrease the dose. Plus it has a nice sweet aftertaste when eaten in such amounts. Plus I like the idea of my brain being perpetually saturated by entire armies of those cute little molecules! March, soliders! The battle for wakefulness must be fought on all fronts and won!

Edited by Isochroma, 20 July 2008 - 03:03 AM.

#18 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:17 AM

Maybe I have a strange brain but any more than 1 or 2 tablespoons of piracteam makes me drowsy but has little nootropic activity.

Anyway please don't take 40g of Piracetam. You're just wasting your money and it makes you look dumb on nootropics message boards. If you want Piracteam to be most effective you have to find out the exact right amount on the dosage curve to have optimal effect and this is certainly less than about 5g.

Speaking of looking dumb I thought that the science on piracetam, its dose, effects, etc, was pretty shaky and at best vague. Who's to say that what Isochroma is doing is not the best way to take this chemical in terms of his own unique biochemistry?

#19 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:20 AM

Exactamundo dude! Its all fun because this stuff is non-toxic, even to the wallet :p

I've placed an order for Aniracetam too! I'm gonna be taking it a teaspoon at a time as well, just to test :p

#20 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

It works SUPER GOOD for me at this dose, so I'll stay here for now. Maybe if I get poor some day then I'll decrease the dose. Plus it has a nice sweet aftertaste when eaten in such amounts. Plus I like the idea of my brain being perpetually saturated by entire armies of those cute little molecules! March, soliders! The battle for wakefulness must be fought on all fronts and won!

Don't you care about your kidneys?

#21 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Doesn't seem like it has systemic toxicity, i.e. on kidneys/liver at that dose but...

Don't you worry about glutamate excitotoxicity?

Piracetam is technically believed to work as an ampakine, just
as Aniracetam, for example is proven to, this means:

it stimulates glutamatergic neurons next to cholinergic neurons.

Aren't you afraid they might give you http://en.wikipedia..../Excitotoxicity ?

In fact, I believe that the bad feeling some people report with Racetam
overdose (below 800 mg for some) is a mild version of something
roughly related to http://en.wikipedia....aurant_syndrome

Only because it's not generally toxic (LD50), doesn't mean it's not
neurotoxic at high doses. I only have the guts to take Racetams
b/c of a very high serum B12 and other protections, I would
never supplement with ONLY piracetam.

#22 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Doesn't seem like it has systemic toxicity, i.e. on kidneys/liver at that dose but...

It's not directly toxic, but such doses taken on a daily basis would unnecessarily make the kidneys work overtime as piracetam is almost exclusively excreted through kidneys. Also if one would have the necessity to take other drugs/supps in addition to piracetam, it would become an overload.

#23 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

I'd be inclined to worry if I had any real-world evidence to validate the whacky theories of the above posters. Thankfully no such evidence exists :p

#24 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:16 AM

I'd be inclined to worry if I had any real-world evidence to validate the whacky theories of the above posters. Thankfully no such evidence exists :p

Don't you worry about glutamate excitotoxicity?
http://en.wikipedia..../Excitotoxicity ?
http://en.wikipedia....aurant_syndrome
Only because it's not generally toxic (LD50), doesn't mean it's not
neurotoxic at high doses. I only have the guts to take Racetams
b/c of a very high serum B12 and other protections, I would
never supplement with ONLY piracetam.

It's not directly toxic, but such doses taken on a daily basis would unnecessarily make the kidneys work overtime as piracetam is almost exclusively excreted through kidneys. Also if one would have the necessity to take other drugs/supps in addition to piracetam, it would become an overload.

Hmmm... The above posters don't seem wacky to me. Kidneys working too hard is a concern. And I read about glutamate excitotoxicity at the Wiki links with great interest.
Mixter, how does B-12 help? What else do you take to protect you against glutamate excitotoxicity?

Edited by Rags847, 21 July 2008 - 05:41 AM.

#25 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:27 AM

When a drug has over thirty years in the marketplace, the burden of proof for such claims is not only easier to determine, but making statements that have no evidence to back them up, especially obvious and easily-validated ones, is not such a grand plan.

If there were such obvious problems, don't you think evidence would have emerged during the thirty years of dosing millions of sick and not-sick individuals, including those with renal impairment?

Piracetam is not metabolized, period. So far as renal function goes, like any salt you take it with water, to maintain osmotic balance. Keeping close to the osmotic pressure of blood or a bit more diluted, will guarantee the kidneys an easy time, if you are so concerned.

Not like those dumb fucks at raves drinking bottle after bottle of pure water without salt. And I don't know anyone who could eat that bitter powder without several good mouthfuls of water. Pills is another story, but anyone into big doses would be using powder.

A bit off-topic but some simple rules at raves:

1. people can only bring one bottle (1L max) of pure water
2. unlimited amounts of osmotically-correct salty water / juices are available

Just these two would allow folks to drink as much as they please, without risking the terrible consequences of hyponatremia.

Edited by Isochroma, 21 July 2008 - 05:31 AM.

#26 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

When a drug has over thirty years in the marketplace

OK. But the studies on Piracetam for 30 years have by and large been on doses between 2-9g/day and for very short time periods (weeks-months). Most of them not rigorous studies with the high standards of American peer-reviewed scientific journals. The medical community couldn't even decided on the safety of estrogen replacement therapy despite the 1000s of studies done over the years until they did a huge (1000s followed), expensive, heavily funded, study in recent years.

Off of wiki:
"As piracetam is almost exclusively excreted by the kidneys caution should be exercised in treating patients with known renal impairment. In renally impaired and elderly patients, an increase in terminal half-life is directly related to renal function as measured by creatinine clearance. Dosage adjustment is therefore required in those with mild to moderate renal impairment and elderly patients with diminished renal function."

True that "Piracetam is not metabolized and is eliminated in urine."
http://books.google....esult#PPA246,M1

Edited by Rags847, 21 July 2008 - 06:37 AM.

#27 skinniest200

• 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

I've slammed 20g at once mixed in limeade one time. It had stimulant properties but wasn't useful/productive and tasted like shit, so I haven't done it again. Gave me the same feeling I usually get with piracetam only stronger, which is different feeling but not helpful or fun.

#28 int80

• 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Thank goodness, I was just about to make a post, worried that my 11.2gram per days was a problem.

I take 5 x 1600mg in the morning, then about 6-7 hours later take 2 more 1600mg caps.

Is that overdoing it? I also take CDP-choline along with that.

#29 int80

• 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

If it does produce glutamate, then I'm going to stop taking it I think.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

It doesn't produce glutamate. You can eat lots of piracetam! Delicious in smoothies, coffee, cereal and spread on sandwitches! This stuff makes an excellent topping for almost any dish. Sprinkle liberally on cakes, doughnuts and soups...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users