21st Century Kids

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hey guys,

ImmInst Lifetime member, Shannon Vyff, has just published her first book w/ a futurist and life extension theme. Be sure to grab a few as gifts for those hard to buy for nieces and nephews. More promotional info is below... also post your questions for Shannon as she'll be happy to respond!

Bruce

--
What Will Life Be Like in the Year 2189?

ImmInst member Shannon Vyff writes a book for pre-teens and families about very real possibilities of our future and manages to pull off an entertaining adventure in the process!

Imagine a world where you can ‘speak’ to your friends telepathically, use a machine to turn your ideas into reality and where you can even take your mind out of your body and fly like a bird. Pretty amazing stuff-sounds like you’ve stepped right into the middle of a science fiction story. But what if these ideas that are considered far-fetched right now, really could be part of humankind’s future?

That’s the idea behind a new children’s book, 21st Century Kids by Shannon Vyff. “In the early days of flight experimentation, most people chalked up the idea of human flight as pure fiction,” says Vyff. “They could’t believe humans would ever be able to fly, yet now we realize the Wright Brothers knew what they were talking about. I think the same can apply to other areas of human exploration and science.”

Posted Image

Vyff’s own children Avianna, Avryn and Avalyse, played a big role in writing the book; they are the inspiration for the main characters, served as sounding boards for the ideas and proofed the final version. They are also featured along with Vyff in an upcoming Barbara Walter’s Special, “How To Live To Be 150.”

21st Century Kids depicts many types of science that are considered exploratory in our time but have become fully developed in the future. The main characters in the story are a brother and sister, Avryn and Avianna, who are ‘killed’ in a car accident in the year 2008. But their bodies and minds have been preserved through cryonics and they are ‘re-animated’ in the year 2189. And WOW- has the world changed during the nearly 200 years that they were in preservation.

They discover that while they were ‘resting,’ ideas that were the subject of great debate in their day have now become reality. Humans no longer age, they can be re-animated if they were cryonically preserved and thanks to nanotechnology, the human body can repair itself. While many things have changed for the better, they also discover that science hasn’t fixed all the problems caused by mankind, such as massive pollution that makes part of the world uninhabitable
for humans.

“I wanted the story to reflect the impact that each of us has on the health of our planet,” says Vyff. “I want children to have fun reading this book and being awed by the scientific possibilities of the future; yet I hope they will also think about the possibilities they each have for making our Earth a healthier place.”

21st Century Kids also explores the controversial subject of cryonics, or the frozen preservation of a person’s body after legal death occurs, in a positive way. The characters all share their viewpoints on cryonics and the impact it could have on families and the world in general.

“I hoping to open kids’ minds to the idea of tolerance and acceptance of others’ beliefs,” says Vyff. “The scientific basis for cryonics is well-documented and there’s reason to believe that someday, humans will have the medical knowledge to revive those who are considered legally dead. I also wanted to dispel some of the negative myths surrounding cryonics. Cryonics is a way to be optimistic about having more time to help with the world’s problems.”

Posted Image

To order and review this book yourself please visit:
http://www.amazon.co...f/dp/1886057001

Endorsements:

1. Aubrey de Grey:

Aubrey de Grey, Ph.D., is a researcher at the Cambridge Interdisciplinary Research Centre on Aging and a scientific advisor to the Methuselah Foundation (www.mprize.org), an institution dedicated to ending aging and its effects. He is the author of book The Mitochondrial Free Radical Theory of Aging in addition to numerous articles in scientific journals.

From Aubrey to Shannon: "Hi Shannon - OK, I've read the whole thing now and I still think it's sensational!" (and he said he's normally quite picky ;-) ) Here are a few lines from Aubrey about '21st Century Kids': "The future moves painfully slowly from being fiction, to foreseeable, to fact; a key first step is to move it from being fearsome to being fun. Vyff's hugely entertaining rollercoaster breaks new ground in the "kid hero" genre by unthreateningly introducing children to concepts -- the defeat of aging, the revival of the cryopreserved-- that they may not only live to see but help to bring about."

Robert Ettinger is known as "the father of cryonics" for his book 'The Prospect of Immortality' and the breakthrough transhumanist work Man into Superman. Severely wounded in battle during WWII he received the purple heart. He earned a Master's in physics and mathematics at Wayne State University where he also taught. He said: "21ST CENTURY KIDS might out-magic Harry Potter. One can hope, anyway. Shannon Vyff conveys the flavor of "magical" science, beginning with cryonics and stretching to the limits of what we may achieve and become. It's a great read for any age."

Nick Bostrom Ph.D., Director of the Oxford Future of Humanity Institute. Co-founder of the World Transhumanist Association, said: "Childhood should be fun and so should the future. Read this to your children."

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:41 AM

I love getting comments about my book posted here! I'm happy to answer any questions ;)

Here is a link to the opening of "21st Century Kids" and a synopsis ....

http://www.imminst.o...=0

Edited by wing_girl, 21 June 2007 - 06:30 PM.

#3 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

You can also buy them from me for 14.95, I found out the publisher is sending me 50 books. Just PM me, or email shannonvyff@yahoo.com. They are up on Amazon already (just search for the title "21st Century Kids", but as the release date was March 1st, there has not been time for used ones to appear at a lower rate ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

Great, Shannon... I've sent you an email to purchase 2 copies. I have two young family members in mind for this book. By the way, do you have a couple of pages of the text available to share online (or would the publisher not allow?).

#5 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:36 PM

I can sign copies that you order through me directly, 14.95 plus 4 dollars for shipping. (It will be sent second day express mail) just send me an email ;)

I'll find out about the pages, I'm sure I can--possibly the first chapter or so? I'll send you an email Bruce with some more questions...

#6 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

I was reading about this the other day, certainly looks an interesting book, would be good to have a read through some sample pages. Might be the sort of thing my nephew would enjoy.

Are you planning a UK distribution or would I need to order it from the US (if it's on Amazon, that's easy enough, plus the weak dollar to the pound makes it fairly cheap [sfty] )

#7 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:56 AM

I'll find out about the pages, I'm sure I can--possibly the first chapter or so?

That'd be great... the first chapter or two.

#8 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:20 AM

Are you planning a UK distribution or would I need to order it from the US (if it's on Amazon, that's easy enough, plus the weak dollar to the pound makes it fairly cheap  [sfty] )

So far just Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Warren Publishing. I still have some at my house that I can send out as well.

#9 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:37 AM

If you ask your local bookstore, they can order them in for you too.

Edited by wing_girl, 21 June 2007 - 06:31 PM.

#10 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:02 AM

Here is a link to the opening of "21st Century Kids" and a synopsis .... 

http://www.imminst.o...=0

Nice! I liked it too much not to buy it and give it a quick read.

#11 warrencrguy

• Life Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

Hello Shannon,

My beautful copy of "21st Centuries Kids" has
just arrived. Thank you for writing this great book!

It is tingling with all kinds of excitement. Some of
the new future possibilities I have never dreamed
of before. Very unique, creative, and unusual.
I'm so happy, I will wish to share a little, and will
plan to be posting to the list at times, as I find
some choice sections I really like.

One thing that impressed me was the natural and
free-flowing style of dialogue, that carries the
story so spontaneously. This really helps bring
out the emotions and feelings of the characters!

The quality of the dialogue is quite outstanding
and realistic. And makes the book very warm
and inviting. Warmth is really important, even
in describing the events of the Glorious Future.

An author who has the gift of personal warmth can
convey that same genuine spirit in his/her words,
which makes it hard to stop reading -- because
the book enfolds you snuggly into its warm and
inviting arms!

-- warrencrguy

#12 solbanger

• 215 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:58 PM

This reminds me of other teen pop literature coming out with almost identical themes. Apparently the market for teen popularity books has hit a cresendo and now they are veering into sci-fi(?!) Check out - I Was a Teenage Popsicle by Bev Katz Rosenbaum. It's also about a teen that is vitrified and then melted out by scientists only to have to deal with her body maturing rapidly after she's thawed (I know, I know.) Anyway the books been out for a time, but I think a sequel is on its way. Good to see the immortalist theme is slowly leaking into the minds of a group that tends to reject all but the most commercialized opinions. The fashion driven credit kids.

#13 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

Yeah I read that book! So did my 10 year old, Avianna--we like it because it has cryonics in it. Otherwise it is for an older 'teen girl crowd' than my book. I talked with the author, she is not a cryonics member, but has respect for them. (there are other problems with the science in her book, and in the sequel it is my understanding that the main character is dying from a disease caused by her being preserved) (also it is only ten years or so in the future...and some of the sci-fi things are not very possible IMO by then, I take contention with 'many identical themes' compared to my book, aging isn't even ended etc. ;) , but it is a fun read-- I hope it interests some to learn about cryonics! I think it is good for cryonicist families too)

#14 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

I heard from an adult, that my book is good for adults too! They liked it better than 'The First Immortalist' (I did love that book as a teen!)

Some friends at church who are much older than me, said it was a 'page turner' they couldn't put down. I'm excited to get more reviews--especially from adults who've read it.

#15 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Any among us who have read the book, stop by Amazon.com and give a brief review. This will only improve sales of the book. And tell your friends about it!

#16 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

Neurosail's review is up at Amazon :) please go vote on if it was helpful for you or not, if you have the time! Thanks! http://www.amazon.co...duct/1886057001

#17 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

Now I know what to gift my two nephews for their birthday.

I'm looking forward to reading it myself, thanks. :)

#18 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

My publisher sent me 250 books--so, I have A LOT here at my home, just send me an email shannonvyff@yahoo.com and I can send you signed books! (I can put two in a 4 dollar second day mailer easily, other than that you could do the 1 dollar shipping)

In the meantime I'll be trying to find magazines interested in doing a review (I heard from my publisher that Discover Magazine requested a book!) ...

A teacher in Canada ordered 4 books and is going to teach 'futurist' issues from it to her middle school students--I can't wait to hear more-- she's going to keep me updated.

(oh and I'll do a discount to any ImmInst members that want to buy bulk, just ask--I'm going to give the same deal to C.I. members and Alcor members, who want to buy 50 or more....35% off)

#19 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:55 AM

Great news!

I'd love to have two signed copies. Two books in the $4 mailer would be perfect. Thanks so much.

I'll email you shortly.
Are you setup for PayPal to the above email address?

#20 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:58 AM

sorry, I'm not set up for PayPal... need to work on that... so far people have just sent checks or cash (although sending cash, is probably risky IMO)

I can send you my address, when you email-- I can have the books out, tomorrow--I'm sending one to Germany too!

#21 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

sorry, I'm not set up for PayPal... need to work on that... so far people have just sent checks or cash (although sending cash, is probably risky IMO) 

I can send you my address, when you email-- I can have the books out, tomorrow--I'm sending one to Germany too!

Email's on the way.

#22 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

wow! well I best get off of ImmInst page -to receive it--thanks!

Edited by wing_girl, 04 April 2007 - 03:59 AM.

#23 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

The review is now on Barnes & Noble website!

I hope this book outsells that Harry Potter somebody, he isn't helping life extension but real life protagonists Avianna, Avryn and Avalyse are helping the cause. (Read the review.)

#24 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

Like your attitude!

#25 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Are you still in Austin, Shannon? Any chance you'll be having a book signing event sort of thing? I'd most likely attend if at all possible.

#26 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

Yes, I live in Round Rock. I just had a book signing at First Unitarian Universalist of Austin, but I'll be doing something at book people-- I just don't know the date yet. If you want to pm me your email I'll send you the date and time when it is available.

Like your avatar!

Thanks da_vinci! Pretty awesome--even if I can't read chinese--beautiful language!

#27 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

I finished the book, and this is what i have to say:

I liked the book. The book gave a feeling of seeing the world through the eyes of the respective ages of the children, which I really liked. It gave what I look for in a good fiction book, a catalyst to my imagination. Every time that I started to think you were going into world building a bit too much, you changed what was happening to the character right on time. You even dealt with the aliens well, which I was kinda iffy about before reading it. The idea of making the main 'problem' facing the characters a ... (edited due to possible spoiler) ... was a great one.

As far as the science, a professor of physics at Berkeley said that many people who think different sci-fi themes as unrealistic, do not have good enough imaginations about what advances could come about. You brought in a lot of the trans-human, singularitarian, and immortalist ideas together in the world you created, and you did it in a nice and plausible way. The only science that I could doubt was faster than light travel, even with the robots, but this is a universally accepted allowance in sci-fi.

The book is a fun read that gives significant exposure to emerging technologies that will change how we live. Congrats.

#28 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:16 AM

Thanks cnorwood! :) glad you liked it!

#29 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

Cool!

BTW CNorwood's a chap ;)

#30 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

very nice, I'll have to let my daughter do something for her cafepress store ;)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users