Photo
- - - - -

Tyrosine question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:29 AM

I recently took Tyrosine for about a week straight and felt anxious and depressed after about 4 days. I felt great for the first 4 days or so and then after that I felt anxious and depressed for about 3 days. I stopped taking the Tyrosine and started feeling better after stopping. I was only taking 500mg in the morning on an empty stomach. Why did this happen? Is there a way to counteract this or cycle it with something else like maybe DLPA?

#2 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:59 AM

You're back!

Posted Image

I have never had any luck with tyrosine. I keep giving it honest tries, but I get some resdiual anxiety I just can't shake. Why were you taking the tyrosine?
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:50 AM

HAHAHA that picture is awesome

tyrosine + caffeine turns me into a monster

• Lurker

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

I take about 4 grams of DLPA per dose or about 16 grams per day or even more than that. I never have any problems with DLPA. I will feel some pain issues from tyrosine though. DLPA I have read is supposed to help with your msuclature. I think that means it has actions like preventing the breakdown of enkelphalins and endorphins. Whereas tyrsonine is mostly for your brain chemistry.

You may not need the tyrosine. You may need to take some other amino acids that increase your inhibitory neurotransmitters. I think taurine is important for balancing you inhibitory nueros. Also GABA and glycine are also inhibitory neuros that you might consider taking too, if you want to take tyrosine again. I take GABA in the evening, but will take glycine throughout the day.

And you also need adequate amounts of b6. It might not be a bad idea to take both forms if you continue to supplement amino acid, both the pyridoxine and the p-5-p form.

Also consider figuring out which one works best for you tryosine or DLPA. I find that DLPA will have the effect of lowering my serotonin levels. Dopamine and serotonin balance one other. This might explain why you feel agitated. You can buy tryptophan now. Tryptophan and tyrosine or DLPA should not be taken together, they will fight for absorption. I take DLPA until about dinner time and then I take the tryptophan around bedtime. This might be something to consider too; low serotonin levels will make your agitated.

DLPA (or tryosine) need to be balanced with your serotonin levels.

#5 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:32 PM

I wasn't aware that people experianced any problems with supplementation of Tyrosine. I know Shepard takes 3g of Tyrosine daily. And I have personally taken it for several months at a dosage of 1g daily, though I have just recently increased it to 2g daily. I haven't noticed any more anxiety or depression than I usually have, but then again I do experiance both quite heavily from time to time.

#6 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:35 AM

The anxiety makes sense for those sensitive to it due to what tyrosine converts into. The depression isn't as straight forward, but everyone is unique.

#7 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

what should i cycle with Tyrosine? dlpa, theanine or what ? my dopamine levels are very low when Im not on this stuff. i like to mix it with low dose caffeine, its awesome.

#8 guyledouche

• Topic Starter
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

The feeling I get is similar to a stimulant crash that I get from caffeine. When caffeine wears off I get very paranoid, depressed, and have no confidence. Is it a dopamine crash or something, are my dopamine levels going below normal when it wears off?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS???????????

#9 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

The feeling I get is similar to a stimulant crash that I get from caffeine. When caffeine wears off I get very paranoid, depressed, and have no confidence. Is it a dopamine crash or something, are my dopamine levels going below normal when it wears off?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS???????????

My guess is that, since tyrosine competes with tryptophan for entrance into the brain, your tryptophan never gets converted to serotonin (or melatonin) and your serotonin levels drop, possibly explaining the depression and anxiety. See this article.

I've started taking 500 mg tryptophan at night before bed and 1000 mg tyrosine in the morning.

Stephen

Edited by stephen_b, 21 February 2008 - 09:57 PM.

#10 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

I tried 2000 mg of tyrosine yesterday as a focus enhancer. I noticed a slight stimming effect, but most of all increased anger. Yikes ... I'm normally very easy going.

Stephen

#11 Don Taucher

• 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

I will use this topic to ask for a few questions related to L-tyrosine.

1. When talking about supplementation with phenylalanine/ tyrosine/L-Dopa or tryptophan/5-HTP people always note the undesirable conversion of these substances into active compounds (catecholamines, serotonin) peripherally.

What does the word “peripherally” actually mean in a context like this? Is it peripheral nervous system (PNS) or does “peripherally” mean simply “before reaching the nervous system” e.g. the conversion takes place in the digestive tract, blood, liver, adrenal glands etc.?

There are anecdotal reports stating that after consumption of tyrosine heart rate and constriction force are increased slightly and some people find out that tyrosine causes a mildly uncomfortable sensation in the chest for them.

So I wonder, is this a result of tyrosine being converted into catecholamines peripherally (outside the nervous system)? Let’s say in this way, tyrosine is converted to catecholamines in the adrenal glands and then epinephrine and norepinephrine is released into the blood stream causing the heart to increase its pace and power.

Or is the increase in the heart’s work actually a result of tyrosine being metabolized in the nervous system? As excitory neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine is created in the nervous system, the excitement is transferred to the heart by the vagus nerve, therefore the heart pace is increased?

2. Since the peripheral conversion of aromatic amino acids may cause undesirable side effects, some people recommend taking aromatic amino acids with EGCG, which acts as a peripheral aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase inhibitor, which is thought not to cross the BBB. We should keep in mind that some studies note that EGCG is hepatotoxic in higher concentrations.

So how much milligrams of pure EGCG (since the concentration of EGCG in green tea extracts varies) do you take with your aromatic amino acids?

3. Some people recommend taking aromatic amino acids with vitamin C and B6, stating that these cofactors are needed for the proper synthesis of neurotransmitters, while others completely disagree, maintaining that vitamin C and B6 would cause a rapid metabolism of aromatic amino acids before reaching the nervous system.

So do tyrosine consumers use these cofactors or take tyrosine alone?

4. Since tyrosine is a stimulant, some people find it harder to fall asleep (even if tyrosine was taken in the morning). Some take tryptophan or 5-HTP at night (to balance serotonin with dopamine and assist sleep).

Do tyrosine users consume any GABAergic substances before bed?

5. Everyone is different, so there is a mixed anecdotal experience on supplementation with tyrosine. Some people have been consuming tyrosine for years without the development of tolerance and they still do get those positive effects of tyrosine, while others report getting tolerant to tyrosine quickly. Therefore, as one can’t be too careful, for some people it may be a good idea to cycle tyrosine.

How do you all tyrosine users cycle tyrosine? What alternatives for tyrosine do you use?

I’ve googled the info and searched the topics about tyrosine on this forum, but I still do need some clarification on the consumption of L-tyrosine. It would be nice if someone could share their knowledge.
  • like x 1

#12 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

I've never seen any study actually showing that dopamine or norepinephrine was actually increased by supplementing with Tyrosine when I looked. Anyone else find different? Also Tyrosine is a precursor for thyroid hormones and it might increase those. But also Tyrosine competes for the Tryptophan transporter which could consequentially blunt the effect of tryptophan or serotonin, I'm guessing. I think anyone who has a crash from Tyrosine should try dosing a couple grams of Tryptophan [with sugar or carbs, not other proteins or supplements] and see if it levels them out.

#13 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

I find taking P5P and Vitamin C to aid the motivational effects Tyrosine offers (in a quite limited manner).

I'm a bit concerned about Tyrosine converting to Tyroxine though. CDP Choline already elevates Tyroxine. Bacopa does so as well. People using this supplements should better watch their thyroid levels.

As for peripheral effects: I guess this depends. While 5 HTP has direct peripheral action on Serotonin receptors I'm not sure this is the concern with Tyrosine. Peripheral in regards with Tyrosine should be the effects Tyrosine has on the CNS which are mediated to the periphery. Not sure though.
L Dopa has a direct effect on peripheral organs again.
It can be concluded that while some precursors have direct peripheral effects and some have peripheral effects mediated by the CNS, precursors aren't a great idea.

There should be more attention of this topic. Free form precursors are potentially dangerous!
At least the following are:

Tyrosine / phenylalanine /dlpa/ l Dopa
Tryptophan/ 5 HTP
Choline

It may be wise to avoid using free form precursors. As for choline, phosphatidylcholine appears to be safe for instance. Tryptophan and 5 HTP should be avoided all together. Tyrosine and DLPA/PA should be used with caution. L DOPA should be avoided since it's supposed to be really dangerous.
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

I will use this topic to ask for a few questions related to L-tyrosine.

1. When talking about supplementation with phenylalanine/ tyrosine/L-Dopa or tryptophan/5-HTP people always note the undesirable conversion of these substances into active compounds (catecholamines, serotonin) peripherally.

What does the word “peripherally” actually mean in a context like this? Is it peripheral nervous system (PNS) or does “peripherally” mean simply “before reaching the nervous system” e.g. the conversion takes place in the digestive tract, blood, liver, adrenal glands etc.?

There are anecdotal reports stating that after consumption of tyrosine heart rate and constriction force are increased slightly and some people find out that tyrosine causes a mildly uncomfortable sensation in the chest for them.

So I wonder, is this a result of tyrosine being converted into catecholamines peripherally (outside the nervous system)? Let’s say in this way, tyrosine is converted to catecholamines in the adrenal glands and then epinephrine and norepinephrine is released into the blood stream causing the heart to increase its pace and power.

Or is the increase in the heart’s work actually a result of tyrosine being metabolized in the nervous system? As excitory neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine is created in the nervous system, the excitement is transferred to the heart by the vagus nerve, therefore the heart pace is increased?

2. Since the peripheral conversion of aromatic amino acids may cause undesirable side effects, some people recommend taking aromatic amino acids with EGCG, which acts as a peripheral aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase inhibitor, which is thought not to cross the BBB. We should keep in mind that some studies note that EGCG is hepatotoxic in higher concentrations.

So how much milligrams of pure EGCG (since the concentration of EGCG in green tea extracts varies) do you take with your aromatic amino acids?

3. Some people recommend taking aromatic amino acids with vitamin C and B6, stating that these cofactors are needed for the proper synthesis of neurotransmitters, while others completely disagree, maintaining that vitamin C and B6 would cause a rapid metabolism of aromatic amino acids before reaching the nervous system.

So do tyrosine consumers use these cofactors or take tyrosine alone?

4. Since tyrosine is a stimulant, some people find it harder to fall asleep (even if tyrosine was taken in the morning). Some take tryptophan or 5-HTP at night (to balance serotonin with dopamine and assist sleep).

Do tyrosine users consume any GABAergic substances before bed?

5. Everyone is different, so there is a mixed anecdotal experience on supplementation with tyrosine. Some people have been consuming tyrosine for years without the development of tolerance and they still do get those positive effects of tyrosine, while others report getting tolerant to tyrosine quickly. Therefore, as one can’t be too careful, for some people it may be a good idea to cycle tyrosine.

How do you all tyrosine users cycle tyrosine? What alternatives for tyrosine do you use?

I’ve googled the info and searched the topics about tyrosine on this forum, but I still do need some clarification on the consumption of L-tyrosine. It would be nice if someone could share their knowledge.

1. Peripheral conversion of catecholamines occurs primarily in the autonomic nervous system and adrenal medulla, but can also occur in the digestive tract and within the bloodstream. The peripheral effects of catecholamine precursors are mostly due to increased norepinephrine synthesis and release within the perhipheral autonomic system. It's very reasonable to assume that noradrenergic effects within the CNS trigger some of the sympathetic activity, but these effects are greatly lessened by taking tyrosine or levodopa with a PAAD inhibitor. Thus, the somatic side effects are mostly due to norepinephrine synthesis directly within the PNS.

However, levodopa/tyrosine-induced nausea and vomiting are not caused by sympathetic activity. Elevated levels of dopamine in the bloodstream activate the chemoreceptor trigger zone, a toxin detection system in the brain which is located outside of the blood-brain barrier. Normally, blood catecholamines cannot penetrate the CNS, but dopamine can enter the chemoreceptor trigger zone and thus cause nausea/vomiting.

In the case of peripheral serotonin generation, direct stimulation of 5HT3 receptors within the digestive tract is a putative mechanism for causing nausea -- the digestive tract feeds this information back into the CNS through the vagus nerve, and stimulates the nausea/vomiting system within the brain. This causes the subjective feeling of nausea. If the system is activated strongly enough, the vomiting reflex is activated.

2. No clue. I just take low enough doses of tyrosine or levodopa that they don't cause nausea or sympathetic hyperactivity anyway. 2 DopaBean capsules (50mg levodopa) or 2 grams of tyrosine on an empty stomach is my max; any more causes more trouble than it's worth.

3. Some take them with, some take them without. A good daily multivitamin ought to have your B6 and C needs covered anyway, though.

4. Yes, some do that. I personally did not find this necessary, as morning doses wore off long before bedtime. But if I had found it necessary, I would have taken an anti-noradrenergic drug instead of a GABAergic drug, because GABA did not cause the insomnia in the first place. Catecholamines did, and I prefer to solve the original imbalance instead of covering it up with a new imbalance. Clonidine, guanfacine, and tradozone are effective alpha-antagonizing sedatives. (Actually, clonidine and guanfacine are alpha agonists, but they're alpha-2 agonists, which means they're sympatholytic sedatives. They indirectly antagonize alpha-1, beta, and dopamine systems.) I've used them before when I took ritalin too late at night and I needed to cancel out the stimulation in order to sleep.

5. I never used tyrosine or levodopa with any regularity. I treated them as "emergency" drugs for when exhaustion or illness was threatening my ability to work. For ADHD, anxiety, and depression, I used drugs which are approved for chronic treatment of those conditions, and also CBT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users