- - - - -

Whats so bad about milk?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

Well after reading through these forums, i find alot of posts saying to stay away from milk but i was wondering why this is?

as i see it here are the pros and cons

Pros-
High in vitamins and minerals-
it contains high levels of iodine, vitamin d and ofcourse calcium which, besides dairy products, isnt contained at very high levels in other foods.
High in quality protien-
Whey and casien
Contains bioactive goodies-
Lactoferrin for example

Cons-
Apparently high in AGE's-
Considering most ways of preparing meat or even vegetables exposes these foods to much longer periods of heat than the pasturization process then surely it cant be too bad? Also isnt whey protien powder subjected to a level of pasturization?
Contains IGF-1-
ASAIK isnt it only associated with decreased longevity?

Unless im missing something completly obvious, surely there isnt much reason to completly cut it out?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

On paper, I agree that there seems little reason to not drink milk. Some feel everyone has a slight allergy to milk, some do the whole "no animals drink milk past infancy", some go with "it gives you cancer, autoimmune disorders, lupus, polio, etc.". And then there is always the combo of the three. Although, for some reason, most anti-milk people don't have the same prejudice for raw dairy. Which is basically the opposite view of most scientists.

#3 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

it can be fine in moderation for those that tolerate it well. the combined fats/carbs/proteins give a synergistic insulin reaction, despite a low glycemic index.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

For almost every substance on the earth there exists a group of extremists who think it "is the most terrible/evil substance/supplement/food product" that has ever existed. I am not overstating things. Same goes for milk. Is it nature's perfect food? No. Is it "evil"? No. Moderation is a good rule.
  • Agree x 1

#5 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

Cons-
Apparently high in AGE's-

I would like to see a reference for that. "High" relative to what?

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

For almost every substance on the earth there exists a group of extremists who think it "is the most terrible/evil substance/supplement/food product" that has ever existed. I am not overstating things. Same goes for milk. Is it nature's perfect food? No. Is it "evil"? No. Moderation is a good rule.

quoted for truth

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Milk is fine in moderation like Mind says. Dairy fat should definitely be minimized. Lots of lactose isn't good for most people either.

#8 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Most things can be taken in moderation. One reason not stated for avoiding milk is the fact it contains hormones and antibiotics given to cows to increase milk production and make them healthier. The hormones are not good for you. The antibiotics are not good either. They can cause antibiotic resistant bacteria to grow. Then of course there is mad cow but that's another subject. Unless you are a calf, do not drink much cow's milk.

#9 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

One of the big problems is pasteurization

In Europe and Canada milk is pasteurized slowly at a lower temperature
This is the ideal way to pastuerize - Low and slow - More of the beneficial bacteria live through the process and this enhances flavor and eases the digestion process

In the US our milk is flash pateurized or heated hotter and quicker - All of the bacteria die and we get no assistance with digestion...This will tax other digestive methods like your pancreas and many people develop allergies and digestive issues - This type of milk is not ideal and it higher in AGE's

Many European and Canadian Cheeses have much more color and flavor due to higher bacteria counts - You will see colors in European cheeses that do not exist in this country

The way our milk is processed affects every other milk product - When you combine the issue with AGE's, antibiotics, hormones and pesticides it caused me to switch over to Soy Milk (which may have its own issues)

I just don't think milk is worth it

I severely minimized my dairy products and if possible I always prefer imported brands - I do occassionally eat domestic organic yogurt and I also consume whey after a work-out because of cost issues

I'd love to eat organic raw dairy products - There is an outside chance it may kill you (harmful bacteria)
...seeing as this is a longevity board I tend to shy away from such possibilities -
I only tried it once and its definitely tempting to throw caution to the wind
  • like x 1

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

I'd love to eat organic raw dairy products - There is an outside chance it may kill you (harmful bacteria)
...seeing as this is a longevity board I tend to shy away from such possibilities -
I only tried it once and its definitely tempting to throw caution to the wind

Raw whole milk may be the finest non-alcoholic drink known to man.

#11 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:12 AM

i used to get raw organic goat's milk from a local farmer (in Oklahoma).

it was the most strengthening food i'd ever had.

#12 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

You are all a bunch of heroin addicts!!! LOL.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Casomorphin

#13 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

There was recently a new vitamin found to be plentiful in milk that is a SIRT activator if I remember correctly - similar to Resveratrol. 'Something Ribose' I think.

Seems like a good reason in itself. I drink tons of the stuff and I suspect that it is one of the main things that has kept me alive.

#14 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

I drink tons of the stuff and I suspect that it is one of the main things that has kept me alive.

That is a pretty strong statement.
  • dislike x 1

#15 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

I drink tons of the stuff and I suspect that it is one of the main things that has kept me alive.

I don't know. I drink tons of water and I'm pretty sure it's one of the main things that has kept me alive.
  • like x 2

#16 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

I don't know. I drink tons of water and I'm pretty sure it's one of the main things that has kept me alive.

[lol]

#17 woly

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:25 AM

On a side note ive started eating yoghurt. I figure its basically the same as milk but with live cultures too.

#18 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

I agree

Raw milk = Decadence

#19 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

I replaced cow’s milk by soy milk. I think that soy milk is much healthier than cow's milk.

#20 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

I replaced cow’s milk by soy milk. I think that soy milk is much healthier than cow's milk.

I've done the same. I drink unsweetened soy milk (also in moderation). Make sure it is unsweetened or you are a getting quite a bit of sugar.

#21 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:22 AM

My vote for the most cow milk-like soy milk is Vitasoy
- I prefer the Vitasoy Light Original flavor - This brand is organic and does not contain Carageenan

#22 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:42 AM

what about the estrogen danger? is it just hype?

#23 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

Unless you are a calf, do not drink much cow's milk.

There are many reasons for or against consuming milk and dairy products in general, but the one stated above is the least logical. I have seen this statement quite a bit on the super-anti dairy websites - the fact that no other animal drinks milk (or cows milk) as an adult. The simple fact is that no other animal can. Human beings are the only animals that are advanced enough to maintain large herds of dairy cows (and goats for that matter) for the sole purpose of augmenting their diet.

#24 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

s123 says:

How do we get from, it is white and liquid and calling it milk. It is a completly different product piggybacking off of another product. They don't even taste the same.

As for my strong statement, I think it is well backed up in my situation and if you want more details, pm me.
  • like x 2

#25 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

There are many reasons for or against consuming milk and dairy products in general, but the one stated above is the least logical. I have seen this statement quite a bit on the super-anti dairy websites - the fact that no other animal drinks milk (or cows milk) as an adult. The simple fact is that no other animal can. Human beings are the only animals that are advanced enough to maintain large herds of dairy cows (and goats for that matter) for the sole purpose of augmenting their diet.

Well put, Mind. I've been trying to communicate that to vegans for awhile now. All I get in return is a superior attitude and proselytizing.

#26 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:11 AM

I've gotten raw goat's milk for my family for years, from a provider in Oregon and now in TX. I've been considering getting a pet goat for milking, have been looking into it :)

#27 stuartes

• 33 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

I am not sure about the rest of the country but in Calif you can still get real milk; raw (unpasteurized) and organic (no anti-biotics or hormones). Raw milk + organic cereal + fruit is a great way to start the day.

#28 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

s123 says:
As for my strong statement, I think it is well backed up in my situation and if you want more details, pm me.

Fair enough, I was fishing for details. It's a pretty extraordinary claim on its own.

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

I am not sure about the rest of the country but in Calif you can still get real milk; raw (unpasteurized) and  organic (no anti-biotics or hormones).

As far as I know, California is the only real place where they allow it to be sold in a supermarket type setting. You can get it in most (all?) of the other states from farms or some health-food stores. For "pet" consumption, of course.

#30 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:23 AM

here in Colorado you can get raw cheese, butter, and yogurt at a supermarket. I get my milk from a local farmer who raises goats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users