- - - - -

Testing food and/or supps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

During the discussion about flouride in green tea, the topic of potentially contaminated food from China and India came up (heavy pollution in those countries nowadays). This brought back into my mind the thought of testing some common foods for heavy metals. When at the grocery store the other day, I was buying some mushrooms and I noticed they were all from China. A lot of fish is also from China. Manadrin oranges. Green tea. I know that some of these things have been tested and some details about heavy metal concentrations are online, but I was wondering if there were any products that have not been tested in recent years (when pollution has increased dramatically). I would like to test some green tea, mushrooms, oranges, fish, etc... and find out if the levels of heavy metals (or other toxins) are substantially higher in imports from China and India. I was just thinking a few of us could pool a few bucks and maybe Imminst could spare a little to conduct some testing through a 3rd party lab. Someone mentioned in the forums that some labs only charge $70 per sample. I was thinking this would be a good service to members and could possibly make for a good news story.

Just a thought. Let me know what you think.

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Was at a store the other day and looked at some natural sausage casings (sheep intestines). Really strange that on the package it said the casings were from Australia and the U.S. but packaged in China. What a waste of resources. If the sheep are raised in the U.S. why ship the "casings" to China for packaging, just to have them shipped back to the U.S. for sale? They were in a simple vaccuum pack - hardly needing any labor.

It made me think of this project idea again. Discussions of heavy metal contamination problems in supps from China are all over these forums. Then I just saw this article about 8 million acre of farmland in China being too polluted to grow anything. I doubt there is hardly any agricultural product from China that is NOT contaminated heavily with all kinds of toxins - including green tea. BTW, where do you people buy your green tea from? I get mine from the supermarket and almost all of it comes from the "the land of heavy metals" China.
  • like x 1

#3 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm hoping something like this can be successful
http://www.indiegogo...-s-in-your-food

But there do seem to be some doubts about it's claimed functioning.

#4 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

I've ordered 30+ different supplements in bulk from China all of which I have tested and have never had any issue with metal contaminants. I think the problem is not China but resellers in the USA not picking their Chinese vendors wisely. It is not very intelligent, in my opinion, to characterize all Chinese Manufacturers by the mistakes of a select number of Chinese Manufacturers. That's like the biggest stereotype foul in the book, with regards to anything.

Many heavy metals in bulk supplements are easily removed by basic chemical purification processes. Part of the reason I am so highly skeptical of everyone claiming Chinese Supplements are low quality, not only for the fact that out of 30+ products in bulk I have never received anything contaminated, but additionally by the nature which they supplements/chemicals are synthesized and extracted, it is difficult to skip the purification steps which would remove heavy metals, without the product having a very dirty/non white appearance. Given, some supplements are naturally off-colored, but the good majority aren't.

I would advise anyone who is thinking of ordering supplements from China not to be put off by all these contaminated supplement claims and actually do their research before they go ordering from some random manufacturer. Many of these low-quality problems can easily be avoided with proper care and attention. Often times such care and attention is not applied by these major resellers here in the United States such as Cerebral Health and other importers(not that they are bad companies), but simply for the fact that their businesses operate on sourcing large quantities of different supplements, and its unrealistic for one supplier to supply them all. This means they have to work with multiple suppliers, meaning much more time is needed to investigate/research, and often times this step is skipped all together.

This does not only apply to US supplement wholesalers either. Companies that press vitamin pills and get them on the shelf in stores are just as likely to be purchasing from China from the same companies as the supplement wholesalers. Most of the time you can find out if they are or not by asking. If they refuse to answer, they most likely are, and some will simply be honest that they are. It is just entirely unrealistic and highly unlikely to think everyone of these supplements that are in pills in stores are sources from regulated US/European companies. It's not just unlikely it's impossible. China is the biggest manufacturer and supplier in the world for this sort of stuff, so there will inevitably be bad with the good.

Edited by Siro, 07 January 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

I've ordered 30+ different supplements in bulk from China all of which I have tested and have never had any issue with metal contaminants. I think the problem is not China but resellers in the USA not picking their Chinese vendors wisely. It is not very intelligent, in my opinion, to characterize all Chinese Manufacturers by the mistakes of a select number of Chinese Manufacturers. That's like the biggest stereotype foul in the book, with regards to anything.

That is true, but I worry about agricultural products as well, like green tea. I don't think my eyes deceive me when I see all the pictures of foul land, smog, and polluted rivers.

Supps are a different story, only have to worry getting ripped off with fillers - like starch.

#6 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

I've often been concerned about the so called green-tea fluoride contamination, though from research I was lead to believe this isn't fault of China, but rather by nature of fluoride in small quantities being abundantly present as a naturally occurring element all throughout the earth, albiet in small amounts. Supposedly the only way to truly avoid this is to grow the green tea hydroponically with ultra pure fertilizing nutrients, and with the usage of purified water, which, on a large scale isn't economically, with the present technology.

China does indeed have very bad pollution problems, but I don't think it is widespread around the entire country. Mostly around major mining cities and what not. China is a very large place, much of it unexplored and uninhabited. It is possible that some agricultural businesses could be out in the country as to avoid this heavy pollution influence. It definitely of concern, though, it is probably a good idea to keep in mind also that these people running these factories/plants are likely no less intelligent than the people running them over here or in Europe and are well aware of possible contaminations. Not that we should rule them out, but we should at least give the Chinese a little bit of credit.

I've noticed an oddly reoccurring pattern in America where whenever I bring up Chinese economics of trading people seem to talk about the Chinese like they're all mindless zombies or all working in sweat shops. I'm not saying this is what you're implying, as I definitely share your concern. I don't want fluoride in my body and I am a lover of Green Tea. I have often thought about starting my own Hydroponic Garden to grow my own herbs and teas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users