• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Circular Spacetime and Immortality

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Delusional

• 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

Circular Spacetime and Immortality

Here is a thought!

What if everything is repeated over and over again? The spacetime we leave is recreated by a quantum computer to recreate/reborn a certain individual, say X (when he dies)

The reasons for recreating the individual X are following:

- he has created the quantum computer

- possesses the technology to make humans immortal (replaces/repairs the dead non-functional cells)

- a technology that can map, communicate and control human beings(by influencing the brain chemistry/tissues/etc.). One can imagine as the force used by jedi in star wars, but with help of quantum mechanics.

- he is the sole owner of all this and if the technology to influence human beings falls into the wrong hand it could mean doom for humanity. So he acts as the care taker.

So every time this care taker dies (or his brain matter gets destroyed), the quantum computer realigns

space (planets/stars/etc.) and initializes the human species evolution to bring back the same timeline and hence the caretaker.

So lets say our timeline is repeated and we are just living the same thing over and over again. Same countries are created, same presidents being elected, etc. with a difference. The difference being the advance technology to make us immortal, the quantum computer and the technology that can control us are all out here.

Anyways, if this is the reality, what does it mean for all the people beside X? Does that mean X cannot die until the quantum computer is destroyed? And the rest of humanity is just a pawn being recreated in some sick celestial game?

Responses are appreciated.

#2 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

Hello and Welcome to Imminst Delusional! ;)

I have thought about this topic for quite some time now, and
I really glad someone brought this issue up. Though I think
there should be similar posts in the forum, I don't know, I'm
too lazy to look :)

Some other possibilities which I have thought along this line are ...

1) What if we already achieved immortality and billions of years
later, after we learned all the knowledge of the universe and
have the power to control all the matter and energy in it, we
became so bored that we simply recreated the universe and
we are reliving are lives over and over again in every finite
possible way.

2) What if we died and this is heaven and (like you said) we are
reliving our lives over and over again.

It's very possible that this whole universe is simply a simulation
that is repeated infinitely many times. Now, whether this simulation
is an alien quantum computer, or our own doing, or heaven, or
maybe even somebodies dream, the answer is that we simply
don't know. Anything is and everything is possible!

Anyways, if this is the reality, what does it mean for all the people beside X? Does that mean X cannot die until the quantum computer is destroyed? And the rest of humanity is just a pawn being recreated in some sick celestial game?

The truth is, we don't know what is real. If the scenario that you
have outlined is true, then we are indeed meaningless pawns in
a simulation stuck in an infinite loop. The whole concept of
consciousness could simply be an illusion and that life is being
played out like a movie.

What does this mean for humanity? Two things.

1. We are powerless to do anything.

2. If we are living in a simulation run by an alien quantum
computer, then maybe there is a way for us to 'hack' into
and change it's programing to favor our interests.

There's a million type of scenario's and all have an equal opportunity
to be true. The best thing we can do now is to 'assume' this is the real
and only world and go on from there (ie achieving immortality, singularity, etc.).

#3 Delusional

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:00 AM

Kostas: What would you do if you were the person X. The universe bends at your wish! What vision should X have?! Any thoughts? Anyone!?

Hello and Welcome to Imminst Delusional! :)

I have thought about this topic for quite some time now, and
I really glad someone brought this issue up. Though I think
there should be similar posts in the forum, I don't know, I'm
too lazy to look ;)

Some other possibilities which I have thought along this line are ...

possible way.

2) What if we died and this is heaven and (like you said) we are
reliving our lives over and over again.

It's very possible that this whole universe is simply a simulation
that is repeated infinitely many times. Now, whether this simulation
is an alien quantum computer, or our own doing, or heaven, or
maybe even somebodies dream, the answer is that we simply
don't know. Anything is and everything is possible!

The truth is, we don't know what is real. If the scenario that you
have outlined is true, then we are indeed meaningless pawns in
a simulation stuck in an infinite loop. The whole concept of
consciousness could simply be an illusion and that life is being
played out like a movie.

What does this mean for humanity? Two things.

1. We are powerless to do anything.

2. If we are living in a simulation run by an alien quantum
computer, then maybe there is a way for us to 'hack' into
and change it's programing to favor our interests.

There's a million type of scenario's and all have an equal opportunity
to be true. The best thing we can do now is to 'assume' this is the real
and only world and go on from there (ie achieving immortality, singularity, etc.).

sponsored ad

• Advert

• Lurker

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

If I was so omniscient as to know all of the secrets of the Universe, I'd begin searching for a way to travel to other universes, and if no such things existed then I would find a way to create them.

New universes, new constants, new rules... they'd be filled with things that no superintelligence could even imagine existing.

That would be fun.

And instead of sharing my home universe with 6 billion others, I'd rather find or create an empty one and modify it in such a way as to achieve absolute immortality myself.

Yet, in that case we would be back to the matter at hand, as some believe that this has already happened.

#5 vyntager

• 120 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

Kostas: What would you do if you were the person X. The universe bends at your wish! What vision should X have?! Any thoughts? Anyone!?

Rejoice. X has probably achieved hir goal, so why would it care aftewards. Or maybe that since at each reset X has a possibility to evolve into a (sightly) different person, then at some point it will end the system.

One question, let's say the universe is condemned to end in a maximal entropic state, but it is possible to create a fully reversible computer that could go on forever, but that would of course have a finite memory and finite possible different states, as well as no means to communicate/interact ever with the outside (I think it's necessary if you want it to survive eternally as a reversible system - I dunno, let's say you put it in a closed time like loop for instance).

Would you rather exist as a being in the sim space of that computer, knowing that this would entail you'd be condemned to, after a certain finite amount of time, repeat the exact same actions, again and again for all eternity, or would you rather die, let go of your existence ?

Edited by vyntager, 03 March 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#6 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

In spirit of this thread, here is a short story by Isaac Asimov:

The Last Question

Edited by Kostas, 03 March 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#7 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

possible way.

The problem is that that scenario is entirely contrary to who I am. I would never willingly give up that knowledge and trap myself in a flawed universe, and convince myself I would die there. If I were that bored, I'd probably modify my emotion system so that I could be interested in things even though I'd have all the answers.

Well, for starters, I'd give immortality to all who wanted it.

Would you rather exist as a being in the sim space of that computer, knowing that this would entail you'd be condemned to, after a certain finite amount of time, repeat the exact same actions, again and again for all eternity, or would you rather die, let go of your existence ?

Is there a difference? Either way, you'd only have a finite period of time to accumulate knowledge and life experiences.

#8 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

The problem is that that scenario is entirely contrary to who I am. I would never willingly give up that knowledge and trap myself in a flawed universe, and convince myself I would die there. If I were that bored, I'd probably modify my emotion system so that I could be interested in things even though I'd have all the answers.

Is it really? No one can predict what will happen so far off into the future, but based on our current powers of deduction, isn't it a bit plausible that after we essentially become God we relive our lives ... of course under controlled conditions. We would not actually delete our memory, we would just set it aside. And we would never be able to become harmed in the simulation. Again this is only one possibility, and frankly I came up with it when I was in high school, so its also a bit naive.

But of course, who is to say what the metaphysical is? For all we know reality and awareness might be an illusion. We might be living in a Matrix, or a Truman Show, or this could just be some alien simulation or computer, or our whole lives might just be one large movie being played out purposely. There's also the possibility that theists are right. The best we can do right now is not to look so far off into the future, but to concentrate on the present to insure that we have a future.

#9 vyntager

• 120 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:34 AM

Is there a difference? Either way, you'd only have a finite period of time to accumulate knowledge and life experiences.

Not much, except that in the case of the eternal reenactment you'd have a potentially bigger finite amount of experience (you could even live without being aware of that, like reenacting all the human lives you could have lived through or whatnot); yet I think quite a few people would feel fidgety about being trapped into such a loop forever.

#10 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

Dude, I wish I had better than imaginary sniff of what you're smoking... :)

#11 Delusional

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:14 AM

What Future...if it is circular?! Future is now.

D

possible way.

Well, for starters, I'd give immortality to all who wanted it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users