- - - - -

Safe chelation of Mercury/Cadmium/Iron/Lead

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Iron Chelation:

IP6 - Been taking it for a while. Seems very safe and I have had no adverse effects.

Mercury Chlation:

This subject seems a little touchy because releasing stored mercury is bad, substances that get past the brain/blood barrier, and safe chelators. Any thoughts or recommendations on this. Does NAC work for this? I know subject in itself is touchy. Cilantro? Chlorela(sp)?

Lead Chelation:

What works for this?

Cadmium (mainly ex smokers):

Or this?

Edited by mikeinnaples, 20 December 2007 - 06:34 PM.

#2 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Mercury Chlation:

This subject seems a little touchy because releasing stored mercury is bad, substances that get past the brain/blood barrier, and safe chelators. Any thoughts or recommendations on this. Does NAC work for this? I know subject in itself is touchy. Cilantro? Chlorela(sp)?

luv2increase mentioned that ALA (alpha lipoic acid) chelates mercury (or rather dislodges it) and that a second supplement like chlorella might be needed to bind it once it's been dislodged. I wish we had more science on this, and wonder if some researchers shy away from experimenting in this area. Here's a link supporting ALA as a Hg chelator.

See PMID 1585376: "Effect of lipoic acid on biliary excretion of glutathione and metals", which is a bit over my head.

Stephen

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

I believe we have talked about this before so google the forums.

but anyways

oral DMSA for mercury, lead, cadmium and an assortment of other metals

IV EDTA for mercury, lead, cadmium and an assortment of other metals

oral EDTA (only 5-18% is actually absorbed) for a very slow version of what you can get with IV

IP6 or better yet regularly give blood to get rid of iron

Personally, I did IV EDTA, then oral DMSA (one bottle, I forget how much it was I just followed the directions).

Longterm, I take 1 gram of EDTA orally at night (much cheaper than DMSA) just to clear out anything that I continue to come in contact with (my cocoa habit for instance, though I now only consume standardized extracts that well hopefully have less lead) there are some other life extension people around who have recommended the every day use of low dose EDTA so I dont think I am the only one. EDTA is very cheap especially in bulk powder.

edit: for clarity

Edited by edward, 21 December 2007 - 12:43 AM.

• like x 1

#4 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

I don't know if what this article claims is actually true, but it states that a low-carb high protein diet helps with heavy metal removal, also a "correct cholesterol response":

In a human trial, a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet was compared to a low-protein, high-carbohydrate diet. The researchers found greater clearance of toxins with the high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet and diminished clearance when the ratio was reversed.33,34 To utilise the protein correctly, the fat on the "lamb" needs to be eaten. The use of additional butter or lard in cooking is of paramount importance. By having adequate fat, bile production is stimulated, absorption of minerals increased and the excretion of mercury facilitated as long as constipation is avoided.

In my practice, I have found that people who are sturdy in structure recover more quickly and have less reactivity during their treatment, compared with people who are extremely thin or who lose the most weight or undergo ill-advised fasting procedures concurrently while having been exposed to toxins such as mercury.35 This observation is supported by recent studies published in the Journal of Obesity.36

A correct cholesterol response is fundamental to move mercury and other neurotoxins to sites where they can be excreted. A Danish study of 50,318 users of statin (cholesterol-lowering) drugs revealed a higher risk of peripheral neuropathy related to the percentage of drop in total cholesterol. In other words, lowering cholesterol increases risk of reactivity to nerve toxins resulting in pain, paraesthesia, numbness and demyelinating effects. Six additional studies since 1994 have indicated the same rise in polyperipheral neuropathy symptoms for users of statin drugs, supporting our clinical findings that low cholesterol levels in the presence of a potent neurotoxin such as mercury found in amalgam fillings or any other source, is a recipe for disaster. Nervanne's history was characteristic of this pattern.

http://www.westonapr...ns/mercury.html

#5 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

Arginine also appears to help with mercury issues.

#6 ingscnixsi

• 20 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

Liquid Zeolite.

http://www.liquidcellularzeolites.com/

I just bought this stuff and I'm going to use it while doing my chelation.

Mercury Magnet.

http://www.cocoonnut...cury_magnet.php

They say this stuff is good too, but I can't find any other information online about it.

#7 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:04 AM

ALA is the Mercury chelator. 200mg every 4 hours, day and night, for 3 days per week. I did this for a year and a half and my asthma was essentially cured, among other benefits.

www.noamalgam.com

is a link to a friend's website about Mercury issues and chelation.

#8 mikeinnaples

• Topic Starter
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:13 AM

Holy 2 year old post bump ....I dont need this answered anymore :)

#9 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:18 AM

I will say this. If you have a legitimate mercury toxicity issue. Please look up the Andrew Cutler protocol. You WILL get worse by just randomly taking chelators listed here, which I experienced for over a year. My health is finally getting back on track.

#10 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

All I take is just take half a clove of garlic a day with a 200mg capsule of ALA. it works like a charm, honestly, I had no idea how many issues mercury was causing me until about a week into my chelation therapy when i noticed that i wasn't as red in general and i could actually think for the first time in god know how long.

#11 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

NAC is supposed to do the same and improve memory at the same time.

#12 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

good thread but interesting how hard it is to chelate and remove those metals.

#13 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

http://www.stepstope..._of_mercury.htm
Maybe potassium ?

#14 m00k0w

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Extremely valuable knowledge.

According to some, everyone has some amount of totally unnecessary and damaging heavy metals in their body/brain from exposure to today's environment. A mild form of chelation once in a while should be a regular regimen, unimpeding other supplements from working. For some with unavoidable brain fog or fatigue, this may help. Chelation also removes harmful buildups of random metals not generally considered unsafe that you may by chance be exposed to in large amounts in your workplace or home from some unsuspected source.

CUTLER PROTOCOL is the way, the only safe way.

I bought DMSA to use for the cutler protocol... the bottle said take the entire capsule twice per day. This is damaging! Proper use involves taking small amounts, every 3-4 hours, for some number of days. The blood levels must remain steady. Then a few days are taken as a break. The dosing is repeated, slowly increasing in quantity with each trial.

And the most important thing: a lot of dislodged heavy metals are excreted intestinally (presumably biliary) if the chelator didn't pick them up. This means you must eat lots of fat and fiber and stay as regular as possible throughout, or the metals will be reabsorbed before you use the washroom. The fat is used to stimulate bile production for liver excretion of glutathione; adding olive oil to the diet is a generally good thing, and saturated fat is in fact not bad and (I believe) adding more along with a range of healthy fat sources regulates cholesterol profile (it's carbs that ruin your blood lipid/cholesterol profile).

ALA crosses the BBB which, if you have stored or ingested mercury in the body, will carry tons of mercury into your brain. Thus the Cutler protocol describes that you first use DMSA alone to remove as much as possible from the body (at which point there is a gradient pulling the brain mercury slowly into the body), only then do you add ALA to enter into and reach what's in the brain.

Throughout all this, glutathione should be kept high which involves eating HIGH QUALITY protein sources: nuts and fish, whole grains, vegetables, fruit. Buckwheat has a higher protein percentage by weight than some meats, and the protein is typically more bioavailable, not being burnt and therefore damaged by strange cooking. The protocol also describes large doses of vitamin C are to be taken before, during and after to protect from oxidative stress due to metal mobilization.

As well, throughout this, and in general if you've got a heavy metal load in your body, do not eat garlic, cilantro, chlorella, spirulina, etc. These pick up a lot of heavy metals but do not hold onto them very tightly, so what is happening is they are throwing the metals around, causing damage without doing much to actually collect and carry them out of the body. That is what a chelator like DMSA does extremely well - bind tightly to the metal atom. For this reason the blood level must be kept steady for days, as fluctuations pick up and drop metals unnecessarily.

To conclude: Cutler protocol is the only method. EDTA may work but has been shown to not be as effective (so presumably causes collateral damage as it inefficiently removes metals) and IV chelation with DMSA or related is also very hard on the body. Fast, but overkill and brute. I found my DMSA in capsule form online.

Edited by JoshW, 25 December 2012 - 11:32 AM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#15 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

do not eat garlic, cilantro, chlorella, spirulina, etc. These pick up a lot of heavy metals but do not hold onto them very tightly, so what is happening is they are throwing the metals around, causing damage without doing much to actually collect and carry them out of the body.

Really? I've always heard the combination of chlorella and cilantro is very effective at safely and gently removing heavy metals. Here is an example of a product: http://www.vitacost....l-oz-2/?NttSR=1

#16 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

if you've got a heavy metal load in your body, do not eat garlic, cilantro, chlorella, spirulina, etc. These pick up a lot of heavy metals but do not hold onto them very tightly, so what is happening is they are throwing the metals around, causing damage without doing much to actually collect and carry them out of the body.

Citations needed.

#17 m00k0w

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I regret posting medical advice and hope it can be edited. All of this is a reiteration of what the cutler protocol says. Go check out that for explanations on why single thiols are damaging when there is a large mercury load, either alone or in combination with better chelators such as dithiols like DMSA.

In regards to cilantro/chlorella, it is effective as a maintenance. It is harmful if there is a larger than average load. These don't bind and remove the metals effectively and therefore, in comparison to a dithiol or better chelator, mobilize and move metals more (as well as move them into the brain) relative to how much they allow to be excreted.

Edited by JoshW, 27 December 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#18 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

JoshW, i found some info on DMSA on wikipedia but its very vague. im not sure it really helps in any way but since you seem so confident, where did you get your information its good for chelation therapy ? also where do you buy it in capsules and how long you have been taking it, with any result ??

Edited by dear mrclock, 27 December 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#19 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

JoshW, also how does ALA bind mercury and carry it through BBB ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I take garlic and ALA in combo and it gives me actual results. Many people say that cilantro and chlorella are effective at mobilizing heavy metals, though I have not found much evidence, and personally felt not much difference taking them.
Garlic, unlike many other chelators has been shown to actually be superior than BAL and a few other chelators, and amazingly garlic has almost the same chelating power as DMSA

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3268178

ALA is not such a good chelator when used on its own because its metabolite DHLA, will reduce Fe inside of heme complexes, removing the Fe and at the same time generating free Fe( really terrible)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12565812

but when used in tandem with another chelator like garlic you effectively remove excess Fe, cadmium, mercury, a lot of things from your body very effectively. Before I used garlic, I had this feeling that something wasn't right in my brain, like something was really wrong, but no one would believe me and I questioned it myself, but trust me, you will do your mind and body a favor chelating. :)

-peace

Edited by anagram, 03 January 2013 - 12:21 AM.

• like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users