Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Top 20 Supplements

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31 vasra

• 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Diggin' in the crates and found this old thread.

Yes, all the non-supplemental stuff first.

However, I was somewhat surprised not to find two items that are often mentioned in several longevity studies:

- good social connections (very good, preferably life long friends for sharing pleasure/pain)
- spiritual activities/experiences (e.g. something higher than mere material efforts, does not have to be religious or non-scientific activities, but can be that too)

On these two issues, as entertaining education, I recommend the following:

Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+
http://www.ted.com/t..._to_be_100.html
- There's an additional / specific red wine tip in there for those who have not ditched alcohol altogether. Of course, don't buy everything he says, do your own research.

Your Brain Health Lifestyle, Paul Nusbaum
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1595713654/
- Brain health specific, but does discuss overall health and living healthy. Very easy to read, practical tips, light on references. Again, caveat emptor, but useful, imho

I can personally vouch for the importance of for example f2f socialization (with closest friends) / internet chat time. Too much of the latter, too little of the first and the ratio can easily tip bad for me. And spiritual experiences can be really transformative : they can change your world-view, action, habits and routines profoundly in a fairly short span of time, with very little strict discipline required.

PS I'm an agnostic non-militant practical atheist myself in search of non-religion specific spiritual experiences, but can accommodate other world views. If it works for you, use it, discard the rest (ref. Bruce Lee).

Edited by vasra, 22 February 2010 - 09:56 AM.

#32 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

Diggin' in the crates and found this old thread.

You are digging from 2008.

Probably not something you should do when things tend to change, as do people's view points, based on newer research.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
3. Megadoses of Folic Acid.
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
7. Synthetic Beta-Carotine
8. Iron, especially for men.
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

Keeps me YOUNG.
  • like x 1

#34 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

My current staples:

Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin B
Vitamin D3
Vitamin K2
Vit E: Mixed Tocopherols & Tocotrienols
Carnosine
Benfotiamine
Pyridoxamine
p5p
Whey
Resveratrol
Pterostilbene
Pycnogenol
Quercetin
Cat's Claw
Aged Kyolic Garlic
Bio Curcumin
Alcar Arginate / Alcar
Na-Rala
CDP Choline
Co-Q10
Coconut Oil
Fish Oil
Phosphatidylserine
Biosil
Grape Seed Extract
Green Tea Extract & Green Tea proper
Bacopa Extract
Ashwaghanda
Rhodiola Rosea
Pomegranate Extract
Cocoa
SAM-E
Blueberry Extract
Methy B12 losenges
Niacin
Melatonin
Silymarin
Soluble Fibre / Insoluble Fibre
TMG
Probiotic
Lycopene
Kmag Aspartate
Zinc / Copper Balance
NAC
Ginger
Cayenne Pepper
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#35 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hamishm00, since you have the picture of catalase enzyme as your avatar, do you take any supps to increase catalase levels?

#36 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

top supps for me from my year experimenting:

1. Indium Sulphate, for balanced hypothalamus/hypothesis hormonal feedback loop
2. Piracetam, for when I need to be at the top of my game. Attention and focus greatly improved with pronounced anti-anxiety and mood enhancing effect.
3. Picamilon, has minor nootropic qualities of its own and is good at promoting a calm state of mind. Less reactive to emotional stuff.
4. Gotu Kola, one of the few herbs I take consistently and fuses well with pretty much anything. Mood enhancer and anti-anxiety benefits too.
5. Cod liver oil (in winter) or fish oil (in summer), to keep my brain/body lubricated
6. Idebenone, an antioxidant I no longer take but the effects you get from it are impressive (mood lift, cognitive improvements and synergizes perfectly with piracetam). Discontinued as not totally convinced about its safety.
7. Bacopa, taken late in evening so not to hamper energy levels too much does seem to improve short term memory. Cheap as chips too!
8. ALCAR - for energy
9. White tea - Drink 4/5 cups a day. I find it soothing on my body. Essential for me.
10. Cacao - 10/15g daily for mood boosting effects and antioxidant dense qualities.
11. Rhodiola, taken very sporadically for mood boosting/physical endurance boosting effects.
12. SJW, never take this now but if you find a good brand it can actually be very effective as a tool against depressive mood states.

Supps that have sucked for me:

1.Oxiracetam, ramps up brain speed but also ramps up my anxiety. Bordering on panic attacks even at low doses unfortunately. Will give away for free if anyone wants to pay postage (prob about 45g left purchased from SmartPowders)
2. Inositol, makes me feel weird. Doesn't seem to improve anything. It really works for some people though. I have 300grams i'll give away for free if anyone wants and is willing to pay for postage.
3. Ashwaghanda, dissapointing effects. Very subtle if anything.
4. Sulbutiamine, overrated for me. Gave me a certain amount of body energy but feels like an artificial high as opposed to a piracetam high which feels more natural and is just better imo.

Oh and what I will be trying in the near future:

1. SAM-e (on its way - don't order from AgeStop.com - it's been 5weeks now)
2. Afobazole (shipped)
3. Deprenyl (I will be buying for its anti-aging effects. No more than 1mg every other day - 3 times per week maximum -)

Edited by Thorsten, 22 February 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#37 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

2. Piracetam, for when I need to be at the top of my game. Attention and focus greatly improved with pronounced anti-anxiety and mood enhancing effect.
3. Picamilon, has minor nootropic qualities of its own and is good at promoting a calm state of mind. Less reactive to emotional stuff.
4. Gotu Kola, one of the few herbs I take consistently and fuses well with pretty much anything. Mood enhancer and anti-anxiety benefits too.
5. Cod liver oil (in winter) or fish oil (in summer), to keep my brain/body lubricated
6. Idebenone, an antioxidant I no longer take but the effects you get from it are impressive (mood lift, cognitive improvements and synergizes perfectly with piracetam). Discontinued as not totally convinced about its safety.
7. Bacopa, taken late in evening so not to hamper energy levels too much does seem to improve short term memory. Cheap as chips too!
8. ALCAR - for energy
9. White tea - Drink 4/5 cups a day. I find it soothing on my body. Essential for me.
10. Cacao - 10/15g daily for mood boosting effects and antioxidant dense qualities.
11. Rhodiola, taken very sporadically for mood boosting/physical endurance boosting effects.
12. SJW, never take this now but if you find a good brand it can actually be very effective as a tool against depressive mood states.

1.Oxiracetam, ramps up brain speed but also ramps up my anxiety. Bordering on panic attacks even at low doses unfortunately. Will give away for free if anyone wants to pay postage (prob about 45g left purchased from SmartPowders)
2. Inositol, makes me feel weird. Doesn't seem to improve anything. It really works for some people though. I have 300grams i'll give away for free if anyone wants and is willing to pay for postage.
4. Sulbutiamine, overrated for me. Gave me a certain amount of body energy but feels like an artificial high as opposed to a piracetam high which feels more natural and is just better imo.

2. Afobazole (shipped)
3. Deprenyl (I will be buying for its anti-aging effects. No more than 1mg every other day - 3 times per week maximum -)

please let us know how afobzole goes!

#38 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

Keeps me YOUNG.

*Yawns*

Why the sarcastic reply?

#39 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

My current staples:

Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin B
Vitamin D3
Vitamin K2
Vit E: Mixed Tocopherols & Tocotrienols
Carnosine
Benfotiamine
Pyridoxamine
p5p
Whey
Resveratrol
Pterostilbene
Pycnogenol
Quercetin
Cat's Claw
Aged Kyolic Garlic
Bio Curcumin
Alcar Arginate / Alcar
Na-Rala
CDP Choline
Co-Q10
Coconut Oil
Fish Oil
Phosphatidylserine
Biosil
Grape Seed Extract
Green Tea Extract & Green Tea proper
Bacopa Extract
Ashwaghanda
Rhodiola Rosea
Pomegranate Extract
Cocoa
SAM-E
Blueberry Extract
Methy B12 losenges
Niacin
Melatonin
Silymarin
Soluble Fibre / Insoluble Fibre
TMG
Probiotic
Lycopene
Kmag Aspartate
Zinc / Copper Balance
NAC
Ginger
Cayenne Pepper

You seem to have many similar ideas to me... Although I'm a bit more selective, don't think I could avoid all of those regularly. Three I take regularly besides a lot of the above are:-

Astaxanthin
ACAI (PUTS THE FLAME SUIT ON!)
Red yeast rice

Do you buy your stuff from iHerb?

Edited by shaggy, 22 February 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#40 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Green Tea Extract
Pomegranate Extract
Vitamin D
Vitamin K
Taurine
Creatine
Fish Oil

Most other things are lacking long-term data, evidence, or thorough studies.

#41 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

8. ALCAR - for energy

2. Afobazole (shipped)

please let us know how afobzole goes!

Will do. I have bought 2months of supply, so will report back with what I find csrpj

#42 Hedrock

• 157 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

Carnosine
Benfotiamine
D3
K2
Resveratrol
Procaine
Astragaloside
Ginseng
Ashwaghanda
Sibirian Ginseng
Gotu Kola
Fenugreek
Zinc
Selenium
Ornithin
5-HTP
EGCG
Ecdysterone
Piracetam
Acetylcysteine

#43 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

Keeps me YOUNG.

*Yawns*

Why the sarcastic reply?

*yawn* u guys r no fun

#44 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

For a person who has the basic nutritional needs covered, I recommend consideration of these supps, most of which will be boringly familiar:

Duke, I'm surprised that ALA/ALCAR didn't make your top 23 list for those over 40. Do you take it?

Stephen

Yes. Both. Well, not ALA, but R-LA.

http://www.aor.ca/as...-october_01.pdf

#45 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

Hamishm00, since you have the picture of catalase enzyme as your avatar, do you take any supps to increase catalase levels?

Yeah, I take 3 x LEF Sodzyme with Wolfberry on an empty stomach in the morning.

#46 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

You seem to have many similar ideas to me... Although I'm a bit more selective, don't think I could avoid all of those regularly. Three I take regularly besides a lot of the above are:-

Astaxanthin
ACAI (PUTS THE FLAME SUIT ON!)
Red yeast rice

Do you buy your stuff from iHerb?

Shaggy - totally with you on the astaxanthin / zeaxanthin, I take that daily. Acai I also get through whole berry extracts like Jarrow's Organic Berry High.

Red yeast rice, I'm a bit wary of that (not entirely sure in my own mind why, long story).

#47 mwasnidge

• 49 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:40 PM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

Keeps me YOUNG.

Thanks for the tip, OneScrewLoose! I went and purchased all of those items, and will report back on how that works out!

Seriously though, wtf is Baconaise? It sounds good...

#48 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:46 AM

http://www.baconnaise.com/

#49 Rich D

• 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:49 AM

http://www.baconnaise.com/

OMG, It is for real!! LOL.

#50 mwasnidge

• 49 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:57 AM

Man, screw immortality, I've got to get some bacon salt and baconnaise! The "I would eat it with a spoon" quote is pretty funny...

#51 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

this takes the cake

http://www.jdfoods.n.../mmmvelopes.php

bacon flavored envelopes.

#52 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:11 AM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

This sounds exactly like my teenage to college experience that I am trying to undo. I can't believe I ate Hungry Man (fried chicken) dinners almost every day for a year. Good times though.

#53 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

This sounds exactly like my teenage to college experience that I am trying to undo. I can't believe I ate Hungry Man (fried chicken) dinners almost every day for a year. Good times though.

Yeah that's the funny thing, that this list isn't that far off for a lot of people.

#54 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

I assume when you say peroxide, you mean drinking the stuff? lol

#55 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

I assume when you say peroxide, you mean drinking the stuff? lol

Yeah. I put it up there because someone posted a topic here wondering if drinking peroxide was a good idea as a supplement. :-D

I just had a thought. There are some people out there (not a lot), who'll live like my list, and outlive most of us just cause of genetics. :(

#56 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

What about ptc? IIRC RK wrote that it assists in maintaining cell wall (or was it membrane?) integrity and levels decline with age, however it's completely reversible by supplementation. You can get it through lecithin although only about 20% of lecithin is ptc, and you only absorb about 20% of that (again, IIRC).

Edited by N.T.M., 26 February 2010 - 01:14 AM.

#57 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:02 AM

1. Trans fats
2. Baconaise
4. Butter
5. Grape Juice
6. Cheetos
9. Hungry Man TV Dinners
10. Big Macs
11. Peroxide
12. Magnesium Oxide
13. KFC
14. Whisky
15. Coca Cola
16. Milk Chocolate
17. Cigarettes
18. SERT Inhibitors
19. Heavy Cream
20. Hot Dogs

Yeah that's the funny thing, that this list isn't that far off for a lot of people.

Do you really think Sert inhibitors are all that bad? Aren't you taking Lamictal? That shit is poision IMO. They have no idea if it binding to melanin will have any long term ill effects. Then there are plenty of other things that lamictal could being doing. And yes, I am currently on an SSRI. I just don't think they are that bad for a healthy person that takes care of him/herself.

Also, Grapejuice? I know it is high in sugar but a little organic grape juice cannot be bad for you. If anything it may be good for you.

#58 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:13 AM

Also, Grapejuice? I know it is high in sugar but a little organic grape juice cannot be bad for you. If anything it may be good for you.

Overall it's prolly negative though although I will concede to some healthful things. Think of glycation and insulin resistance though. :(

#59 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Fructose is the worst sugar for you, and grape juice has the highest amount of it. It's really not good for you. In fact, bodybuilders use it to create a huge insulin spike 15 minutes after ingesting creatine to enhance creatine absorption (it works, too).

Also, the effects of ______ are unknown therefore _______ is poisonous is a really bad argument, as that could be said for any number of things. If you got something more concrete, post a link.

EDIT: BTW though, my goal is a little different form those around here. My goal isn't life extension, but rather quality of life extension, being as healthy as possible until I die. Lamictal helps a lot towards that goal. I am looking to switch it to memantine in the near future, but if that doesn't work out then I will stick to the Lamictal. However, if you can post some evidence to concrete health problems, then I am genuinely curious.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 26 February 2010 - 01:55 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Fructose is the worst sugar for you, and grape juice has the highest amount of it. It's really not good for you. In fact, bodybuilders use it to create a huge insulin spike 15 minutes after ingesting creatine to enhance creatine absorption (it works, too).

Also, the effects of ______ are unknown therefore _______ is poisonous is a really bad argument, as that could be said for any number of things. If you got something more concrete, post a link.

EDIT: BTW though, my goal is a little different form those around here. My goal isn't life extension, but rather quality of life extension, being as healthy as possible until I die. Lamictal helps a lot towards that goal. I am looking to switch it to memantine in the near future, but if that doesn't work out then I will stick to the Lamictal. However, if you can post some evidence to concrete health problems, then I am genuinely curious.

I hear ya on the quality of life thing. I don't have any hard evidence, just anecdotal-one person reported having worse vision after years of taking lamictal. They guessed that it may have been due to lamictal's binding to melanin in the ocular nerve.

I guess many people might say SSRIs and other meds are poisonous based on anecdote.

As far as fructose is concerned, I don't think it is so bad if it is coming from a natural source and is consumed in moderation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users