- - - - -

Best way to prepare vegetables?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

I was wondering what everyone thought on the impact of different cooking methods on antioxidant activity of certain vegetables. Ive always microwaved my broccoli for about a minute with the thought that it was one of the best ways to preapre food while preserving its flavinoids however a little of bit googling made me a little less certain. Two conflicting studies i found were:

Abstract
Total flavonoid and individual hydroxycinnamoyl derivative (sinapic and caffeoyl-quinic acid derivative) contents were evaluated in the edible portions of freshly harvested broccoli (cv Marathon inflorescences) before and after cooking and in the cooking water. High-pressure boiling, low-pressure boiling (conventional), steaming and microwaving were the four domestic cooking processes used in this work. The predominant sinapic acid derivatives were identified as 1,2,2-trisinapoylgentiobiose and 1,2-disinapoyl-2-feruloylgentiobiose. In addition 1,2-diferuloylgentiobiose and 1-sinapoyl-2,2-diferuloylgentiobiose were also identified in broccoli inflorescences. The results showed large differences among the four treatments in their influence on flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents in broccoli. Clear disadvantages were detected when broccoli was microwaved, namely high losses of flavonoids (97%), sinapic acid derivatives (74%) and caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives (87%). Conventional boiling led to a significant loss of flavonoids (66%) from fresh raw broccoli, while high-pressure boiling caused considerable leaching (47%) of caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives into the cooking water. On the other hand, steaming had minimal effects, in terms of loss, on both flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents. Therefore we can conclude that a greater quantity of phenolic compounds will be provided by consumption of steamed broccoli as compared with broccoli prepared by other cooking processes. Copyright © 2003 Society of Chemical Industry

link to abstract
and

Abstract
Epidemiological studies have shown that consumption of Brassica vegetables decrease the risk of cancer. These associations are linked to dietary intake of glucosinolates and their metabolism to cancer preventive isothiocyanates. Bioavailability of glucosinolates and related isothiocyanates are influenced by storage and culinary processing of Brassica vegetables. In this work, the content of the 7 major glucosinolates in broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and green cabbage and their stability under different storage and cooking conditions is examined. Glucosinolates and isothiocyanates were quantified by liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometric detection (LC–MS/MS). Isothiocyanates were detected with high sensitivity as the corresponding thiourea derivatives. Storage at ambient temperature and in a domestic refrigerator showed no significant difference and a minor loss (9–26%) of glucosinolate levels over 7 days. Vegetables shredded finely showed a marked decline of glucosinolate level with post-shredding dwell time – up to 75% over 6 h. Glucosinolate losses were detected partly as isothiocyanates. Cooking by steaming, microwaving and stir-fry did not produce significant loss of glucosinolates whereas boiling showed significant losses by leaching into cooking water. Most of the loss of the glucosinolates (90%) was detected in the cooking water. Increased bioavailability of dietary isothiocyanates may be achieved by avoiding boiling of vegetables.

link to abstract

It seems while microwaving may preserve some compounds while degrading others, steaming may be the best choice? What are your thoughts?

As a side note, I read on the linus pauling institute website that broccoli sprouts contain the same amount of sulforaphane compounds as when they a fully grown. Meaning they are a concentrated source of sulforaphane!

#2 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

I was wondering what everyone thought on the impact of different cooking methods on antioxidant activity of certain vegetables. Ive always microwaved my broccoli for about a minute with the thought that it was one of the best ways to preapre food while preserving its flavinoids however a little of bit googling made me a little less certain. Two conflicting studies i found were:

Abstract
Total flavonoid and individual hydroxycinnamoyl derivative (sinapic and caffeoyl-quinic acid derivative) contents were evaluated in the edible portions of freshly harvested broccoli (cv Marathon inflorescences) before and after cooking and in the cooking water. High-pressure boiling, low-pressure boiling (conventional), steaming and microwaving were the four domestic cooking processes used in this work. The predominant sinapic acid derivatives were identified as 1,2,2-trisinapoylgentiobiose and 1,2-disinapoyl-2-feruloylgentiobiose. In addition 1,2-diferuloylgentiobiose and 1-sinapoyl-2,2-diferuloylgentiobiose were also identified in broccoli inflorescences. The results showed large differences among the four treatments in their influence on flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents in broccoli. Clear disadvantages were detected when broccoli was microwaved, namely high losses of flavonoids (97%), sinapic acid derivatives (74%) and caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives (87%). Conventional boiling led to a significant loss of flavonoids (66%) from fresh raw broccoli, while high-pressure boiling caused considerable leaching (47%) of caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives into the cooking water. On the other hand, steaming had minimal effects, in terms of loss, on both flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents. Therefore we can conclude that a greater quantity of phenolic compounds will be provided by consumption of steamed broccoli as compared with broccoli prepared by other cooking processes. Copyright © 2003 Society of Chemical Industry

link to abstract
and

Abstract
Epidemiological studies have shown that consumption of Brassica vegetables decrease the risk of cancer. These associations are linked to dietary intake of glucosinolates and their metabolism to cancer preventive isothiocyanates. Bioavailability of glucosinolates and related isothiocyanates are influenced by storage and culinary processing of Brassica vegetables. In this work, the content of the 7 major glucosinolates in broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and green cabbage and their stability under different storage and cooking conditions is examined. Glucosinolates and isothiocyanates were quantified by liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometric detection (LC–MS/MS). Isothiocyanates were detected with high sensitivity as the corresponding thiourea derivatives. Storage at ambient temperature and in a domestic refrigerator showed no significant difference and a minor loss (9–26%) of glucosinolate levels over 7 days. Vegetables shredded finely showed a marked decline of glucosinolate level with post-shredding dwell time – up to 75% over 6 h. Glucosinolate losses were detected partly as isothiocyanates. Cooking by steaming, microwaving and stir-fry did not produce significant loss of glucosinolates whereas boiling showed significant losses by leaching into cooking water. Most of the loss of the glucosinolates (90%) was detected in the cooking water. Increased bioavailability of dietary isothiocyanates may be achieved by avoiding boiling of vegetables.

link to abstract

It seems while microwaving may preserve some compounds while degrading others, steaming may be the best choice? What are your thoughts?

As a side note, I read on the linus pauling institute website that broccoli sprouts contain the same amount of sulforaphane compounds as when they a fully grown. Meaning they are a concentrated source of sulforaphane!

Take a look at THIS topic

#3 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

I always eat my broccoli raw. Good chewing helps to free the nutrients.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

I always eat my broccoli raw. Good chewing helps to free the nutrients.

Raw broccoli gives me horriblendous gas. So I steam it to keep my marriage intact...

Spinach and kale I eat raw in a smoothie.

Edited by health_nutty, 20 February 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Steam that business, my friend!

Alright specifically - I feel through steaming you keep a fairly decent amount of nutrients to crunch (or what I call: flavour) ratio.

Edited by mitkat, 20 February 2008 - 06:10 PM.
I should write more than "Steam that business, my friend".

#6 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

I typically buy frozen broccoli so I microwave then chuck it in the steamer.

#7 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

"I typically buy frozen broccoli so I microwave then chuck it in the steamer."

-Matt you might want to look up a post with a referenced article I saw on here about a year ago regarding frozen vegetables.

Like you, I used to regularly eat frozen broccolli. For a reason I cannot remember, frozen broccolli loses an insane amount of its nutritional properties when frozen.

I also eat frozen spinach, which according to the article maintains nearly all of its health benefits even frozen.

Just as something you may want to look into,
Regards

#8 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

I see, I read different on the CR Society post a while back...

#9 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

Here's a link to the article (Graph Intensive) mentioned in the post
- http://www.choice.co.....egies better?

#10 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Here's a link to the article (Graph Intensive) mentioned in the post
- http://www.choice.co.....egies better?

I'd be more interested in the phytonutrients that are fairly unique to broccoli such as sulforaphane and IC3. Beta carotene and vit C are easy to obtain.

#11 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

The abstract can't tell you much in this case. You really need to know the boiling and microwave times, for example.

#12 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

The abstract can't tell you much in this case. You really need to know the boiling and microwave times, for example.

I completely agree

- There may or may not be some correlation on how freezing affects these nutrients and how it affects others.

The abstract increased my trust in most Frozen Veggetables. I would definitely like to have more conclusive evidence on how the other phytonutrients are affected, especially the Sulfrophane.

Edited by shadowrun, 21 February 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#13 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

I've been following the same threads on the CR Digest in the past, I buy frozen broccoli then let it thaw in the fridge, or room temp--and just serve it like that, the kids seem to like it better than if it was cooked and a lot more than if it was raw. Some veggies, like squash or carrots they will not eat from a frozen or cooked state, they only like them raw--I've always attributed it to instinct...or just that I've fed them in a much more healthy manner than the average American kid, so they are used to things in a more healthy state.

#14 woly

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

It seems simply raw is probably the best but what is everyones opinion on goitregen compounds that are in broccoli? Ive always microwaved broccoli because I read that heat degrades most of the goitregenous activity. Does anyone know what the impact of these compounds are on a perfectly healthy person?

#15 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

I cook it in chicken broth and then eat it along with the broth.

#16 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:17 AM

Do people try to match the proper foods together with veggies.

Such as spinach w/ lemon juice or tomatoes and bell pepper? Besides the veggies having a lot of nutrients it is also good to do nutrient paring which will actually help release the stored nutrients from the fiber of veggies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users