Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Best form of supplemental magnesium?

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#271 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'm currently getting good results from Mag. Citrate. It's almost as effective as L-Threonate, which is the best Mag supplement IME, tho not even half as pricey. Haven't had any laxative issues either, even with doses of 5 grams and above.

How do you take it?

There's a recommendation somewhere here to use mag citrate powder, mix it with water and let it rest for 10 minutes. This way, I've never had any bowel issues.

#272 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

http://shop.vitaminwelten.de/

I had decided to buy Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate, but to my surprise I discovered that it can't be shipped to my country neither from iHerb, Vitacost nor Amazon. I sent en email to Pure Encapsulations and they replied that they sell only directly to health practitioners and don't want mass marketers to sell their products. They said they can't point me to any distributor. So, since my money is not as good as anyone else's, I tried to find another magnesium glycinate product with as little fillers as possible.

Hi Transcender,

this German site is selling a wide range of Pure Encapsulations products, including Magnesium Glycinate - please see link above (I really don't know why but when I try to add a link it's always placed on the top of my post ...). I often order from them, absolutely reliable, international shipping, maybe a bit pricey.

A lot of Pure Encapsulations products are available also in Austrian Pharmacies, with redesigned labels in German language, and also quite expensive (at least in comparison to iHerb ...).

Best regards.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#273 neuralis

• 84 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

I'm currently getting good results from Mag. Citrate. It's almost as effective as L-Threonate, which is the best Mag supplement IME, tho not even half as pricey. Haven't had any laxative issues either, even with doses of 5 grams and above.

How do you take it?

There's a recommendation somewhere here to use mag citrate powder, mix it with water and let it rest for 10 minutes. This way, I've never had any bowel issues.
I just take it in capsules. Never had any issues. The highest dose I've taken is around 8 grams.

#274 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

The benefits of mgt are the threonate components. L-threaonate is believed to have the best nootropic effect, in addition to increasing magnesium levels. MgT becomes worth it when you consider the nootropic factor

#275 Transcender

• 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

http://shop.vitaminwelten.de/

I had decided to buy Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate, but to my surprise I discovered that it can't be shipped to my country neither from iHerb, Vitacost nor Amazon. I sent en email to Pure Encapsulations and they replied that they sell only directly to health practitioners and don't want mass marketers to sell their products. They said they can't point me to any distributor. So, since my money is not as good as anyone else's, I tried to find another magnesium glycinate product with as little fillers as possible.

Hi Transcender,

this German site is selling a wide range of Pure Encapsulations products, including Magnesium Glycinate - please see link above (I really don't know why but when I try to add a link it's always placed on the top of my post ...). I often order from them, absolutely reliable, international shipping, maybe a bit pricey.

A lot of Pure Encapsulations products are available also in Austrian Pharmacies, with redesigned labels in German language, and also quite expensive (at least in comparison to iHerb ...).

Best regards.

Thank you very much.

I checked the website and, as you said, quite pricey.

#276 message

• 72 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

The benefits of mgt are the threonate components. L-threaonate is believed to have the best nootropic effect, in addition to increasing magnesium levels. MgT becomes worth it when you consider the nootropic factor

Is this anecdotal or are there studies to provide some kind of insight into this?

ALso, which MgT supplement do you recommend and at what dosage?

#277 message

• 72 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

It's a myth that mag oxide is poorly absorbed. The source of the myth was a 2001 paper by Firoz and Graber, which used very short-term urine collection, and came to the erroneous conclusion that the fractional absorption of the oxide form was 4%. Coudray et al. in 2005 published a study that used long term collection, and found that the oxide bioavailability was quite good. Better even than some of the organic forms. Gluconate was the best, in their study. Looking at Plasma Mg, RBC Mg, and Bone Mg at the end of the experiment, no significant difference was found from any form. The Coudray paper has free text, but the headings are buggy in their HTML tables, so be sure to take note of that if you read it. This post may also be interesting.

The bottom line is that there isn't much point in looking for the "best" form of magnesium, because they are all pretty similar in the end. Look at the RBC and Bone magnesium- that's what counts. Oxide has the highest magnesium density of any form by far, so it doesn't require multiple pills, or even a large one. It's also one of the least expensive, and it's quite well tolerated. You should find a form that agrees with your digestive tract and your wallet, and don't bother obsessing over it. If you are looking for special effects like increasing brain Mg, then you will probably want to consider exotic forms like threonate, but be prepared to take a lot of caps.

The supplement industry owes a huge debt to Firoz and Graber, since their erroneous conclusion created an entire market segment.

Has this been refuted in the thread?

• Informative x 1

#278 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:28 AM

I've gotten the best effects from transdermal ancient minerals.. and I've taken it all. transdermal also decreases the laxative effect also

Edited by Plasticperson, 25 November 2014 - 02:28 AM.

#279 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

Has this study been discussed?

Mg citrate found more bioavailable than other Mg preparations in a randomised, double‐blind study

Author(s): Ann F Walker, Georgios Marakis, Samantha Christie, Martyn Byng

Key words: bioavailability, magnesium, Mg oxide, Mg citrate, Mg amino‐acid chelate, RCT.

ABSTRACT

Published data on the bioavailability of various Mg preparations is too fragmented and scanty to inform proper choice of Mg preparation for clinical studies. In this study, the relative bioavailability of three preparations of Mg (amino‐acid chelate, citrate and oxide) were compared at a daily dose of 300 mg of elemental Mg in 46 healthy individuals. The study was a randomised, double‐blind, placebo‐controlled, parallel intervention, of 60 days duration. Urine, blood and saliva samples were taken at baseline, 24 h after the first Mg supplement was taken (acute‘ supplementation) and after 60 days of daily Mg consumption (chronic‘ supplementation). Results showed that supplementation of the organic forms of Mg (citrate and amino‐acid chelate) showed greater absorption (P ∓ 0.033) at 60 days than MgO, as assessed by the 24‐h urinary Mg excretion. Mg citrate led to the greatest mean serum Mg concentration compared with other treatments following both acute (P ∓ 0.026) and chronic (P ∓ 0.006) supplementation. Furthermore, although mean erythrocyte Mg concentration showed no differences among groups, chronic Mg citrate supplementation resulted in the greatest (P ∓ 0.027) mean salivary Mg concentration compared with all other treatments. Mg oxide supplementation resulted in no differences compared to placebo. We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied.

Summary

- bioavailability of Mg Citrate, Mg Oxide and Mg AAC (amino acid chelate) compared
- randomised, placebo controlled human study
- 300 mg magnesium/day, taken for 60 days
- measures: magnesium in urine (collected over a 24 hour period), blood (serum, rbc) and saliva
- measurements were taken 24 hours after the first dose ("acute"), and after 60 days ("chronic")

Results

1) With the organic forms of Mg (amino-acid chelate and citrate) there was a significant increase in urinary Mg excretion compared to Mg oxide and placebo after 60 days:
SozIjJK.png

2) Only Mg citrate significantly increased plasma Mg concentrations both after acute and chronic (60 days) supplementation. (No significant differences in red blood cell Mg concentration among the three treatment groups were detected either with acute or chronic supplementation.)

8nR32bQ.png

3) With acute supplementation there was no significant effect between the groups on salivary Mg concentration, but after 60 days in the group treated with Mg citrate salivary magnesium concentration significantly increased.

czjMqin.png

Pics/ results taken from here: Attached File  Walker_et_al._2003_engl.pdf   63.71KB   2 downloads

Full text: here
  • like x 3
  • Informative x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#280 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

Albion chelates are the best according to my inquests. I take glycinate/lysinate by Dr Best and I find it subtly improves sleep and calm.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#281 itpp

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:42 AM

Topical Magnesium
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#282 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Topical 100 percent no questions asked...

#283 albionminerals

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

I am the Director of Customer Care for Albion Laboratories, Inc.

Albion is guided by the ideal that the people of the world deserve the highest quality mineral nutrition products. This core philosophy can be seen in the way Albion offers abundant material on clinical research and third-party studies, contributes comprehensive information in our educational videos, public newsletters, and websites, and employs its Scientific Advisory Board.

Albion is highly respected in the industry for our customer relations and the way we work closely with our trade customers to provide the highest quality mineral products on the market. However, Albion does not control how our customers label their own products and formulations.

Regarding our magnesium products: in order to provide companies with the choice of mineral forms that will work best in their formulations, Albion manufactures a wide variety of magnesium products, including magnesium bisglycinate chelate, buffered magnesium bisglycinate chelate, and several other magnesium forms. The buffered version of the magnesium bisglycinate chelate contains magnesium oxide, meaning that magnesium oxide is added to the magnesium bisglycinate chelate. This buffered version allows formulators to select a magnesium product with higher elemental magnesium content as well as high bioavailability. Having a variety of product offerings enables formulators to choose the ingredient that will work best in their particular product.

We welcome and encourage research into our products. Albion has a virtual library of this easily accessible, educational material. Our consumer website, www.AlbionNutritionalFacts.com, is a good place to start. Albion is dedicated to supporting our products with sound scientific evidence and cutting-edge research and technological advancement. We will continue to uphold our dedication to the highest ideals of business ethics, transparency, and integrity.

We are glad that so many of you are conscious of the important role magnesium plays in mineral nutrition, and we invite you to direct any additional questions about our magnesium products to our Consumer Response Team at AlbionInquiry@albionminerals.com.

• Informative x 4
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • like x 1

#284 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

Seems magnesium chloride has more magnesium weight-for-weight than magnesium citrate, and unlike citrate it dissolves instead of sinking to the bottom.  Besides loose stools, would there be any negative repercussion from ingesting a lot of this?  Too much chloride?

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Agree x 1

#285 bubukitty

• 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

I've read this whole thread and decided to look into glycinate (citrate gives me the runs) and i found this: http://www.nutrition...0-120-capsules/

What i've noticed is everyone uses glycinate from the albion traacs... and it doesnt look like this supplement is albion but simply glycinate. Does that make it any worse?

#286 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

I read the whole thread and i have learned alot from it.

I just can't choose between Magnesium Glycinate from Kirkman Labs with no magnesium stearate, stearic acid and other fillers in it OR the Albion Minerals versions (Bluebonnet, Docktor's Best)

I think i go for the Kirkman Labs version because of the hypoallergenic formulation.But my feeling says that the Albion minerals get absorbed better?!

#287 albionminerals

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hi Jason30: It might be helpful to know that Kirkman, Doctor’s Best, and Bluebonnet are all Albion customers. Albion only manufactures the chelated mineral component and not the ingredients you mentioned. Our customers formulate, process, and capsulate using their own unique facilities.

Albion is dedicated to making information available to you and others so an informed decision can be made about the minerals you take, and we continue to hold the highest standards in producing quality, scientifically verified, organic mineral chelates.

#288 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

Has this study been discussed?

2) Only Mg citrate significantly increased plasma Mg concentrations both after acute and chronic (60 days) supplementation. (No significant differences in red blood cell Mg concentration among the three treatment groups were detected either with acute or chronic supplementation.)

8nR32bQ.png

There are some problems here. The first is that the company that "reviewed" this study sells a mag citrate product that appears to be expensive and a big part of their offerings.  Another is the metrics they used.  How relevant is urinary and saliva mag, anyway?  If the subjects were magnesium-replete to begin with, those numbers will go up, but what's the significance?  It could be caused by a product that increased mag excretion, for example.  Plasma is at least a semi-useful number, but only semi.  Is that magnesium getting into cells or bone?  We don't know.  Looking at the plasma data, the placebo group shows a huge drop from beginning to end.  That suggests major problems with their protocol, and really throws the whole study into question if you ask me.  They make way too much of the first day results.  None of us expect to supplement for one day and stop.  The only numbers that matter are the chronic numbers.

They managed to generate some data that made their product look good, and the competition look bad.  Hmm.  I used to like citrate until I ran across something that said citrate increases absorption of aluminum.  In light of that, cheap old oxide looks better all the time.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#289 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hi Jason30: It might be helpful to know that Kirkman, Doctor’s Best, and Bluebonnet are all Albion customers. Albion only manufactures the chelated mineral component and not the ingredients you mentioned. Our customers formulate, process, and capsulate using their own unique facilities.

Albion is dedicated to making information available to you and others so an informed decision can be made about the minerals you take, and we continue to hold the highest standards in producing quality, scientifically verified, organic mineral chelates.

Thanks for the explanation.

#290 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

What about taking the buffered or none-buffered version?

Like this one which is reacted (?) and not buffered:

http://www.iherb.com...-120-Tablets/15

Unlike this version, which is buffered with Magnesium Oxide:

http://www.iherb.com...120-Vcaps/21160

#291 albionminerals

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hi Jason: Albion manufactures a wide variety of magnesium products, including magnesium bisglycinate chelate, buffered magnesium bisglycinate chelate, and several other magnesium forms. The buffered version of the magnesium bisglycinate chelate contains magnesium oxide, meaning that magnesium oxide is added to the magnesium bisglycinate chelate. We manufacture other Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate products which are not buffered; formulators choose the ingredient that will work best in their particular product.

If you are seeking products that are not buffered, the following are Albion customers offering products that contain our non-buffered Magnesium Chelate products:

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B000BD0RT0

http://www.tritonnut...s/mag-powersorb

http://www.swansonvi...rams-pwdr#label

This brief video about how mineral amino acid chelates absorb in the body may be useful to you: You might also like this video about Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate:

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Informative x 1

#292 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hi Jason: Albion manufactures a wide variety of magnesium products, including magnesium bisglycinate chelate, buffered magnesium bisglycinate chelate, and several other magnesium forms. The buffered version of the magnesium bisglycinate chelate contains magnesium oxide, meaning that magnesium oxide is added to the magnesium bisglycinate chelate. We manufacture other Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate products which are not buffered; formulators choose the ingredient that will work best in their particular product.

If you are seeking products that are not buffered, the following are Albion customers offering products that contain our non-buffered Magnesium Chelate products:

This brief video about how mineral amino acid chelates absorb in the body may be useful to you: You might also like this video about Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks alot for the explanation, the video's are informative.

The swanson albion chelated magnesium glycate looks good, i love it that it's in the powder version. I am definately gonna test this one.

Thanks again!

#293 white43

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

Dammit I just lost my original post!

Long time user of Magnesium.

I started out by taking Magnesium Bisglycinate(Holland and Barrett UK) 150mg x 3/4 a day. No bowel trouble, but slept well.

After reading research by George Eby, I switched to Carlson Chelated at 200mg x 3/4 a day, these seemed to make quite a significant difference in deep sleep (more)

I recently noticed that Carlson have now changed their formula for Chelated to include Oxide, so I didn't want this on the basis that I'd read Oxide is near-useless.

I wound up with Vitacosts Chelated Magnesium(200mg), although Albion, but I now see it is buffered. I was going to try KAL, but I see that is not Albion. Vitacosts don't seem to be producing the same results as before with the original Carlson.

What is the amount of elemental magnesium I am getting from the above per capsule?

So, now, having read this thread - I'd like to try either Doctors Best Chelated or Magnesium L-Threonate. Citrate gives me loose bowels. I've never tried Orotate or Malate.

#294 albionminerals

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

To White 43:

If you are seeking Albion’s proven bioavailable magnesium products, we can suggest some products from customers who offer magnesium that is non-buffered (without magnesium oxide).

http://www.nowfoods....Powder-8-oz.htm

Our customers formulate, process, and capsulate using their own unique facilities; customers choose how to label their own products and formulations.

This brief video about magnesium may be of interest to you: I hope this is helpful, and thank you for your continued support of Albion's quality, scientifically verified, organic mineral chelates.

#295 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Sorry, a bit off topic: I am taking this form of magnesium. Any comment, considering I am geting consistently a low level of RBC value? Should I change? The (prescribed) dose contains:

1 stick (5 g) contains as active ingredient:

• magnesium citrate (calc. anhydrous) 1856,6 mg
  • magnesium content: 300 mg

I do not want to hijack thisTA5's thread and the magnesium discussion should probably be continued here.

To give my example with a very severe Magnesium deficiency: I made the experience that it doesn’t matter as much which kind of Magnesium used (except to the purse, of course). Tried Magnesium oxide, citrate, malate, glycinate, taurinate, ascorbate, threonate, arginate, and finally the sulfate form from a mineral water (Rogaska Donat Mg, http://www.donatmg.eu) in all possible ratios and combinations.

But only when I meet at least 1.8 g/d of elemental Mg I’m fine and free from muscle cramps. So I finally settled and am comfortable with the cheapest Magnesium oxide. Some of niner's references, for example in this post, seems to confirm my practical experience.

Edited by pamojja, 28 May 2015 - 11:55 AM.

• like x 1

#296 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thank you Pamojja for having switched to this thread. Please note the second link is not working.

#297 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Please note the second link is not working.

This should work: http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=566410

• like x 1

#298 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

Two things:

Magnesium citrate dissolves quite well in a 1800w blender provided you happen to have one and there is enough water.  The motor heats the water, so that plus the grinding action does the job.  If there's a high magnesium:water ratio adding a gram of citric acid and malic acid and letting it sit for a minute before blending will sort it.

Also, has anyone tried magnesium phosphate?  Weird that i've never seen it sold before except at homeopathic doses, but found a source now at supplemental doses.  Going to give it a try.

Edited by caruga, 07 June 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#299 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

Tried:

Mg oxide

Mg citrate (made me feel edgy and crabby)

Switched to magnesium malate, Swanson brand, best magnesium decision ever.  400 mg elemental daily.

Also use Swanson's Albion chelated multi-mineral with magnesium glycinate blah blah blah.  Sometimes take in addition to malate to get up to 600 mg elemental in one day

Occasional epsom salt baths (super boring though)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#300 rcol1441

• 13 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:15 AM

Switched to magnesium malate, Swanson brand, best magnesium decision ever.  400 mg elemental daily.

I've been a fan of the Swanson magnesium malate for awhile, too.  But when I went to reorder yesterday there was a bit of a surprise.  The product I've been getting -- 200mg elemental mag per vegcap from 1000mg mag malate -- now says "discontinued, unavailable from manufacturer," and has been replaced by a similar-looking Swanson product that has dropped from 200mg to 150mg elemental mag, even though it remains 1000mg of mag malate.

Strange.  I looked at another product, Nature's Life Mag Malate, which lists 200mg elemental mag per tablet, and sure enough it has 1300mg mag malate instead of 1000.

Makes me wonder if the Swanson product was previously mislabeled, and only actually provided 150mg elemental all along?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users