- - - - -

The Latest Alzheimer's Research

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#841 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

A lead from mlsirkis.  Thx.

While I have only scanned the most recent posts here and the belo, what QR Pharma is saying seems to fit in well with RG's thinking?

Neurotoxic aggregating proteins, such as APP, aSYN, tau, SOD and prions display the same behavior, from gene activation, to protein synthesis to folding, misfolding, toxicity and aggregation:

1.Transcription is regulated by Cu/Zn/cytokines

2.Translation is regulated by Fe

3.At low concentrations they have a normal function

4.At high concentrations they form toxic oligomers

5.Oligomers can infect other cells in the brain and spread

6.They are degraded by the proeasome

7.The cell sequesters these toxic oligomers into aggregates to neutralize them

Posiphen Inhibits APP, tau and aSYN Synthesis

http://qrpharma.com/...on_short_21.pdf

Posiphen  Recovers Memory, Learning and Brain Function in Alzheimer Transgenic Mice

http://qrpharma.com/...-22-2012_22.pdf

http://qrpharma.com/

This looks too good to be true. In any event, is there any realistic chance of aquiring or group buying any of it?

• like x 1

#842 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

albedo, what I am not understanding is why there wasn't a placebo arm.(I am not sure whether that it would ethical.)

The slower than expected decline in MMSE at 6 months suggests that there might have been a positive treatment effect

for those taking the AChEIs.

• Good Point x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#843 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Mag1, it is a good point. I had no time to read the full article where they might explain. They do say though that the study has many limitations (e.g. randomization) and they report it as only "complementary" to a clinical trial.

#844 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

Does this mean that APOE epsilon 4 Alzhemer's or pre-Alzheimer's could be treated with Gamma frequency audio entrainment? (or perhaps other forms of entrainment?)

http://www.cell.com/...6273(16)30068-X

Edited by mag1, 06 May 2016 - 07:09 PM.

• Disagree x 1

#845 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:48 PM

deetown, thank you very much for your comment!

By looking through their website it was not obvious to me that this was a scam.

It looks on first run through at least from what I can see as at least plausible.

I am glad that you can help guide us. 

Alzheimer's has the feel that there are substantial advances that are already in the pipe.

It seems that many companies might now need to come out of the wood work if they want a pay day.

• unsure x 1

#846 Der Springende Punkt

• 63 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

A new study of Tony Wyss-Coray (his mouse plasma donation study was hyped here at longecity) "fished out a heretofore unknown signaling pathway linked to Alzheimer’s disease. As the scientists report in the April 26 Molecular Neurodegeneration, AD patients appear to have less growth differentiation factor signaling in the brain...

... they suspected it [Growth differentiation factor 3 (GDF3)] could have an impact on neurogenesis. Sure enough, primary neural progenitor cells cultured from mice differentiated into neurons and astrocytes more efficiently when they were exposed to GDF3 ... Taken together, the results suggest that loss of GDF signaling may play a role in AD by limiting neurogenesis."

http://www.alzforum....ayer-alzheimers

• Informative x 1

#847 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

A lead from mlsirkis.  Thx.

While I have only scanned the most recent posts here and the belo, what QR Pharma is saying seems to fit in well with RG's thinking?

Neurotoxic aggregating proteins, such as APP, aSYN, tau, SOD and prions display the same behavior, from gene activation, to protein synthesis to folding, misfolding, toxicity and aggregation:

1.Transcription is regulated by Cu/Zn/cytokines

2.Translation is regulated by Fe

3.At low concentrations they have a normal function

4.At high concentrations they form toxic oligomers

5.Oligomers can infect other cells in the brain and spread

6.They are degraded by the proeasome

7.The cell sequesters these toxic oligomers into aggregates to neutralize them

Posiphen Inhibits APP, tau and aSYN Synthesis

http://qrpharma.com/...on_short_21.pdf

Posiphen  Recovers Memory, Learning and Brain Function in Alzheimer Transgenic Mice

http://qrpharma.com/...-22-2012_22.pdf

http://qrpharma.com/

This looks too good to be true. In any event, is there any realistic chance of aquiring or group buying any of it?

Possibly RG, but we need to look at the studies etc to verify the above claims.
Plz remind me about this.

#848 Mian Ali Ismail

• 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:09 PM

Has anyone tried using Doxycycline or Rapamycin for Alzhimers ?

#849 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:03 AM

I have just been reviewing the Nilotinib group buy thread.

Is Nilotinib a tyrokinase drug in the same class as Mastinib?

If so N would have more credibility behind it.

#850 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

I've been on Doxycyclin during this illness. It didn't do anything
  • Informative x 1

#851 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

I have just been reviewing the Nilotinib group buy thread.

Is Nilotinib a tyrokinase drug in the same class as Mastinib?

If so N would have more credibility behind it.

Nilotinib is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4041182/

#852 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

I've been on Doxycyclin during this illness. It didn't do anything

Doxycycline activates UPRmt.

UPRmt will then induce a reparative response that restores mitochondrial function which should eradicate cancer by allowing the revived mitochondria to signal macrophages to 'eat' the defective cell.

Doxycycline or other UPRmt activators, mentioned in the link below, along with PARKIN upregulators should get rid of defective mitochondria, giving a nice energy boost to those suffering from defective mitochondria/old age.

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=770410
http://www.limna.ch/...ating_teams/134

There is a link between PD and defective mitochondria, so the fact that it didn't do anything for Ceridwen would indicate that either her mitochondria are not the problem.

(or PARKIN upregulation is also required to effectively get rid of defective mitochondria..?)

It seems that misfolded proteins etc are the issue with her due to her positive experience with Nilotinib. 

Yes this post 'needs References' for PARKIN etc.
Feel free to google:

Parkin PINK1 mitochondria 

and post them.  :)

#853 Mian Ali Ismail

• 109 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

Thnks Logic.I have also been giving my Dad N acetyl cysteine,Biotin,folicacid,B1,B6,B12,Vit E COQ10 and omega 3 for mitochondrial dysfunction.Im looking to add PYRUVATE and Nicotin Amide Riboside.He is completeley bed ridden just a littwle movement of hands.Wht Effect Has Ceredwin had with Nilotinib ? :)

Edited by Mian Ali Ismail, 17 May 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#854 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:56 AM

Someone disagreed about the gamma frequency audio entrainment idea.

I was not sure about that one.

Does anyone have any information that would suggest that gamma audio entrainment would not be helpful for AD prevention?

#855 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

This paper by G. Bowman (now at Nestlè) et al. makes a good case on the effects of nutrition on AD. In particular, it looks at the effects of vitamins B (B1, B2, B6, Folate and B12), C, D, and E status (group BCDE) on cognition and volume MRI in the dementia-free oldest (87 average age). If you look at Table 3 you could see the best pattern is with the BCDE group compared with the worst pattern (trans fats). Similarly in Table 4 for brain volume. Other nutrients seem to play an intermediate role.

More in detail the text says:

“… Subjects with higher BCDE scores had better global cognitive function, particularly in domains of executive, attention, and visuospatial function. Participants with higher plasma trans fat scores had worse cognitive function overall (memory, attention, language, processing speed, and global). Subjects with higher NBP5-marine omega-3 scores had better executive function…”

“… Subjects with higher plasma BCDE scores had more TCBV and those with higher trans fat scores had less TCBV…”

Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3280054/

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#856 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

This paper by G. Bowman (now at Nestlè) et al. makes a good case on the effects of nutrition on AD......

Dr Gene Bowman presented these and other results under the title "Novel Therapeutic Nutrition" at the last week Brain Forum 2016 in a four speaker session dedicated to holistic therapeutic approaches to AD. The paper I found is 1 out of 3 quoted in his slides.

(see 02:36:40 and on)

Moreover, if you are interested to the full four speakers session on AD check same link above at 01:54:10 and on.

#857 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

In the interests of full disclosure, Nestlè owns an interest in the medical food company Accera which makes the ketogenic product Axona used in the nutritional management of those

with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.nutraingr...gic-move-for-us

• Agree x 1

#858 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:49 AM

…”

Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging

Thanks for posting this.  I read the study and watched the video clip.  Seems to reinforce our general understanding of the right dietary patterns (leafy greens, fish, etc.) for long-term health coupled with exercise for optimal vascular integrity and cognitive health.

Some of the plasma biomarkers in this cohort are interesting.  They had a folate level of ~27-28 ng/mL, B12 ~670 pg/mL, HDL of 60-65 mg/dL.  Only 25% were taking a multivitamin.  Seems like a very healthy cohort to run a study on.

• Good Point x 1

#859 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

This paper by G. Bowman (now at Nestlè) et al. makes a good case on the effects of nutrition on AD. In particular, it looks at the effects of vitamins B (B1, B2, B6, Folate and B12), C, D, and E status (group BCDE) on cognition and volume MRI in the dementia-free oldest (87 average age). If you look at Table 3 you could see the best pattern is with the BCDE group compared with the worst pattern (trans fats). Similarly in Table 4 for brain volume. Other nutrients seem to play an intermediate role.

More in detail the text says:

“… Subjects with higher BCDE scores had better global cognitive function, particularly in domains of executive, attention, and visuospatial function. Participants with higher plasma trans fat scores had worse cognitive function overall (memory, attention, language, processing speed, and global). Subjects with higher NBP5-marine omega-3 scores had better executive function…”

“… Subjects with higher plasma BCDE scores had more TCBV and those with higher trans fat scores had less TCBV…”

It does and at the same time it doesn't make a great case.

On one hand it seems nutrition does play a role, that isn't a new idea - granted there could be other explanations why those people have a "healthier" amount of vitamins in their circulation as well.

On the other hand, even in the paper it says (as far as they can tell) one of the correlations is with total brain atrophy - but that is a process that takes decades and is not reversible naturally. So at best we're looking at a prophylactic methodology which should be started as early as possible, not a treatment for AD.

I can't stop myself from noticing the irony of trans-fats being singled out as the culprit in this paper even though margarine is still touted as the healthier alternative to butter. :laugh: Some health myths never die, even if they're based on pseudo science.

Edited by corb, 29 May 2016 - 11:20 AM.

• Agree x 1

#860 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

....Seems like a very healthy cohort to run a study on.

Yes you are right. He also explicitly mentions this in the video saying they studied the "exceptionally healthy oldest old" (mean age 87).

#861 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

Corb, I am with you and think the paper is just one element adding to a whole body of evidence emerging on preventive strategies. I think about future and have little doubts in my mind nutrition will play a key if not the key role in prevention. Link that also to personalized nutrition approaches e.g. when looking at APOE4 genotype. Vaccines can also play an important role. AD seems to be a multi focal disease, requiring multi prong approaches, many stake holders coordination (academia, pharma, regulators) and fast access to therapies considering the astronomical cost approaching soon the trillion US$. The disease seems developing 10-20 years before detection and people are looking at clinical trials also targeting early stages. This is in sum what I retained from the Brain Forum 2016 discussion. I would recommend watching the 1 hr full AD session in the link I gave above, from about 01:54:10 to about 02:56:00 which included also Q&A.

#862 Der Springende Punkt

• 63 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:56 AM

Effect of deoxyribonuclease I treatment for dementia in end-stage Alzheimer's disease: a case report.

MMSE from 3 to 18? Any clues about deoxyribonuclease I and possible MoA?

#863 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

An interesting EU project just started and going on till 2020 on the link AD - Gut. It will be interesting to follow the results:

Alzheimer Disease - gut connection

"...Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is the leading cause of dementia in the Western world and to date no cure nor any preventive strategy are available for this neurodegenerative disorder. Bacterial 16S rRNA sequencing from fecal samples revealed a remarkable shift in the gut microbiota of conventionally-raised AD mice compared to healthy, wild-type mice. Based on these findings, we generated germ-free Alzheimer (GF-AD) mouse model and discovered a drastic reduction of cerebral Aβ amyloid pathology when compared to control AD mice with natural intestinal microbiota. In contrast, fecal transplantation of GF-AD with harvested microbiota from conventionally-raised AD mice dramatically increased cerebral Aβ pathology.
Altogether, these results strongly support a microbial involvement in the development of AD and show how gut microbiome modulation can slow down or halt its onset. This paves the road to new indirect diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for AD prevention, based on gut microbiota modulation through probiotic cocktails.
Based on these findings, the present proposal aims at designing and optimizing an efficient encapsulation strategy to guarantee the survival and the delivery of probiotic strains in the gut as opposed to standard strategies targeting directly the brain. A successful accomplishment of this goal will also allow to derive AD risk factors and to establish an objective baseline setting for AD diagnosis. Ultimately, the present project will open new horizons in biomedical diagnostics and personalized medicine through the marketing of these technologies and therapeutic concepts..."

http://cordis.europa.../203257_en.html

#864 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

In the interests of full disclosure, Nestlè owns an interest in the medical food company Accera which makes the ketogenic product Axona used in the nutritional management of those

with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.nutraingr...gic-move-for-us

Yes, Axona logo was prominently shown at the end of G Bowman's presentation (02:49:30, next to "beta quik", "deplin" and "CerefolinNAC" products)

#865 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

http://m.medicalxpre...-alzheimer.html
^This is new to me.^
  • like x 1

#866 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:32 AM

Sci Transl Med. 2016 May 25;8(340):340ra72.
Amyloid-β peptide protects against microbial infection in mouse and worm models of Alzheimer's disease.
Kumar DK1, Choi SH1, Washicosky KJ1, Eimer WA1, Tucker S1, Ghofrani J1, Lefkowitz A1, et al.
The amyloid-β peptide (Aβ) is a key protein in Alzheimer's disease (AD) pathology. We previously reported in vitro evidence suggesting that Aβ is an antimicrobial peptide. We present in vivo data showing that Aβ expression protects against fungal and bacterial infections in mouse, nematode, and cell culture models of AD. We show that Aβ oligomerization, a behavior traditionally viewed as intrinsically pathological, may be necessary for the antimicrobial activities of the peptide. Collectively, our data are consistent with a model in which soluble Aβ oligomers first bind to microbial cell wall carbohydrates via a heparin-binding domain. Developing protofibrils inhibited pathogen adhesion to host cells. Propagating β-amyloid fibrils mediate agglutination and eventual entrapment of unatttached microbes. Consistent with our model, Salmonella Typhimurium bacterial infection of the brains of transgenic 5XFAD mice resulted in rapid seeding and accelerated β-amyloid deposition, which closely colocalized with the invading bacteria. Our findings raise the intriguing possibility that β-amyloid may play a protective role in innate immunity and infectious or sterile inflammatory stimuli may drive amyloidosis. These data suggest a dual protective/damaging role for Aβ, as has been described for other antimicrobial peptides.

PMID: 27225182

PubMed Commons:

Claudiu Bandea 2016 May 28 8:06 p.m.

Remarkable results, questionable report

"Our findings raise the intriguing possibility that β-amyloid may play a protective role in innate immunity and infectious or sterile inflammatory stimuli may drive amyloidosis" (1). Indeed, fascinating findings. What Kumar et al. did not articulate, though, is that their result is one of many findings, observations, and arguments supporting the theory (2,3) that:

(i) β-amyloid, tau, α-synuclein, huntingtin, TDP-43, prion protein and other primary proteins implicated in neurodegenerative diseases are members of the innate immune system;

(ii) The isomeric conformational changes of these proteins and their assembly into various oligomers, plaques, and tangles are not protein misfolding events as defined for decades, nor are they prion-replication activities, but part of their normal, evolutionarily selected innate immune repertoire;

(iii) The immune reactions and activities associated with the function of these proteins in innate immunity lead to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, ALS and Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, which are innate immunity disorders.

Generating data and observations, although essential, represents only half of the scientific process; the other is their interpretation and integration into the existing knowledge and paradigms. That’s where the article by Kumar et al. falls short.

Perhaps the authors were not fully familiar with the literature and paradigms in the field of neurodegenerative diseases. Or, perhaps, Kumar et al. did not consider it relevant to discuss their results in the context of previous findings, ideas and hypotheses. For example, the authors did not address or explain their results in context of the ‘prion’ paradigm, which has dominated the thinking in the field of Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases in the last few years (e.g. 4,5,6,7). Nor did they refer to a related study entitled "Alpha-synuclein expression restricts RNA viral infections in the brain" (8), which is highly relevant considering the fact that alpha-synuclein, a putative member of the innate immune system and the primary protein implicated in Parkinson’s, is a significant player in Alzheimer’s disease. Also, some might consider highly questionable leaving out the study by Kobayashi et al. entitled "Binding sites on tau proteins as components for antimicrobial peptides" (9).

Given these omissions, it's no wonder in her The New York Times article on Kumar et al. study, Gina Kolata wrote: "The Harvard researchers report a scenario seemingly out of science fiction".

#867 Mian Ali Ismail

• 109 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....4?dopt=Abstract

#868 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:50 PM

Is this commercially available?

Yes, http://www.drugs.com...nuclease-i.html

Indications? Cost?

Edited by mag1, 01 June 2016 - 11:58 PM.

#869 Mian Ali Ismail

• 109 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:36 AM

In this trial they used the oral version.I cant find the oral version of the drug

https://jmedicalcase...3256-016-0931-6

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#870 mag1

• 1,061 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:21 AM

I am also unable to find the oral version.

Might someone help out here? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users