Photo
- - - - -

Need to study for 3 months 12+ hours per day

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 testxtest

• 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

What supplements should I take to study 3 months for 12+ hours everyday (as little breaks as possible)?

How much time in advance must I take the supplements so they will work during those 3 months? (ex. If I take fish oil I need to start many months beforehand to get the effects)

Can the supplements last for 3 months or will I crash in the middle of my studying?

The last day I will have an exam. What should I take this day? The same as the other days?

How much should I take? When do I take it? How safe is it?

I’m thinking of taking a racetam, choline and fish oil. Should I change anything and which type should I take?

#2 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

What supplements should I take to study 3 months for 12+ hours everyday (as little breaks as possible)?

How much time in advance must I take the supplements so they will work during those 3 months? (ex. If I take fish oil I need to start many months beforehand to get the effects)

Can the supplements last for 3 months or will I crash in the middle of my studying?

The last day I will have an exam. What should I take this day? The same as the other days?

I'm thinking of taking a racetam, choline and fish oil. Should I change anything and which type should I take?

Governor Palin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

12+ hours a day?! How'd you get roped into such an insane schedule?

#4 DanielSon

• 53 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

Governor Palin?

Hahahahaha..... I think she'll need more like 16+ hours and unsustainable quantities of amphetamines.

#5 Traclo

• Guest, F@H
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Sounds like you're going to be tired... 12+ hours a day can really take a toll. So I guess caffeine sometimes to keep you stimulated when fatigued? Unless you can get something like modafinil, I guess. Just don't take it to replace sleep, because clearly with an idea like this proper sleep is an imperative.

I guess my suggestion is obvious, but you can't underestimate caffeine for staving off that lethargic apathy that being tired can bring about.

#6 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

I have been working (programming, developing & researching algorithms as a chief scientist & CTO in a software company, tele-commuting from my study at home) for 12+ hour per day, 6-7 days a week for years and playing chess (against computers) to relax after a day's work. Of nootropics, I take ALCAR 500mg 2-3 times/day and Hup A 50 mcg twice/day, theanine (100mg) & melatonin (3mg) before bed. Plus 6-8 cups of freshly roasted & ground coffe and 30-40 hand made cigarettes (Natural American Spirit, high nicotine 3x more than Marlboro, pure tobacco leaf, additive free). Regarding the alleged hazards of smoking, that's a PR from pharmaceutical industry. Tobacco smoke (from real, additive free tobacco leaf, not the junk supermarket FSC cigarettes) is an ancient medicine and the best single supplement, bar none, you can take for good health and longevity. There was a thread here on health benefits of smoking and a more recent one in another health forum focusing on longevity benefits.

Edited by nightlight, 15 September 2008 - 04:06 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#7 mystery

• 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

I'm thinking of taking a racetam, choline and fish oil. Should I change anything and which type should I take?

The adaptogen herbs may help. They are useful for stress, and fatigue. There are quite a few, but maybe the most known are the Ginsengs, being American, Siberian, Asian, and Indian.

You probably want to start the fish oil as soon as possible, because it takes time for the brain to change structurally in response to essential fatty acids.

There are lots of other supplements and herbs that can help. Do a search, and start experimenting as individual response can be highly variable. You'll need to experiment with different doses, and dosing times to find what works best.

#8 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

In my own anecdotal experience, I've found rhodiola rosea to enhance mental awareness and clarity.

I've attached two papers that discuss the alleged benefits of rhodiola.

And here's a study on various adaptogens, in which rhodiola rosea is found to be the most active of the three plant adaptogens tested:

1: Phytother Res. 2005 Oct;19(10):819-38.
Stimulating effect of adaptogens: an overview with particular reference to their efficacy following single dose administration.
Panossian A, Wagner H.

Swedish Herbal Institute, Viktor Rydbergsgatan 10, SE-411 32 Gothenburg, Sweden. ap@shi.se

Plant adaptogens are compounds that increase the ability of an organism to adapt to environmental factors and to avoid damage from such factors. The beneficial effects of multi-dose administration of adaptogens are mainly associated with the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, a part of the stress-system that is believed to play a primary role in the reactions of the body to repeated stress and adaptation. In contrast, the single dose application of adaptogens is important in situations that require a rapid response to tension or to a stressful situation. In this case, the effects of the adaptogens are associated with another part of the stress-system, namely, the sympatho-adrenal-system (SAS), that provides a rapid response mechanism mainly to control the acute reaction of the organism to a stressor. This review focuses primarily on the SAS-mediated stimulating effects of single doses of adaptogens derived from Rhodiola rosea, Schizandra chinensis and Eleutherococcus senticosus. The use of these drugs typically generates no side effects, unlike traditional stimulants that possess addiction, tolerance and abuse potential, produce a negative effect on sleep structure, and cause rebound hypersomnolence or 'come down' effects. Furthermore, single administration of these adaptogens effectively increases mental performance and physical working capacity in humans. R. rosea is the most active of the three plant adaptogens producing, within 30 min of administration, a stimulating effect that continues for at least 4-6 h. The active principles of the three plants that exhibit single dose stimulating effects are glycosides of phenylpropane- and phenylethane-based phenolic compounds such as salidroside, rosavin, syringin and triandrin, the latter being the most active. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

PMID: 16261511 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Attached Files

Edited by Johan, 15 September 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#9 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

Focus on nootropics that enhance executive function and aware ego. Use the awareness to realise that 12+ hours everyday for three months is NOT the optimal way to study. Use the enhanced executive function to make a more effective plan.

You want to learn as much as possible over three months?
  • Cut the 12 hours down to 8. 8 is probably still too many for optimal learning but you'll retain more than if you pretended you could benefit from 12. You are out to learn, you are not out to prove to someone that you can study a lot.
  • Take an afternoon nap every day. We consolidate memories while sleep. An afternoon nap enhances this and also allows your hippocampus to free itself up some space so that you can learn more in the afternoon. The extra concentration and alertness also helps!
  • Exercise every day. Seriously. This gives you new neurons, reduces stress, increases energy, improves mood and motivation. It'll also allow you to study more without losing focus. A more powerful nootropic than anything I could suggest, particularly over a 3 month period.
  • Rest breaks every 45 minutes. Your brain learns most from the start and end of a session. Give it a break, walk or jog around the block a couple of times. Then, it will consolidate some concepts and be fooled into learning another batch of content.
  • Bacopa. An adaptogen that has particular demonstrated benefits for long term learning. This means it'll still be there on the day of the test!
  • 100mg of modafinil daily. In the morning. Some are tempted to use the alertness properties to keep them awake for longer. But that isn't going to help you. What you want is to be learning with maximum effectiveness while you learn and then having sound restful sleep at night.
  • Coffee. You're probably already addicted to the stuff so I will not recommend you avoid it. Don't use any after the early afternoon. Use in moderation before that to boost alertness and goal directed thinking. Do not use it to hide from the need for sleep.
  • A good multivitamin.
  • Lots of Omega 3.
  • Alpha lipoic acid. Enhances energy and is also recommended to offset the oxidative stress from ALCAR.
  • Acetyl-L-Carnitine. A 'clean' boost of energy. Doesn't make you wired but it does give a boost.
  • If you are rote-learning, a little ritalin will help you. If you are trying to learn abstract concepts it will be more of a hinderance. Much like coffee only more so.
  • Piracetam. Run of the mill nootropic. You don't have time to experiment with Aniracetam (sometimes more effective but less predictable). Just take a typical piracetam dose and it should kick in after a couple of weeks.
  • Choline. For example a lot of choline bitartrate or somewhat less of the more advanced choline sources. You need this to go with the piracetam. You are also likely to be burning through choline anyway, simply because you are learning actively.
  • Do not be fatigued on the day of the exam. Get an early night and exercise the day before.
  • On the actual day, use (in order of importance) modafinil, piracetam, choline, ALA + ALCAR.
  • Alternately, scrap all that and just bribe the examiner.

I’m thinking of taking a racetam, choline and fish oil. Should I change anything and which type should I take?

• Informative x 1

#10 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

I have been working (programming, developing & researching algorithms as a chief scientist & CTO in a software company, tele-commuting from my study at home) for 12+ hour per day, 6-7 days a week for years and playing chess (against computers) to relax after a day's work. Of nootropics, I take ALCAR 500mg 2-3 times/day and Hup A 50 mcg twice/day, theanine (100mg) & melatonin (3mg) before bed. Plus 6-8 cups of freshly roasted & ground coffe and 30-40 hand made cigarettes (Natural American Spirit, high nicotine 3x more than Marlboro, pure tobacco leaf, additive free). Regarding the alleged hazards of smoking, that's a PR from pharmaceutical industry. Tobacco smoke (from real, additive free tobacco leaf, not the junk supermarket FSC cigarettes) is an ancient medicine and the best single supplement, bar none, you can take for good health and longevity. There was a thread here on health benefits of smoking and a more recent one in another health forum focusing on longevity benefits.

holy christ, that's a lot of work. I'd dump the cigs and get a nicotine patch, though. They do well for me.

#11 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Alpha lipoic acid. Enhances energy and is also recommended to offset the oxidative stress from ALCAR.

Good advice, except that ALA needs a warning to try it cautiously, separately from the rest, since not everyone tolerates it. I have experimented with doses of ALA as low as 25mg/day (with or without ALCAR) and it always gives me a zombie-like unpleasant feel all day, then it takes another couple days to snap back to normal again. A friend at work takes 300mg per day with no side-effects. For antioxidative supplement I load up on C, E, NAC and Milk Thistle. Further, tobacco smoke while pro-oxidant on its own (from several smoke components, making up a fraction of the ~100mg of the absorbed smoke matter per pack) upregulates glutathione by 80% and nearly doubles catalase and SOD, while significantly reducing appetite, resulting in a substantial net antoxidant effect. That's why people working in physically harsh conditions (miners, metal workers) derive a noticable relief and protection from smoking.

#12 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

holy christ, that's a lot of work.

It's not hardship at all if you enjoy what you are doing. Most of the time (except near deadlines or occasionally when dealing with customers) is like a play.

I'd dump the cigs and get a nicotine patch, though. They do well for me.

Nicotine, while important and the best known, is only one medicinal component of tobacco smoke. For example the significant MAOI B effect is not due to nicotine. Further, the strong upregulation of glutathione, catalase, SOD, telomerase, DHEA, testosterone, pregnenolone,... are result of yet some other unknown components of the smoke. Other components of smoke, such as low dose CO and NO act synergistically with nicotine on vascular system and have anti-apoptotic effect on neurons. Even nicotine itself, taken in a cyclic natural feedbacks controlled manner of smoking is more effective than the blunt, desensitizing effect of the patch which over time downregulates cholinergic systems (tobacco smoke "paradoxically" upregulates it in the long run, while, like nicotine patch, stimulates it in accute use). This ancient medicinal plant was far more honed over the last eight thousand years of lifelong use by couple blllion test subjects than anything Pfizer or J&J can put out after few (often rigged) tiny trials.

If you follow up some links given earlier, you will find that to this day, after over half a century of intense research, they still can't show a single experiment where tobacco smoke would cause any harm to test animals, even at doses several times greater than what humans smoke. All that happens to smoking animals is that they live ~20 percent longer, stay thinner, perform better on cognitive tests, tolerate stress and hardships better,... The only couple ways to cause harm, short of outright smoke asphyxiation, related to smoking is to either spike the smoke with radioactive tracers (duh) or via "recovery period" where they keep animals smoking heavily from young age, then in middle/older age take them off tobacco completely, causing major biochemical meltdown and various damages (including obesity, cancers), reducing their lifespan to about the level of never-smoking test animals. Hence, quitting is at least as bad, likely worse, for your health and longevity than never starting. On the other hand, starting smoking later in life seems to be Ok. For example, the oldest man on record, a Japanese guy Shigechiyo Izumi who lived to almost 121, started smoking at age 70. The oldest human on record (french lady Jeanne Louise Calment who lived to 122, she died shortly after doctors convinced to quit), smoked since her teens. These two smokers were the only two humans ever who celebrated their 120th birthday. As to the youngest age to start smoking, Semai people of Maylasia begin smoking at age 2, just as they wean from nursing, then smoke worry free their whole life. To the amazement of the researchers, as reported in [BMJ, p.580, Feb 26, 1977] by Dr. G.Y. Caldwell, a thorough medical exam of all 12000 adult Semai, which included chest X-rays, didn't find a single lung cancer among them.

Edited by nightlight, 15 September 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#13 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

here's what i know off the top of my head (not a very clear head now, as I slept only ~2hours in the last 32-26 hour period, but I feel a bit happy and elated with no substance at all, not even a mg of caffiene, well maybe ONLY ~200 milligrams in the last 30+ hours, because I finished a big chunk of work in a 5-hour long laboratory session)

++ Water (good old H20), needs to be nice cold water,

++ Coffee/Caffiene/teas, green/white teas are my favorites. hot tea or at leats warm

++ Lots of energy drinks, herbal blends, 5 Hour Energy Drink is my favorite, then Red Bull and the like

++ modafinil/adrafinil etc should work well. I don't have personal basis for comparison on modafinil (but I hate coffee, and can barely stand caffiene pills). Ever since my psychology professor introduced me to the subject of Provigil/modafinil 1.5 to 2 years ago in an intro psych class, it's always been on my mind. I have excessive sleep and Work-Shift Sleep Disorder symptoms, and seriously contemplating getting modafinil or at least some nice steady quantity of adrafinil to help me get through a killer- difficult semester of hard classes .

++ nicotine? - nightlight from above post suggested nicotine. i don't know much about it except my innate bias against tobacco products, but isnt nicotine highly addictive?

++ don't take illegal stuff like amphetamines

++ Naps, you can nap on some caffiene or possibly adrafinil and wake up naturally after a sleep period, but you need your 8 hours of sleep sometime (I've heard debates on continuous 8 hours or breaking them apart. I think continous 8 hours of sleep is best.) That short power nap could really energize you, if not working, go back for another one. Set alarm clocks, but with caffiene, adrafinil etc, I think alarm is not necessary

I think i'll skip dinner for now and sleep for while. in all-nighter situations like this , most times I end up consciously or semi-consciously masturbate a bit and masturbation almost always leads to ejaculation and right after ejaculation, I feel zonked out and sleep nicely for a while.

Edited by HYP86, 15 September 2008 - 10:42 PM.

#14 Snapple

• 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

Nicotine, while important and the best known, is only one medicinal component of tobacco smoke. For example the significant MAOI B effect is not due to nicotine. Further, the strong upregulation of glutathione, catalase, SOD, telomerase, DHEA, testosterone, pregnenolone,... are result of yet some other unknown components of the smoke. Other components of smoke, such as low dose CO and NO act synergistically with nicotine on vascular system and have anti-apoptotic effect on neurons. Even nicotine itself, taken in a cyclic natural feedbacks controlled manner of smoking is more effective than the blunt, desensitizing effect of the patch which over time downregulates cholinergic systems (tobacco smoke "paradoxically" upregulates it in the long run, while, like nicotine patch, stimulates it in accute use). This ancient medicinal plant was far more honed over the last eight thousand years of lifelong use by couple blllion test subjects than anything Pfizer or J&J can put out after few (often rigged) tiny trials.

Hi, I've seen your posts on FORCES. I have to admit I enjoy pro-smoking websites on occasion because the sheer amount of idiocy coupled with self-delusion is legitimately hilarious.

Anyway, I view your pro-smoking posts as a form of performance art. They're genuinely funny. Congrats!

As an adult, you're free to smoke, and free to believe smoking is actually good for you. I would bet every dollar I have that you sound like utter crap after walking up a flight of stairs.

Best of luck to you, smokey.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#15 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hi, I've seen your posts on FORCES. I have to admit I enjoy pro-smoking websites on occasion because the sheer amount of idiocy coupled with self-delusion is legitimately hilarious.

Anyway, I view your pro-smoking posts as a form of performance art. They're genuinely funny. Congrats!

As an adult, you're free to smoke, and free to believe smoking is actually good for you. I would bet every dollar I have that you sound like utter crap after walking up a flight of stairs.

Best of luck to you, smokey.

Smoking, illegal drugs, and masterbation. If you believe that these will enhance your ability to study and concentrate then may I add one more suggestion....

Study in your car, parked in a garage, with the ignition on. Give it about 5-10 mintues and your mind will expand in ways you never thought possible!
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#16 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

It's even funnier how more than seven decades after Nazis started this latest "scientific" antismoking wave, the antismoking "scientists" (i..e. pharma mercenaries) are still struggling to find some way to make smoking test animals live shorter than non-smoking animals. Nothing seems to work, even under equivalents of 5+ packs per day focused in near asphyxiating intense 6 hour daily exposures, the smoking animals still live longer. This biochemical miracle plant, the most precious gift of gods to humans as ancients believed, is far more potent than anyone suspected when they started this campaign to scientifically demonstrate its harmfulness (it's only harmful to the pharmaceutical industry's profits, like many other herbal or traditional medicines, which they keep trying to suppress, as well).

Maybe you should ask about it this 101 year old British smoker (who smoked since he was 7), Buster Martin, former Army physical training instructor and the oldest empolyed person on record, who recently completed London marathon (smoking along the way).
Posted Image Posted Image
Smoking has been used by soldiers and physical laborers, as well as atletes, for ages, to this day, to enhance physical performance and protect against various physical/chemical hardships (anti-inflammatory effects, upregulation of neutrophiles, glutathione, catalase, SOD, as well as boost in testosterone & DHEA, among others).
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by nightlight, 15 September 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#17 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

Wow after all these years, I had it all wrong. Smoking IS really great for your health. Thanks for showing me the light. I'm heading down to the local
gas station right now to buy some cigs to increase my SOD, testosterone levels. Hey thanks a million.

#18 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:35 AM

Wow after all these years, I had it all wrong. Smoking IS really great for your health. Thanks for showing me the light. I'm heading down to the local
gas station right now to buy some cigs to increase my SOD, testosterone levels. Hey thanks a million.

While you're obviously kidding, the last half a dozen or so of friends and neighbors, well educated and health conscious folks ranging from twenties to sixties, who set out to 'splain to me (at parties and other social occasions) why I ought to quit smoking, are now, ever since their lucky day, enjoying the benefits of this ancient youth elixir. As to 'heading down to the gas station', you probably won't find a pure tobacco leaf cigarettes there (most of those, except regular Winston (last I looked), are made from 'tobacco' sheets, reconstituted tobacco scraps, fillers and chemical additives). Also, many states have mandated FSC cigarettes, so you would be smoking fire retardants on top of all the other junk they put in. You can still make your own from pure tobacco leaf using little stuffing machines which, after a bit of pracatice, make a pack in about 5 minutes.

#19 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

It is interesting to see that you are arguing for tobacco since April 2007 (at this forum).
Is your opinion that smoking tobacco is a nootropic, healthy and a proper source for life extension?

Cheers

Alex

While you're obviously kidding, the last half a dozen or so of friends and neighbors, well educated and health conscious folks ranging from twenties to sixties, who set out to 'splain to me (at parties and other social occasions) why I ought to quit smoking, are now, ever since their lucky day, enjoying the benefits of this ancient youth elixir. As to 'heading down to the gas station', you probably won't find a pure tobacco leaf cigarettes there (most of those, except regular Winston (last I looked), are made from 'tobacco' sheets, reconstituted tobacco scraps, fillers and chemical additives). Also, many states have mandated FSC cigarettes, so you would be smoking fire retardants on top of all the other junk they put in. You can still make your own from pure tobacco leaf using little stuffing machines which, after a bit of pracatice, make a pack in about 5 minutes.

Edited by brotherx, 16 September 2008 - 12:58 AM.

#20 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

It's even funnier how more than seven decades after Nazis started this latest "scientific" antismoking wave, the antismoking "scientists" (i..e. pharma mercenaries) are still struggling to find some way to make smoking test animals live shorter than non-smoking animals. Nothing seems to work, even under equivalents of 5+ packs per day focused in near asphyxiating intense 6 hour daily exposures, the smoking animals still live longer. This biochemical miracle plant, the most precious gift of gods to humans as ancients believed, is far more potent than anyone suspected when they started this campaign to scientifically demonstrate its harmfulness (it's only harmful to the pharmaceutical industry's profits, like many other herbal or traditional medicines, which they keep trying to suppress, as well).

Maybe you should ask about it this 101 year old British smoker (who smoked since he was 7), Buster Martin, former Army physical training instructor and the oldest empolyed person on record, who recently completed London marathon (smoking along the way).

Smoking has been used by soldiers and physical laborers, as well as atletes, for ages, to this day, to enhance physical performance and protect against various physical/chemical hardships (anti-inflammatory effects, upregulation of neutrophiles, glutathione, catalase, SOD, as well as boost in testosterone & DHEA, among others).

What a nut you are. If this were my forum you'd be banned permanently.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#21 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:23 AM

It is interesting to see that you are arguing for tobacco since April 2007 (at this forum).
Is your opinion that smoking tobacco is a nootropic, healthy and a proper source for life extension?

Ignoring the antismoking 'junk science', which is thin pseudo-scientific cover for an oldfashioned extortion racket, all the hard science, the real lab experiments, done largely and quetly by the same pharmaceutical industry which spends billions every year on antismoking fraud, has demonstrated over the last half a century that tobacco smoke is the single most potent youth elixir ever known. Any time I see an article or paper on some latest 'fountain of youth' biochemical mechanism or enzyme or hormone, I check the older research on the effects of tobacco smoke (also of nicotine) on the same mechanism and invariably find that our ancient medicine pushes the biochemical levers just the right way. Dozens of them. Just check the most recent thread on this topic mentioned above and references linked there, or a similar older one in this forum for examples and discussion. Interestingly, near the end of the latter thread, an issue of AGE and glycotoxins was brought up with a paper seemingly supporting harmfulness of tobacco smoke via glycotoxic mechanisms. Since the claims contradicted some other protective effects (against diabetes, 'paradox' of increased insuline sensitivity) established earlier via hard science, and the paper data didn't really show what the abstract hinted, I suggested in this post an alternative hypothesis (H2) consistent with the epidemiological & lab facts given, pointing to exactly opposite conclusion, toward protective effects of low levels of AGE exposure. Almost exactly a year later, a paper comes out demonstrating precisely the protective effect of low dose AGE conjectured in (H2).

Regarding nootropic effects of tobacco smoke, the thread here on MAOI B effects is relevant, along with a brief summary of therapeutic effects of smoking (focusing on nicotine) from SRNT. Google scholar lists over 15000 papers on neuroprotective effects of tobacco smoke. Additional references, including surveys of animal experiments (through mid 1990s) on nootropic effects of tobacco smoke are linked in a post on Dr. Siegel's antismoking blog.

Edited by nightlight, 16 September 2008 - 02:54 AM.

#22 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:37 AM

why are there still debates on cigarette , tabacco use? thousands of carcinogens in them. if you prove niotine is healthy and the only good medicinal compound in there , still need to extract and purify it and make it safe.

The addiction factor is a big issue. For some smart/energy drinks, caffiene and adrafinil , there's almost no addiction to speak of.

there are certainly far better nootropics than nicotine, far more cognitive enhancements than smoking

#23 mSiren

• 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:43 AM

Holy smokes!! (no pun to the past posts intended:) That’s a pretty hefty cram session!

Supplements during study time - I strongly recommend planning before you start your knowledge journey- Plan out what sup's you’re going to take, what combination your going to take them in and the dosage and times throughout the day.

Make a bedtime/wake time... its all to easy to say "just one more chapter". Before you know it, hello Mr. Sunshine! and then - the crash, etc etc.

Food is also something you should plan/schedule. Not only does food taste good and keep you living, It helps your supplements work. Coffee + smoking + hardcore studying = going long periods unknowingly without eating AND WITHOUT FEELING HUNGRY! Until you begin to wonder, "Why do I feel so warn out?" You may then reach for another supplement, not knowing how many you have taken through the day and you then end up strung out and unable to concentrate (unfortunately this is past experience speaking!) Which brings me to an all important note

**** Modafinil has a diuretic effect. Eating something nutrient rich every 2-3 hours or so - not high carb munchies/pop tarts/mega sugar coated flakes (?anyone know of good foods when taking modafinil?) and keeping hydrated (Totally recommend stocking up on something with electrolytes for your venture) will keep you from dehydrating... dehydration is something you don’t want to meet.

Studying for extended periods can skew time/day/night/sleep/eating/drinking/smoking/reality..... walk outside for a bit, get some sunshine, EAT, don’t eyeball your sup dosage, talk to friends/roommates to prevent an alter sense of reality(lol) and definitely sleep.

Supplements that can help- Many supplements have synergistic relationships. I recommend reading threads on the following

Modafinil - dependant on your sensitivity. It has a bite if you overdo.
Deprenil - less than 5mg 2x a day
Piracetam - Take with a choline source
Aniracetam
Aclar
b-12
green tea
EFA/DHA
a good multi
ALA
DMAE

Download and try a brain wave generator (I strongly recommend) Keep a "focus" beat on in the background. It keeps your mind in check.
A good beat generator can be found here. http://www.bwgen.com/

Best!!

Edited by mSiren, 16 September 2008 - 05:53 AM.

#24 drunkfunk

• 102 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

nightlight, you are the devil, are you not? just when i was ready to give up all that smoke again, you wanna come and make me feel all good about it???
great.

i can appreciate all the hard science and whatnot you bring, but why do i (and most smokers i know) feel so bad when they smoke, in other words lethargy, paleness and greyness of skin, impaired breathing, immune-issues ect.
i succesfully quit for 1 year (and stupidly started again 2 years ago) but still remember that absolute amazing well-being after 2-3 months of quitting (really, it was quite 'orgasmic' for a lack of better tems), all of which went to shit after starting again. and yes, i do and have for 14 years rolled my own (recently american spirit, before gauloises melange or javaanse) with no filter whatsoever.
also, i work out 4 times a week, eat a pretty decent diet and don't mess with other drugs,ect. so i'm pretty sure, your single most potent youth-elixir is the cause of me feeling worse.

just talked with my father tonight, who started smoking again 5 years ago after a 7 year quit, and he bites himself in his ass cuz every morning he's got a 5-minute-slime-coughing-session for breakfast (going so far, that sometimes he blacks out).
must be the so called 'ugly's' before he's fully rejuvenated again, yes?

sorry for hijackin, but can somebody call the exorsist or ghostbusters or something, please?

#25 mystery

• 117 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

Have you tried the nicotine gum or patches?

#26 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Governor Palin?

She is the best!

McCain/Palin 08!

#27 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

Well, the only good thing about smoking over patchs is self regulation as far as nicotine is concerned, which is a good point.

On the other hand upregulation is generally a response to a negative stimulus just as downregulation is a response to positive stimulus, and upregulation due to carbon monoxide is hardly something that would get me excited over positive benefits.

The links you provide also have a lot of logic errors. They compare the 'inhaling' people to the 'noninhaling' as if this is comparing smokers to nonsmokers and that is a wild methodology error. The inhaling people are probably getting the nicotine and its positive benefits whereas the noninhaling are going to still get the particals in the air which can cause cancer. It does indeed make sense for one type of cancer to be caused by deep inhalation and one by secondhand exposure, as well, just because of where the particals are going and also different composition of the particals.

Then they state that the surveys against smoking are flawed due to a 'convenience sample', but this is not really the case. Everyone is identified as either smoker or nonsmoker and with that large of a sample size you can be assured that if the people are not identifying themselves as smokers properly (!!!) the error will average out. I mean, this is a sample of tens of thousands, and there are only two groups...smokers and nonsmokers. You can't compare that to a study where there are hundreds of demographic groups that matter and a tiny sample size like the dewey versus truman survey. Now, if doctors were different than nondoctors in their biology it might make a difference and make it constitute a convenience sample, but this is not likely to be the case. IE, it's very unlikely that it's bad for doctors to smoke but good for everyone else.

#28 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

Governor Palin?

She is the best!

McCain/Palin 08!

The best at what, breeding mensa members?

#29 drunkfunk

• 102 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

Have you tried the nicotine gum or patches?

if this was directed at me, then yes, i have in the past, and it did nothing for me. even tried the aeros-cigarette (smokeless).
then again, when i do smoke i truly enjoy the taste and act of it all, so once i could convince myself that that is really ludacris, i stopped cold turkey without too much misery and all (after 14 years mind you)
right now though, these organic blend american spirit's are so freakin tasty again, i can't stand myself.

what a brain-bang.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

The best at what, breeding mensa members?

Wow, that is harsh... Do you make fun of all unfortunate couples whom have children with Down's Syndrome? What an immature statement.

I meant she is the best as in the best of all the candidates: McCain, Obama, Biden...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users