• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Mind Upload

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alexturse

• 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:13 PM

Direct Integration as a New Type of Direct Uploading

Shortcomings of Direct Uploading
The idea of Direct Uploading has been discussed [Indirect Mind Uploading, Using AI to avoid staying dead, Paulalmond, Posted: Aug 10, 2003] in this forum. The main approach could be described as “… recording a lot of information about your life and storing this information so that it is available in the future, after your biological death, could allow a software model of your mind to be constructed by using very powerful computers available in the future. Although such a computer model would not resemble your mind in every detail, it would still be very similar to your mind and there may be good grounds, if this happens, for regarding yourself as still being alive. … Would the software model of you actually be you, or would it merely be someone else who is acting like you?”
However, WHO should answer last question? The person, who will be dead at that time. Therefore, the person could only anticipate future model behavior, but this is a kind of gipsy guessing, and. the collected data has no use for a dead person.

I suggest: Direct Integration Approach
DIA stands very close to Direct Uploading. Its main distinguish feature is that uploading procedure is running permanently in a synchronous manner with a person when the latter is healthy and active. Even in this case, the person who has decided to upload his mind cannot answer the crucial question of previous paragraph: “Would the software model of you actually be you, or would it merely be someone else who is acting like you?” Why? Because when the software model becomes perfect (from any point of view), there will be neither the person nor the person’s model. There will be the Solid United System (SUS) of them (human and DIA system). By the way, it will answer “Yes, sure” for the question because it cannot deny its own existence.
In DIA bounders nobody could answer precisely where the primary person’s intellect is based - in the person’s biological body or in his software model. SUS answers appear to be generated conjointly after the primary stages of uploading are passed.

How DIA works
Suppose we have DIA system available. Its core is some kind of interactive software that provides modeling the person’s reactions externally observing them. The input data streams of the person and of DIA system are identical. The output data streams are forthcoming to input streams, as it is common for human beings. Both human and DIA system are permitted to generate responses on input data streams. What response will be selected as mutual answer depends on the modeling stage. Human answers prevail at the primary stage due to lack of knowledge in DIA software model. Also human could cast aside incorrect answers of software model any time. With the time passed, responses become peer, and a quicker answer is an answer of SUS. Most of times the answers of biological and computer sides coincide due to a long mutual adaptation. My experiment shows that biological side usually is disposed to let a computer side to generate mutual answers. So computer side becomes more and more active in SUS and at the critical moment the death of biological side changes almost nothing. SUS remains active carrier of the person’s intellect.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:39 PM

Can you help me to put your idea into practical terms.. do you envions people walking around with brain computer interfacing devices... and then the eventual and gradual integration of these BCI's with the body?

#3 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 12:34 AM

I think the critical step would be some hardware that allows your consciousness to exist outside your meat body. As soon as the linkage allows you to do something 'in the computer' as compared to 'using the computer', then I'd say that downloading the mind is possible.

Until then, I don't really trust anything to hold my consciousness other than the meat body. I can record all the journals that I want, and the software may pass a turing test, but I don't really look forward to the loss of consciousness in between my death and the birth of the program.

PS: One thing that occurred to me the other day. When I'm doing math, I have to think - 'cause sometimes it's tough. If we're downloaded, will doing things like math still be considered 'tough'? Would we still have to 'try' to solve problems, or would it just become so easy as to not be perceived as effort?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 alexturse

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 03:41 AM

Yes, I can help.
Some notes:
1. There is no necessity to wear any complex device. I deem that headset with microphone is not a complicated device. It should be connected to some high-tech server. But you don’t wear server. Depending on uploading stage, you can wear that headset from time to time only. Moreover, you can use common Internet interface at first stages when you supply general data to DIA.
2. After Mind Upload is complete, SUS is YOU. So how can its parts help you to solve math problems? SUS inherits all your abilities, no more. Maybe they could be improved in future. This problem is not connected to the topic. I understand why this question appeared, and I suggest not considering the part of SUS as usual computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users