• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Jeanne Calment at 81

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

http://video.tvguide...S/Lust for Life

look near the end of the clip "van gogh:darkness into light"..

Jeanne Calment is speaking there with Kirk Douglas when she was 81 years old.

#2 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

She was born in Arles, the movie shows the city. I can even see the hotel i worked in..... my family lived in Arles *proud*
If it's the lady speaking in french with Kirk Douglas, she said she was 75. Are you sure it's her ?

By the way ..... :) Jeanne Calment and city of Arles.

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

She was born in Arles, the movie shows the city. I can even see the hotel i worked in..... my family lived in Arles *proud*
If it's the lady speaking in french with Kirk Douglas, she said she was 75. Are you sure it's her ?

By the way ..... :) Jeanne Calment and city of Arles.

Yes I was also confused by "soixante-quinze" because it was made in 1956 when she was 81.

Yes it's the woman speaking with Kirk Douglas..You can see that the facial features are Jeanne Calment...

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

She reportedly attributed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and nearly 2 pounds of chocolate eaten every week.

I firmly believe that olive oil, resveratrol (from her port wine), and chocolate all three played a giant role in her longevity. In effect, she was on a supplement program. Port, olive oil and chocolate are basically whole food extracts.
  • like x 1

#5 BrandonFlorida

• 76 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

She reportedly attributed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and nearly 2 pounds of chocolate eaten every week.

I firmly believe that olive oil, resveratrol (from her port wine), and chocolate all three played a giant role in her longevity. In effect, she was on a supplement program. Port, olive oil and chocolate are basically whole food extracts.

I once found and viewed a film of her at 114 in Youtube. I'm at work and would find it difficult to check for the URL now, but I think I just went there and searched on her name.

I believe she stated that she ate two pounds of chocolate every week. I would certainly like to know more about the antioxidants in chocolate. It's dark chocolate that's really effective, I imagine.

Edited by BrandonFlorida, 13 October 2008 - 07:51 PM.

#6 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

It is a pity that noone knows what she died of or made any scientific study of her body...

#7 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:47 AM

Shes 114 here

This is a video of Jeanne Calment when she was 119 years old.

Edited by Matt, 14 October 2008 - 03:52 AM.

#8 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Has anyone read the paper " mental status examination exceptional case of longevity". It is very interesting to see that she didn't suffer from dementia and had a higher than average IQ.

#9 ASC2111

• 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

And, for information, she has made a rap-techno album at 121, naming "Maitresse du temps" with 4 tracks. This album is free listening at this adress : http://wallywashis.n...resse du temps/. For listening them, you just have to go here : http://wallywashis.n...n?5dfb7f100f8af and register (password creation) and then respond to just one survey. ;)

Edited by ASC2111, 05 October 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#10 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

"I've Only Got One Wrinkle And I'm Sitting On It" (Jeanne Calment),

D||mn & W()wzers! In the pic she's 60 years old: still went on and on for 62 more years........................

Posted Image

#11 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

I believe it to be her sick-ass genetics. The likely result of a reduced gene pool of long lived individuals.

If anything -- the copper and lead in chocolate, probably did not help her that much.

Almost without doubt, the port wine and unprocessed olive oil must have helped a little.

#12 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:34 AM

I believe it to be her sick-ass genetics. The likely result of a reduced gene pool of long lived individuals.

If anything -- the copper and lead in chocolate, probably did not help her that much.

Almost without doubt, the port wine and unprocessed olive oil must have helped a little.

2 pounds of chocolate every week!?!? Food smothered in olive oil!? So much for CR....
It's a wonder she didn't weigh 120 kilos!
I think she just won the genetic lottery.

#13 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

I eat almost as much chocolate (though I'm trying to reduce it because of iron, lead and oxalates) and drown food in olive oil. Never caused me any weight gain.

#14 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

wow she did look pretty average, or even old at 60!

#15 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

Personally, I'd like it to be verified to be her (in the video). I have pretty decent facial recognition -- and it doesn't really look like her to me. But I could always be proven wrong.

#16 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:22 AM

2 pounds of chocolate every week!?!? Food smothered in olive oil!? So much for CR....

Remember, we're talking about european chocolate here, not chocolate flavoured mixture of fat and sugar that Americans are familiar with. That's about 100grams a day over the course of a week of high quality chocolate, containing magnesium, chromium (along with other trace minerals,) resveratrol, all sorts of other polyphenols, high quality cacao butter. It makes perfect sense. Regular consumption of chocolate has been linked to longer life.

As for the olive oil, it's pretty common for people on the Mediterranean diet to lay it on heavy. She was making good dietary choices..

#17 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Remember, we're talking about european chocolate here, not chocolate flavoured mixture of fat and sugar that Americans are familiar with. That's about 100grams a day over the course of a week of high quality chocolate, containing magnesium, chromium (along with other trace minerals,) resveratrol, all sorts of other polyphenols, high quality cacao butter. It makes perfect sense. Regular consumption of chocolate has been linked to longer life.

As for the olive oil, it's pretty common for people on the Mediterranean diet to lay it on heavy. She was making good dietary choices..

Oh come ON guys!
How many people eat lots of olive oil?
How many people eat lots of chocolate?
Even combining the 2 subsets of above from: (all people on earth) must equal thousands.
She did that from (guessing) 1900?? = Last 110 years (almost).
How many have lived to be 122............= 1.
Now.....is it diet.....or genetics?

You do the math.

#18 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Actually, Victor, I have seen a thread on another website (sorry, can't recall it at this moment) that disputes that it was Calment exactly beause of the 6 year difference alluded to by the next poster.
That is; the year of the interview is known EXACTLY. The year of Calment's birth is known EXACTLY. But the woman in the clip apparently says "75" when asked her age. Thus, either she was NOT Calment, or she was Calment but was not telling the truth about her age (which is illogical.)

#19 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

there is a saying that one shouldn't ask a woman her age. It is believable that she may have lied about her age with a few years.

#20 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I stand by my claim -- didn't even look like her, the facial features are off.

In terms of European chocolate, do you think it was immune to levels of lead, copper, or iron. I think not for all three things.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:59 AM

"I've Only Got One Wrinkle And I'm Sitting On It" (Jeanne Calment),

D||mn & W()wzers! In the pic she's 60 years old: still went on and on for 62 more years........................

Posted Image

I just found this picture here in google connected to imminst here when I googled "imminst folding at home". Anyways, I just wanted to say, wow, thats Jeanne Calment at 60? I thought that was a woman in her 40s.

#22 Arata

• 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

*edit*

Edited by Quedin, 15 July 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#23 Castiel

• 374 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Was the chocolate truly dark and not milk? Also I've heard dutch processing vastly reduces flavonoid content even in dark chocolate, was it processed by a method that better preserves flavonoid content?

One study determined that 60% of natural cocoa's original antioxidants were destroyed by even light dutching, and 90% were destroyed by heavy ditching.-Wikipedia

If it was dutch processed one may achieve similar flavonoid content with far less chocolate that's processed in a better way.

Edited by Castiel, 29 January 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#24 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

#25 SIRT1

• 29 posts
Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

I have trouble believeing she ate a kilo of chocolate a week and didn't get diabetes.

It's 40-50% table sugar.

anyone?

Edited by SIRT1, 02 August 2014 - 02:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users