Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Niacinamide/nicotinamide

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

I know some bash Niacinamide as the "anti-resveratrol" in regards to SIRT, which I think can be debated on some level with dosing and timing, much like quercetin, but read this...

Thursday, November 6, 2008
Vitamin Holds Promise for Alzheimer's Disease
Treatment cured memory problems in mice, researchers found

By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

(HealthDay News) -- Researchers report that huge doses of an ordinary vitamin appeared to eliminate memory problems in mice with the rodent equivalent of Alzheimer's disease.

At the moment, there's no way to know if the treatment will have the same effect in humans. Researchers are beginning to enroll Alzheimer's patients in a new study, and scientists aren't ready to recommend that people try the vitamin on their own outside of normal doses.

Still, "it's definitely promising, and if we combine this with other things already out there, we'd probably see a large effect," said study author Kim Green, a researcher at the University of California at Irvine.

Alzheimer's disease affects an estimated 5.2 million Americans, causing senility and often leading to death. The Alzheimer's Association estimates that the disease will strike one in eight Baby Boomers.

There's no cure for the neurodegenerative condition, and medications have only limited effects.

In the new study, Green and colleagues looked at nicotinamide, a form of Vitamin B3 that is found in foods such as pork, peanuts, turkey, chicken, veal, fish, salmon, swordfish, tuna and sunflower seeds.

Previous research has suggested that vitamins such as Vitamin E, Vitamin C and Vitamin B12 may help people lower their risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, said Dr. Ralph Nixon, vice chair of the Alzheimer's Association Medical & Scientific Advisory Council.

In the new study, researchers genetically engineered mice to develop the equivalent of human Alzheimer's disease. They tested their memory by putting them in a shallow pool of water and seeing if they could remember the location of a platform that would allow them to emerge from the water.

The researchers then gave Vitamin B3 to some of the mice; the amount was equal to about 2 grams to 3 grams of the vitamin for humans, Green said. The mice were again tested in the pool.

The findings were published online Nov. 5 in The Journal of Neuroscience.

The forgetful mice who took the vitamin did well. "Cognitively, they were cured," Green said. "They performed as if they'd never developed the disease."

The vitamin appears to work by clearing "tangles" of a protein known as tau in brain cells. In Alzheimer's disease, the protein becomes poisonous and contributes to dangerous clogging inside brain cells.

The vitamin holds promise for people, because it's cheap -- Green bought a year's supply for $30 -- and appears to be safe. Even so, "until we've done the proper clinical trials, I wouldn't advocate people rush out and eat grams of this stuff each day," he said.

Nixon said the new study is "intriguing," but people should be cautious and not assume that "more is better" when it comes to possible treatments, even ones that appear to be safe.

Learn more about Alzheimer's from the Alzheimer's Association.
SOURCES: Kim Green, Ph.D., researcher, University of California at Irvine; Ralph Nixon, M.D., Ph.D., vice chair, Alzheimer's Association Medical & Scientific Advisory Council, and professor, psychiatry and cell biology, New York University School of Medicine; Nov. 5, 2008, The Journal of Neuroscience, online

#2 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

I know some bash Niacinamide as the "anti-resveratrol" in regards to SIRT, which I think can be debated on some level with dosing and timing, much like quercetin, but read this...

Thursday, November 6, 2008
Vitamin Holds Promise for Alzheimer's Disease
Treatment cured memory problems in mice, researchers found

By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

(HealthDay News) -- Researchers report that huge doses of an ordinary vitamin appeared to eliminate memory problems in mice with the rodent equivalent of Alzheimer's disease. [...]

SOURCES: Kim Green, Ph.D., researcher, University of California at Irvine; Ralph Nixon, M.D., Ph.D., vice chair, Alzheimer's Association Medical & Scientific Advisory Council, and professor, psychiatry and cell biology, New York University School of Medicine; Nov. 5, 2008, The Journal of Neuroscience, online

Great news!...A better topc title would have been, "Potential cure for Alzheimer!" Lets hope the human study pans out! I'm only a bit worried about liver toxicity.

Edited by Michael, 20 December 2013 - 07:28 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

I bet the same results could be obtained with plain old Niacin, only people don't like to take it because of the flush..... or Inositol Hexanicotinate, only its expensive.

Personally if I were to mega dose niacin I would stick to the forms that wouldn't inhibit SIRT, that's just me. I haven't read anything that shows that niacinamide does anything positive that can't be accomplished by other forms.

#4 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:36 AM

The ScienceDaily article has a bit more information: http://www.scienceda...81104180926.htm

In the nicotinamide study, Green and his colleague, Frank LaFerla, added the vitamin to drinking water fed to mice. They tested the rodents' short-term and long-term memory over time using water-maze and object-recognition tasks and found that treated Alzheimer's mice performed at the same level as normal mice, while untreated Alzheimer's mice experienced memory loss.
The nicotinamide, in fact, slightly enhanced cognitive abilities in normal mice. "This suggests that not only is it good for Alzheimer's disease, but if normal people take it, some aspects of their memory might improve," said LaFerla, UCI neurobiology and behavior professor.
Scientists also found that the nicotinamide-treated animals had dramatically lower levels of the tau protein that leads to the Alzheimer's tangle lesion. The vitamin did not affect levels of the protein beta amyloid, which clumps in the brain to form plaques, the second type of Alzheimer's lesion.
Nicotinamide, they found, led to an increase in proteins that strengthen microtubules, the scaffolding within brain cells along which information travels. When this scaffolding breaks down, the brain cells can die. Neuronal death leads to dementia experienced by Alzheimer's patients.
"Microtubules are like highways inside cells. What we're doing with nicotinamide is making a wider, more stable highway," Green said. "In Alzheimer's disease, this highway breaks down. We are preventing that from happening."

I read about this a few days ago, and ordered some Nicotinamide.

Do you think regular Niacin would be as good for this? I don't mind the flushing, and am worried about liver toxicity..

Excuse my ignorance, but what's this about SIRT and b3?

#5 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

I've been wanting to experience niacin flush for the hell of it. What's the best form and at what dose?

#6 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

Do you think regular Niacin would be as good for this? I don't mind the flushing, and am worried about liver toxicity..

Excuse my ignorance, but what's this about SIRT and b3?

B3 is niacin and its other forms. Niacinamide/nicotinamide have been adverse to the SIRT genes...the so-called longevity genes. While certain compounds like Green Tea and Resveratrol have positive effects...others are a bit more conflicted in research like quercetin and niacinamide. I don't think we have anything definitive on ANY of the aforementioned compounds, but often conflicting research is enough to avoid it or go out of your way to consume it at least. This is how I approach soy isolate for example. So I understand the thought process, but discussing timing and dose is just as relevant as forms.

Edited by Michael, 20 December 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#7 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

Thanks

I realize I may not get an answer to this, but what do you think: Is there anything in niacinamide that is not in regular ol' niacin, that would have prompted the researchers to prefer it for this use?

Perhaps it is just the lack of flushing? I get a flush at a mere 50mg of niacin, especially with a hot beverage.

#8 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Tau protein tangles and Amyloid Plaque are the major causes of Alzheimer:

This video is instructive:

http://video.google....4...brain&hl=en

The combination of Niacinamide and Curcumin should give very good protection agains Alzheimer. While Niacinamide targets the tau protein tangles, curcumin targets the Beta Amyloid Plaque. See this and later studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ogdbfrom=pubmed

B.T.W. the alzheimer Nicinamide study is up:

http://www.jneurosci...act/28/45/11500

The strong inhibition of Sirt1 is once more noted in this study. In fact it inhibits the Tau protein in a similar way.

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 08 November 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#9 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

Tau protein tangles and Amyloid Plaque are the major causes of Alzheimer:

This video is instructive:

http://video.google....4...brain&hl=en

The combination of Niacinamide and Curcumin should give very good protection agains Alzheimer. While Niacinamide targets the tau protein tangles, curcumin targets the Beta Amyloid Plaque. See this and later studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ogdbfrom=pubmed

B.T.W. the alzheimer Nicinamide study is up:

http://www.jneurosci...act/28/45/11500

The strong inhibition of Sirt1 is once more noted in this study. In fact it inhibits the Tau protein in a similar way.

Great Post! I'd love to see more discussion on this given niacinamide has been villified on here. Is anyone adding Niacinamide to your supplement routine given this powerful data? Or might you choose an alternate form and "hope for the best"?

#10 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

I'm adding it - will let you know how it works out in regards to memory :)

#11 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:21 AM

In this article, "Plaques of Alzheimer's disease originate from cysts of Borrelia burgdorferi, the Lyme disease spirochete", a link between lyme and Alzheimer's is hypothesized.

Niacinamide is used by many to fight lyme disease (for example, google niacin site:lymecommunity.com).

Sheesh, I'm starting to see Lyme disease everywhere. Maybe it causes paranoia too?
  • like x 1

#12 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

I wouldn't say using niacinamide to treat Lyme is mainstream, because I actually have Lyme and have been reading everything I can get my hands on for months and this is the first I've heard of it! :)

Do you have any citations to support the idea that niacinamide kills b. burgdorferi directly or in some way contributes to its demise? My first instinct to explain any observed benefit of niacinamide would be an immunosuppressive kind of symptomatic relief (mediated by IDO induction and its "tolerogenic" influence). I would welcome any evidence to the contrary.

In my view, treatment can mean only the complete eradication of the bacteria, not a coping strategy to make the immune system tolerant to its presence.

P.S. you're seeing Lyme everywhere because it IS everywhere, you only find what you are looking for, and you have begun to look for it. If you continue to pursue this avenue of research, I am confident you will become convinced as I have that the majority of diseases and disorders of unknown etiology have an infectious cause.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 11 November 2008 - 04:26 PM.

#13 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

I wouldn't say using niacinamide to treat Lyme is mainstream, because I actually have Lyme and have been reading everything I can get my hands on for months and this is the first I've heard of it! :)

Do you have any citations to support the idea that niacinamide kills b. burgdorferi directly or in some way contributes to its demise? My first instinct to explain any observed benefit of niacinamide would be an immunosuppressive kind of symptomatic relief (mediated by IDO induction and its "tolerogenic" influence). I would welcome any evidence to the contrary.

In my view, treatment can mean only the complete eradication of the bacteria, not a coping strategy to make the immune system tolerant to its presence.

P.S. you're seeing Lyme everywhere because it IS everywhere, you only find what you are looking for, and you have begun to look for it. If you continue to pursue this avenue of research, I am confident you will become convinced as I have that the majority of diseases and disorders of unknown etiology have an infectious cause.

Yeah, I wrote about it yesterday in the resveratrol thread on autoimmune disorders and res.

Dovetailing with what Funk wrote, I came across this paper by Dietrich K.Klinghardt, MD, PhD, "Lyme disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics":

It appears that Niacin has tremendous antibiotic potential against all types of Borrelia

I'd like to get some harder information (the paper is widely circulated over the internet) on niacin's claimed antibacterial properties.

In this paper laying out his hypothesis, Klinghardt came out in favor of nicotinic acid over niacinamide.

Have you looked into TOA free cat's claw (for example, this product)? That would be my first line of defense.

Testing for Lyme as you know is not straightforward. I've looked at some of the testing that's out there and came up with IGeneX' complete initial lyme panel (panel 6050, about $450) as a first choice and Central Florida Research's flow cytometry Lyme Antigen Test (about $250) as a second choice.

StephenB

#14 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

You can save some money on the Igenex Lyme testing by starting with just the IgM and IgG Western Blots (the most sensitive test available), which are $200 together. After coming up positive on that, there was no need to spend money on additional tests.

I read/skimmed Klinghardt's paper, and it has some interesting ideas but it is very light on references. The reference for his statement that niacin is antibacterial is a web link that points to a defunct website: http://www.vorsoft.c...iacin/index.htm. I think its entirely possible that he noticed psychological improvements with neuroborelliosis that he describes, but I continue to be skeptical that it has anything to do with killing of the bacteria.

I would consider the TOA free cat's claw extract as a potentially useful adjunct to antibiotics but I would not depend on them alone -- they are also light on proven evidence of their efficacy in Lyme Disease compared to traditional antibiotics.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 11 November 2008 - 06:10 PM.

#15 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Interesting comment regarding this study and nicotinamide / niacinamide from David Sinclair :

here

One must be careful when calling nicotinamide an "inhibitor" in this experiment. While it is true that our lab showed that nicotinamide is a direct inhibitor of SIRT1 enzyme, it is also a precursor of NAD+, and NAD+ is a co-substrate (i.e., activator) of SIRT1.

In vivo, there is an abundant enzyme called Nampt in cells and serum that initiates the conversion of nicotinamide to NAD+. Therefore we should entertain the possibility that nicotinamide is activating SIRT1 in vivo, not inhibiting it. This would fit with other papers showing that SIRT1 is neuroprotective.

Edited by Michael, 20 December 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#16 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

I wonder a bit about the anti niacinamide stuff. Although NAD+ can be assembled de novo (from scratch) using simple amino acid precursors, the need of NAD+ for the body is such, that that there is not enough. The body needs to build NAD+ from salvaged components such as niacinamide. Niacin and niacinamide are essential for NAD+ and NADH.

Edited by Michael, 20 December 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#17 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

So wouldn't it be a safer bet to use other forms of B3 until we know how niacinamide affects SIRT1?

#18 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

So wouldn't it be a safer bet to use other forms of B3 until we know how niacinamide affects SIRT1?

What other forms?

Niacin = Nicotinic Acid

Niacin is mildly toxic. Its side effect while being converted to niacinamide is the flush and lowering of cholesterol.
Niacin is heavily metabolized to niacinamide in the body. Because of this it is almost certainly false that Niacin does not inhibit sirt1.

Besides you would have to stop to eat:

Dietary Sources of Niacin
Food Niacin (mg)
Beef liver, 3.5 oz cooked 14.4
Peanuts, 1/2 cup 10.5
Chicken, white meat, cooked 13.4
Tuna, canned in water, 3 oz 11.8
Salmon, 3.5 oz cooked 8.0
Corn grits, instant, 1 pkt 6.8
Ground beef, 3.5 oz cooked 5.3
Cheerios, 1 cup 5.0
Peanut butter, 2 Tbl 4.4
Almonds, 1/2 cup 1.4
Potato, baked with skin 3.3
Bagel, plain, 2.5 oz 3.3
Flour tortilla, 10" 2.6
Pasta, 1 cup cooked 2.3
Mushrooms, raw, 1/2 cup 1.7
Barley, 1/2 cup cooked 1.6
Corn, yellow, 1/2 cup 1.3
Mango, 1 medium 1.5
Lentils, 1/2 cup cooked 1.4
Sweet potatoes, 1/2 cooked 1.2
Peach, raw, medium .9
Carrot, raw, medium .7

and get pellagra in the process.

#19 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

... Comment by: David Sinclair

Good find! Thanks!

#20 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Interesting comment regarding this study and nicotinamide / niacinamide from David Sinclair :

here

"Comment by: David Sinclair
Submitted 11 November 2008

One must be careful when calling nicotinamide an "inhibitor" in this experiment. While it is true that our lab showed that nicotinamide is a direct inhibitor of SIRT1 enzyme, it is also a precursor of NAD+, and NAD+ is a co-substrate (i.e., activator) of SIRT1.

In vivo, there is an abundant enzyme called Nampt in cells and serum that initiates the conversion of nicotinamide to NAD+. Therefore we should entertain the possibility that nicotinamide is activating SIRT1 in vivo, not inhibiting it.

I made this same argument about using NAD+ and niacinamide daily and loving it in another thread. I got shot down from the SIRT patrol. NAD+/NADH ratio is key in longevity. I made all these same arguments...funny...I love seeing this. It also is a good point about the conversion of nicotinic acid just above this post as well.

Edited by Michael, 20 December 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#21 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

So I wonder...now that there's a direct comment on this study from Sinclair...how does this affect those that have never used niacinamide either due to SIRT1 fears or just hadn't bothered in the past?

#22 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

I got shot down from the SIRT patrol. NAD+/NADH ratio is key in longevity. I made all these same arguments...funny...I love seeing this. It also is a good point about the conversion of nicotinic acid just above this post as well.

Forum consensus on a speculative topic doesn't mean they're right. :)

Humble pie has life extending properties, I'm told.

StephenB

#23 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

My dermatologist, when putting me on prednisone to quell an eczema flare up, suggested I
also take 750 mg of niacinamide along with 30 mg of zinc and 500 mg of folic acid twice a day.
I finished the prednisone course but I'm continuing to take the niacinamide/zinc/folic acid combo.
I had the niacinamide powder for a few months, hearing that it is good for the skin, but never used it until now.
I am wondering, aside from the questionable SIRT1 issue, if there are any adverse effects I should be concerned about at 1500 mg a day.

ETA~since posting this question, I've done some research and see that it can cause liver damage in high doses, which I think
I might be taking since they are suggesting daily doses of 13 mg.
Would taking something like silymarin mitigate this?

Edited by missminni, 14 November 2008 - 06:38 PM.

#24 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

D. L. Bissett, K. Miyamoto, P. Sun, J. Li, C. A. Berge (2004) Topical niacinamide reduces yellowing, wrinkling, red blotchiness, and hyperpigmented spots in aging facial skin1
International Journal of Cosmetic Science 26 (5) , 231–238 doi:10.1111/j.1467-2494.2004.00228.x
Previous clinical testing of topical niacinamide (vitamin B3) has revealed a broad array of improvements in the appearance of aging facial skin. The study reported here was done to confirm some of those previous observations and to evaluate additional end points such as skin anti-yellowing. Caucasian female subjects (n = 50, aged 40–60 years) participated in a 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, split-face, left–right randomized clinical study assessing two topical products: moisturizer control product versus the same moisturizer product containing 5% niacinamide. Niacinamide was well tolerated by the skin and provided significant improvements versus control in end points evaluated previously: fine lines/wrinkles, hyperpigmentation spots, texture, and red blotchiness. In addition, skin yellowing (sallowness) versus control was significantly improved. The mechanism by which this array of benefits is achieved with niacinamide is discussed.
Effect of myristyl nicotinate on retinoic acid therapy for facial photodamage.

Jacobson MK, Kim H, Coyle WR, Kim M, Coyle DL, Rizer RL, Jacobson EL.
Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, and Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Niadyne Development Inc.,Tucson, AZ 85724, USA. mjacobson@pharmacy.arizona.edu
Based on the hypothesis that skin barrier impairment is a contributor to side-effects associated with retinoic acid therapy, a double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study examined the combined use of retinoic acid with myristyl nicotinate (MN), a lipophilic derivative of niacin that enhances skin barrier function, in female subjects with mild to moderate facial photodamage. The study involved a 1-month run-in period with placebo or MN prior to initiation of retinoic acid therapy for 3 months. Analysis of skin biopsies revealed that retinoic acid therapy resulted in stratum corneum thinning of approximately 25% (P = 0.006 versus baseline) that was ameliorated by MN use (P < 0.005). Therapy resulted in an increased rate of transepidermal water loss (TEWL) of approximately 45% (P = 0.001 versus baseline) and use of MN protected against the increase in TEWL with the strongest protection provided by prior use of MN (P = 0.056 versus placebo). MN use reduced the incidence of side-effects of the therapy and again prior use provided the greatest reduction of side-effects. Subjects showed statistically significant clinical improvement (P < 0.05 versus baseline) during the study. MN use did not interfere with any clinical improvement parameters and improved effects on temple laxity (P = 0.01 versus placebo). Analysis of changes in epidermal thickness, Ki67-positive cells and intensity of loricrin staining demonstrated that MN either improved or did not interfere with retinoic acid efficacy. These results show that prior and concurrent use of MN can mitigate barrier impairment and improve the tolerability of retinoic acid therapy for facial photodamage without interfering with efficacy.
Aging Cell. 2006 Oct;5(5):423-36. Epub 2006 Aug 25. Links
Nicotinamide extends replicative lifespan of human cells.

Kang HT, Lee HI, Hwang ES.
Department of Life Science, University of Seoul, Dongdaemungu, Jeonnongdong, Seoul, Korea.
We found that an ongoing application of nicotinamide to normal human fibroblasts not only attenuated expression of the aging phenotype but also increased their replicative lifespan, causing a greater than 1.6-fold increase in the number of population doublings. Although nicotinamide by itself does not act as an antioxidant, the cells cultured in the presence of nicotinamide exhibited reduced levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and oxidative damage products associated with cellular senescence, and a decelerated telomere shortening rate without a detectable increase in telomerase activity. Furthermore, in the treated cells growing beyond the original Hayflick limit, the levels of p53, p21WAF1, and phospho-Rb proteins were similar to those in actively proliferating cells. The nicotinamide treatment caused a decrease in ATP levels, which was stably maintained until the delayed senescence point. Nicotinamide-treated cells also maintained high mitochondrial membrane potential but a lower respiration rate and superoxide anion level. Taken together, in contrast to its demonstrated pro-aging effect in yeast, nicotinamide extends the lifespan of human fibroblasts, possibly through reduction in mitochondrial activity and ROS production.

This is from "Kingston" on another thread:

I think it would be a good idea to use niacinamide for your skin. Niacinamide is a clinically proven ingredient that has legit research to back up many of its claims. IMO a moisturizer with niacinamde along with sunscreen, retinoids, and antioxidants comprise the best anti-aging skin care regimen. I too am also curious to learn more about the inhibition of sirtuins by niacinamide, but in the mean time I've listed all the reasons why niacinamide is beneficial and a favorite of mine.

1) Effective moisturizer

2) Treats inflammation

3) Helps repair DNA damage caused by UVR and can lessen UVR-induced erythema (E. Jacobson, et al: Optimizing the energy status of skin cells during solar radiation:J. Photochem.
Photobiol.:2001: 63: pp 141-147)

4) Improves skin firmness, skin tone, fine lines, and wrinkles (P.K. Farris, MD: Cosmeceuticals. A Review of the Science Behind the Claims: Cosmetic
Dermatology: March 2003: Vol. 16: No 3: pp 59-66)

5) It helps skin resist photodamage and delays onset of certain types of photodamage

6) Reduces yellowing, wrinkling, red blotchiness, and hyperpigmentation (Bissett DL, Miyamoto K, Sun P, Li J, Berge CA.)

7) Stimulates synthesis of collagen, involoucrin, filigrn and keratin (in vitro) (British Journal of Dermatology:

2000: 143: pp 524 -531)

8) Increases biosynthesis of ceramides and other strateum corneum lipids to improve skin barrier (in vivo) (British Journal of Dermatology:

2000: 143: pp 524 -531)

9) Decrease hyperpigmentation and increase skin lightness (T. Hakozaki, et al: The effect of niacinamide on reducing cutaneous pigmentation and suppression

of melanosome transfer: British Journal of Dermatology:2002:147:pp 20-31)

10) enhances cutaneous exfoliation of the skin (P .K. Farris, MD: Cosmeceuticals. A Review of the Science Behind the Claims: Cosmetic
Dermatology: March 2003: Vol. 16: No 3: pp 59-66)

Its a favorite ingredient of Dr. Baumann and is on Paula Begoun's A-list of anti-aging ingredients.

Hope this helps!

#25 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

So what about dosage? I'm planing to start on 250 mg and go up to 1 gram instant release.
This should protect or enhance my memory function, make me look younger, give me protection against
neuro deseases, make my cells last longer and totally inhibit Sirt1...The irony of it!

I 'm not prepared to take more than 1 gram because of the possibility of liver toxicity, although that usually happens at 2 gram or more. I give the Sirt1 patrol one last chance to change my mind. Will I wake up old one day? No fear mongering please :)

#26 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

in my search on side effects of high dose niacinamide, I found this:

Niacinamide for osteoarthritis - Literature Review & Commentary - Brief Article
Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, May, 2002 by Alan R. Gaby
Seventy-two patients with osteoarthritis of at least five years' duration who required daily anti-inflammatory medication were randomly assigned to receive, in double-blind fashion, niacinamide (500 mg six times per day) or placebo for 12 weeks. Outcome measures included global arthritis impact, pain, joint range of motion, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). Sixty patients completed the study. Global arthritis impact improved by 29% in patients receiving niacinamide and worsened by 10% in patients receiving placebo (p = 0.04). Although pain levels were no different in the two groups, patients on niacinamide reduced their anti-inflammatory medication by 13%, compared with a slight increase in the placebo group (p < 0.02). Niacinamide reduced ESR by 22% compared with placebo (p < 0.005) and increased the joint range index by 4.5 degrees more than did placebo (8.0 vs. 3.5 degrees; p < 0.04). The mean SGOT CAST) level increased by 20% over baseline in the niacinamide group, but none of the values rose to a level that was considered dangerous or of concern. Side effects were mild and consisted primarily of gastrointestinal symptoms, which were managed by taking the niacinamide with food or extra fluids.

Comment: The results of this controlled study confirm a report from the 1940s indicating that niacinamide is an effective treatment for osteoarthritis. According to the original observations of Dr. William Kaufman, niacinamide therapy produces a gradual and progressive improvement in joint symptoms and range of motion. The vitamin is not a pain reliever or an anti-inflammatory agent; rather, it appears to control and gradually reverse the disease process through an unknown mechanism. If niacinamide is discontinued, the arthritis gradually returns. Kaufman observed that taking niacinamide in six divided doses is more effective than taking the same daily amount in three divided doses. While elevated liver enzymes, indicating potential liver damage, can occur with long-term use of large doses of niacinamide, this problem is rare with daily doses of 3 g or less. Nevertheless, I advise patients taking more than 1,500 mg/day of niacinamide to have periodic liver function tests; for example, after three months of tr eatment and once a year thereafter. Niacinamide appears to be as effective as glucosamine sulfate, although there have been no studies comparing these compounds directly. Moreover, unlike glucosamine sulfate or chondroitin sulfate, niacinamide therapy often results in positive side effects, such as better mood and energy, which presumably reflect the central role of this vitamin in human biochemistry. Another advantage of niacinamide is its low cost. Additional research is needed to determine whether combining niacinamide with glucosamine sulfate or chondroitin sulfate is more effective than using any of these agents alone.

Jonas WB, et al. The effect of niacinamide on osteoarthritis: a pilot study. Inflamm Res 1996;45:330-334.

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:44 AM

Wow, the rehabilitation of Niacinamide! That was a quick turnaround.

#28 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

My Dad (93 yrs old) is taking Resveratrol twice a day. (3 g each time) with excellent results. He
has osteoarthritis in his spine. Now that I've read that Niacinamide reverses arthritis:

The results of this controlled study confirm a report from the 1940s indicating that niacinamide is an effective treatment for osteoarthritis. According to the original observations of Dr. William Kaufman, niacinamide therapy produces a gradual and progressive improvement in joint symptoms and range of motion. The vitamin is not a pain reliever or an anti-inflammatory agent; rather, it appears to control and gradually reverse the disease process through an unknown mechanism. If niacinamide is discontinued, the arthritis gradually returns. Kaufman observed that taking niacinamide in six divided doses is more effective than taking the same daily amount in three divided doses. While elevated liver enzymes, indicating potential liver damage, can occur with long-term use of large doses of niacinamide, this problem is rare with daily doses of 3 g or less.

and that it is not necessarily the enemy of resveratrol:

Comment by: David Sinclair
Submitted 11 November 2008
One must be careful when calling nicotinamide an "inhibitor" in this
experiment. While it is true that our lab showed that nicotinamide is a
direct inhibitor of SIRT1 enzyme, it is also a precursor of NAD+, and
NAD+ is a co-substrate (i.e., activator) of SIRT1.

In vivo, there is an abundant enzyme called Nampt in cells and serum
that initiates the conversion of nicotinamide to NAD+. Therefore we
should entertain the possibility that nicotinamide is activating SIRT1
in vivo, not inhibiting it. This would fit with other papers showing
that SIRT1 is neuroprotective.

I would like to get him started on it too. How long should he wait after taking either one before taking the other.

#29 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

If you take niacin watch out for higher homocystein level;

Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)

(1) Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2P5, CANADA

Résumé / Abstract
Niacin (nicotinic acid) in its non-physiological dose level is known to be an effective lipid-lowering agent; its potential risk as a therapeutic agent, however, has not been critically considered. Since niacin is excreted predominantly as methylated pyridones, requiring methionine as a methyl donor, the present study was undertaken to examine whether metabolism of the amino acid is altered in the presence of large doses of niacin. Male Sprague-Dawley rats were given a nutritionally adequate, semi-synthetic diet containing niacin at a level of either 400 or 1000 mg/kg diet (compared to 30mg/kg in the control diet) for up to 3 months. Supplementation with niacin (1000 mg/kg diet) for 3 months resulted in a significant increase in plasma and urinary total homocysteine levels; this increase was further accentuated in the presence of a high methionine diet. The hyperhomocysteineaemia was accompanied by a significant decrease in plasma concentrations of vitamins B6 and B12, which are cofactors for the metabolism of homocysteine. The homocysteine-raising action of niacin, in particular, has an important toxicological implication, as hyperhomocysteineaemia is considered to be an independent risk factor for arterial occlusive disease. The niacin-associated change in homocysteine status may be an important limiting factor in the use of this vitamin as a lipid-lowering agent.

http://cat.inist.fr/...cpsidt=13458036

however vitamin B6 corrects the problem in rats.

http://jn.nutrition....tract/127/1/117

I suspect extra supplementation of B6 and B12 is necessary in the case of niacin. Mutatis mutandis the same can be said for niacinamide. Niacinamde is also secreted as primarily methylated pyridones, requiring methionine as a methyl donor.

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 15 November 2008 - 01:49 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Mortal Combat

• 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

Hmm. Niacin is converted to nicotinamide and then to NAD and NADP in vivo. Niacin is an essential nutrient. And how true is it that nicotinamide inhibits SIRT1 in humans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users