Photo
- - - - -

Aniracetam & Modafinil

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

I've been using Modafinil for the past month or so (see thread: http://www.imminst.o...p;#entry281130). It was mainly to replace Ritalin, which I'm taking (still, with lower doses) for excessive sleepiness, but also enjoy its cognitive enhancing benefits (mostly higher motivation and ability to work large periods of time).

I've now placed an order for Aniracetam. I've done some minor research on racetams, and they are considered "extremely" safe (which was my main concern when deciding to try it... cause I don't really "need" it). I was wondering about what to expect when combining Modafinil and Aniracetam. I usually take Modafinil once a day, about 100mg (sometimes 50mg, and now trying 150mg).

#2 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

I've been using Modafinil for the past month or so (see thread: http://www.imminst.o...p;#entry281130). It was mainly to replace Ritalin, which I'm taking (still, with lower doses) for excessive sleepiness, but also enjoy its cognitive enhancing benefits (mostly higher motivation and ability to work large periods of time).

I've now placed an order for Aniracetam. I've done some minor research on racetams, and they are considered "extremely" safe (which was my main concern when deciding to try it... cause I don't really "need" it). I was wondering about what to expect when combining Modafinil and Aniracetam. I usually take Modafinil once a day, about 100mg (sometimes 50mg, and now trying 150mg).

Tread carefully -- there could be unforeseen synergistic effects. There has been some recent speculation that modafinil may be involved in a higher occurance of sexually transmitted disease. Adding aniracetam to the mix may or may not be synergistic toward this end. Of course, its not wise to gamble with your genitals (ie. nefiracetam & testicular cytotoxicity) for the sake of cognitive improvement ..

http://www.imminst.o...mp;hl=modafinil
  • dislike x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

Tread carefully -- there could be unforeseen synergistic effects. There has been some recent speculation that modafinil may be involved in a higher occurance of sexually transmitted disease. Adding aniracetam to the mix may or may not be synergistic toward this end. Of course, its not wise to gamble with your genitals (ie. nefiracetam & testicular cytotoxicity) for the sake of cognitive improvement ..

Wait, do I get those from f***ing the pills? Cause I don't intend on doing that. :)
I also do not intend on having unprotected sex. And lately I'm not having much sex anyway, so even if this DOES increase my chances of infection - the odds are in my favor (sadly).

From what I've read, Aniracetam is relatively safe. You mentioned Nefiracetam, which hopefully is not similar to Aniracetam on that matter.
  • like x 1

#4 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

Wait, do I get those from f***ing the pills? Cause I don't intend on doing that. :)
I also do not intend on having unprotected sex. And lately I'm not having much sex anyway, so even if this DOES increase my chances of infection - the odds are in my favor (sadly).

From what I've read, Aniracetam is relatively safe. You mentioned Nefiracetam, which hopefully is not similar to Aniracetam on that matter.

Aniracetam is very effecient although it has an incredibly short half-life (~2 hours), and therefore needs to be dosed a few times per day. The therapeutic latency from aniracetam takes around 60 days for effect (inc. BDNF), although it has acute effects relating to AMPA.
  • like x 1

#5 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Aniracetam is very effecient although it has an incredibly short half-life (~2 hours), and therefore needs to be dosed a few times per day. The therapeutic latency from aniracetam takes around 60 days for effect (inc. BDNF), although it has acute effects relating to AMPA.

Yes, I've read that Aniracetam is very short lived, sadly after ordering it, as I'm looking for a "long term" solution. But at least due to its high potency I'll be able to evaluate the effect and perhaps next time use another form.

What's BDNF and AMPA?

#6 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

There is no way in hell that Modafinil is increasing anyone's chance of acquiring an STD. And out of the blue speculation that aniracetam might be synergistic toward that end is just plain ridiculous. A couple people on the boards have apparently gotten STD's lately and out of the large battery of noots that I'm sure they're taking they've chosen to blame it on their modafinil. How about people just stop having unprotected sex with strangers that sleep in the park! Seriously.

Anyway, Aniracetam is perfectly safe, but its not one of my favorite racetams honestly. Its fat soluble and thus should be taken with food, which conflicts with most of the rest of my regimen. It also seems to disagree with a lot of people. More so than Piracetam or Oxi. I've never been one to get side-effects from nootropics but aniracetam seems to cloud my mind and give me headaches about half of the time I take it. I don't know if there's anything in particular for you to expect. It may help give you some focus and improve your recall a bit, or it might not. If it doesn't work I wouldn't give up on racetams entirely. I've had good success with Oxiracetam and I know a lot of people like good ol piracetam. So I'd try out some of the others if Ani doesn't agree with you.
  • like x 1

#7 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

Wait, do I get those from f***ing the pills? Cause I don't intend on doing that. :-D

There is no way in hell that Modafinil is increasing anyone's chance of acquiring an STD. And out of the blue speculation that aniracetam might be synergistic toward that end is just plain ridiculous. A couple people on the boards have apparently gotten STD's lately and out of the large battery of noots that I'm sure they're taking they've chosen to blame it on their modafinil. How about people just stop having unprotected sex with strangers that sleep in the park! Seriously.

Anyway, Aniracetam is perfectly safe, but its not one of my favorite racetams honestly. Its fat soluble and thus should be taken with food, which conflicts with most of the rest of my regimen. It also seems to disagree with a lot of people. More so than Piracetam or Oxi. I've never been one to get side-effects from nootropics but aniracetam seems to cloud my mind and give me headaches about half of the time I take it. I don't know if there's anything in particular for you to expect. It may help give you some focus and improve your recall a bit, or it might not. If it doesn't work I wouldn't give up on racetams entirely. I've had good success with Oxiracetam and I know a lot of people like good ol piracetam. So I'd try out some of the others if Ani doesn't agree with you.

Firstly, I also believe the STD thing is flat out ridiculous. There's no way it can give you STD. The worse it can do is maybe lower your immune system's functions (which makes you susceptible to ANY diseases), but there are no evidence of that.

I was saddened to read that Aniracetam isn't all it's cracked up to be... I didn't know it was so short lived before I've purchased it. I assumed it wasn't because of its fat solubility. Are the increased side effects your personal experience, or is it something that is common with this sort of racetam?

The thing I'm mostly interested in is the combination of it with Modafinil, if anyone had any experiences of taking both?

Also, Zoroaster, you mentioned that your regimen mostly consists of things to take on an empty stomach (or at least that's what I've gathered from what you wrote) - I've always had trouble with my own regimen regarding which supplements to take with food and which not. Can you shed some light on that? All I know is that amino acids are recommended to be taken on empty stomach, and vitamins and coQ10 with food.

#8 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say Aniracetam isn't all its cracked up to be. For some people it works really well. The side-effects are my personal experience but I think there's also a general consensus that Aniracetam's effects seem to be more variable from person to person than are the effects of the other racetams. So its still certainly worth trying. It works great for some people.

As far as absorption issues go it can be tough to find that kind of information for some noots. I know piracetam and oxiracetam should be taken on an empty stomach, along with pretty much all herbs and plant derivatives like Hup A or Vinpocetine. Most minerals should also be taken on an empty stomach. As well as amino-acids like you said. Vitamins are actually variable. You've got your fat solubles like E,A,K, and D which need to be taken with food, while all the rest are pretty much water-soluble so they can be taken on an empty stomach though I'm not sure a full stomach hurts your absorption for most of them. If you're taking a multivitamin/mineral you're kind of in a tough spot since you're not going to get good absorption of your fat-soluble vitamins if you take it on an empty stomach, but you'll get pretty poor absorption of certain key minerals if you take it on a full stomach. Most choline sources should be taken with food for maximum effect. But I generally just take choline with my other nootropics, all the rest of which are water-soluble. I'm sure it hurts my absorption but I probably still get some in there. And I eat a lot of choline-rich foods so I'm not that worried about my choline levels.

Anyway I think that covers most nootropics. In general if something if fat-soluble you should take it with food, and if its water-soluble you should take it on an empty stomach.

#9 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say Aniracetam isn't all its cracked up to be. For some people it works really well. The side-effects are my personal experience but I think there's also a general consensus that Aniracetam's effects seem to be more variable from person to person than are the effects of the other racetams. So its still certainly worth trying. It works great for some people.

As far as absorption issues go it can be tough to find that kind of information for some noots. I know piracetam and oxiracetam should be taken on an empty stomach, along with pretty much all herbs and plant derivatives like Hup A or Vinpocetine. Most minerals should also be taken on an empty stomach. As well as amino-acids like you said. Vitamins are actually variable. You've got your fat solubles like E,A,K, and D which need to be taken with food, while all the rest are pretty much water-soluble so they can be taken on an empty stomach though I'm not sure a full stomach hurts your absorption for most of them. If you're taking a multivitamin/mineral you're kind of in a tough spot since you're not going to get good absorption of your fat-soluble vitamins if you take it on an empty stomach, but you'll get pretty poor absorption of certain key minerals if you take it on a full stomach. Most choline sources should be taken with food for maximum effect. But I generally just take choline with my other nootropics, all the rest of which are water-soluble. I'm sure it hurts my absorption but I probably still get some in there. And I eat a lot of choline-rich foods so I'm not that worried about my choline levels.

Anyway I think that covers most nootropics. In general if something if fat-soluble you should take it with food, and if its water-soluble you should take it on an empty stomach.

Thanks. I'll open a thread on the general supplements forum for the issue of intake considerations.
As for Aniracetam - yeah, that's what I thought. It'll be worth a try. My main concern is with taking it with Modafinil. "Concern" might be a bit strong, but I'd still like to know what to expect.

#10 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:21 AM

Used the combo. It's fine. No particular interactions between the two.

#11 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

don't know of contraindication between the two. don't worry too much.

Kurzweil takes 250 supplements a day (or does he pop 250 pills ? or one GIANT custom-made capsule lol ) and hear he cuts it back to 150-200 diff ones now. That's ~200 SUBSTANCES, and who knows what interacts with what and what to expect when you mix hundreds of things if you tummy, but he's doing fine. but almost scary to think of potential chemistry going on w/ hundreds instead of you experimenting w/ a couple

#12 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

I took the two for a year or so, no problems, only increased mental accuity and vision.

#13 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

don't know of contraindication between the two. don't worry too much.

Kurzweil takes 250 supplements a day (or does he pop 250 pills? or one GIANT custom-made capsule lol) and hear he cuts it back to 150-200
diff ones now. That's ~200 SUBSTANCES, and who knows what interacts with what and what to expect when you mix hundreds of things if you
tummy, but he's doing fine. But almost scary to think of potential chemistry going on w/ hundreds instead of you experimenting w/a couple.

Ray Kurzweil employs a dude who is a "pill wrangler" for his bucket-of-pills-a-day regimen. How funny is that? :-D

#14 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

Kurzweil takes 250 supplements a day (or does he pop 250 pills? or one GIANT custom-made capsule lol) and hear he cuts it back to 150-200
diff ones now. That's ~200 SUBSTANCES, and who knows what interacts with what and what to expect when you mix hundreds of things if you
tummy, but he's doing fine. But almost scary to think of potential chemistry going on w/ hundreds instead of you experimenting w/a couple.

Ray Kurzweil employs a dude who is a "pill wrangler" for his bucket-of-pills-a-day regimen. How funny is that? :-D

you serious? Kurzweil not only pays for hundreds of substances (~250 pills and whatever diet he's eating) but also pays someone to manage his tablets, capsules, and powders??

#15 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

I like aniracetam.. I take both, as I like both my AMPA and NMDA working in prime condition.... They are very synergistic. To understand how, check out the little and very simple video in the link provided :-D

http://thebrain.mcgi...i_07_m_tra.html

#16 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

you serious? Kurzweil not only pays for hundreds of substances (~250 pills and whatever diet he's eating) but also pays someone to manage his tablets, capsules, and powders??

yes, he's taking custom-made pills and have someone manage it for him... after all, I could use an assistant on that matter, and I only take about 30 a day.

As for Modafinil+Aniracetam (or any racetam for that matter) - it's not that I'm concerned about interactions. Am rather more curious about the joint effect. But I guess I could never know without trying, as there are no study related specifically to both, only few testemonials (from some of you).

#17 robosapiens

• 163 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

'Racetams sometimes make me sleepy all day, and I find that caffene or modafinil helps with that problem somewhat, it doesn't take much.

I don't enjoy being over amped, so I like to just bump it up a tad. Sulbutiamine also works, but I find tolerance builds up rapidly, at least for me.

I am still in search of the perfect combination, is pram or oxy more stimulating?

#18 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

lol @ 2008 thread. Never read this actually, started on noops in like Oct 2012, but this is one of the best combos I've ever taken and I've taken a lot since then.

#19 Patrick Sylvester

• 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

damn, wish i was taking modaf and aniracetam in 2008!

#20 brainlove4

• 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I have tried anaracetam before. I can say that it gave me the most 'euphoria' out of any of the racetams (piracetam and pramiracetam) that I tried. I believe a tolerance was eventually build to this little dopamine rush; but I didn't get it out of any of the other nootropics I tried.

#21 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I have tried anaracetam before. I can say that it gave me the most 'euphoria' out of any of the racetams (piracetam and pramiracetam) that I tried. I believe a tolerance was eventually build to this little dopamine rush; but I didn't get it out of any of the other nootropics I tried.

Are you sure it was dopaminergic? I also experienced a rather pleasant feeling from being on it -- more so than all racetams, sunifiram included. But, I am not so sure that it was a generic dopamine rush.

#22 brainlove4

• 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

One cannot be sure; however I think it was. It does not directly stimulate dopamine production, but I believe it was because the effect was something 'different, unique, and better than I thought it would be' that released dopamine. This is why a 'tolerance' developed that I was not able to reproduce, even with breaks.

Edited by brainlove4, 28 May 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#23 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

Yeah. I think I may order another batch and test it against sunifiram to figure out what's going on. I can say that it Ani definitely mellows out the zombie effect from modafinil and makes one more creative thereby improving inductive reasoning. A lot of engineers on the forums were complaining about impaired inductive faculties while on modafinil. I think I do agree.

Edited by alecnevsky, 28 May 2013 - 05:09 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 littlePawn

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is already the best one. Anyone else have any updates on combining Modafinil with Aniracetam? This seems like a potentially exciting mix.

Also thought I'd mention RE: the STI study. Without reading it (it's not necessary) this would clearly be a case of confusing correlation with causation. Of course it's logically impossible to have increased STI incidence from a pill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users