Photo
- - - - -

distance running and resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 qqqsimmons

• 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:01 AM

Is anybody here taking a high resv dose and distance running? I started running a couple months ago and am concerned about the possibility of tendon issues mentioned in other threads.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:15 AM

Is anybody here taking a high resv dose and distance running? I started running a couple months ago and am concerned about the possibility of tendon issues mentioned in other threads.

I believe at least one runner complained of Achilles tendinitis, but it may have been due to a change in training, or to impurities in 50% resveratrol. Some who complained of tendinitis said it later resolved, another continued to complain of tendinitis but with other symptoms which could have been mercury poisoning. Heavy metal poisoning is a potential risk with any supplement, but particularly with high dosage. Anthony tested a batch of 50% extract that had enough mercury to be toxic. 16 years ago I got a wicked case of Achilles tendinitis; my PT and I figured out it was due to runing on hills whil on vacation. Stretches and NSAIDs resolved it.

Several cyclists (myself included) have reported increased endurance and performance in their sport with high dose resveratrol, without tendon problems. Granted cycling is easier on the body than running. I have had tendinitis in one arm, brought on by unaccustomed manual labor (clearing brush mostly.) It seemed to be healing normally at first but it lingered too long. Cutting my resveratrol dose, and taking a three day break, seemed to cure it. Why? It was proposed that resvertrol chelates copper (tru) and so inhibits healing (false). one of our Imminst scientists pointed out that the chelation effect was all but non-existent at the serumlevels that can be attained with ral dosing of resveratrol. Resveratrol is a COX-2 inhibitor (like all NSAIDS) but the effect is weak, would probably reduce inflammation rather than prolong it if it were strong enough to be noticeable. Resveratrol does have an anti-angiogenic effect. t is thought to shrink tumors by ctting off their blood supply. It is possible that this effect limits blood supply to poorly venated tissue like tendons and ligaments, and so slows healing, or delays it indefinitely once such tissues are injured.

I cannot say with certainty what will happen if you run and take large amounts resveratrol. I'd expect your endurance to increase more than would normally happen with the volume of training you do. Whether you take resveratrol or not, tendon and ligament injuries are one of the hazards of running as a sport. If you do have tendon injuries that don't heal as fast as you think they should, in your running shoes I'd take a break of a few days from resveratrol long enough for healing to take place, just as you would take a break from or modify your training to recover. Perhaps resveratrol is somethng that should be cycled to allow healing or growth. Until more formal studies are done, we guessing, but they are plausible guesses. Good luck with your sport.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

I run around 5.5 miles a day mainly on dirt roads and trails up and down some fairly steep inclines, and take rsv (currently at 2 grams per day). I developed some tendinitis problems a couple years ago when taking small dosages (< 30 mg per day) of 50% product (Jarrows). These problems faded in and out over the intervening months but eventually faded away completely last summer when I reached the point of incrementing to 1.6 grams of 99% product per day. The vast majority of problems I have seen posted on this forum (even the extreme ones) are coming from low dosage users of rsv that has been blended with other stuff.
So to me the problems could be associated with:

1) rsv
2) rsv blended with other stuff
3) low dosage rsv
4) old tendons being worked too hard

The fact that my problems have gotten better with higher dosages of 99% rsv indicates to me that if rsv does something bad to the tendons there is some kind of cap to the deterioration caused that is not additive past some low dosage point, or perhaps there is even a reversal of the deterioration after the cap is reached. For every person who has mentioned tendon problems there appear to be lots more people with no problems at all, so this makes me think there is could be some kind of complicated mix of individual reaction to rsv and/or other ingredients in a blended product that is involved.

I feel very sure that had I taken rsv or not, there would not have been any tendinitis if I hadn't been running up my hill as fast as I could a couple years ago. This differs from the experience of many posters who didn't seem to have to work their joints/tendons very hard before they developed pain.

Really the only thing I am able to say with deep conviction (yet still no hard evidence) is that if I was in anyone else's (running) shoes and just starting out, I would not take any rsv besides a 98%/99% product that I really trusted, and I would not take less than 3 or 4 hundred mg per day...Since you are apparently already following this approach, I guess the best I can add is good luck to you! (And please keep us posted.)

#4 qqqsimmons

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've got a pain in my foot that seems to increase with the 50% resv. It may be more of a nerve thing than a tendon injury. I'm going off the 50% resv due to this problem and also insomnia. Not sure if I'm ready to invest in 98% resv yet.

#5 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

I've been taking 1-2 grams of the 99% for over a year now and have not had any tendinitis or other joint problems. When I first started taking t-res, I was mostly cycling and doing weight lifting with occasional runs on the weekend. However, that didnt seem to be helping
with my middle age spread very much (I'm 41 now) so I've gotten more into running. This summer I switched over to 20-25 miles per week running, mostly roads, and did not have any problems develop.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 qqqsimmons

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

Thanks Malbecman for sharing your experience...I'd like to try and more pure resveratrol. Maybe once my current foot issues are resolved...

Edited by qqqsimmons, 11 January 2009 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users