• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Job Opening: Secretary/Accountant

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

***The position has currently been put on hold. The Institute might once again look to fill this role late in 2009.*********

The Immortality Institute is currently looking for an accountant/secretary.

Job description here: http://www.imminst.o...ecretary_Duties

Previous experience with routine accounting, web design/html, or IPB software is a must. If you have experience in any of these three areas please send in your information as the accountant/secretary duties could be split into two different positions within the organization.

Please send cover letter and resume to support@imminst.org

#2 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:00 AM

I know friends/fam-members (some of my coursins, for example) that have experiences in all three areas, with routine accounting, web design, or IPB software is a must. Do they need to be members here though? They're a bit interested in LE, but not exactly radical imm.

If imminst has the dough, this Operations Manager position can be easily split into two or three jobs like you say, accountant, secretary, and/or web master etc. This will lessen the hour-load on many members and can help the org better.

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

bump

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

It has been almost a month now since this was first posted, and it has been bumped a few times to boot. i think it is time to consider dividing the position into two separate roles as I suggested earlier.

If the paid position for secretarial duties were split from the accounting role I think we could find both needed individuals easier. I think the secretarial role should remain with the ED but the accountant role should probably be a pay for service from a processional on a monthly or quarterly review basis and under the authority of the Treasurer.

By dividing these two roles we also improve the oversight ability for both and improve the likelihood they will be given the undivided focus they both deserve.

#5 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:15 AM

It has been almost a month now since this was first posted, and it has been bumped a few times to boot. i think it is time to consider dividing the position into two separate roles as I suggested earlier.

If the paid position for secretarial duties were split from the accounting role I think we could find both needed individuals easier. I think the secretarial role should remain with the ED but the accountant role should probably be a pay for service from a processional on a monthly or quarterly review basis and under the authority of the Treasurer.

By dividing these two roles we also improve the oversight ability for both and improve the likelihood they will be given the undivided focus they both deserve.

To be honest, the principle problem with this post is the lack of sufficient compensation. I intend on applying after I've set up the Teme Foundation, though honestly $7.70/hour isn't really enough to attract much interest.

#6 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

It is considered that the salary is more of a modest compensation and that the person undertaking it is still operating as a *quasi* volunteer. I however do not think the accounting aspect should be a volunteer role but one undertaken by a licensed and *responsible* person that CAN be held accountable.

The rest of the job description becomes more manageable without that aspect included and technically the accountant would be answering to two masters, which is also untenable IMHO. The accountant should be under the direct authority of the Treasurer, not the ED, as per the Constitution.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

It is a side job where you get to engage in a favorite hobby - life extension. That is not a bad combo. Imminst doesn't have the money to spend more right now and the economy is not getting any better.

#8 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

If i was able to do the job i would have done that for free.... ;)

Did you look on monster.com adecco.com ect.... to select a good profile ???

#9 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:05 AM

I'm not a licensed accountant, though I have learned a thing or two from two cousins who are fully licensed accountants, though they're not as interested in imm. meme and this "side job w/ little paycheck". If I were, I'd almost be willing to work for free. It's a hobby. I believe Imminst should really use professional in the finance area, esp if it grows big in the future.

As for the secretary and web work, general maintainence etc, almost everyone can do it. I'd be willing to work for half the pay or a third of the check, eventhough I'm just an average college student, no where near financially independent.

Edited by HYP86, 13 February 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#10 mineeds01

• 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:53 AM

People who need services from Accountants and CPA's can post their Request on Mineeds.com and providers will post their bids on your needs. Don’t waste time calling different local service providers, asking for quotes and negotiating costs. With MiNeeds, simply describe what you’re looking for and your need will be visible to thousands of quality service professionals who’ll be automatically notified of your request.

New York CPA & Accountants - Get Bids & Save | MiNeeds

#11 almighty

• 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

i have limited experience in IPB and web development, but i would be willing to be trained, and even work for free for the first month to make sure i would properly qualify for the position, and eventualy expand.  Unfortunately i am not working at the moment so time should not be a major issue, but the position would have to be flexable when i find work at a later date.

If this is acceptable i will gladly send a resume

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:52 AM

Ohh!
Becci was an accountant for a while and is looking for a job! is it still available? I will tell her! :)

#13 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

Uhh I just read and I am not sure if she has any webdesign/HTML experience.. but I can probably teach her ^^
Or apply for that part as you said it can be be split.. will know when she wakes up ^^

#14 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

The account/secretary/web designer position has been put on hold for the time being.

#15 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:31 PM

We can start actively recruiting for this again now right?

#16 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

Correct, looking again.

Ideally I think the MS would do the following:

1) Liase with members who whish to join but have questions.
2) Contact new members and invite them to supply some detail about themselfeves for networking purposes.
3) Contact current members (especially those who don't use the forum) and ask them about feedback etc.
4) Keep statistics (as much detail as possible without becoming intrusive)
5) Re-contact members who cancelled or failed to renew and ask them why.
6) Help with networking ("You might want to talk to ...")
7) Comment on all votes and activities concerning membership management or recruitment.
8) Not be BJ.

This was 4 years ago. Caliban and I have resurrected the idea of a membership secretary once again this year. This discussion goes hand-in-hand with the discussion about the proposed constitutional/bylaw changes, because some new positions could be outlined in the bylaws. I have argued more in depth elsewhere that if the Institute intends to grow in coming years, some new paid positions tied to the back-end operation of the Institute (besides ED) would be beneficial so that there is not a debilitating institutional vacuum in the case of resignations or other abrupt absences of significant executives/directors/leaders.

From the above list: 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8 are not very crucial to the operation of the Institute in 2009, but could be considered tertiary duties.

1. The main point here is "questions". The membership secretary (as I envision the role) would handle most member/user questions regarding use of the forums, logging in, registration, joining as a member, maintaining membership, and related items.

4. Keeping statistics. The main function here would be to keep track of members/users who are involved in various current and future Imminst initiatives. Example1: When a new "folder" joins our folding@home team and competes for the prize, the membership secretary would change their secondary member/user status to "F@H Registrant". Example 2: The membership secretary would keep track of those members who have achieved "working member" status - those who have earned short-term membership through volunteer work. Example 3: The membership secretary would keep track of who has become a project leader/champion and all of those who have volunteered for various initiatives.

7. Same as envisioned back in 2005. Membership secretary would be a fairly high level position that would have director level access in many areas, but would preferably not be a member of the Board, because....

I am suggesting a wage of up to $200 per month for approximately 5 hours of work per week.

#17 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

Can you write up a peice on this, for this? http://www.imminst.o...o...c=29780&hl=

I was just about to do it, but it might look better if you do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users