- - - - -

Would like a Consensus Opinion on Resveratrol thus far

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

I know, this drug has Zillions of posts. but i know that Harvard medical school has not completed its Phase 3 studies yet. and i am reading many possible side effects. I myself has been taking this about 3X per week for last 6 weeks now. I do feel the bursts of energy after taking it but not much else yet. I am experiencing some more joint pain, though not sure if it is the drug or my sports activity. and some stomach pains after taking it. SO, i would like to see what the consensus opinion on this drug is so far from so Many Experts on this forum. I have never seen so many knowledgeble people in a single forum EVER. Do you guys think this medication is helping you? some of these worrisome side effects like Joint pain Reversable if you stop it ? also, most of all, since this medication has direct effects on DNA, can it cause Cancer ? Thanks you so much. and Please be patient with me,, i am a Newbie here...

#2 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Also from what i have read so far on this topic. Most people here seem to be very HIGH and Positive about this drug so far. But i just want to emphsize that we must remain cautious til the Human trials are completed. I am in Healthcare myself and know extremely well about new drugs that comes out and how it can cause alot of excitement initially. How it affects the Mice to humans are so completely different. what i am mainly concerned with is how a Pure form of this drug would affect the human body in a adverse form. Any and all pure form of drug has much more potent and more magnified side effects. So the adverse effect profile completely changes once you put it in a Purified chemical form. So we can't assume that drinking Red wine is relatively Safe, so will this medication. So in all, We must be very cautious and visulent with this new exciting drug. I myself hope all goes well and trying it in a limited form. I am still relatively Young so i figure i don't have to take as much of it.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

There's no known toxicity to my knowledge. Resveratrol is limited in how much your body will take up (about 1%). Even very high doses only a small fraction will be absorbed in the gut, and it seems to cap out. Certain vehicles, like tween 80, or micronization, can greatly increase the absorption, but it is still rather low.

The joint or tendon pain seems to be either related to aromatase inhibitory effects or drug interactions with statins respectively. That seems to be the hypothesis that best fits the evidence. For the former, sunlight is a known cure for in some cases (melatonin needs to be lowered during the day, as it seems to be the actual culprit in the presence of lowered estrogen, but the research is still hot and new on this), vitamin D may be as well. For the latter, not much can be done if it truly is a drug interaction with statins (this is unproven, just a best fit at the moment), other than cutting back on resveratrol dosages.

Another important point is that the purer the resveratrol the better. Many low purity supplements have contaminants or other unwanted flavonoids that can cause a lot of trouble - which resveratrol then gets unfairly blamed for. Go for the highest purity possible.

All in vivo effects of resveratrol show it activating Nampt and Sirt1, PGC-1alpha, and thus being a calorie restriction mimic that leads to mitochondrial biogenesis, upregulation of the vitamin D3 receptor, increased bone density and strength, remarkable increased artery health, and a lot more like doubled endurance and increased muscle strength/control/coordination at even higher doses. Resveratrol is an anti-cancer agent, and has potent activity against a variety of cancers in vitro (especially colon and breast cancers).

#4 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

There's no known toxicity to my knowledge. Resveratrol is limited in how much your body will take up (about 1%). Even very high doses only a small fraction will be absorbed in the gut, and it seems to cap out. Certain vehicles, like tween 80, or micronization, can greatly increase the absorption, but it is still rather low.

The joint or tendon pain seems to be either related to aromatase inhibitory effects or drug interactions with statins respectively. That seems to be the hypothesis that best fits the evidence. For the former, sunlight is a known cure for in some cases (melatonin needs to be lowered during the day, as it seems to be the actual culprit in the presence of lowered estrogen, but the research is still hot and new on this), vitamin D may be as well. For the latter, not much can be done if it truly is a drug interaction with statins (this is unproven, just a best fit at the moment), other than cutting back on resveratrol dosages.

Another important point is that the purer the resveratrol the better. Many low purity supplements have contaminants or other unwanted flavonoids that can cause a lot of trouble - which resveratrol then gets unfairly blamed for. Go for the highest purity possible.

All in vivo effects of resveratrol show it activating Nampt and Sirt1, PGC-1alpha, and thus being a calorie restriction mimic that leads to mitochondrial biogenesis, upregulation of the vitamin D3 receptor, increased bone density and strength, remarkable increased artery health, and a lot more like doubled endurance and increased muscle strength/control/coordination at even higher doses. Resveratrol is an anti-cancer agent, and has potent activity against a variety of cancers in vitro (especially colon and breast cancers).

This is By far the BEST summation of Resveratrol in any forum i have read EVER. I cannot thank you enough. I only hope i can return the favor one day. If you have any questions on medication, let me know. I am in that field. Even though i have some nagging joint pain, i am going to keep taking it and see where it goes. I have not seen any Eye opening effect from it yet but we will see what happens.??

#5 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

This is By far the BEST summation of Resveratrol in any forum i have read EVER. I cannot thank you enough. I only hope i can return the favor one day. If you have any questions on medication, let me know. I am in that field. Even though i have some nagging joint pain, i am going to keep taking it and see where it goes. I have not seen any Eye opening effect from it yet but we will see what happens.??

Well, nothing too obvious should happen with resveratrol, it's all under-the-hood optimizations and the like, rather than directly stimulatory (and increases in ability/metabolism should happen gradually for most people and thus largely escape notice without active testing); which is part of what makes it so great, as one doesn't always want stimulation.

Just be careful with the pain, and get plenty of hydration and sunlight, as I'm sure you know, hehe.

#6 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Regarding the OP's questions; Yes, I do think Resveratrol has helped me feel better. Yes, any joint pain associated with intake, is probably reversible. I also agree that using micronized, 99% pure product is the best idea. I also think that "pulsing" Resveratrol (EOD or 3 times weekly) can be usefull.

#7 FedAce

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Regarding the OP's questions; Yes, I do think Resveratrol has helped me feel better. Yes, any joint pain associated with intake, is probably reversible. I also agree that using micronized, 99% pure product is the best idea. I also think that "pulsing" Resveratrol (EOD or 3 times weekly) can be usefull.

Thank you. this might sound silly. but i think i am looking younger since i have been taking this drug as well. I am noticed more by younger women, it seems like. and yes i do take the micronized form. It still isn't the purest form that is being tested by Harvard medical school, am i correct in saying this ??

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

I've been using 99% RSV from ReVgen (non micronized) for about a year now... average 1 gram a day...

So far, no positive or negative effects I can tell so far.

Could be my age tho, I'm only 27, so any noticeable effects may not be as prevalent.

But until I'll continue to take RSV as a preventative/maintenance supplement...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users