Photo
- - - - -

Rhodiola and SSRI's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

I am interested in starting rhodiola but read its a MAOI and that it increases dopamine, norepinephrine, and seretonin. I am on an SSRI and DNRI already. Would taking rhodiola be contraindicated. What are other good adaptogens that I could possibly take for stress?

I am not particulary fond of Ashwagandha as I have read it inhibits acetylcholinesterase and I am only 19 and don't think its a good idea to screw with this enzyme. I am already taking piracetam and choline.

Does anyone have expierence with Eleutherococcus. I read that it can also lower blood pressure which is good for me as I have HTN. Any other reccomendations for adaptogens?

#2 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

I am interested in starting rhodiola but read its a MAOI and that it increases dopamine, norepinephrine, and seretonin. I am on an SSRI and DNRI already. Would taking rhodiola be contraindicated. What are other good adaptogens that I could possibly take for stress?

I am not particulary fond of Ashwagandha as I have read it inhibits acetylcholinesterase and I am only 19 and don't think its a good idea to screw with this enzyme. I am already taking piracetam and choline.

Does anyone have expierence with Eleutherococcus. I read that it can also lower blood pressure which is good for me as I have HTN. Any other reccomendations for adaptogens?

No problem with Rhodiola and SSRI. Serotonin syndrome is a vastly overhyped condition.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tlm884

• Topic Starter
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

No problem with Rhodiola and SSRI. Serotonin syndrome is a vastly overhyped condition.

Haha, I have personally expierenced seretonin syndrome when I was a kid. It was only a mild case but I can tell you I do not want it again ;)

#4 k10

• Guest, F@H
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

I agree serotonin syndrome really is overblown. It's only dangerous if you don't stop the medications once you have the symptoms of it. The symptoms surely aren't fun but it can be completely reversed with some diazepam and stopping all medications for 24 hours.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

From what I've seen, all the herbals that are described as MAOI's are quite weak, and shouldn't be compared to true pharmacological MAOI's. We would see a lot more documentation both about their incredibly potent antidepressant effects (as opposed to maybe being a slight mood elevator in people who traditionally respond to drugs) as well as their dangerous adverse reactions if herbal and pharmacological MAOI's were at all comparable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users