Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

l-carnosine as a nootropic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lacura

• 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

I see alot benefits for l-carnosine. is anybody taking it or (beta alanine and histidine seperate )and getting any noticeable benfits as a nootropic? There is strong anti-aging benefits. Someone i read took iit for ADHD and felt better but didnt know why. It is good for metal toxicity. Now i heard that if you take beta-alanine and histidine seperately it makes a improved carnosine but this way is mentioned could be only good for muscles and not for brain. I did take a high dose(3g) of beta-alanine one time and did feel mentally clearer. carnosine is in meat and we eating alot less meat these days.

Carnosine is a small peptide that contains two amino acids, beta-alanine and histidine. It is found in relatively high concentrations in several body tissues, most notably in skeletal muscles, heart muscles, and the brain.

Carnosine nutrient supplements have been very popular among body-builders and athletes mainly for improving muscular fatigue. Based on hundreds of studies, carnosine in now being considered one of the most important supplements for longevity based on its properties. The exact biological role of carnosine is not completely understood, but studies indicate that it possesses strong and specific antioxidant properties, protects against radiation damage, improves heart function, and promotes the recovery from injuries. Additional, suggested benefits of carnosine include its role as a neurotransmitter (chemical messenger in the nervous system), modulator of enzyme activities, and chelator of heavy metals (i.e., a substance that binds heavy metals, possibly reducing their toxicity to the body).

Edited by lacura, 24 May 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#2 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

Just take beta-alanine. No need for histidine supplementation as it's readily available to conjoin with beta-alanine in the body. Carnosine gets cleaved back into beta-alanine and histidine when you take it, then reassembled into carnosine in lessor amounts - so it's inefficient to take it over beta-alanine. It's also good to sop-up excess histidine, for inflammatory reasons, so beta-alanine is the way to go in terms of cost and efficacy. It makes me more talkative, personally, and the flushes aren't terrible like niacin's flushes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:25 AM

You will get more mileage out of alcar, which is similar but basically more readily useable. It works pretty good but does not last long.
  • Disagree x 1

#4 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:52 AM

You will get more mileage out of alcar, which is similar but basically more readily useable. It works pretty good but does not last long.

ALCAR supplementation is cheap, and will go along with your intentions nicely. Make sure to not get carnitine and carnosine confused. With carnosine go beta-alanine, with carnitine, go ALCAR. Both work well together muscularly and mentally. Two different molecules that sound the same yet both stop glycation.

#5 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

Does ALCAR also have the anti-glycating effects of l-carnosine?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 zomethingtoxic

• 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:07 AM

Does ALCAR also have the anti-glycating effects of l-carnosine?

Why yes!
  • Disagree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users