Photo
- - - - -

Methylene Blue - not for everyone?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

I ordered MB from 2 different sources and started off at about 1/1000 the dosage recommended by geddarkstorm here. After about 30 min i got a metabolic rush, lasting also for ~30 min which subsided and recurred with food intake. Marked Nervousness and Excitablity, Heachache for the next day. Probably some allergic response/enzymatic reaction?

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

I ordered MB from 2 different sources and started off at about 1/1000 the dosage recommended by geddarkstorm here. After about 30 min i got a metabolic rush, lasting also for ~30 min which subsided and recurred with food intake. Marked Nervousness and Excitablity, Heachache for the next day. Probably some allergic response/enzymatic reaction?

I'm assuming your dosage was 60 mcg.

I think it's working exactly as intended. It increases mitochondrial efficiency.
If it's too much for you, try taking half as much.

I imagine the headache is merely your metabolism going back to normal.

I don't get the rush anymore. I just feel dull when the effect wears off.(~3-4 hrs for me)

btw, whats the rest of your regimen like ?
I wonder if MB is exposing some other deficiency.

Edited by rwac, 17 July 2009 - 11:19 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 okok

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

The dosage was ~1.5 mcg. Would be interesting to know what could account for such sensitivity.
I take a bunch of other stuff, mostly a fraction of usual dosages due to side effects (esp. carnosine).

Edited by okok, 17 July 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:40 PM

The dosage was ~1.5 mcg. Would be interesting to know what could account for such sensitivity.

All I can say right now is: Wow, I gotta try ~1.5 mcg.
This is starting to get homeopathic ...

#5 okok

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

Sure do, and tell me. Cause now i'm a little wary to savour one full droplet...

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

maybe try a very low dose per week and titrate it to the level geddarkstorm advised over a month's time.

Edited by prophets, 18 July 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#7 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:47 AM

I could be wrong but at first MB was working REALLY well. I was the sharpest kid on the block. I don't feel that effect anymore. Almost feels like it pooped out. Anyways, I thought maybe leaving my batch in the kitchen counter was oxidized by the sun but even with the new back, I still don't feel the effect. It could also be I added some supps that are counter-acting the effect. The only one that is new is Ubiquinol. Anyone else experience this?

#8 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

I could be wrong but at first MB was working REALLY well. I was the sharpest kid on the block. I don't feel that effect anymore. Almost feels like it pooped out. Anyways, I thought maybe leaving my batch in the kitchen counter was oxidized by the sun but even with the new back, I still don't feel the effect. It could also be I added some supps that are counter-acting the effect. The only one that is new is Ubiquinol. Anyone else experience this?

I've had this same feeling, but I've been taking ubiquinol/coq10 throughout.

I get the impression I just got used to the highs and only feel gentle lows now.

Maybe I will stop coq10 for a few days ...

#9 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

I'll stop the ubiquinol for a few weeks and I'll report and changes.

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

Sure do, and tell me. Cause now i'm a little wary to savour one full droplet...

This is purely subjective, but ~1 mcg seems to have a stronger effect for me than 60 mcg.
At this point, there's a definite chance it's placebo.
We do know that MB is highly dose sensitive.

Ok, who wants to try 50 ng ? :-D

#11 okok

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

Remarkable. What dose to you take usually? 60 mcg? I'm pretty sure my reaction wasn't placebo. Anyone know of other substances effective in this range? (LSD supposedly starts at 20 mcg).

#12 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

Note: The post below is for informational purposes only. It is based purely on my own personal experience and subjective opinion. Consult your doctor before trying any new supplement, etc. Don't take methylene blue if you wish to stick to time-tested conventional medicine and/or supplements and avoid any risks involved.

I tried methylene blue today. It's strong stuff I have to say. I took a single eyedropper drop of the 2% solution. Dyed my tongue blue for a few hours. Had to remember not to open my mouth too much when I spoke around people but it gradually went away. At first it had an intense effect and it felt like I had had my TV resolution perception replaced with IMAX. My thoughts were a bit muddled and then it became a bit more normal and I went clothes shopping with the wife and enjoyed this activity I normally hate. I then went to a museum and would normally get bored first but instead I got really into it and had enormous patience, interest and understanding of the whole presentation.

Since I evaluate neurological effects in the manner described by Eric Braverman's book "The Edge Effect". I'd say it was a very intense acetylcholine effect. Since I am chronically acetylcholine deficient I think I'm going to add this to my daily regime except diluted so that I don't turn my tongue bright blue. Perhaps the initial intense effect was a momentary hitting of the right point in the U dosage response curve before my serum concentration went above that? I think if I dilute this stuff in water, perhaps I'll be able to drink it bit by bit so I can maintain that optimal dose response curve position.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 19 July 2009 - 03:25 AM.

#13 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

okok: I have been taking 60 mcg for a couple of months.

abelard lindsay: We'll be waiting for your reports. I've noticed a brief burst (maybe a half hour) of energy just before the effect disappears, with a 60 mcg dose.

#14 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

This is purely subjective, but ~1 mcg seems to have a stronger effect for me than 60 mcg.
At this point, there's a definite chance it's placebo.
We do know that MB is highly dose sensitive.

Ok, who wants to try 50 ng ? :-D

How did you dilute the 2% to obtain 1 mcg?

#15 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

How did you dilute the 2% to obtain 1 mcg?

1 drop 2.303% solution diluted in 50ml.
(~1mg)

50ml = 50*20 = 1000 drops.

1 drop of diluted solution = ~1 mcg.
(actually ~1.15 mcg)

1-2 mcg seems to work better for headaches than 60 mcg.

Edited by rwac, 19 July 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#16 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Me and SO have been taking Methylene blue for a few days. The effects are dramatic and incredible. I think Methylene blue is a GABA fixer more than anything. We put 1 drop in a large water bottle (not tap water) and take occasional sips from it throughout the day.

I also think the study below is very interesting. I will refrain from turning this into a conspiracy forum and just let you draw your own conclusions:

Energy metabolism in human erythrocytes. I. Effects of sodium fluoride.
Feig SA, Shohet SB, Nathan DG.

Exposure of red cells to fluoride produces a variety of metabolic alterations, most of which are based upon the secondary effects of enolase inhibition, which reduces pyruvate synthesis and interferes with the regeneration of diphosphopyridine nucleotide (NAD). Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is consumed in the hexokinase and phosphofructokinase reactions but is not regenerated since the deficiency of NAD limits glyceraldehyde phosphate dehydrogenase. ATP depletion in the presence of fluoride and calcium induces a massive loss of cations and water.Of the other known sites of ATP utilization, membrane-bound ATPase is inhibited by fluoride, but the incorporation of fatty acids into membrane phospholipids is unaffected until ATP is depleted.The addition of methylene blue to fluoride-treated red cells regenerates NAD, permitting triose oxidation and the generation of 3-phosphoglycerate and 2,3-diphosphoglycerate. Enolase inhibition is then partially overcome by mass action, and sufficient glycolysis proceeds to maintain the concentration of ATP. This in turn prevents the massive cation and water loss, and permits membrane phospholipid renewal to proceed. Membrane ATPase activity is not restored by the oxidant so that normal cation leakage remains unopposed by cation pumping in red cells exposed to the combination of fluoride and methylene blue.

PMID: 4329003 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PMCID: PMC442073

Edited by abelard lindsay, 22 July 2009 - 02:56 PM.

• like x 1

#17 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Me and SO have been taking Methylene blue for a few days. The effects are dramatic and incredible. I think Methylene blue is a GABA fixer more than anything.

Methylene Blue is so much more than that.
It seeks areas of high metabolic activity (It's used to stain tumours), and improves mitochondrial functioning.

So it will help whichever cells you need fixing...

#18 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Me and SO have been taking Methylene blue for a few days. The effects are dramatic and incredible.

i've used methylene blue several times, in case if anginas. So have many people around me. We found it efficient against anginas. Other than that we never felt such 'dramatic and incredible' effects. I guess it's your imagination and i guess that the same imagination applies to most such personal tests of substances in this forum

#19 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

i've used methylene blue several times, in case if anginas. So have many people around me.

What dosage did you use ?

#20 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

i've used methylene blue several times, in case if anginas. So have many people around me. We found it efficient against anginas. Other than that we never felt such 'dramatic and incredible' effects. I guess it's your imagination and i guess that the same imagination applies to most such personal tests of substances in this forum

I bet it was a high dose. 60 mg ?
MB has better effects at tiny doses.

The concentration of MB varies dramatically in the body.
Higher concentrations will occur in areas with higher metabolism, Brain and Liver.

Additionally MB needs to be within a narrow range of concentration to be effective.

Take enough to help the angina, and the concentration in your brain will be too high.

#21 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Where are you guys getting MB from?

#22 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

I bet it was a high dose. 60 mg ?
MB has better effects at tiny doses.

The concentration of MB varies dramatically in the body.
Higher concentrations will occur in areas with higher metabolism, Brain and Liver.

Additionally MB needs to be within a narrow range of concentration to be effective.

Take enough to help the angina, and the concentration in your brain will be too high.

Very concentrated in the throat and not very concentrated in the body: Methylene blue has been sold for decades and until two years ago or so for anginas (not sold anymore as many other products exist). It was provided in a sufficiently concentrated solution to be almost black. You hold a stick on one end whose other end has cotton. You dip the cotton in the solution. The cotton now has the color of the imminst banner (look at the top of the page) or even darker. You paint the inside of your throat with it. Don't drink water for at least a few minutes. Of course if you don't paint right your tongue is a bit blue but who cares. You do that twice or several times a day and i recall that within approx two days the angina symptoms were gone.

Obviously the goal was smthg like disinfecting the throat, not to reach a specific concentration in the body. Do you think it tells you whether this use is a lot more concentrated than what you tried? I have to agree that i do have the impression that my mice are a lot more active and have nicer hair when they drink methylene blue (dilluted enough to have some very light color) but i am wondering whether it is my imagination or smthg like the water they drink is somehow disinfected

Edited by AgeVivo, 22 July 2009 - 08:08 PM.

#23 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

It's funny, but I can't find any references to this use of MB online.
Where did you get it ? How did you find out about it ?
Can you get pictures of it ?

When I hear Angina, I think chest pain. I guess that's not what you're talking about.

I'm going to make a guesstimate here, you used 1ml or more of the solution.
That would make the dose at least 10mg, probably too high to notice much.

Methylene Blue is mostly eliminated in the urine (blue pee: a legendary practical joke.)
and painted on substances do get absorbed.

People have noticed effects using a dosage on the order of mcg, so I think that it's very likely it's having a good effect on your rats. Would you happen to know how much MB the rats are drinking ?

#24 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

When I hear Angina, I think chest pain. I guess that's not what you're talking about.

oh wrong word, i meant sore throat, or tonsillitis
I hope there is still an old bottle at my parent's place, if so when i go there in a few weeks i'll give the references (and pictures). It was not concentrated enough to have blue pee.

Btw i know that blue curacao (alcoholic drink) also contains methylene blue. i don't think that at small doses it makes impressive effects

Edited by AgeVivo, 22 July 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#25 okok

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:43 PM

I guess it's your imagination

Yes, it's definitely in our minds... but not only. I can only second rwac.
Btw. my side effects are gone now, what remains is a definite metabolism boost. Have to cut back to get some more sleep. :)

(a quick google did only show E133 and E131 as color additives for curacao).

Edited by okok, 22 July 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#26 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

(a quick google did only show E133 and E131 as color additives for curacao).

Yup, I don't think Methylene blue is even an allowed food-dye.

#27 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Isn't the MB used in that study on Alzheimer's slightly different than regular MB?

Anyone tried Rember?

http://pipeline.cora...es_comeback.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rember

#28 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Isn't the MB used in that study on Alzheimer's slightly different than regular MB?

I doubt anyone here will have tried rember, it's in clinical trials for alzheimers...
I have a feeling alzheimers is kinda rare in this crowd ....

They have some claim about impurities, but basically the methylene blue for aquariums (which I use) probably isn't all that bad, especially when it's diluted down a lot.

#29 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:02 AM

I've been using Meth blue again but this time without the Ubiquinol and it's working great again! Somehow, these two together interfere with one another but the meth by itself is great.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

but the meth by itself is great.

I hope the DEA isn't monitoring us...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users