- - - - -

AGE content of various foods

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:35 AM

I wouldn't try and claim that just because the research was done in diabetics that we shouldn't be wary of ingesting dAGEs (dietary AGEs). Here's one of Vlassara's papers and they measured inflammatory factors in "healthy" subjects:

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1043:461-6.

Diet-derived advanced glycation end products are major contributors to the body's AGE pool and induce inflammation in healthy subjects.
Uribarri J, Cai W, Sandu O, Peppa M, Goldberg T, Vlassara H.

There is tons of new research regarding AGEs and I would love to go through them but I don't have the time right now. Sure pyrraline seems to be non-metabolized but that still is not enough data to tell me that ingesting unnecessary AGEs is neutral.

Sure we know diabetics can't handle AGEs, but they also cannot handle carbohydrates and is that not why a bunch of us consume lower-carbohydrate and lower-glycemic index diets? There's tons of people who can consume carbohydrates without ACUTE reactions but the long-term implications is what I'm afraid of. Also I'm not just worried about AGEs, I'm also worried about other things generated by high heat such as HCAs.

P.S. So is the immunoassay detecting pyrraline in butter?

Edited by Sillewater, 31 October 2010 - 02:37 AM.

• like x 2

#62 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

Is Butter High in AGEs? by Chris Masterjohn.

"Above all, however, it has to be realized that the term 'AGE' comprises a large number of individual amino acid derivatives, of which only a minority have been identified and quantified either in foods or in vivo."

Are we distinguishing the types of AGEs when we measure them? (Or are we lumping them all together like what was done with cholesterol?) Are food derived AGEs eaten as part of a meal less harmful then analogues produced in a lab and fed in isolation? (Like most AGE studies I've read?)

I don't know where this impression has come from: Vlassara has done a couple of studies of supplementing mouse diets with one specific AGE (methylglyoxal), but nearly all dietary AGE studies I've seen simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures. Glycotoxins are of course highly heterogeneous, as noted -- a lot like tobacco tar. To test SINGLE glycotoxins (or single, isolated constituents of tobacco tar) would not reflect conditions relevant to the real world; moreover, you'd either have to just arbitrarily pick one, *assuming* that you had one that was of physiological relevance, or isolate, chemically reproduce, and test each of thousands of individual products of glycation (or resinous products of incomplete tobacco combustion), leading to an unending and fruitless endeavor.

Exogenous AGEs are disparate. Some are easily cleared from the body and others are not. And then there is the rather complicated structure of AGEs, which makes it seem unlikely that many could survive digestion (discounting that many might suffer a leaky gut as the result of certain plant foods or artificial chemicals).

Sure -- another good reason not to second-guess, but to just cook things up and see what real-world AGE admixtures do.

One of the primary AGE components of milk products is pyrraline:

Glycation in food and metabolic transit of dietary AGEs

"Given the data for pyrraline excretion, it can be concluded that dietary pyrraline is nearly completely released and resorbed during digestion, followed by rapid elimination via the kidneys, thus leading to nearly complete recovery of dietary pyrraline in the urine. This indicates that, in contrast with Amadori products, of which only up to 5% are recovered in the urine [24,25], pyrraline obviously is not metabolized within the body."

And..

"Above all, however, it has to be realized that the term 'AGE' comprises a large number of individual amino acid derivatives, of which only a minority have been identified and quantified either in foods or in vivo."

So is the immunoassay detecting pyrraline in butter? [...] Sure pyrraline seems to be non-metabolized but that still is not enough data to tell me that ingesting unnecessary AGEs is neutral.

No, the immunoassay is detecting CML. Vlassara detects significant amounts of it; Assar, by ultra pressure liquid chromatography + mass spec, find negligible levels. From first principles, Assar's finding seems more likely reliable here. But as you say, even if pyrraline is harmless, that doesn't mean that the clear damaging effects of food AGE should be ignored, any more than absolving a single chemical constituent of tobacco tar means that smoking is all right.

We don't know enough about exogenous AGEs to state that we should avoid all cooked or high fat foods.

We certainly don't have to avoid either of those, and I don't think anyone's suggesting we should: in addition to any other merits, many cooked or high-fat foods are very low in glycotoxins, such as almost any vegetable after cooking by any means other than frying, or uncooked fatty foods (as noted in the Amino Acids report Masterjohn cites, whose important points I posted quite some time ago in this very thread. What you have to worry about is either (a) mixing heat, protein, and either fat or free sugars, or (b) high-heat cooking of sugars, which generates glycotoxins that aren't strictly either AGE or ALEs (can't remember proper term for these). I really think there's plenty of evidence for that.

Is there really data on AGEs in otherwise healthy humans causing problems? All I've seen is studies on AGEs in diabetics

Plenty of studies in normal, healthy humans and rodents: Vlassara's studies showing life-limiting effects of high-AGE diets in AL and CR rodents ((2,3) -- but see caveats here); many of the studies on food AGE in this post; 2 new studies in healthy humans administered high- vs. low-AGE diets (4,5) and the transmission of diet-derived AGE across the placenta from human mother to infant in utero, leading to elevated risk factor profile for metabolic syndrome (1); and of the association of blood AGE (which are confounded by the fact that they derive from both food and metabolism) in negative health outcomes in healthy nondiabetics, even after controlling for glycemia.(6.7)

References
1: Mericq V, Piccardo C, Cai W, Chen X, Zhu L, Striker GE, Vlassara H, Uribarri J. Maternally transmitted and food-derived glycotoxins: a factor preconditioning the young to diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2010 Oct;33(10):2232-7. Epub 2010 Jul 13. PubMed PMID: 20628088; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2945165.

2: Cai W, He JC, Zhu L, Chen X, Wallenstein S, Striker GE, Vlassara H. Reduced oxidant stress and extended lifespan in mice exposed to a low glycotoxin diet: association with increased AGER1 expression. Am J Pathol. 2007 Jun;170(6):1893-902. PubMed PMID: 17525257; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1899464.

3: Cai W, He JC, Zhu L, Chen X, Zheng F, Striker GE, Vlassara H. Oral glycotoxins determine the effects of calorie restriction on oxidant stress, age-related diseases, and lifespan. Am J Pathol. 2008 Aug;173(2):327-36. Epub 2008 Jul 3. PubMed PMID: 18599606; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2475771.

4: Uribarri J, Stirban A, Sander D, Cai W, Negrean M, Buenting CE, Koschinsky T, Vlassara H. Single oral challenge by advanced glycation end products acutely impairs endothelial function in diabetic and nondiabetic subjects. Diabetes Care. 2007 Oct;30(10):2579-82. Epub 2007 May 11. PubMed PMID: 17496238.

5: Birlouez-Aragon I, Saavedra G, Tessier FJ, Galinier A, Ait-Ameur L, Lacoste F, Niamba CN, Alt N, Somoza V, Lecerf JM. A diet based on high-heat-treated foods promotes risk factors for diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseases. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May;91(5):1220-6. Epub 2010 Mar 24. PubMed PMID: 20335546.

Upon heat treatment of foods, a characteristic browning and taste compounds are generated by the so-called Maillard reaction. The Maillard reaction is any reaction between a reducing carbohydrate and an amino acid (1) and occurs in foods during storage and heat treatment, with the rate and diversity of chemical reactions accelerating as the temperature increases . Maillard reaction products (MRPs) are chemically highly diverse and comprise taste- and flavor-active molecules and health-beneficial compounds (4, 5). In contrast, potent carcinogens are also generated, such as acrylamide or heterocyclic amines. … Thus, we conducted a randomized, crossover, intervention trial to clarify whether a habitual diet containing high-heat-treated foods, such as deep-fried potatoes, cookies, brown crusted bread, or fried meat, could promote risk factors of type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular diseases in healthy people.

6: Semba RD, Nicklett EJ, Ferrucci L. Does accumulation of advanced glycation end products contribute to the aging phenotype? J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010 Sep;65(9):963-75. Epub 2010 May 17. Review. PubMed PMID: 20478906; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2920582.

7: Tahara N, Yamagishi SI, Matsui T, Takeuchi M, Nitta Y, Kodama N, Mizoguchi M, Imaizumi T. Serum Levels of Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs) are Independent Correlates of Insulin Resistance in Nondiabetic Subjects. Cardiovasc Ther. 2010 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20626403.

There are several types of immunologically distinct classes of AGEs in humans. However, because of their heterogeneity and the complexity of the chemical reactions involved, only a few AGEs such as CML, (carboxymethyl)lysine, and hydroimidazolones have been structurally identified, and they occupied small percentage of circulating AGEs in vivo. In addition, lack of a standardized method for quantifying AGEs has made it difficult to determine which types of AGEs are clinically relevant to vascular complications in diabetes. We have recently found that this type of AGE levels are (1) positively associated with inflammatory markers in diabetic patients, (2) with thrombogenic markers in nondiabetic patients, (3) elevated in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, a hepatic manifestation of insulin resistance, (4) inversely correlated with adiponectin, an adipocytokine with insulin-sensitizing and antiinflammatory properties, and (5) as described above, this type of AGEs impairs insulin actions in both cultured adipocytes and hepatocytes. These are reasons why we used an ELISA system that recognized glyceraldehyde-derived AGEs in this study. Therefore, although glyceraldehyde is not a physiological sugar and its incubation with proteins will generate a large number of AGEs, including CML, (carboxymethyl)lysine, and hydroimidazolones, these observations support the clinical utility of measuring serum levels of glyceraldehyde-derived AGEs in insulin resistance in humans. Further, although the antibody raised against glyceraldehyde-derived AGEs used here recognizes many epitopes, which remain uncharacterized, the epitope of glyceraldehyde-derived AGEs seems to be different from well-characterized AGE structures such as CML, pentosidine, pyrraline, or argpyrimidine, or other reducing sugar-derived AGEs, because we have previously found that BSA preparations conjugated with these compounds are not recognized by this antibody. Structural analysis is difficult and remains a topic of ongoing investigations. In this study, serum levels of AGEs are associated with insulin resistance, independent of GHb, one of the early glycation products. The different turnover rate in AGEs and GHb may account for the results.

Unfortunately, we have no data about the dietary history of our subjects. Since circulating AGE levels and markers of oxidative stress can be influenced by the intake of dietary AGEs, it would be interesting to analyze the data by low and high tertiles of dietary AGE intake and serum levels of AGEs, inflammatory markers, and HOMA-IR index.

Edited by Michael, 31 October 2010 - 12:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

I don't know where this impression has come from: Vlassara has done a couple of studies of supplementing mouse diets with one specific AGE (methylglyoxal), but nearly all dietary AGE studies I've seen simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures. Glycotoxins are of course highly heterogeneous, as noted -- a lot like tobacco tar. To test SINGLE glycotoxins (or single, isolated constituents of tobacco tar) would not reflect conditions relevant to the real world; moreover, you'd either have to just arbitrarily pick one, *assuming* that you had one that was of physiological relevance, or isolate, chemically reproduce, and test each of thousands of individual products of glycation (or resinous products of incomplete tobacco combustion), leading to an unending and fruitless endeavor.

I am not convinced of everything in Dr. Richard Wrangham's book (Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human) but you might enjoy it. I find it impossible to believe that cooking isn't at least as old as organized hunting of mega-fauna, if not older. As such, cooking has clearly had an impact on our species by reducing both teeth and jaw size. It seems that humans would be uniquely adapted to the consumption of glycotoxins. It is also a very good reason why using a short lived vegetarian species with no history of cooking (such as mice) makes for a poor comparison in many nutrition studies (like those involving elements of cooked foods).

Clinicial Trials + Evolution + Anthropological Data + Human Biochemistry / Physiology = Educated Lifestyle Modification

Furthermore, have you looked the AGE challenges administered to the diabetics vs non-diabetics? These people aren't being fed a grilled steak or toast with butter, they're being fed something laboratory derived. This, in my opinion, is equivalent to the studies where saturated fat is 'vilified' by the trans-fat laden lard provided by P&G in many nutrition studies. And...

Serum Levels of Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs) are Independent Correlates of Insulin Resistance in Nondiabetic Subjects

Endogenous or exogenous? Correlation or causation?

Edited by Skötkonung, 31 October 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#64 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

nearly all dietary AGE studies I've seen simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures....

I am not convinced of everything in Dr. Richard Wrangham's book (Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human) but you might enjoy it. I find it impossible to believe that cooking isn't at least as old as organized hunting of mega-fauna, if not older. As such, cooking has clearly had an impact on our species by reducing both teeth and jaw size. It seems that humans would be uniquely adapted to the consumption of glycotoxins. It is also a very good reason why using a short lived vegetarian species with no history of cooking (such as mice) makes for a poor comparison in many nutrition studies (like those involving elements of cooked foods).

I haven't read Wrangam's book, but I have read one of his articles and heard him interviewed, and I basically agree with everything I've heard him say and also with what you say above. I don't see that it in any way impacts the current discussion: the fact that humans evolved to better exploit meat, and may have also been changed to adapt to nutritional changes resulting from cooking, doesn't tell you whether eating more or less of a given food or food prepared in one way or another is healthier for you. In any case, this would be speculation from an argument from theory; I presented controlled clinical trials and prospective epidemiology to demonstrate that there are, in fact, harms from eating foods high in glycotoxins.

Clinicial Trials + Evolution + Anthropological Data + Human Biochemistry / Physiology = Educated Lifestyle Modification

Clearly, the evidential value of clinical trials (and prospective epidemiology) vastly outweighs that of the other sources of evidence you cite here.

Furthermore, have you looked the AGE challenges administered to the diabetics vs non-diabetics? These people aren't being fed a grilled steak or toast with butter, they're being fed something laboratory derived.

Again, I don't know where you've gotten this impression. Perhaps you're confusing pure pharmacokinetic studies (like the pyrraline excretion study you cribbed above) with studies involving actual health and risk factor outcomes. As I said, nearly all such studies "simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures." Eg, you'll note in my post above that I had actually quoted one such example (reference 5 in that post): "Thus, we conducted a randomized, crossover, intervention trial to clarify whether a habitual diet containing high-heat-treated foods, such as deep-fried potatoes, cookies, brown crusted bread, or fried meat, could promote risk factors of type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular diseases in healthy people." Similarly, (1) below (cited by Sillewater) and this and several other studies included in the CR Society posting I'd linked, just looked at the AGE content of the actual, self-selected diets of subjects.

Serum Levels of Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs) are Independent Correlates of Insulin Resistance in Nondiabetic Subjects

Endogenous or exogenous? Correlation or causation?

Well, that's where the clinical trials come in ...

References

1. Uribarri J, Cai W, Sandu O, Peppa M, Goldberg T, Vlassara H. Related Articles, Links Abstract Diet-derived advanced glycation end products are major contributors to the body's AGE pool and induce inflammation in healthy subjects. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1043:461-6. Review. PMID: 16037267 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#65 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Again, I don't know where you've gotten this impression. Perhaps you're confusing pure pharmacokinetic studies (like the pyrraline excretion study you cribbed above) with studies involving actual health and risk factor outcomes. As I said, nearly all such studies "simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures." Eg, you'll note in my post above that I had actually quoted one such example (reference 5 in that post): "Thus, we conducted a randomized, crossover, intervention trial to clarify whether a habitual diet containing high-heat-treated foods, such as deep-fried potatoes, cookies, brown crusted bread, or fried meat, could promote risk factors of type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular diseases in healthy people." Similarly, (1) below (cited by Sillewater) and this and several other studies included in the CR Society posting I'd linked, just looked at the AGE content of the actual, self-selected diets of subjects.

Well... you cited such a study in one of your previous posts on the topic:
Single oral challenge by advanced glycation end products acutely impairs endothelial function in diabetic and nondiabetic subjects. (PMID 17496238).

Regarding the heat treated foods you mentioned, allow me to bold the key words here: "high-heat-treated foods, such as deep-fried potatoes, cookies, brown crusted bread, or fried meat." We're supposedly looking at the relationship between AGE consumption and occurence of type 2 diabetes and CVD, yet how are we correcting for the inclusion of sugars, starches, and foods fried in seed-oils? These are confounding factors. High glycemic carbohydrate and oxidized PUFA have both been attributed to the lifestyle diseases they are investigating. It makes the results seem suspect at the very least.

There are even significant holes in this study:
A diet based on high-heat-treated foods promotes risk factors for diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseases (PMID
20335546).

No luck in getting the full text version at this point, but I noticed something suspicious in the results section of the abstract:
"RESULTS: In comparison with the steamed diet, 1 mo of consuming the high-heat-treated diet induced significantly lower insulin sensitivity and plasma concentrations of long-chain n-3 (omega-3) fatty acids and vitamins C and E [-17% (P < 0.002), -13% (P < 0.0001), and -8% (P < 0.01), respectively]. However, concentrations of plasma cholesterol and triglycerides increased [+5% (P < 0.01) and +9% (P < 0.01), respectively]."

What is suspicious about this? Among other things, the decrease in plasma concentration of vitamin C and the increase in trigs. These are usually telltale signs of a diet rich in refined carbohydrates and sugars. Often researchers say things like they do in this article: "These 2 diets differed mainly in their contents of Maillard reaction products (MRPs)." But when you get the full text version of the article, you end up seeing things something like this: "Since the diet with greater MRPs had slightly lower caloric content, a small amount of sucrose was added to the diet to ensure that calorie intake in the two diets was identical". Yes, I am speculating here, but I've reviewed enough research articles on nutrition, and I've seen this type of thing more often than not.

And here's another study that I found suspect:
Circulating Glycotoxins and Dietary Advanced Glycation Endproducts: Two Links to Inflammatory Response, Oxidative Stress, and Aging (PMID 17452738)

This study seemed initially promising because the researchers controlled for caloric intake: "The consumption of dietary AGEs, but not of calories, correlated independently with circulating AGEs (CML: r = 0.415, p =.0001 and MG: r = 0.282, p =.002) as well as with high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP) (r = 0.200, p =.042)."

However, some of the results appear to be based on unstable beta coefficients and related estimates. Take a look at Table 2, for example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....45629/table/T2/

How on earth a beta = 0.002 would lead to a P = .009!? This is a beta coefficient that is very close to zero, the lowest in the entire table, and it is statistically significant!? Plus, the other b = 0.002 in the table is statistically insignificant; at least one would expect similar P values for similar beta coefficients, if reliable statistical methods are being used. Even stranger are the stats for what really matters, the multiple regressions linking dietary AGEs and serum AGEs. They have two types of serum AGEs as dependent variables, which they call serum CML and MG. Look at Table 4:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....45629/table/T4/

They have a beta = 0.204, with a P = .002 for dietary AGE intake and serum CML, which is statistically significant. Okay. But, for serum MG the beta = 0.015 and the P = .001!? That is, a much, much lower beta coefficient leading to an even more statistically significant relationship! My guess is that reviewers looked at these results and questioned the stats, which may be why the authors state that: "The Kolmogorov–Smirnov goodness-of-fit test was used to test for normal distribution." But they don't report the results of the Kolmogorov–Smirnov goodness-of-fit test.

Besides, have these authors ever heard about robust statistical methods (as used in WarpPLS; see warppls.com)? They use ANOVA and T tests. C'mon, statistical methods have evolved over the years, in part to avoid these types of problems! Now, for the final, and most damning issue if this is a paper that is supposed to indict charred meat as a major contributor to serum AGEs. Note that they find a significant association between dieatary AGEs and one type of serum AGE - serum CML. This is in Table 4.

But what is CML? It is carboxymethyl-lysine. And what kind of diet leads to particularly high serum CML levels? A vegetarian diet:
http://www.biomed.ca...3/krajcovic.htm

Anyways, my point here is that the studies linking exogenous AGEs to health problems aren't even close to damning.

I don't see that it in any way impacts the current discussion: the fact that humans evolved to better exploit meat, and may have also been changed to adapt to nutritional changes resulting from cooking, doesn't tell you whether eating more or less of a given food or food prepared in one way or another is healthier for you.

Selective pressures among our ancestors were definitely reduced post-reproductive age, but there are some things to consider. For example, men can have children at very advanced ages. Also, and this is particularly important, human infants are rather vulnerable. So ancestral parents and grandparents had to look after them. That generated selection pressure for survival at older ages. Not to mention, in tribal environments where polygamy is practiced, it is not uncommon for older men to have several younger wives. There are a few interesting things about evolution that are not so obvious. One is that a very small selection pressure can lead traits to evolve fast - e.g., in a few hundred years, not the millions of years that many think are necessary.

You might consider also reading:
http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0878933085

Edited by Skötkonung, 02 November 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#66 JLL

• Topic Starter
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

As I understand it, CML can be formed even without sugar or proteins just through lipid peroxidation. Which really puts a big question marks on these "we heated this beef steak in a ton of soybean oil and look how bad your CML levels are now" studies.

#67 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

nearly all [studies involving actual health and risk factor outcomes] "simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures." Eg, you'll note in my post above that I had actually quoted one such example (reference 5 in that post): "Thus, we conducted a randomized, crossover, intervention trial to clarify whether a habitual diet containing high-heat-treated foods, such as deep-fried potatoes, cookies, brown crusted bread, or fried meat, could promote risk factors of type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular diseases in healthy people." Similarly, (1) below (cited by Sillewater) and this and several other studies included in the CR Society posting I'd linked, just looked at the AGE content of the actual, self-selected diets of subjects.

Well... you cited such a study in one of your previous posts on the topic:
Single oral challenge by advanced glycation end products acutely impairs endothelial function in diabetic and nondiabetic subjects. (PMID 17496238).

Well, first, even that study did not use "analogues produced in a lab and fed in isolation (Like most AGE studies I've read?)", as you'd suggested in the post to which I was responding, but caramelized sugar created by conventional cooking. But yes, I do agree that this was a rather artificial study. I didn't say that there were no such studies -- just that "nearly all such studies "simply generate high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures." "

Regarding the heat treated foods you mentioned, allow me to bold the key words here: "high-heat-treated foods, such as deep-fried potatoes, cookies, brown crusted bread, or fried meat." We're supposedly looking at the relationship between AGE consumption and occurence of type 2 diabetes and CVD, yet how are we correcting for the inclusion of sugars, starches, and foods fried in seed-oils?

Once again: the way you " correct for the inclusion of sugars, starches, and foods fried in seed-oils" is "by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures." Thus, in the study under discussion, "Both diets were designed to contain comparable amounts of energy and nutrients (53% of energy from carbohydrates, 15% of energy from proteins, and 32% of energy from lipids)." Looking at their Table 1, the the STD (standard, high-AGE diet) contained more sat fat, less MUFA, and the same amount of n6 and n3 PUFA as the STMD (Steamed, low-AGE diet); then, "The STD was prepared by using conventional techniques such as grilling, frying, and roasting and contained industrial food known to be highly cooked.” Ie, the same meat, vegetables, or “starches,” but poached vs. roasting or frying, or baked at low vs. high temperatures; they even went so far as to use heat-extruded vs. steamed corn flakes, dry cookies vs. sponge cake, and well-baked bread with brown crust vs. "mildly baked bread.” Similarly, in (3) below, "Two study diets were designed to have similar content of calories, protein, carbohydrate, and fat but differ by ~5-fold in AGE content, based on CML content (4G9 mAb), by varying the cooking time and temperature;" again,in (2), "To vary the AGE content, foods, particularly meat, were exposed to different cooking methods. L[ow]-AGE subjects were instructed to boil, poach, stew or steam, avoid fried entrees, and reheat food indirectly using steam in a double boiler. H[igh]-AGE participants were instructed to roast, broil and oven fry foods as usual. " Whatever you think of the specific foods used falls out of it when you use the same foods but prepared to be high vs. low in dietary AGE. (It's also worth noting, IAC, that the largest sources of dietary AGE come from cooking meat, not foods we would agree are crappy like breads and sugary desserts, because of the fat and protein already in the stuff; even if you add no oil or butter to meat at all, lowering the temperature can substantially cut this back, but any meat is still vastly higher than any vegetable, bread, or even PUFA-fried potato chips or french fries(1)).

There are even significant holes in this study:
A diet based on high-heat-treated foods promotes risk factors for diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseases (PMID
20335546).

No luck in getting the full text version at this point, but I noticed something suspicious in the results section of the abstract:
"RESULTS: In comparison with the steamed diet, 1 mo of consuming the high-heat-treated diet induced significantly lower insulin sensitivity and plasma concentrations of long-chain n-3 (omega-3) fatty acids and vitamins C and E [-17% (P < 0.002), -13% (P < 0.0001), and -8% (P < 0.01), respectively]. However, concentrations of plasma cholesterol and triglycerides increased [+5% (P < 0.01) and +9% (P < 0.01), respectively]."

What is suspicious about this? Among other things, the decrease in plasma concentration of vitamin C and the increase in trigs. These are usually telltale signs of a diet rich in refined carbohydrates and sugars.

Low vitamin C results from high oxidative stress, and high TG results from insulin resistance, both of which extensive studies clearly show to be unduced by a high-AGE diet.

And here's another study that I found suspect:
Circulating Glycotoxins and Dietary Advanced Glycation Endproducts: Two Links to Inflammatory Response, Oxidative Stress, and Aging (PMID 17452738)

This study seemed initially promising because the researchers controlled for caloric intake: "The consumption of dietary AGEs, but not of calories, correlated independently with circulating AGEs (CML: r = 0.415, p =.0001 and MG: r = 0.282, p =.002) as well as with high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP) (r = 0.200, p =.042)."

However, some of the results appear to be based on unstable beta coefficients and related estimates. Take a look at Table 2, for example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....45629/table/T2/
[BIG SNIP!]

I don't think statistical slicing and dicing gets one very far, especially in light of clear results in so many models, and especially the very narrowly-controlled animal feeding studies.

But what is CML? It is carboxymethyl-lysine. And what kind of diet leads to particularly high serum CML levels? A vegetarian diet:
http://www.biomed.ca...3/krajcovic.htm

First, that's serum CML, not dietary CML, the latter of which is the subject at hand; and the determinants of high serum CML were not evaluated in that study, nor were the dietary AGE per se. Again: such issues are resolved by doing controlled, intervention-based studies, using "high- and low-AGE diets, generally by cooking the same foods (human diets or rodent lab chow) at different temperatures." And second, the subject at hand is (again) dietary AGE, not vegetarianism.

Anyways, my point here is that the studies linking exogenous AGEs to health problems aren't even close to damning.

Well, what can I say? I really think there's more than enough evidence to say that they are.

I don't see that it in any way impacts the current discussion: the fact that humans evolved to better exploit meat, and may have also been changed to adapt to nutritional changes resulting from cooking, doesn't tell you whether eating more or less of a given food or food prepared in one way or another is healthier for you.

Selective pressures among our ancestors were definitely reduced post-reproductive age, but there are some things to consider. For example, men can have children at very advanced ages. Also, and this is particularly important, human infants are rather vulnerable. So ancestral parents and grandparents had to look after them. That generated selection pressure for survival at older ages. Not to mention, in tribal environments where polygamy is practiced, it is not uncommon for older men to have several younger wives. There are a few interesting things about evolution that are not so obvious. One is that a very small selection pressure can lead traits to evolve fast - e.g., in a few hundred years, not the millions of years that many think are necessary.

But, granting all that, it still doesn't change what I said above ...

References

1: Uribarri J, Woodruff S, Goodman S, Cai W, Chen X, Pyzik R, Yong A, Striker GE,
Vlassara H. Advanced glycation end products in foods and a practical guide to
their reduction in the diet. J Am Diet Assoc. 2010 Jun;110(6):911-16.e12. PubMed
PMID: 20497781.

2: Uribarri J, Peppa M, Cai W, Goldberg T, Lu M, He C, Vlassara H. Restriction of
dietary glycotoxins reduces excessive advanced glycation end products in renal
failure patients. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003 Mar;14(3):728-31. PubMed PMID: 12595509.

3: Vlassara H, Cai W, Crandall J, Goldberg T, Oberstein R, Dardaine V, Peppa M,
Rayfield EJ. Inflammatory mediators are induced by dietary glycotoxins, a major
risk factor for diabetic angiopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Nov
26;99(24):15596-601. Epub 2002 Nov 12. Erratum in: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003
Jan 21;100(2):763.. PubMed PMID: 12429856; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC137762.

#68 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

Sous vide cooking of meat is looking better all the time. Add steamed vegetables/greens and the fat of your choice (for me extra virgin red palm oil, olive oil, or grass fed butter), and it seems like one can have your paleo and eat it too while minimizing AGEs.

Edited by stephen_b, 03 November 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#69 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Michael, can you please post a PDF version of the following study: A diet based on high-heat-treated foods promotes risk factors for diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseases. I would like to continue discussing this topic with you, but I need to read the papers you are referencing.

#70 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Also, on topic of butter, I thought this study was interesting (apologies if it has been mentioned before):
Determination of Nepsilon-(carboxymethyl)lysine in food systems by ultra performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. (PMID 18389168)

Highest levels of CML were determined in white bread crust (15.2 +/- 0.63 mmol/mol Lys), wholemeal bread crust (13.1 +/- 0.61 mmol/mol Lys) and evaporated full-fat milk (4.86 +/- 0.77 mmol/mol Lys). Lowest levels of CML were measured in raw minced beef beef (0.03 +/- 002 mmol/mol Lys), raw full-fat cow's milk (0.08 +/- 0.03 mmol/mol Lys) and pasteurized skimmed cow's milk (0.09 +/- 0.002 mmol/mol Lys). CML could not be detected in olive oil.

Whole milk was found to have roughly 40% more CML than butter, which makes sense given the lack of proteins and sugar in butter (precursors to AGEs). These findings of course make one question the studies using calculated CML values based on immunoassays.

#71 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

P.S. So is the immunoassay detecting pyrraline in butter?

Let's be clear...

The authors who composed these databases quantified CML with an immunoassay. This means that they took an antibody that is supposedly specific for CML and quantified how much was in different foods by the relative amount of antibody-binding that occurred. That's why you see the values reported in arbitrary "AGE units" instead of real units like "milligrams."

There are a lot of problems with immunoassays. Antibodies sometimes have spectacular specificitiy, but often have abysmal specificity. We make a lot of antibodies in our intestines that are "polyreactive" to many different things so they can bind up bits of undigested food and other nasties. In the lab, we try to make really specific antibodies, but it is often difficult. In the case of AGEs, it's extremely difficult because AGEs can form on virtually any protein. Some proteins may get modified with very many AGEs and others with very few. Some proteins may be very big, some very small. There is no one, specific shape of an AGE-modified protein and it is therefore impossible to make a highly specific, perfect antibody that precisely quantifies AGEs in foods.

http://blog.choleste...gh-in-ages.html

#72 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Intake of Advanced Glycation Endproducts: Role in the Development of Diabetic Complications Helen Vlassara and Gary E. Striker

This is a very good review of the current research regarding dAGE and humans.

Here are some interesting studies:

Formation of Nε-(Carboxymethyl)lysine and Loss of Lysine in Casein Glucose−Fatty Acid Model Systems
This study used the loss of lysine as a marker for formation of CML (instead of using immunoassay), however it really has nothing to do with butter (because butter has the protein removed), but it does show that cooking with PUFA oils are bad (take a look at Figure 3).

Effect of Inhibitor Compounds on Nε-(Carboxymethyl)lysine (CML) and Nε-(Carboxyethyl)lysine (CEL) Formation in Model Foods
Here is another study that shows how baking with oils is a bad idea (could possibly produce 23 times more CML/CEL because of the PUFA oils). What the study does show is that margarine (because of its refinement) produces less (but it could also be because of the extra nutrients added).

Overall looking at the nutrient profile of butter:
100g of butter has
3.0g of PUFA
0.8g of Protein

I am not too worried about butter having AGEs.

Also considering all that I have read and what MR has written up above it seems prudent to keep dAGE intake on the lower side. As shown in a chart from the review I posted at the beginning:

Table 20.1 Thermally modulated AGE content in common foods
Beef: broiled

BOILED

Chicken: broiled

BOILED

Salmon: broiled

RAW

Potato: fried

BOILED

Even if you boil meat, the AGE content is still very high. While a weak argument can be made that we do not absorb dAGEs that much, or that we should have mechanisms to compensate, I would rather live on the side of caution.

Since learning about AGEs I have lowered my meat intake considerably. But I will be adding butter back to my diet.

Edit: Also just because MIGHT possibly excrete most of it doesn't mean it doesn't do damage while it is circulating in the blood. We excrete excess Vitamin B's but that doesn't mean we can consume excess without risk.

Edited by Sillewater, 06 November 2010 - 09:51 PM.

• like x 1

#73 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

Also forgot to mention that I marinate all my meat in white vinegar (decrease AGE formation ~50%).

#74 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

Edit: Also just because MIGHT possibly excrete most of it doesn't mean it doesn't do damage while it is circulating in the blood. We excrete excess Vitamin B's but that doesn't mean we can consume excess without risk.

Yeah, I don't think I will be following the same plan of action. The body seems easily able excrete most of these substances..

"Using such methodology, we have evaluated the bioavailability, kinetics, and renal elimination of food-derived chemically, and immunologically reactive AGE substances in both healthy and diabetic patients, with and without impaired renal function. The evidence points to a markedly impaired renal elimination system for food-derived AGEs in diabetics with renal disease, raising concerns about an added risk in this population."
"Consistent with previous reports, however, (mt)70% of the ingested advanced glycation products escape absorption, probably due to the documented resistance of AGE crosslinks to enzymatic or acid hydrolysis in the digestive tract (11, 13). Only one-third of the absorbed AGEs appearing in the serum was detected over the ensuing 48 hr in the urine, the fate of the other two-thirds remaining undetermined (11, 13)."

And these statements were based on methods (immunoassays) of quantifying dietary AGEs that characteristically over-report / misreport the AGE content of foods. It makes one wonder how they can draw correlations with lifestyle diseases based on faulty data, especially without correcting for acrylamides, heterocyclic amines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, oxidized PUFA, etc. Sure, there are some good reasons to avoid fried, burnt, or charred foods... but I don't think exogenous AGEs present well amongst them. And mice studies, diabetics, blatant statistical weakness... come on...

Also forgot to mention that I marinate all my meat in white vinegar (decrease AGE formation ~50%).

So you like contributing to the acrylamide formation in your food?

Edited by Skötkonung, 07 November 2010 - 07:31 AM.

• like x 1

#75 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Why does vinegar promote acrylamide formation?

#76 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

Why does vinegar promote acrylamide formation?

Actually I misread the abstract when I was writing that statement. One study I found noted above average acrylamide formation in pickled foods. Naturally I assumed that vinegar was involved, being that is a pickling agent. However, upon further investigation, vinegar seems to reduce acrylamide formation by reducing the ph.

"We found that soaking the potatoes in 1:3 vinegar:water reduced the acrylamide forming potential by 75%. No greater effect was seen when the wash solution contained higher vinegar levels (1:1 vinegar:water)."
Effects of Consumer Food Preparation on Acrylamide Formation (PMID 16438318)

Not sure if that pertains to meat products as the study was only done on carbohydrates.

Apparently acrylamide forms in pickled foods because herbicides, such as glyphosate (Roundup). Heat and light can decompose polyacrylamide, the thickening agent used in commercial herbicides, into acrylamide.
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/acrylamide.php

This of course has nothing to do with vinegar.

Edited by Skötkonung, 09 November 2010 - 01:49 AM.

• like x 1

#77 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

[1] Diabetes Technol Ther. 2008 Jun;10(3):200-5.Skin autofluorescence increases postprandially in human subjects.Stirban A, Nandrean S, Negrean M, Koschinsky T, Tschoepe D.

Here they use autofluorescence and detect that if humans (healthy and T2D) consume AGE-laden foods, glycation products increase in the skin.

Also here's some more papers looking the the effects of dAGEs (dietary AGEs).

[2] Eur J Nutr. 2010 Oct;49(7):429-34. Epub 2010 Mar 13.Association of dietary AGEs with circulating AGEs, glycated LDL, IL-1α and MCP-1 levels in type 2 diabetic patients.Chao PC, Huang CN, Hsu CC, Yin MC, Guo YR.

[3] Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 May;85(5):1236-43.Effects of low- and high-advanced glycation endproduct meals on macro- and microvascular endothelial function and oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Negrean M, Stirban A, Stratmann B, Gawlowski T, Horstmann T, Götting C, Kleesiek K, Mueller-Roesel M, Koschinsky T, Uribarri J, Vlassara H, Tschoepe D.
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users