- - - - -

N-Acetylglucosamine and dietary lectin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

Titre du document / Document title
Oral N-acetylglucosamine supplementation improves skin conditions of female volunteers: Clinical evaluation by a microscopic three-dimensional skin surface analyzer
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
KIKUCHI Kazuaki ; MATAHIRA Yoshiharu ;
Résumé / Abstract
Within the skin tissues, acidic mucopolysaccharides such as hyaluronic acid are present in the corium layer and play a large part in water retention and skin resilience. Hyaluronic acid is a polymer composed of dimers containing N-acetylglucosamine and glucuronic acid. Although applications of the use of hyaluronic acid in cosmeceutical food have been reported, the beauty efficacy of orallyingested hyaluronic acid cannot be predicted adequately because little is known about its digestion and absorption in humans. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of long-term oral N-acetylglucosamine supplementation on skin conditions in females who have a common tendency of xeroderma and rough skin. The subjects (average age: 25.5 ′ 10.7) were assigned randomly and double-blind to either a N-acetylglucosamine group (n=11) or a placebo group (n=11), and ingested a daily 1000-mg dose of N-acetylglucosamine or lactose, respectively, for 60 days. Dermatological examination by doctors suggested that N-acetylglucosamine supplementation favorably affects skin conditions; that is, improvements were observed in the desiccation of facial and whole body skin. After N-acetylglucosamine supplementation for 60 days, the moisture content of the region below the left eye was increased significantly; conversely, a significant decrease in the oil and fat content was observed. In addition, clinical evaluation by a microscopic three-dimensional skin surface analyzer confirmed that oral N-acetylglucosamine supplementation is useful for mitigating the roughness of the skin and the epidermolysis of the corneum. These results indicate that oral N-acetylglucosamine supplementation may be of benefit in enhancing skin hydration. By contrast, no significant improvement was observed in the skin condition of the placebo group, as appraised by either dermatological examination or digital analysis. The beautification effect produced by ingestion of N-acetylglucosamine indicates that this compound may be a potential ingredient for cosmeceutical foodstuffs.
Revue / Journal Title
Journal of applied cosmetology ISSN 0392-8543
Source / Source
2002, vol. 20, no2, pp. 143-152 [10 page(s) (article)]
Langue / Language
Anglais

Editeur / Publisher
International Ediemme, Roma, ITALIE (1983) (Revue)

Localisation / Location
INIST-CNRS, Cote INIST : 20296, 35400010188853.0030

Synergistic Effect of N-Acetylglucosamine and Retinoids on Hyaluronan Production in Human Keratinocytes
T. Sayo, S. Sakai, S. Inoue

Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Ltd., Odawara, Japan
Abstract Hyaluronan (HA) is well known to reside in the extracellular matrix as a water-sorbed macromolecule. The aims of this study were twofold: to investigate the regulation of HA synthesis in keratinocytes, and to develop a method to modulate this regulatory process. We found that N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) increased the production of HA by cultured keratinocytes dose dependently, but had no effect on the production by skin fibroblasts. The effect of NAG in keratinocytes was found to be specific for HA production, as there was no change in sulfated glycosaminoglycan formation. The copresence of NAG with either of two retinoids, retinoic acid (RA) or retinol, exerted a synergistic effect on HA production. To investigate whether human HA synthase (HAS) genes were regulated by NAG or retinoids, total RNA extracted from cells treated with these agents was subjected to Northern blot analysis. We observed that RA and retinol markedly induced the expression of HA synthase-3 (HAS3) mRNA. Moreover, Posted Image-carotene, a provitamin A, influenced HA production and HAS3 gene expression in a manner similar to the retinoids. Conversely, NAG had no effect on the expression of HAS3 transcripts. Pretreatment of cells with RA stimulated the activity of membrane-associated HAS, whereas pretreatment with NAG did not. These results suggest that HA production is regulated by at least two pathways: one involving the regulation of HAS gene expression, and the other independent of such a regulatory effect. Taken together, our findings suggest that NAG is a new modulator of HA synthesis.

Copyright © 2004 S. Karger AG, Basel

Another study by procter&gamble showing topical moisturizer containing 2% N-acetylglucosamine and 4% niacinamide increasing hyaluronan by up to 30%.

http://www.pgdermato...uronic-Acid.pdf

In addition, it's well known that N-acetylglucosamine binds strongly with lectin and synthesized endogenously by goblet cells in the gut. Possibly to protect the body against dietary lectin.

An interesting but not very well-known supplement, it usually only comes up as an alternative to glucosamine in the treatment of osteoarthritis.

#2 Saber

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

Another note, hyaluronic acid/hyaluronan is a polymer composed of d-glucuronic acid and N-acetylglucosamine.
Theoretically, N-acetylglucosamine should increase endogenous production of hyaluronic acid. But it's usually gobble up very fast with dietary lectin if taken with a meal, which may be a good thing depending on what you're aiming for.

It seems to be promising if it could indeed mitigate damage caused by dietary lectin.

Edited by Saber, 27 October 2009 - 10:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:38 AM

I wrote a thread recently about how to increase HA production.. I added NAG as a result and been using 750 mg fasted each day for a few weeks now. The study you posted said results were dose dependent. I could not find any specifics on dose so I started small. NAC seems to be the limiting factor in HA production so I might increase the dosage eventually. In addition to NAG, I also added HA itself and a horse chestnut (900 mg), a hyaluronidase inhibitor.

Glad to see HA getting more attention.

#4 Saber

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:34 AM

I wrote a thread recently about how to increase HA production.. I added NAG as a result and been using 750 mg fasted each day for a few weeks now. The study you posted said results were dose dependent. I could not find any specifics on dose so I started small. NAC seems to be the limiting factor in HA production so I might increase the dosage eventually. In addition to NAG, I also added HA itself and a horse chestnut (900 mg), a hyaluronidase inhibitor.

Glad to see HA getting more attention.

Have you found anything regarding the safety of hyaluronidase inhibitors? It seems much safer to encourage higher production of hyaluronic acid than inhibit its breakdown since hyaluronic acid does change its property as it degrade and decrease in size.
I am also taking hyaluronic acid as well but have not noticed any difference after going through a bottle and there is little evidence demonstrating the efficacy of oral hyaluronic acid, but better results could probably be achieved if the cost wasn't so expensive to bar from megadosing.

Do keep us updated if you happen to notice any difference from NAG. I will be adding it to my stack soon.

Edited by Saber, 28 October 2009 - 02:35 AM.

#5 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying take NAG w/ lectin or w/out?

#6 Saber

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

My fault, I wasn't very clear on that in the post. NAG possess an affinity for dietary lectin and is used by some people to treat leaky gut syndrome.

I take it immediately before a nasty lectin-loaded meal such as peanut butter and dairy.
Some bacterias in our gut also have the ability to use NAG as nutrient which could help reestablish a healthy gut flora.

Of course, I'm also hoping it will relieve my tendinosis along with other anti-inflammatory supp., but that's hoping too much.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

My fault, I wasn't very clear on that in the post. NAG possess an affinity for dietary lectin and is used by some people to treat leaky gut syndrome.

I take it immediately before a nasty lectin-loaded meal such as peanut butter and dairy.
Some bacterias in our gut also have the ability to use NAG as nutrient which could help reestablish a healthy gut flora.

Of course, I'm also hoping it will relieve my tendinosis along with other anti-inflammatory supp., but that's hoping too much.

Thank you for this info. I was so impressed that I researched it and just placed an order thru Vitacost.
I suffer from loads of inflammation to the point that I'm afraid my liver will be harmed by all the ibuprofen and tylenol that I have to eat.

I can't eat peanut butter without having an inflammation flare up. But I thought it was being
caused by the high amt of Omega 6 oil.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users