Photo

L-Theanine; suntheanine is not better! Purebulk comment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:36 AM

Hey guys + girls.

I read, from some members on this site and elsewhere, that Japanese manufactured Suntheanine was the best product to buy because only it contained purely the L-isomer of theanine, without any of the D-isomer as would some Chinese manufactured "L-theanine".

I haven't gone very far with researching theanine at this point because it's a new interest of mine but I have never bumped into any actual studies relevant to this issue. I figured that it was suntheanine propaganda, or that perhaps, it was outdated/ not fully accurate. IE. maybe some manufactured L-theanine was falsely advertised as such and manufactured at 50% D-Theanine.

I started buying some products from purebulk.com recently and that website sells L-Theanine in bulk, which I am also interested in purchasing. I was hesitating purchasing it because of what I had heard about the impurity of Chinese manufactured product, so I decided to contact the customer service of the site, Timothy McNulty.
Keep in mind I know nothing about how to read COA's or anything like that. I asked Timothy about his opinion on the issue. Below is our correspondence.
[in summary, purebulk has the L-isomer in bulk, and it is not a racemic mixture.].::
------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Timothy McNulty @ Purebulk

Hi Timothy, thank you for the information.
I have another question for you.
I'm considering buying a bulk amount of L-theanine off of your site.
However I'm aware that this product is from China and that generally they use a racemic mixture that consists of the D and L isomers of theanine.
I haven't seen any actual proof or scientific reports of this as of yet, but have heard that with the D-isomer being 50% of the product that, it could cause side effects and that its effects are largely unknown and unstudied. I've been recommended a "suntheanine" which is the pure L isomer without any D isomer in the product. I'm wondering your opinion on this or if you have any knowledge on this. Your price is way good and I really don't want to go out of my way to get this 'suntheanine' if your product is proven to be 100% of the L-isomer.
I'll let you know if I run into any information with actual scientific reports to back it up. I'm also considering comparing your product first-hand with another product by seeing if there's any comparison in effects.

---

To: Me

Protoject,

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same questions about racemic L-Theanine that arise from the Suntheanine propaganda machine. While it is true that some Theanine manufactured prior to 2003 was racemic, I haven't seen any racemic since about 2004. If it does exist, you'd have to hunt long and hard to find it.

Here's how you tell if a given Theanine is L-Theanine or DL-Theanine... Take a look at the COA. Check to make sure that the specific rotation is listed in the testing results. If the results range between +7.5° and +8.5° then its L-Theanine. Racemic (DL) theanine would have a specific rotation of around 0°.

Thanks,

Timothy McNulty
PureBulk Nutrition
PO Box 303
Myrtle Point, OR 97458

Land-line: 541-572-2393
Fax: 213-226-4677
email: timothy@purebulk.com
----------------------------------------

Maybe you guys already knew that but for anyone who didn't know that about the Rotation, there ya go.

Edited by protoject, 14 November 2009 - 05:38 AM.

#2 Nootr

• 180 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Where can I buy bulk l-theanine except purebulk.com, cerebralhealth and beyondacentury? I would like to buy also noopept. Are there any other sites which sell both of them or one of them in bulk?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

I can attest to the quality fo the L-Theanine from purebulk. It's very good. Also, what Timothy states is true: you can easily tell the percent of L-Theanine from the COA. "suntheanine" has nothing on purebulks L-Theanine. If its all pure uncontaminated L-Theanine, then its all the same.

#4 pinnacle

• 62 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

I thought I would share this bulk L-Theanine powder from NutraBio, looks very legit. Pharmaceutical grade, HPLC verified. I'll order some and post back if anyone's interested. I've generally used Suntheanine in the past, but I'm always keen to try a quality, equally-effective product which will go a bit further.

http://www.nutrabio....duct_Code=24511

#5 Memma Almond

• 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

Despite my disdain for powders in general, I recently bought L-Theanine from Powder City. Though the site provides an online copy of their COA, the details per protoject are lacking. Does anyone have real knowledge about the quality of the Powder City L-Theanine?

Edited by Memma Almond, 22 December 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

I usually buy from BulkSupplements which has a good rep on Labdoor. How do I find the COA on that site for their L-Theanine?

I've been buying Sports Research brand of Suntheanine and had the same concerns.

#7 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

Managed to get the COA from BulkSupplements, they're just as good.

Attached Files

#8 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

I usually buy from BulkSupplements which has a good rep on Labdoor. How do I find the COA on that site for their L-Theanine?

I've been buying Sports Research brand of Suntheanine and had the same concerns.

What did you not like about Suntheanine from Sports Research, I liked literally just ordered two bottles from them, it seems like a really good company. If I have success with Theanine I will look to buy it in powder. 

#9 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

What did you not like about Suntheanine from Sports Research, I liked literally just ordered two bottles from them, it seems like a really good company. If I have success with Theanine I will look to buy it in powder. 

The price. Turns out most brands of L-Theanine are the effective kind. BulkSupplements is a good source, I bought a huge amount and it'll last all year saving hundreds.

#10 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

The price. Turns out most brands of L-Theanine are the effective kind. BulkSupplements is a good source, I bought a huge amount and it'll last all year saving hundreds.

Oh, i'll test both out. Some brands of l-theanine come with d-theanine I guess.

#11 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

http://www.nutraingr...with-absorption

Ism't the fear that some products of l-theanine are not pure and have d-theanine in them?

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 11 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#12 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

Oh, i'll test both out. Some brands of l-theanine come with d-theanine I guess.

No not anymore. That was years ago. They're all strictly L-Theanine now.  All have just L-theanine so far as I know. Just make sure they're a good rep on Labdoor or are USP certified or have that other certification. If you're in the US just go with BulkSupplements. Saves money and they're reputable.

Edited by Nate-2004, 11 May 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#13 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

No not anymore. That was years ago. They're all strictly L-Theanine now.  All have just L-theanine so far as I know. Just make sure they're a good rep on Labdoor or are USP certified or have that other certification. If you're in the US just go with BulkSupplements. Saves money and they're reputable.

Oh okay, interesting. Thanks.

#14 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

So 500 grams of l-theanine from bulk supplements would be equal to 500,000 mg at a dose of 200 mg per day would last 2,500 days?!?! At a price of $41.96 versus a bottle of Suntheanine from Sports Research of 60 pills at 200 mg for about $17 I think, that is a crazy difference. 

#15 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yep it's nuts. I take at least 800mg a day throughout the day. So not quite that long.  It doesn't stay in the system long.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#16 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

How does mine stack up?

https://ca.iherb.com...ggie-Caps/12959

I wish I've seen this thread before buying it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users