Photo
- - - - -

High-dose Folic Acid and B12 May Hike Cancer Risk

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

High-dose folic acid and vitamin B12 supplements were associated with an increased incidence of cancer -- particularly lung cancer -- in a post-hoc analysis of two Norwegian trials.

However, other researchers cautioned that the results should not turn women away from normal folic acid supplements that can help prevent birth defects.

Among study participants who received folic acid plus vitamin B12, some 341 (10%) developed cancer compared with 288 (8.4%) of those who did not receive the two vitamins (HR 1.21, 95% CI 1.03 to 1.41, P=0.02), according to Marta Ebbing, MD, of Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen, and colleagues.

In the folic acid group, there were 56 cases of lung cancer compared with 36 cases in those who didn't get the supplements (HR 1.59, 99% CI 0.92 to 2.75), the researchers reported in the Nov. 18 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

"This is yet another study showing that there may be harms in taking high-dose nutritional supplements," said Tim Byers, MD, of the University of Colorado Cancer Center in Denver, who was not involved in the study.

"Effects of essential nutrients at dietary levels seem to be different from those at pill levels," said Byers, who has conducted epidemiologic and clinical studies of nutrients for protection against cancer.

Since 1998, the U.S. and many other countries (but not Norway), have mandated folic acid supplementation of grain products to reduce the incidence of neural tube birth defects.

The Norwegian trials originally sought to determine if homocysteine-lowering treatment with folic acid and vitamin B12 could protect against cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in high-risk patients, but found no benefit.

More recently, concerns have arisen about a potential increased risk of cancer associated with folic acid. Since the Norwegian population had relatively little environmental exposure to these vitamins, Ebbing and colleagues analyzed data from the 6,837 participants to explore the possible link.

Participants in the trials were randomized to one of four regimens: folic acid plus vitamins B12 and B6, folic acid plus vitamin B12, vitamin B6 alone, or placebo.

Folic acid was given in doses of 0.8 mg/day, while vitamin B12 was given in doses of 0.4 mg/day.

Participants' mean age was 62.3 years, and 23.5% were women.

At baseline, 38% of participants in the folic acid groups were current smokers, compared with 41% in the non-folic acid groups (P=0.01).

A total of 629 subjects were diagnosed with new cancers during a median of 39 months in the trials and during an additional 38 months of an observational follow-up period.

Overall, there were 1,021 deaths, with 23.1% being caused by cancer and 31.8% of the cancer deaths being attributed to lung cancer.

Among those who received folic acid and vitamin B12, 136 (4%) died from cancer compared to 100 (2.9%) of those who did not receive the vitamins (HR 1.38, 95% CI 1.07 to 1.79, P=0.01).

A total of 548 participants (16.1%) who received folic acid and vitamin B12 died from any cause, compared with 473 (13.8%) of those who did not receive the vitamins (HR 1.18, 95% CI 1.04 to 1.33, P=0.01).

Of all cases of lung cancer, 64 (69.6%) were in current smokers, 22 (23.9%) were in former smokers, and six (6.5%) were in patients who had never smoked.

More detail on participants' smoking histories would have been helpful, according to Susan T. Mayne, PhD, of Yale School of Public Health in New Haven.

"The paper did not adequately assess this, only looking at crude categories such as ever, never, current smokers," she said.

Mayne also pointed out that the Norwegian researchers used a biomarker that reflects recent exposure to nicotine (cotinine), and this was slightly higher in the folic acid/vitamin B12 groups.

Baseline cotinine levels in current smokers were 27.1 μg/L and 27.6 μg/L in the two folic acid/vitamin B12 groups and 25.7 μg/L and 25.5 μg/L in the non-folate groups.

"So, it is conceivable that, by chance, these two groups had longer duration smokers with greater smoking intensity (greater pack-years of exposure to tobacco)," she said.

Mayne also noted that a study designed specifically to investigate cancer outcomes would likely have focused more closely on tobacco exposure. The study authors themselves acknowledged that their lack of information on family history of cancer and environmental exposure was a limitation.

Mayne also noted that folic acid was never given alone, but always with vitamin B12, and in doses that were two times the U.S. recommended daily allowance. "In contrast, the dose of vitamin B12 was much higher," she said.

The current recommended daily allowance for vitamin B12 in the U.S. is 2.4 μg/day.

"In this study, the daily dose that was given was 400 μg ... so it is really illogical to try to 'blame' the folic acid for the effects observed, when in fact the result could well reflect the high dose of B12 given," she said.

The bottom line for patients, according to Mayne, is that high-dose supplements should not be used for chronic disease prevention.

But the findings do not imply that folic acid is always harmful. "Folic acid clearly reduces risk for birth defects," said Byers.

"Among younger, fertile women, the risk of fueling an occult neoplasm is low in comparison to that benefit," he added.

In an editorial that accompanied the Norwegian study, Bettina F. Drake, PhD, and Graham A. Colditz, MD, of Washington University in St. Louis, agreed saying that the short-term data presented by Ebbing and colleagues "do not nullify the potential long-term benefits that folic acid fortification may have on population health."

Rather, "cessation of cigarette smoking and prevention of smoking in youth and adolescents remains the highest priority for cancer prevention," Drake and Colditz wrote.
  • dislike x 1

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

Please always link to the original source and try to include the primary source(s). http://www.medpageto...ntiveCare/17072
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Aphrodite

• Guest, F@H
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

To watch the video of Dr. Sanjay Gupta discussing the recent studies, please click the link.

http://www.cnn.com/v...acid.cancer.cnn

Also, an article published over at ScienceDaily (Nov. 18, 2009) states that ""Experimental evidence suggests that folate deficiency may promote initial stages of carcinogenesis, whereas high doses of folic acid may enhance growth of cancer cells."

http://www.scienceda...91117161013.htm

I also recall reading a post on imminst regarding thiamine/benfotiamine and increased cancer risk.

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=26175

I am currently taking 5 mg. (500 mcg.) of sublingual methylcobalamin daily--I might cut that down to 1 mg. daily.

Edited by Aphrodite, 18 November 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#4 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

I am currently taking 5 mg. (500 mcg.) of sublingual methylcobalamin daily--I might cut that down to 1 mg. daily.

Which is irrelevant since b12 is not involved, I'd say. Furthermore, the science daily statement is pretty vacuous; I mean "Oh, really?" The pertinent question is not if someone will benefit, but who? The former is irrelevant if we don't know the latter or if the majority simply won't benefit (which may be the case). A recent review (eh, abstract) which I haven't read yet, argued (modelled?) that only those younger than 20 years will benefit from folic acid. Pretty unfortunate...

Considering the evidence, their statement is not merely vacuous, it's possibly misleading and dangerous.

Another one I've yet to read. Seems some people thought they'd do a timely meta-analysis:

Colorectal Dis. 2009 Oct 27. [Epub ahead of print]
Folic Acid Supplementation and Colorectal Cancer Risk; A Meta-analysis.
Fife J, Raniga S, Hider PN, Frizelle FA.
"... those who received folate for over three years the risk of an adenomatous lesion was increased (OR=1.35, 1.06-1.70). The risk associated with treatment was highest for the occurrence of an advanced lesion (1.50, 1.06 - 2.10)..."

We'd need to see damn strong evidence to reconsider this position.

EDIT:
i.e. I think you may be misreading the study. Apparently the B6-only group was awlays compared to B12+folic acid groups, so we can't know from this study. However, b12 was never associated with cancer in other studies and such an effect is not plausible. Hence it's not the B12 you have to drop due to cancer risks.

Edited by kismet, 18 November 2009 - 07:53 PM.

• like x 2

#5 amere

• 42 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

Is there any reason to believe methylfolate or folinate do not share this problem?

#6 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

Is there any reason to believe methylfolate or folinate do not share this problem?

It's my understanding that it doesn't, but I don't know the details.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

5mg is 5000 mcg, not 500. That's a lot.

#8 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

i guess the biggest question that i have is: should the hike in cancer risk be something of worry for those supplementing maybe only one of the options, too?

i remember reading somewhere that you can start tinkering the wrong way if you're taking in like 800mcg+ (well, it was either that or a full 1mg, too long ago). besides, aren't most grain products folic-acid enriched anyway?

#9 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:12 AM

i guess the biggest question that i have is: should the hike in cancer risk be something of worry for those supplementing maybe only one of the options, too? Folic acid and it's certainly worth repeating... I just noticed the title and it's just plain misleading -- darned pop press. Vitamin B12 was simply included in the same pill as folic acid (guilty by association?), but all prior evidence suggests that only folic acid is to blame.
Read the cassandra-esque
warnings, see the meta-analysis I've included, etc Not that there *is* any reason to megadose vitamin B12 for most people...

i remember reading somewhere that you can start tinkering the wrong way if you're taking in like 800mcg+ (well, it was either that or a full 1mg, too long ago). Which is wrong (we don't know the dose for sure). But I don't see much of a reason to assume anything but a linear dose-response relationship (to be safe & as a first approximation at least). besides, aren't most grain products folic-acid enriched anyway? Yes, which is not necessarily a good thing. Optimised and healthy diets are very high in folic acid w/o fortification.

Edited by kismet, 19 November 2009 - 01:15 AM.

#10 wolfeye

• 124 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Here is the study

Cancer Incidence and Mortality After Treatment With Folic Acid and Vitamin B12

Context Recently, concern has been raised about the safety of folic acid, particularly in relation to cancer risk.

Objective To evaluate effects of treatment with B vitamins on cancer outcomes and all-cause mortality in 2 randomized controlled trials.

Design, Setting, and Participants Combined analysis and extended follow-up of participants from 2 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials (Norwegian Vitamin Trial and Western Norway B Vitamin Intervention Trial). A total of 6837 patients with ischemic heart disease were treated with B vitamins or placebo between 1998 and 2005, and were followed up through December 31, 2007.

Interventions Oral treatment with folic acid (0.8 mg/d) plus vitamin B12 (0.4 mg/d) and vitamin B6 (40 mg/d) (n = 1708); folic acid (0.8 mg/d) plus vitamin B12 (0.4 mg/d) (n = 1703); vitamin B6 alone (40 mg/d) (n = 1705); or placebo (n = 1721).

Main Outcome Measures Cancer incidence, cancer mortality, and all-cause mortality.

Results During study treatment, median serum folate concentration increased more than 6-fold among participants given folic acid. After a median 39 months of treatment and an additional 38 months of posttrial observational follow-up, 341 participants (10.0%) who received folic acid plus vitamin B12 vs 288 participants (8.4%) who did not receive such treatment were diagnosed with cancer (hazard ratio  , 1.21; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.03-1.41; P = .02). A total of 136 (4.0%) who received folic acid plus vitamin B12 vs 100 (2.9%) who did not receive such treatment died from cancer (HR, 1.38; 95% CI, 1.07-1.79; P = .01). A total of 548 patients (16.1%) who received folic acid plus vitamin B12 vs 473 (13.8%) who did not receive such treatment died from any cause (HR, 1.18; 95% CI, 1.04-1.33; P = .01). Results were mainly driven by increased lung cancer incidence in participants who received folic acid plus vitamin B12. Vitamin B6 treatment was not associated with any significant effects.

Conclusion Treatment with folic acid plus vitamin B12 was associated with increased cancer outcomes and all-cause mortality in patients with ischemic heart disease in Norway, where there is no folic acid fortification of foods.

http://jama.ama-assn...ourcetype=HWCIT

#11 mwestbro

• 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

The editorial in the same issue is also of interest. Here is a quote from the last few paragraphs:

What do the results of the study by Ebbing et al11 mean for population health and for clinicians? The results indicate an excess of approximately 3.5 new cases of cancer per 1000 per year and 1 excess case of lung cancer per 1000 per year. The excess deaths correspond to 1.7 cancer deaths per 1000 per year. These numbers, if generalizable to the United States, would be substantial at the overall level of total cancer incidence and mortality. Moreover, given the changes in blood levels of folic acid in the United States, an increase in lung cancer incidence would be expected. However, rates for total cancer incidence decreased significantly from 2001 to 2005,16 and lung cancer incidence has also declined significantly in men over almost 2 decades and among women from the late 1990s.16 These national incidence rates do not support a substantial, population-wide adverse effect of the magnitude suggested in the study by Ebbing et al.

Preventive interventions require long-term evaluation. While the report by Ebbing et al provides important short-term data, the findings do not nullify the potential long-term benefits that folic acid fortification may have on population health. The time frame for benefit for some preventive interventions may span decades,17 although smoking cessation may be unique among lifestyle changes that produce a rapid reduction in cancer risk.18

Assessing Cancer Prevention Studies—A Matter of Time
Bettina F. Drake, PhD, MPH; Graham A. Colditz, MD, DrPH

JAMA. 2009;302(19):2152-2153.

#12 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Can you send me any of the JAMA articles? I don't like their rationalisations at all; ecological data is extremely tricky to deal with (declining cancer rates are not everything and there was some disagreement when it comes to colorectal cancer incidence, wasn't there?) We must keep in mind that there are no health benefits of folic acid (fortification or supplementation) for non-malnourished people... if the population at large is deficient they may benefit, but we won't.

Edited by kismet, 19 November 2009 - 04:17 PM.

#13 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Natural Products Association Spokesperson Challenges Findings of JAMA Study on H

"This is an analysis of two studies -- the NORVIT [the Norwegian vitamin trial, a 2005 randomized trial of homocysteine-lowering with B-vitamins for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease after acute myocardial infarction] and WENBIT [Western Norway B-vitamin intervention trial presented at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2007]," said Fabricant.

"Despite the authors' justification for the analysis, previous review has indicated the NORVIT might not have been adequately powered and the factorial design might have been too complex, thus rendering the trial incapable of isolating the effect of folate per se. Being combined with the WENBIT, which was terminated early, and which wasn't without its design flaws, either, creates a scenario in which two flawed studies are combined to yield one larger flawed study. This does not seem to be in the best interest of medical science or public health."

Fabricant also states that most of the subjects in both trials were also being treated with beta-blockers, and statins, and some were also being treated with ACE inhibitors and diuretics, "yet there are no numbers, no analysis on the effects these interventions may have on the incidence of cancer. There is no adjustment of the baseline effect for these interventions, yet the authors adjusted the baseline for smoking, age and sex, which are all factors in the development of cancer. We have no way of determining these factors' impact on this study as they just decided to leave that out, like ordering off of an a la carte menu, "said Fabricant. (Daniel Fabricant, Ph.D.)

#14 meat250

• 66 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

the take home message......DONT SMOKE

#15 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

Do you care to elaborate? Otherwise this is pretty much a non sequitur.

#16 meat250

• 66 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Do you care to elaborate? Otherwise this is pretty much a non sequitur.

Vit. A in smokers also causes cancer

This says it all which is if you smoke, you are screwed and anything can make it worse!

Quote:

Of all cases of lung cancer, 64 (69.6%) were in current smokers, 22 (23.9%) were in former smokers, and six (6.5%) were in patients who had never smoked

The FACT is that people NOT exposed to cigarette smoke and NOT exposed to RADON or ASBESTOS DO NOT EVER GET LUNG CANCER!
  • dislike x 1

#17 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Vit. A in smokers also causes cancer

This says it all which is if you smoke, you are screwed and anything can make it worse!

But most of the data is on non-lung cancer e.g. as per the studies I already posted. In fact most studies deal with colorectal and not lung cancer.

The FACT is that people NOT exposed to cigarette smoke and NOT exposed to RADON or ASBESTOS DO NOT EVER GET LUNG CANCER!

Your quote, however, does not back your statement: it's well established that non-smokers also get lung cancer, just at much lower rates.

Edited by kismet, 21 November 2009 - 01:12 PM.

• like x 1

#18 Snoopy

• 105 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

I think the issue is high folic acid intake not 'high B12'. B12 manages folic acid as I understand and your body manages B12 reserves well to supress the upper limit.

The question is what is the perfect folic acid RDA - there seems to be tonne of conflicting information on it......

#19 Matt79

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

Has there been any further thinking on the B12 cancer link since the study came out (3 years ago)?

Also I need to lower my homocysteine and wondering whether to supplement 1000mcg or 5000mcg. 5k 'seems' like a lot, but of course there are many factors like bioavailability etc. My default would be to err on the side of caution.

Edited by Matt79, 09 October 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#20 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

There are a few problems with that earlier study
http://jama.jamanetw...rticleid=184898
They used a synthetic folate vs a natural form ( 5-mthf ). And because they also included B12, and B6 it's hard to know which had a lesser or greater effect. They also picked a population that had possibly led folate deficient lives ( Norway ).
This study found no increased risk

http://www.mendeley....cer-prevention/

I would take the lower dose of sublingual methylcobalamin, and 1000 mcg of 5 Methylfolate. I lowered my homocysteine from 11 to around 7.
  • like x 1

#21 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

The study also failed to consider the MTHFR mutation status of the subjects which, in my opinion, could have a huge statistical impact. Well I am assuming that, as I cant see the actual paper.

In other words those with the C677T mutation do not process folic acid into 5-MTHF correctly (how bad depends on if they have one or two copies of the mutation). This will cause folic acid to accumulate inside of your body and folic acid itself has been implicated in its potential to fuel cancer.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 09 October 2012 - 04:30 PM.

• like x 1

#22 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

The study also failed to consider the MTHFR mutation status of the subjects which, in my opinion, could have a huge statistical impact. Well I am assuming that, as I cant see the actual paper.

In other words those with the C677T mutation do not process folic acid into 5-MTHF correctly (how bad depends on if they have one or two copies of the mutation). This will cause folic acid to accumulate inside of your body and folic acid itself has been implicated in its potential to fuel cancer.

I posted the JAMA study in my previous post.
  • like x 1

#23 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

that has been discussed here http://www.longecity...-the-negatives/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 osris

• 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 02:20 PM

"Folic Acid Does Not Cause Cancer. So Who Made the Mistake?"

by Andrew W. Saul

"Science is a great servant but a poor master. Not infrequently, it can exemplify what Harvard math professor Tom Lehrer satirized as where "the important thing is to understand what you're doing, rather than to get the right answer." Just because a published study suggests something does not make it true.

I never liked math very much, and I still don't. But I am indebted to dedicated math teachers who taught me in spite of myself. Decades ago, one such teacher gave me wise advice that spans all disciplines: "Look at your answer. Does your answer make sense?"

So when research suggests that the vitamin folic acid somehow causes lung or colon cancer, it is time to hit the books. It may even occasionally be necessary to hit them right out of the way, and use common sense instead.

Folate, once known as vitamin B-9, is named after the dark green leafy vegetables it was first extracted from. "Folium" is Latin for leaf. Leaves and greens are high in folate. Herbivorous animals get plenty of folate because they eat plenty of foliage. Carnivorous animals also get plenty of folate, because they consume herbivorous animals. In the wild, this means the entire animal, including its abdominal organs full of the prey's last meal of partially digested vegetation. Indeed, the viscera are typically the first thing a predator eats.

If folate caused cancer, the whole animal kingdom would have a lot of it. And while wild animals have their own problems, cancer is rarely one of them.

If you look at the research suggesting a human cancer connection (1,2), it does not say that folate in food causes cancer. The research only points to folic acid, as specifically as found in supplements, as the bogey man.

But there is virtually no difference whatsoever between the two forms of this nutrient. Folate and folic acid are different only in whether the carboxylic acid groups have dissociated or not. Folic acid's molecular formula is C19, H19, N7, O6. Folate is C19, H18, N7, O6. The difference? Folate has one less hydrogen cation (H+). A hydrogen cation is a proton. A single proton. I have never seen evidence that protons cause cancer.

If folate/folic acid somehow caused cancer, it would have to be the rest of the molecule that is the problem. But most research shows that folic acid/folate prevents cancer. It is well-known that persons eating plant-based diets have a significantly lower risk of cancer. In addition to providing nutrients, eating more vegetation means more fiber and less constipation, valuable for preventing colon cancer. Herbivorous animals are definitely not constipated. Ask any dairy farmer, and you can start with me: many years ago, I used to milk 120 cows twice daily. When you walk behind Bossy, look out.

As for lung cancer, the research accusing folic acid also happens to show that 94% of the study subjects who developed lung cancer were either current or former smokers. Smoking causes cancer. Animals do not smoke. But they do eat a lot of foliage, either by grazing on greens or gorging on guts.

Both studies claiming that folic acid causes cancer were published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, which also contains a large amount of pharmaceutical advertising. JAMA is among the journals that peer-reviewed research has shown to be biased against vitamins due to vested interests. (3)

What is more likely: that a small group of scientists made an error or two, or that all of Nature did? On this one, I am backing the animals. 1.8 million species can't be all wrong."

(Andrew W. Saul taught biology, nutrition, and health science at the college level. He is the author of Doctor Yourself and Fire Your Doctor! and, with Dr. Abram Hoffer, co-author of Orthomolecular Medicine for Everyone and The Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism. Saul is featured in the documentary film Food Matters. He is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine.)

References:

(1) Folic acid, B12 may increase cancer risk.
http://www.webmd.com...ase-cancer-risk
Original study: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19920236

(2) High doses of folic acid may increase colon cancer risk.
http://www.foxnews.c...,278237,00.html
Original study: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17551129

(3) Pharmaceutical advertising biases journals against vitamin supplements.
http://orthomolecula...ns/v05n02.shtml
Original study: Kemper KJ, Hood KL. Does pharmaceutical advertising affect journal publication about dietary supplements? BMC Complement Altern Med. 2008 Apr 9;8:11. Full text at http://www.biomedcen.../1472-6882/8/11 or http://www.pubmedcen...bmedid=18400092

http://orthomolecula...ns/v06n17.shtml

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)