* * * * * 1 votes

Phosphatidylserine and memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 viltro

• Guest, F@H
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

I thought I'd share an interesting experience I seem to be having as a result of adding phosphatidylserine to my daily supplement intake. I've been using 5-HTP, Ginkgo biloba, Omega-3 with a generic multivitamin for over a year. About 2 weeks ago I added phosphatidylserine 100mg in the form of a commercial supplement marketed as "memo plus".

My reasons were actually due to unsupported claims that increased phosphatidylserine results in increased dopamine and dopamine leads to creativity. Not sure where I got that from. Articles of interest are "Phosphatidylserine as a potential nutraceutical for canine brain aging" (Journal of Veterinary Behaviour 2008, 3) and "Phosphatidylserine: an antidepressive or cognitive enhancer?" (Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry 28). The veterinary one has great references, including human trials.

Anyway, the interesting part is that about 3 days after adding PS to my daily intake, I let my mind slip and for some reason focused on a lamppost across the road. I then had a sort of rush of memories that started with "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" and ended in Lewis Carroll's real name being Charles Dodgson. I could remember very specific plot points of the Magician's Nephew, a book I can't even remember reading it was so long ago!

It was quite interesting and has happened a few times since. I looked someone in the eyes and it took me back to year 10, second floor of the maths department, I was talking to my teacher, she had fairly strong perfume but her breath smelt from cheese and onion crisps. 2 kids ran past us. She leaned too close and wore a long silver pendant, she was wearing a black low cut top with a wool cardigan over. In retrospect I think she was coming on to me, but that's beside the point.

Not sure if it's provided me with anything beneficial, but it does seem to be having an effect with my long term memory. I'm also pacing a lot more frequently, something I do when I rehearse ideas through my head, which I see as a good thing.

I'm wondering if anyone else has used PS and what, if anything, they have experienced. I was not expecting anything noticeable myself, so this was a nice surprise.

Edited by viltro, 22 January 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#2 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

ive been using ps for a while, but haven't noticed anything. its one of these supps that to me seem like aspirin, you take for preventative reasons, but nothing really directly off it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

I never noticed anything from it either. What brand are you using?

I'm not sure you meant to connect the two, but I thought I should mention that CS Lewis wrote the Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe :)

Edited by Declmem, 22 January 2010 - 10:21 PM.

#4 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Same here, never noticed anything from PS, never, nothing at all.

#5 viltro

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

I never noticed anything from it either. What brand are you using?

I'm not sure you meant to connect the two, but I thought I should mention that CS Lewis wrote the Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe :)

Actually I did, that's what's weird about it, my mind took me to CS Lewis and then to Lewis Carroll, things with fairly tenuous links that I would not normally associate.

The brand is Healthspan in Jersey. Don't know anything about their manufacturing/sourcing but I've found them to be a good provider of general supplements and I've been getting my 5-HTP from them for about 3 years. It's actually a non-specific phospholipid complex with DHA/EPA. PS content is 100mg, which is half what is discussed in a 1988 report in the Psychopharmacol Bulletin (mentioned in the veterinary report).

Obviously, it may not be the PS at all. I have been doubling up on Ginkgo and 5-HTP a couple of times to try and sort out sleep and fight off nytol hangovers which might have had something to do with it, but that's been more recent. It could also be that my mind is just generally more active as it's currently an exam period. I wasn't quite certain myself which is why I posted.

Edited by viltro, 22 January 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#6 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:17 AM

^ It's also worth noting that what you're taking is not PS by itself but rather a combination pill containing ingredients (if I recall correctly) like Lechin, Fish Oil, PS, among a few others.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:38 AM

PS has improved my dream recall noticeably, many times, from off and on usage before bed and noticing my dream recall the next day. It supposedly helps to regenerate the hippocampus and excess cortisol can damage your hippocampus, so many people recommend it for people who have excess cortisol at night. Improved dream recall might be an early marker for memory improvement, or it might just be that the compound otherwise affects REM sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users