Photo
- - - - -

Steric Acid/Magnesium Sterate/Omega 3

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

Whenever I take a drug or supplement that contains steric acid, magnesium sterate (regular, or from vegetable source), or omega 3 I get a horrible headache 1.5 - 3 hours later that sometimes lasts for a couple days.

I used to be able to take those things fine, but i think i developed an allergy a couple years ago that has been progressing to this point. I was taking a tonne of supplements, a high dose of omega 3, and a few drugs for a long period of time and i foolishly wasn't cycling it, so that must have brought this reaction about.

Anyways, my questions:
Is this common? Are all three chemically related? Is there anything I can do to treat this? Because it's nearly impossible to find supplements or drugs that don't contain steric acid or mag sterate. i did see an allergist and he said he never heard of this allergy and there's nothing i can do about it anyway.... hopefully i can get a better response here.

#2 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

I believe taking those things trigger allergic conjunctivitis... I manifest the symptoms (terrible migraines, congestion, and blood shot eyes).

Can anyone comment on this topic?

Edited by k4t, 25 January 2010 - 05:42 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:51 AM

Are you also allergic to butter/cream ?
Stearic acid is a significant component of milk fat, lard, etc.

Can you eat fish at all ?

Edited by rwac, 25 January 2010 - 05:51 AM.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

Whenever I take a drug or supplement that contains steric acid, magnesium sterate (regular, or from vegetable source), or omega 3 I get a horrible headache 1.5 - 3 hours later that sometimes lasts for a couple days.

I used to be able to take those things fine, but i think i developed an allergy a couple years ago that has been progressing to this point. I was taking a tonne of supplements, a high dose of omega 3, and a few drugs for a long period of time and i foolishly wasn't cycling it, so that must have brought this reaction about.

Anyways, my questions:
Is this common? Are all three chemically related? Is there anything I can do to treat this? Because it's nearly impossible to find supplements or drugs that don't contain steric acid or mag sterate. i did see an allergist and he said he never heard of this allergy and there's nothing i can do about it anyway.... hopefully i can get a better response here.

This is an odd thing to be allergic to, as stearic acid is a fairly bland chemical. Stearic acid is a linear string of CH2 units, capped at one end with a CH3 and at the other with a C(=O)OH, also known as a carboxylate. In other terms, it's an 18 carbon saturated fatty acid. Magnesium stearate is a magnesium ion with two stearic acid molecules (minus their acidic proton) attached to it. Fish oil or other omega-3 oils are also long-chain fatty acids, usually a little longer than 18, but more importantly they contain a number of double bonds instead of only single bonds like saturated fatty acids. Omega-3s are an example of unsaturated fatty acids. Because they are shaped so differently from saturated FAs, I wouldn't expect them to cross-react immunologically with a saturated FA. However, it's likely that most sources of omega-3's also contain some saturated fatty acids, so that might be the connection. But here's the rub: Stearic acid is very common in the animal and plant world. Beef fat and dairy fat from cows is 6-40% stearic acid. Stearic acid can also be found in plant products. So... if you are really allergic to stearic acid or stearates, it seems like you would be in a world of hurt. Maybe you are having a reaction to something else that is a minor component of these highly refined oils as they are found in supplements. Like rwac asked, do you eat dairy, meat or fish? Plant oils?

#5 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:34 AM

Anyways, my questions:

This is an odd thing to be allergic to, as stearic acid is a fairly bland chemical. Stearic acid is a linear string of CH2 units, capped at one end with a CH3 and at the other with a C(=O)OH, also known as a carboxylate. In other terms, it's an 18 carbon saturated fatty acid. Magnesium stearate is a magnesium ion with two stearic acid molecules (minus their acidic proton) attached to it. Fish oil or other omega-3 oils are also long-chain fatty acids, usually a little longer than 18, but more importantly they contain a number of double bonds instead of only single bonds like saturated fatty acids. Omega-3s are an example of unsaturated fatty acids. Because they are shaped so differently from saturated FAs, I wouldn't expect them to cross-react immunologically with a saturated FA. However, it's likely that most sources of omega-3's also contain some saturated fatty acids, so that might be the connection. But here's the rub: Stearic acid is very common in the animal and plant world. Beef fat and dairy fat from cows is 6-40% stearic acid. Stearic acid can also be found in plant products. So... if you are really allergic to stearic acid or stearates, it seems like you would be in a world of hurt. Maybe you are having a reaction to something else that is a minor component of these highly refined oils as they are found in supplements. Like rwac asked, do you eat dairy, meat or fish? Plant oils?

Hey, I'm uneducated in organic chemistry, so the chemical details are a bit over my head. But I eat dairy and meat, and they don't trigger the effect as taking supplements or drugs with the ingredient.

It is a protein and I manifest symptoms of an allergic reaction, and allergic conjunctivitis, so I just as well assumed it was an allergy. I read about a few people being diagnosed with a steric acid allergy. I did see an allergist, but I have questions about his competence. He just admitted he was clueless.

It might be a food intolerance though.

I am possitive it's a reaction to those things. If I ingest any drug or supplement that contains mag sterate (even from vegetable source) I get blood shot eyes and horrible migraines and runny nose/congestion that last a couple days. I ruled out a placebo effect because this happens even when I unknowingly take something with that ingredient and then am surprised an hour later when i manifest the symptoms.

#6 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:37 AM

Are you also allergic to butter/cream ?
Stearic acid is a significant component of milk fat, lard, etc.

Can you eat fish at all ?

I rarely eat fish so I cannot say if i react to that. I do eat butter and cream and they don't give me that same reaction - at least not headaches and blood shot eyes. However, over the last few years I've developed a myrid of allergies, so maybe they manifest differently.

#7 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

I want to post this for archival reasons, or in case someone else is in my position

I started to notice the red eyes and migraines when i was taking a proton pump inhibitor called Rabeprazole for gastric reflux. I was able to take supplements with steric acid and mag sterate before that point with no noticeable problems. I was even taking large doses of omega 3 at the time. I always knew it was correlated.

I just found these links:

"Stomach acid suppression linked to food allergy"
http://www.ukmicentr...amp;NewsID=2626

"Suppression of gastric acid increases the risk of developing Immunoglobulin E-mediated drug hypersensitivity: human diclofenac sensitization and a murine sensitization model."
http://www.ncbi.nlm....mp;ordinalpos=1

This corroborates the hypothesis that suppressing stomach acid production increases food allergies (or intolerance's - whichever one i have).

I took proton pump inhibitors for a couple years until I realized the headaches and red eyes where correlated so I switched to a liquid form of H2 blocker.

Now the issue is where do i go from here, and how do i try and reverse or cure this if it is at all possible

Edited by k4t, 25 January 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#8 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

I took proton pump inhibitors for a couple years until I realized the headaches and red eyes where correlated so I switched to a liquid form of H2 blocker.

Paradoxically, the symptoms of low stomach acid are similar to those of high stomach acid.
Low stomach acid also leads to malabsorption and food allergies.
The PPIs and H2 blockers certainly won't help long term if you have low stomach acid.

Have you tried taking Betaine HCL+Pepsin with protein meals to increase stomach acid ?

#9 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

Paradoxically, the symptoms of low stomach acid are similar to those of high stomach acid.
Low stomach acid also leads to malabsorption and food allergies.
The PPIs and H2 blockers certainly won't help long term if you have low stomach acid.

Have you tried taking Betaine HCL+Pepsin with protein meals to increase stomach acid ?

Today I went and tried to find those two supplements individually, but they were hard to find. i settled on a supplement containing:

Glutamic Acid HCI 100 mg
Pepsin 100 mg
Bromelain 25 mg
Betaine HCI 10 mg

And after taking to a dietitian there I also bought a digestive aid containing:
Amylase 4000 DU (alpha-Amylase Dextrinizing Units)
Glucoamylase 7.5 AGU (Amylase Glucoside Unit)
Invertase 25 IAU (Invertase Activiy Unit)
Protease I 7500 HUT (Hemoglobin Unit -Tyrosine basis)
Protease II 2500 HUT (Hemoglobin Unit - Tyrosine basis)
Malt Diastase 300 DP (degrees Diastatic Power)
Cellulase 400 CU (Cellulase Unit)
Lactase 500 ALU (LacU)-(Lactase Unit)
Lipase 100 FCCLU (Lipase Unit)

And some DGL licorice.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

I started to notice the red eyes and migraines when i was taking a proton pump inhibitor called Rabeprazole for gastric reflux. I was able to take supplements with steric acid and mag sterate before that point with no noticeable problems. I was even taking large doses of omega 3 at the time. I always knew it was correlated.

The low stomach acid hypothesis would mainly make sense for proteins, though. (but see below) Low stomach acid results in reduced pepsin secretion, thus less protein hydrolysis. Here is the second link you posted:

Clin Exp Allergy. 2009 Oct 7.
Suppression of gastric acid increases the risk of developing Immunoglobulin E-mediated drug hypersensitivity: human diclofenac sensitization and a murine sensitization model.

Riemer AB, Gruber S, Pali-Schöll I, Kinaciyan T, Untersmayr E, Jensen-Jarolim E.

Department of Pathophysiology, Division of General Dermatology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria.

Summary Background Hypersensitivity reactions towards non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) are common, although true allergies are detectable only in a subgroup of patients. The current study was prompted by a case observation, where a patient experienced generalized urticaria following his second course of diclofenac and proton pump inhibitor medication, and was found to have diclofenac-specific IgE. During recent years, our group has been investigating the importance of gastric digestion in the development of food allergies, demonstrating anti-acid medication as a risk factor for sensitization against food proteins. Objective Here, we aimed to investigate whether the mechanism of food allergy induction described can also be causative in NSAID allergy, using diclofenac as a paradigm. Methods We subjected BALB/c mice to several oral immunization regimens modelled after the patient's medication intake. Diclofenac was applied with or without gastric acid suppression, in various doses, alone or covalently coupled to albumin, a protein abundant in gastric juices. Immune responses were assessed on the antibody level, and functionally examined by in vitro and in vivo crosslinking assays. Results Only mice receiving albumin-coupled diclofenac under gastric acid suppression developed anti-diclofenac IgG1 and IgE, whereas no immune responses were induced by the drug alone or without gastric acid suppression. Antibody induction was dose dependent with the group receiving the higher dose of the drug showing sustained anti-diclofenac titres. The antibodies induced triggered basophil degranulation in vitro and positive skin tests in vivo. Conclusion Gastric acid suppression was found to be a causative mechanism in the induction of IgE-mediated diclofenac allergy.

PMID: 19817752

The problem only occurred when the drug was covalently linked to a protein, something that they had to do in the lab before they administered it. I don't think this is evidence that low stomach acid would lead to a drug sensitivity. At least not in the general case. However, I just thought of a possible mechanism whereby mag stearate might be a problem under a low stomach acid condition: Because stearic acid is a weak acid, the hydrochloric acid in the stomach would be expected to protonate it, rendering it non-ionic. Although I wasn't able to find any data on this, I hypothesize that magnesium stearate might dissolve in stomach acid, yielding Mg+2 and stearic acid. While stearic acid is a common food component without the sort of chemical character that would cause immunogenicity, magnesium stearate is substantially different, and it's conceivable that an immune response to it could occur. If the normal metabolic fate of magnesium stearate was conversion to magnesium ion and stearic acid in the stomach, then low stomach acid might interfere with this process, leaving intact magnesium stearate. Still, I would expect that to be an insoluble substance that would just pass through the GI tract. But if it's there, then maybe the immune system could see it. This hypothesis hinges on what the actual metabolic fate of magnesium stearate is. If it doesn't normally dissolve in the stomach, then my hypothesis linking mag stearate sensitization to low stomach acid is shot to hell.

#11 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

The low stomach acid hypothesis would mainly make sense for proteins, though. (but see below) Low stomach acid results in reduced pepsin secretion, thus less protein hydrolysis. Here is the second link you posted:

Clin Exp Allergy. 2009 Oct 7.
Suppression of gastric acid increases the risk of developing Immunoglobulin E-mediated drug hypersensitivity: human diclofenac sensitization and a murine sensitization model.

Riemer AB, Gruber S, Pali-Schöll I, Kinaciyan T, Untersmayr E, Jensen-Jarolim E.

Department of Pathophysiology, Division of General Dermatology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria.

Summary Background Hypersensitivity reactions towards non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) are common, although true allergies are detectable only in a subgroup of patients. The current study was prompted by a case observation, where a patient experienced generalized urticaria following his second course of diclofenac and proton pump inhibitor medication, and was found to have diclofenac-specific IgE. During recent years, our group has been investigating the importance of gastric digestion in the development of food allergies, demonstrating anti-acid medication as a risk factor for sensitization against food proteins. Objective Here, we aimed to investigate whether the mechanism of food allergy induction described can also be causative in NSAID allergy, using diclofenac as a paradigm. Methods We subjected BALB/c mice to several oral immunization regimens modelled after the patient's medication intake. Diclofenac was applied with or without gastric acid suppression, in various doses, alone or covalently coupled to albumin, a protein abundant in gastric juices. Immune responses were assessed on the antibody level, and functionally examined by in vitro and in vivo crosslinking assays. Results Only mice receiving albumin-coupled diclofenac under gastric acid suppression developed anti-diclofenac IgG1 and IgE, whereas no immune responses were induced by the drug alone or without gastric acid suppression. Antibody induction was dose dependent with the group receiving the higher dose of the drug showing sustained anti-diclofenac titres. The antibodies induced triggered basophil degranulation in vitro and positive skin tests in vivo. Conclusion Gastric acid suppression was found to be a causative mechanism in the induction of IgE-mediated diclofenac allergy.

PMID: 19817752

The problem only occurred when the drug was covalently linked to a protein, something that they had to do in the lab before they administered it. I don't think this is evidence that low stomach acid would lead to a drug sensitivity. At least not in the general case. However, I just thought of a possible mechanism whereby mag stearate might be a problem under a low stomach acid condition: Because stearic acid is a weak acid, the hydrochloric acid in the stomach would be expected to protonate it, rendering it non-ionic. Although I wasn't able to find any data on this, I hypothesize that magnesium stearate might dissolve in stomach acid, yielding Mg+2 and stearic acid. While stearic acid is a common food component without the sort of chemical character that would cause immunogenicity, magnesium stearate is substantially different, and it's conceivable that an immune response to it could occur. If the normal metabolic fate of magnesium stearate was conversion to magnesium ion and stearic acid in the stomach, then low stomach acid might interfere with this process, leaving intact magnesium stearate. Still, I would expect that to be an insoluble substance that would just pass through the GI tract. But if it's there, then maybe the immune system could see it. This hypothesis hinges on what the actual metabolic fate of magnesium stearate is. If it doesn't normally dissolve in the stomach, then my hypothesis linking mag stearate sensitization to low stomach acid is shot to hell.

That was a great post! I just recalled that I believe I was taking a drug that had calcium stearate in it, and i don't think I reacted to it. So maybe it isn't steric acid I'm allergic to. That would also make me question why omega 3 is causing this reaction if it's not related to steric acid. Anything with mag sterate (even vegetable grade) creates this reaction, this is certain. i also cannot take whey protein anymore... even ones without mag sterate. i thought it was a soy reaction, but apperently I'm not allergic to soy based on allergy testing, so it's got to be one of the proteins.

But what would you recommend apart from increasing pepsin through supplementation?

Edited by k4t, 26 January 2010 - 07:04 AM.

#12 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

If the normal metabolic fate of magnesium stearate was conversion to magnesium ion and stearic acid in the stomach, then low stomach acid might interfere with this process, leaving intact magnesium stearate. Still, I would expect that to be an insoluble substance that would just pass through the GI tract.

Well, say it makes it through the stomach intact.
Mag Stearate is (slightly?) lipid soluble, so it might well be taken up via the route for fat soluble substances, bile.

#13 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

That was a great post! I just recalled that I believe I was taking a drug that had calcium stearate in it, and i don't think I reacted to it. So maybe it isn't steric acid I'm allergic to. That would also make me question why omega 3 is causing this reaction if it's not related to steric acid. Anything with mag sterate (even vegetable grade) creates this reaction, this is certain. i also cannot take whey protein anymore... even ones without mag sterate. i thought it was a soy reaction, but apperently I'm not allergic to soy based on allergy testing, so it's got to be one of the proteins.

But what would you recommend apart from increasing pepsin through supplementation?

If your stomach acid is low, you'll have allergic reactions to all sorts of substances that should otherwise be broken down in the stomach.
So fix that problem first.

#14 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:25 AM

The omega 3 reaction was because it has soy in the form of vitamin E in it.

Soy and magnesium sterate give me this reaction.  I also tested positive to soy on an allergy skin test.

This is something that is still bugging me, as it's getting worse and those things are unavoidable sometimes.  The comments here were very intelligent, if i can get anymore like them it would be appreciated.   

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:17 AM

Soy and magnesium sterate give me this reaction.  I also tested positive to soy on an allergy skin test.

Vitamin E and soy are different things; did the package say that it was a soy-derived tocopherol or something along those lines? A soy allergy could be either a specific protein or a small molecule. If there was a soy-derived product in the fish oil, I would lean toward the small molecule hypothesis. If a protein did get into fish oil, it would probably denature, rendering it non-immunogenic. If you don't get the effect from eating animal fat or from calcium stearate, then it really sounds like you are responding specifically to magnesium stearate itself. Depending on how carefully the fish oil was made, it's at least conceivable that it could have a small amount of mag stearate contamination. Have you tried different brands, or possibly an uncapped liquid?

Soy could be tough to avoid. The best plan would probably be to eat only real food, not industrial food. If you cook it yourself, you have a lot of control over what's in it. You would need to avoid processed foods, or at least read the label very carefully.

#16 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:13 AM

Vitamin E and soy are different things; did the package say that it was a soy-derived tocopherol or something along those lines?  A soy allergy could be either a specific protein or a small molecule.  If there was a soy-derived product in the fish oil, I would lean toward the small molecule hypothesis.  If a protein did get into fish oil, it would probably denature, rendering it non-immunogenic.  If you don't get the effect from eating animal fat or from calcium stearate, then it really sounds like you are responding specifically to magnesium stearate itself.  Depending on how carefully the fish oil was made, it's at least conceivable that it could have a small amount of mag stearate contamination.  Have you tried different brands, or possibly an uncapped liquid?  

Soy could be tough to avoid.  The best plan would probably be to eat only real food, not industrial food.  If you cook it yourself, you have a lot of control over what's in it.  You would need to avoid processed foods, or at least read the label very carefully.

I was reacting to a bunch of other supplements last year that were devoid of magnesium sterate and I was paranoid I was developing food allergies to everything, or developed some terrible placebo effect.  I had a soy protein drink at the health store and got the same reaction as I would get from magnesium sterate.  I then looked at the other products I was reacting to: the omega 3 that was mentioned at the top [1], lutein I was taking to try and offset the red eyes[2], astaxanthan [3], and a saw palmetto supp and the common ingredient was vitamin E and soy or a soy derivative. So, knowing that was one of the things I was highly allergic to when I did a skin test, and how none of those supplements had any mag sterate listed, I logically concluded that soy was the other thing I am sensitive to.

What type of reaction do you assume I'm having to magnesium sterate?  Allergies, intolerance, hypersensitivity, other?  Is avoidance the only option?  I would like to resume taking things with magnesium sterate, like drugs or supplements one day.  

#17 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:36 AM

I then looked at the other products I was reacting to: the omega 3 that was mentioned at the top [1], lutein I was taking to try and offset the red eyes[2], astaxanthan [3], and a saw palmetto supp and the common ingredient was vitamin E and soy or a soy derivative. So, knowing that was one of the things I was highly allergic to when I did a skin test, and how none of those supplements had any mag sterate listed, I logically concluded that soy was the other thing I am sensitive to.

What type of reaction do you assume I'm having to magnesium sterate? Allergies, intolerance, hypersensitivity, other? Is avoidance the only option? I would like to resume taking things with magnesium sterate, like drugs or supplements one day.

I used to have bad reactions to vit E too. Alpha-tocopherol depletes gamma-tocopherol, so you might need more gamma tocopherol.
A full-spectrum E like FamilE worked much better for me. I think it was some kind of oxidative stress, and alpha tocopherol was actually depleting other forms...

btw, are you still taking the PPI ?
Do you have trouble digesting large amounts of protein ? (This indicates low stomach acid)

#18 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

I then looked at the other products I was reacting to: the omega 3 that was mentioned at the top [1], lutein I was taking to try and offset the red eyes[2], astaxanthan [3], and a saw palmetto supp and the common ingredient was vitamin E and soy or a soy derivative. So, knowing that was one of the things I was highly allergic to when I did a skin test, and how none of those supplements had any mag sterate listed, I logically concluded that soy was the other thing I am sensitive to.

What type of reaction do you assume I'm having to magnesium sterate?  Allergies, intolerance, hypersensitivity, other?  Is avoidance the only option?  I would like to resume taking things with magnesium sterate, like drugs or supplements one day.  

I used to have bad reactions to vit E too. Alpha-tocopherol depletes gamma-tocopherol, so you might need more gamma tocopherol.
A full-spectrum E like FamilE worked much better for me. I think it was some kind of oxidative stress, and alpha tocopherol was actually depleting other forms...

btw, are you still taking the PPI ?
Do you have trouble digesting large amounts of protein ? (This indicates low stomach acid)

I stopped the PPI, but I am still taking h2 blocker ranidine 20 ML of the liquid. I should stop this, I don't even know why I'm taking it anymore actually.  

I got betine and pepsin on hand, but after trying it a few times and getting bad reflux I concluded my issue was low stomach acid, but I'm going to retry it tomorrow and continue for a few days to see if it helps me with this problem. 

I really think it's an allergy or intolerance to mag sterate and soy derivatives that progressively built up over time facilitated by the stomach acid suppression for a few years, but hopefully it's something as simple as low stomach acid.    

I'm unsure if this is irrelevant, but I want to archive: A few years ago I was sick with bronchitis and pneumonia according to a doctor at the ER. This was the sickest I ever felt in my life.  I was taking the PPI and an antibiotic for a couple weeks.  I couldn't eat anything, so during this time I consumed large amounts supplements and omega 3 (I was taking a large amount of omega 3 and magnesium sterate containing supps before this time without reaction).  I was also taking a really high dose of magnesium that was well over the recommended dose to treat a bruxism issue, and I was taking it with everything else. Several months later I started getting blood shot eyes.  One theory I had previously is i set off some reaction during this time with the antibiotics, PPI, and supplements.  Or it could be totally unrelated and I just become hypersensitive over time.   

#19 John Barleycorn

• 142 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

What type of reaction do you assume I'm having to magnesium sterate?  Allergies, intolerance, hypersensitivity, other?  

Your symptoms are just as consistent with vasodilation as with allergy. The two are related, except that the former isn't necessarily histamine-moderated.

#20 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

What type of reaction do you assume I'm having to magnesium sterate? Allergies, intolerance, hypersensitivity, other?

Your symptoms are just as consistent with vasodilation as with allergy. The two are related, except that the former isn't necessarily histamine-moderated.

I thought it could be a vasodilation issue as well. All those things I'm reacting to are vasodiliators. I tried pseudoephedrine (which seemed to help for the few days), and I tried to get Methamphetamine but my doctor refused.

I just find it hard to believe that such a minute amount of magnesium sterate can cause such a potent vasodilation response, so I'm more inclined to believe it's a sensitivity or allergy of some kind.

I'm currently retrying betine and pepsin and I'll get some pseudoephedrine today to see if either work.

#21 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

I thought it could be a vasodilation issue as well. All those things I'm reacting to are vasodiliators. I tried pseudoephedrine (which seemed to help for the few days), and I tried to get Methamphetamine but my doctor refused.

Do other magnesium supplements have the same effect ? Say Malate or Citrate ?

#22 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

Do other magnesium supplements have the same effect ? Say Malate or Citrate ?

I believe I was taking a supplement with magnesium citrate as a main ingredient earlier this year and had no reaction

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Excluding vasodilation, allergies, sensitives, intolerance's, etc. is there any mechanism where any of these supplements cause congestion, or dry eyes, which in turn cause the bloodshot eyes and migraines? The headaches do feel like sinus headaches.

I'm taking a high dose of Reactine and it's doing nothing, but i don't know if it has the same efficacy in preventing food allergies as it does for seasonal ones. If it does, I might be able to exclude it being an allergic reaction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users