Photo
- - - - -

Goitrogenic vegetables

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 humanhibernaculum

• 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

Cruciferous vegetables (the kind that I eat almost exclusively) are starting to worry me. I have no idea whether I have any amount of hypothyroidism (although I'm pretty damn susceptible to cold), but assuming I don't, should I worry about consuming spinach/kale/cabbage daily? I've read that cooking would remove the goitrogenic material, but can this be achieved through light steaming? If I have to quit eating these three, I'm at a loss of what to eat. Crucifers pretty much cover all of the vegetables I consider buying when I go to the grocery.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Cruciferous vegetables (the kind that I eat almost exclusively) are starting to worry me. I have no idea whether I have any amount of hypothyroidism (although I'm pretty damn susceptible to cold), but assuming I don't, should I worry about consuming spinach/kale/cabbage daily? I've read that cooking would remove the goitrogenic material, but can this be achieved through light steaming? If I have to quit eating these three, I'm at a loss of what to eat. Crucifers pretty much cover all of the vegetables I consider buying when I go to the grocery.

You can get your thyroid levels checked. That would let you know if you are at risk. You can also take potassium iodide. It's cheap and has little downside. In fact, since I've been taking iodide, my mood has been distinctly better. I don't know if it's connected, but nothing else in my regimen changed since I noticed it. The Wikipedia article on "Goitrogen" had this tidbit:

Some foods and drinks have an opposite effect on the thyroid gland; that is, they stimulate thyroid function rather than suppressing it, examples being avocado, coconut,[8] and saturated fat.[9]

So start rocking those healthy fats.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 humanhibernaculum

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

You can get your thyroid levels checked. That would let you know if you are at risk. You can also take potassium iodide. It's cheap and has little downside. In fact, since I've been taking iodide, my mood has been distinctly better. I don't know if it's connected, but nothing else in my regimen changed since I noticed it. The Wikipedia article on "Goitrogen" had this tidbit:

Some foods and drinks have an opposite effect on the thyroid gland; that is, they stimulate thyroid function rather than suppressing it, examples being avocado, coconut,[8] and saturated fat.[9]

So start rocking those healthy fats.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have to add potassium iodide. Sounds like I'd be able to somewhat cancel out the effects of goitrogens.

As far as the healthy fats go, that's not a problem. Coconut and other saturated fats are part of my daily diet.

I'm going to try and venture out into new vegetable territory anyway, but it sounds like the ill effects of goits can be minimized.

#4 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

I think you are too paranoid: first spinach, and now crucifers. If you don't have a pre-existing thyroid problem, the benefits of consuming cruciferous vegetables far out weigh any negatives. In fact, there is NO research indicating crucifers pose any sort of risk to individuals with a normal function thyroid.

From WHFoods:

"There are two general categories of foods that have been associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production in humans: soybean-related foods and cruciferous vegetables. In addition, there are a few other foods not included in these categories - such as peaches, strawberries and millet - that also contain goitrogens.

Isothiocyanates are the category of substances in crucifers that have been associated with decreased thyroid function. Like the isoflavones, isothiocyanates appear to reduce thyroid function by blocking thyroid peroxidase, and also by disrupting messages that are sent across the membranes of thyroid cells.

In the absence of thyroid problems, there is no research evidence to suggest that goitrogenic foods will negatively impact your health. In fact, the opposite is true: cruciferous vegetables have unique nutritional value, and intake of these foods has been associated with decreased risk of disease in many research studies.

Because carefully controlled research studies have yet to take place on the relationship between goitrogenic foods and thyroid hormone deficiency, healthcare practitioners differ greatly on their perspectives as to whether a person who has thyroid problems, and notably a thyroid hormone deficiency, should limit their intake of goitrogenic foods. Most practitioners use words like "overconsumption" or "excessive" to describe the kind of goitrogen intake that would be a problem for individuals with thyroid hormone deficiency. Here the goal is not to eliminate goitrogenic foods from the meal plan, but to limit intake so that it falls into a reasonable range.

Although research studies are limited in this area, cooking does appear to help inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. Both isoflavones (found in soy foods) and isothiocyanates (found in cruciferous vegetables) appear to be heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower the availability of these substances. In the case of isothiocyanates in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, as much as one third of this goitrogenic substance may be deactivated when broccoli is boiled in water.
"

#5 humanhibernaculum

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

I think you are too paranoid: first spinach, and now crucifers. If you don't have a pre-existing thyroid problem, the benefits of consuming cruciferous vegetables far out weigh any negatives. In fact, there is NO research indicating crucifers pose any sort of risk to individuals with a normal function thyroid.

From WHFoods:

"There are two general categories of foods that have been associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production in humans: soybean-related foods and cruciferous vegetables. In addition, there are a few other foods not included in these categories - such as peaches, strawberries and millet - that also contain goitrogens.

Isothiocyanates are the category of substances in crucifers that have been associated with decreased thyroid function. Like the isoflavones, isothiocyanates appear to reduce thyroid function by blocking thyroid peroxidase, and also by disrupting messages that are sent across the membranes of thyroid cells.

In the absence of thyroid problems, there is no research evidence to suggest that goitrogenic foods will negatively impact your health. In fact, the opposite is true: cruciferous vegetables have unique nutritional value, and intake of these foods has been associated with decreased risk of disease in many research studies.

Because carefully controlled research studies have yet to take place on the relationship between goitrogenic foods and thyroid hormone deficiency, healthcare practitioners differ greatly on their perspectives as to whether a person who has thyroid problems, and notably a thyroid hormone deficiency, should limit their intake of goitrogenic foods. Most practitioners use words like "overconsumption" or "excessive" to describe the kind of goitrogen intake that would be a problem for individuals with thyroid hormone deficiency. Here the goal is not to eliminate goitrogenic foods from the meal plan, but to limit intake so that it falls into a reasonable range.

Although research studies are limited in this area, cooking does appear to help inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. Both isoflavones (found in soy foods) and isothiocyanates (found in cruciferous vegetables) appear to be heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower the availability of these substances. In the case of isothiocyanates in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, as much as one third of this goitrogenic substance may be deactivated when broccoli is boiled in water.
"

I appreciate the info, Skot, and yes, I may be too paranoid, but having spent the last ten years dealing with severe depression and anxiety which have only just begun to slowly clear up the last couple of years as a result of dietary changes, I'm obsessive with having a diet that isn't going to cause mood disorders or debilitate social functioning. Also, in the last three years, I have dropped 50% of my bodyweight (through diet, exercise), so I'm a bit obsessive about not gaining too much fat. Obviously, I'd like to keep my thyroid in good working order.

I'm also pursuing a nutrition degree (although I'm not far along currently) and have a particular interest in foods that are generally considered healthy, yet can cause significant problems in some individuals.

Although the depression and anxiety have lifted significantly (slowly) through dietary changes and exercise, I still experience a major fog/depression, fatigue, and occasionally severe anxiety (social and otherwise), and, like I said, am obsessed with anything that can help, especially something as simple as dropping a certain food (dropping gluten and casein has noticeably improved my mood and social function).

Having this history (as well as an inability to handle colder temperatures most of the time) as well as the current fog/fatigue/depression state, I feel I might have a compromised thyroid. I realize all of those symptoms could be caused by a variety of other conditions, and this is exactly what I'm trying to isolate. My experiments aren't exactly scientific, but in general, I have found what makes me feel better, and what makes me feel worse.

My girlfriend didn't exactly call me paranoid when I stopped with the gluten, but she didn't understand and thought I was overreacting. The benefits are now obvious.

The study you posted does put my mind at ease.

#6 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:41 AM

Yeah, what Skot said. If you either have thyroid function so on the edge of dysfunction that you have to avoid cruciferous veggies, or your intake of goiterogens is that high, then you might want to consider avoiding said foods. I would avoid going apeshit with them though if raw, and especially certain things such as unfermented soybeans, but otherwise you're fine. Besides, depressed thyroid function can increase longevity as shown in animal models, and lowered thyroid function is associated with CR, so at worst you still have something to look forward to.

#7 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

Worrying too much! hey, if you feel cold, good! you might live a little longer xD

#8 humanhibernaculum

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

Well, whether or not questioning crucifers was rational, I'm glad I posted the question. I got what I was looking for - crucifers aren't likely to harm thyroid function unless it's already below normal. Additionally, I can use my diet and supplementation to cancel out any possible negative effects.Thanks for the info, guys.

#9 frederickson

• 282 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:48 AM

Well, whether or not questioning crucifers was rational, I'm glad I posted the question. I got what I was looking for - crucifers aren't likely to harm thyroid function unless it's already below normal. Additionally, I can use my diet and supplementation to cancel out any possible negative effects.Thanks for the info, guys.

this is admittedly off-topic, but since your question has already been answered, i will fire away.

how have your nutrition professors responded to your observations that eliminating gluten and casein have greatly improved your health? the reason i ask is that most nutrition academics (and certainly your typical nutritionist/dietician) are food pyramid stooges.

#10 humanhibernaculum

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:52 AM

this is admittedly off-topic, but since your question has already been answered, i will fire away.

how have your nutrition professors responded to your observations that eliminating gluten and casein have greatly improved your health? the reason i ask is that most nutrition academics (and certainly your typical nutritionist/dietician) are food pyramid stooges.

Actually I haven't taken a single nutrition class yet. The university I'm at doesn't offer a nutrition program, so I'm on their Bio track right now. I'm planning on transferring eventually, but I've got a good job of four years and am hesitant to leave. I'd like to avoid racking up student loans until absolutely necessary.

After a lecture on macromolecules, I did talk to my bio professor about saturated fats and their bad reputation, as well as carbohydrate overconsumption. He agreed that saturated fats weren't all that bad in moderation, but didn't really comment when I mentioned carbohydrates and the ill effects from overconsumption, other than saying it's all about moderation. He's a great professor - very helpful - but he is the head of plant biology, and I'm assuming that's where most of his energy/interest lies. I'm anxious to talk to a professor that's more interested in giving their opinion on these subjects and more. I figure they'll all be fairly mainstream, but who knows. They've studied the subject inside and out, seems like even if they do follow conventional wisdom, there'd be some good reason behind it.

Just to clarify the benefits I've claimed from dropping the two - all I know is that gluten and casein were/are detrimental to my mood (and to a lesser degree social functioning) if eaten regularly. I'm not sure if it is making me physically healthier, but I have found that being healthy/avoiding allergens goes hand-in-hand with an uplifted mood, so I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe instead of casein I should of just typed "dairy". I realize casein can be found elsewhere, but dairy would be where I was getting the majority of it, and I have my reasons for avoiding that protein in particular. Dairy hasn't treated me well in other ways (typical lactose-intolerant reactions), so it's not hard to drop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users