Photo
- - - - -

Cetyl Myristoleate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

I would be interested in hearing from people who have tried this stuff.

Effect of a cetylated fatty acid topical cream on functional mobility and quality of life of patients with osteoarthritis.

Kraemer WJ, Ratamess NA, Anderson JM, Maresh CM, Tiberio DP, Joyce ME, Messinger BN, French DN, Rubin MR, Gómez AL, Volek JS, Hesslink R Jr.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the effect of a topical cream consisting of cetylated fatty acids on functional performance in patients diagnosed with osteoarthritis (OA) of one or both knees. METHODS: Forty patients diagnosed with knee OA were randomly assigned to one of 2 topical treatment groups: (1) cetylated fatty acid (CFA) (n = 20; age 62.7 +/- 11.7 yrs); or (2) placebo group (n = 20; age 64.6 +/- 10.5 yrs). Patients were tested on 3 occasions: (1) baseline (T1), (2) 30 min after initial treatment (T2), and (3) after 30-day treatment of cream application twice per day (T3). Assessments included knee range of motion (ROM), timed "up-and-go" from a chair and stair climbing, medial step-down test, and the unilateral anterior reach. RESULTS: For stair climbing ability and the up-and-go test, significant decreases in time were observed at T2 and T3 compared to T1 in the CFA group only. These differences were significant between groups. Supine ROM of the knees increased at T2 and T3 in CFA group, whereas no difference was observed in the placebo group. For the medial step-down test, significant improvement was observed at T2 and T3 compared to T1 in CFA group. For the unilateral anterior reach, significant improvement was observed for both legs in CFA group and in only the left leg in the placebo group. However, the improvements observed in CFA group were significantly greater than placebo group for both legs. CONCLUSION: Use of a CFA topical cream is an effective treatment for improving knee ROM, ability to ascend/descend stairs, ability to rise from sitting, walk and sit down, and unilateral balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15088305

Cetylated fatty acids improve knee function in patients with osteoarthritis.

Hesslink R Jr, Armstrong D 3rd, Nagendran MV, Sreevatsan S, Barathur R.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the benefit of cetylated fatty acids (CFA) on knee range of motion and function in patients with osteoarthritis (OA). METHODS: Sixty-four patients with chronic knee OA were evaluated at baseline and at 30 and 68 days after consuming either placebo (vegetable oil; n = 31) or CFA (Celadrin; n = 33). Evaluations included physician assessment, knee range of motion with goniometry, and the Lequesne Algofunctional Index (LAI). RESULTS: After 68 days, patients treated with CFA exhibited significant (p < 0.001) increase in knee flexion (10.1 degrees) compared to patients given placebo (1.1 degrees). Neither group reported improvement in knee extension. Patient responses to the LAI indicated a significant (p < 0.001) shift towards functional improvement for the CFA group (-5.4 points) after 68 days compared to a modest improvement in the placebo group (-2.1 points). CONCLUSION: Compared to placebo, CFA provides an improvement in knee range of motion and overall function in patients with OA of the knee. CFA may be an alternative to the use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs for the treatment of OA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12180734

Cetyl myristoleate isolated from Swiss albino mice: an apparent protective agent against adjuvant arthritis in rats.

Diehl HW, May EL.

Cetyl myristoleate was isolated from National Institutes of Health, general purpose, Swiss albino mice that were immune to the polyarthritis induced in rats with Freund's adjuvant. This substance, or material synthesized from cetyl alcohol and myristoleic acid, afforded good protection against adjuvant-induced arthritic states in rats. In limited comparisons, cetyl oleate, also found in Swiss albino mice, gave lesser protection, whereas cetyl myristate and cetyl elaidate, the trans-isomer of cetyl oleate, appeared to be virtually ineffective. Dosage of the protective compound as well as the site of injection of Freund's adjuvant was important.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8207671

#2 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

I just started using this for my osteo arthritis. Its been less than a month so its hard to say. It seemed to work in the first few days, typical placebo response, and then I was not sure. I'm taking about 4 gm of the mixture which is supposed to have 900 mg of cmo. They say to load up on it the first month or so and then you can taper off. I will make follow up reports if anyone is interested. Anybody else out there using it? It sounds really good.

I'll try damn near anything that is supposed to help anything I'm having trouble with.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

I've considered it, and almost tried it (as Celadrin) once. I got a free sample bottle and was all set to try it out -- until I opened the bottle. Is this stuff supposed to stink? I mean, really stink. Closest comparison would be that it smelled like shit, literally.

I couldn't make myself even try one capsule after getting a smell of the bottle. Bad batch? Or does it normally have an odor?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I've considered it, and almost tried it (as Celadrin) once. I got a free sample bottle and was all set to try it out -- until I opened the bottle. Is this stuff supposed to stink? I mean, really stink. Closest comparison would be that it smelled like shit, literally.

I couldn't make myself even try one capsule after getting a smell of the bottle. Bad batch? Or does it normally have an odor?

Mine always smells like motor oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users