• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

An article that went up on Science Daily today:

http://www.scienceda...00419172842.htm

Some highlights:

Stanford University School of Medicine researchers have identified several small molecules that mimic a key but cumbersome protein in the brain, a discovery that could open the door to new therapies for a variety of brain disorders. The protein, designated by the acronym BDNF, is known to be involved in important brain functions that include memory and learning.

BDNF belongs to a family of proteins called nerve growth factors, which are critical during development of the nervous system. When a growth factor binds to its receptor on the surface of a neuron, or nerve cell, it can trigger a cascade of signals inside the cell that direct the cell to survive, grow a projection extending to nearby or distant cells, or form a specialized connection with another cell that lets those two cells communicate. And in a few areas of the brain where new nerve cells can be formed, BDNF promotes this process. But its activity is diminished in certain neurodegenerative disorders, such as Huntington's disease. Even in healthy individuals, its levels decline gradually with age.

Using BDNF itself as a therapeutic drug would be tough, Longo said, as protein drugs are not only costly to make but can't be taken orally (our digestive tracts make no distinctions between proteins in pills and proteins in Porterhouse steaks) and so would have to be injected. Even then, BDNF is very rapidly broken down in the body. "It lasts for only about a minute in the blood," said Longo, who also holds the George and Lucy Becker Professorship. Finally, the blood-brain barrier, which has evolved to protect the brain from undesirable foreign substances, would effectively bar entry to blood-borne BDNF. "So for neurologic disease, it won't reach its target."

Of the million molecules tested, about 2,000 gave signs of having possible BDNF-like TrkB-binding activity. To narrow this list, the investigators used a number of rules of thumb about what kind of molecule makes a drug likely to be nontoxic, more easily absorbed and so forth. "We ended up with 14 that looked pretty good," said Longo.

Of the seven tested molecules, five had the BDNF-like ability to prevent neurons cultured in a dish from dying. The four most active are discussed in the new paper.

The patents for these four compounds are held by the University of North Carolina and UCSF, where Longo worked before coming to Stanford. While at UNC, Longo founded PharmatrophiX, a company focused on the commercial development of small molecules similar to and including those identified in this study.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on this paper.

Edit: Used incorrect tags.

Edited by babcock, 21 April 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#2 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

Very nice find! As luck would have it, the article is available free online: Small molecule BDNF mimetics activate TrkB signaling and prevent neuronal degeneration in rodents. (pdf)

Looks like the most active molecules are called LM22A 1-4. Will probably be hard to find these outside of Longo's lab for a while. And since he owns a company who specializes in neurotrophin molecules (PharmatrophiX), I bet they'll go to prescription after development. -_-

Some of the NGF inducers I've been reading about work on BDNF as well. Lithium was one, can't remember the others right now. Babcock, have you looked at low dose lithium (2.5-5mg orotate)? It's the next one I'm adding for NGF/neuroprotection, because it only costs about 5¢ /day :|w

Edited by chrono, 21 April 2010 - 12:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 babcock

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Some of the NGF inducers I've been reading about work on BDNF as well. Lithium was one, can't remember the others right now. Babcock, have you looked at low dose lithium (2.5-5mg orotate)? It's the next one I'm adding for NGF/neuroprotection, because it only costs about 5¢ /day :|w

I have looked at low dose lithium. I'm trying to get together a "long term neural protection" regimen as I've found "short term" neural enhancers (i.e. racetams) don't do that much for me. Lithium was definitely on my list but when I hear lithium I always think of that movie Grosse Point Blank where Cusack's mom is crazy due to long term lithium poisoning. I know low dose won't hurt but it's one of those things that's always in the back of my mind :-P.

#4 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

I have looked at low dose lithium. I'm trying to get together a "long term neural protection" regimen as I've found "short term" neural enhancers (i.e. racetams) don't do that much for me. Lithium was definitely on my list but when I hear lithium I always think of that movie Grosse Point Blank where Cusack's mom is crazy due to long term lithium poisoning. I know low dose won't hurt but it's one of those things that's always in the back of my mind :-P.

Don't forget Garden State, where Zach Braff's character is prescribed lithium by his own father to keep him numb.

In other news, my psychiatrist just started me on lithium. We're titrating up from 300mg lithium carbonate. He says he has another patient who's responding well to that dose (typical therapeutic ranges are 600-1800mg/day).
I tried lithium orotate about 8 years ago - Advanced Research 120mg (4.8mg elemental lithium); it made me feel like a zombie. I became completely apathetic.
Interestingly, I have not had the same reaction to 300mg lithium carbonate (~67mg elemental lithium).

#5 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

I tried lithium orotate about 8 years ago - Advanced Research 120mg (4.8mg elemental lithium); it made me feel like a zombie. I became completely apathetic.
Interestingly, I have not had the same reaction to 300mg lithium carbonate (~67mg elemental lithium).

I wonder if this has something to do with dose-response, or if you're just in a different place physiologically/psychologically? I've come across a fair number of reports which include apathy, detachment, crankiness, and fatigue at 5mg. But others say it provides a very pleasant and mild anxiolysis. I'm obviously hoping for the latter, because it has several excellent implications for neural health/enhancement.

Best of luck with your titration, I hope it works great!

#6 babcock

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

I wonder if this has something to do with dose-response, or if you're just in a different place physiologically/psychologically? I've come across a fair number of reports which include apathy, detachment, crankiness, and fatigue at 5mg. But others say it provides a very pleasant and mild anxiolysis. I'm obviously hoping for the latter, because it has several excellent implications for neural health/enhancement.

Best of luck with your titration, I hope it works great!

A lot of threads I've run across here where "regulars" are talking about supplementing with lithium say they break down their 5mg pills to try to take just a 1g-2g dose. I think you were involved in one of these discussions chrono. I know that if I were to start supplementing I would definitely only take this small dose.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear anyone tends to make this small of a dose...

#7 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't appear anyone tends to make this small of a dose...

I intend to do only 1 MG per day. I think some others do too.

I personally would want to see lithium toxicity tests, if I did 5+ mg daily.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Started 5mg lithium/day this Monday and the effect is that i smile too much...really without a reason...Actually this morning I had all the reasons to get really pissed off because some admin issue didn't work out - but instead I enjoy the day, feel like dancing...and smile way too much. I want to cut back to 2.5 mg /day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users