Photo
- - - - -

depression/ocd after gall bladder removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 japhyryder

• 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here with good scientific knowledge so I wonder if you can give some advice. Since losing my gallbladder, (car crash), I've had major depression and OCD issues. Paroextine (SSRI) worked well for a number of years but I decided to come off it because of side effects. 5htp, Tryptophan and St John's Wort make things much worse. Inositol didn't seem to do much, even at a high dose. I've read some interesting articles with suggest glutamate levels are an important factor in OCD, but the idea of removing basically everything I like eating from my diet fills me with horror. I'm already a whole food junkie, with minimal refined sugars in the diet and lots of good oil. So what are my options? I've heard good things about SAM-e, but can't figure out if I fit the under methylated or over-methylated categories - because I seem to exhibit symptoms of both. I'm worried about taking it in case it makes this worse, as with 5htp etc? Failing any positive solution, I guess I'll try paroxetine again, but thought I'd see what anyone had to say first... Something definitely changed after losing the gall-bladder, so that my life has never been the same since. It makes sense that my liver's working much harder now, and perhaps there are fat absorption issues - but how could this affect mental health?

#2 ken_akiba

• 199 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

I may not be the most qualified to give you any advice but I'll try.
It is not unreasonable to think that fat metabolism diorder affects cognitive function because brain is basically one large ball of fat.

If you are not taking digestive enzymes, start taking one. One with emphasis on lipid digestion.
Consume decent amount of animal meat and fish eberyday.
Take Krill oil. Its unique phospholipids are good brain nutrient. Astaxanthin found in this oil is priceless but that's for another thread.
Take Jarrow Formulas' Neuro Optimizer. Take 2 to 4 caps a day. One minor complaint I have on this one is that its folic acid is not in 5-MTHF form.
In addition to Neuro Optimizer, take Choline and Alpha GPC. 250mg of Choline and 300mg Alpha GPC a day.

Lastly, look for Harp Seal oil. It has good amount of DPA, another wonderful brain nutrient (Only miniscule amount of DPA is available in regular fishoil. Sale of Harp Seal oil surpassed that of fishoil years ago in Japan). I can't provide brand recommendation since the ones I know are all Japanese ones.

I sincerely wish you the best.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 Tygo

• 43 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Since the gallbladder is partly responsible in the digestion of fat, and since deficiency of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids is sometimes associated with various mental disorders, the removal of the gallbladder might explain some of your problems. Note, this is just an educated guess, but it does make sense, especially since your issues started only after the removal of the gallbladder.

That said, I'd say try a digestion aid like Jarrow Bile Acid Factors. Or make an appointment with your physician and ask for prescription bile acids, which might be less expensive. Make sure you're getting plenty of omega-3 too (fish oil), and perhaps some omega-6, although you're likely getting enough n-6 already from your diet.

#4 japhyryder

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'm going to try some of these recommendations and will report back.

#5 Maddona

• 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

They do say, if you eat too fast, too much air gets in your system and can cause gastro, for instance. Lactose intollerance can as well, whilst you are un-aware that spicy foods, some milks etc give it to you. But, that should consist of bloated stomach at times as well, as confusion of running to the loo verses not at all

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#6 soulfiremage

• 104 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

I had my gall bladder out and have had no issues from it. You still produce bile, just no reservoir for large amounts of fat. So I doubt there is a real link here, I researched the op loads before having it done earlier this year. This is the first time I've heard anyone come away with mental health concerns from it, making me feel it's coincidence?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users