- - - - -

Brain stimulation methods

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

I would like to see a project promoting the development of non-invasive brain stimulation machines. A few that come to mind are Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation and deep-brain HEG (hemoencephalography).

The Openstim project (www.openstim.org) was to tackle the first but for some (perhaps commercial) reasons, Boyden's team haven't released information about the unit they developed and it hasn't even been reviewed anywhere. The way I see it, many people, including those with electronic engineering skills, frequent this board, so why not make use of those skills? We could all use the extra brain oomh I think (while mood improvement haven't been seen in normal volunteers, increased cognitive abilities have; and then there's the benefit for people like who really would need this to get closer to normality).

I've created a group for the latter but it never got off (groups.yahoo.com/group/deepheg). This might require a bit fancier software to achieve the required resolution to extract brain oxygen measurements from deep in the brain but it might still be a reasonable goal.

OK, ask me questions if you like and tell me what you think of my project idea.

Edited by poser, 30 May 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#2 poser

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Sorry, I didn't read instructions until now.

Proposal: Design DIY rTMS machine
Team Leaders: 1-2
Leader workload: 300 min/week
Team Members: if this means how much would be necessary to get the project completed, I'm unsure. Anything from 3-10.
Members workload: 120 - 1200 min/week
Members only? - No
Legal/financial risk: A proper document about releasing responsibility should be enough
Reputational risk: Harder to assess but after all there are some very dangerous other plans (bombs etc) on the web and only a very small minority mess up with them, so
it should be small
ED Oversight: 60-120 min/week
Board Oversight: minimal
Funding Required? - Maybe
Funding Level: $ 500-2000

#3 Dr. Bond

• 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

I would like to see a project promoting the development of non-invasive brain stimulation machines. A few that come to mind are Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation and deep-brain HEG (hemoencephalography).

The Openstim project (www.openstim.org) was to tackle the first but for some (perhaps commercial) reasons, Boyden's team haven't released information about the unit they developed and it hasn't even been reviewed anywhere. The way I see it, many people, including those with electronic engineering skills, frequent this board, so why not make use of those skills? We could all use the extra brain oomh I think (while mood improvement haven't been seen in normal volunteers, increased cognitive abilities have; and then there's the benefit for people like who really would need this to get closer to normality).

I've created a group for the latter but it never got off (groups.yahoo.com/group/deepheg). This might require a bit fancier software to achieve the required resolution to extract brain oxygen measurements from deep in the brain but it might still be a reasonable goal.

OK, ask me questions if you like and tell me what you think of my project idea.

Actually, I think your idea is a splendid one. As I believe I have stated in this forum sometime earlier, I work quite closely and often with William Rogers who is the director of behavioral medicine at the Center for Non-Invasive Brain Treatment located at the Medical Center in San Antonio. The machine/instrument we are speaking of is now known in the U.S. and Western Europe as an "electromagnetic brain animation" generator. The Center, under the auspices of Dr. Rogers now has two fully working prototypes that have as recently as earlier this year undergone multiple successful clinical trials. Since you mentioned it, EBA does in fact alleviate mood under certain geographic and environmental circumstances. EBA has also shown exciting success in alleviation of multiple early childhood to adolescence mental difficulties.

Using a lower level of ultrasound KHz with the distinct advantage of a narrow beam is shot through the skull casing onto a predetermined location of the brain known to be causing cerebral difficulties. An electromagnetic beam is then 'coerced into the pathway of the ultrasound causing it to follow through the same corridor previously 'cleared' by that ultrasound thus making contact with the brain at the exact same location. After manipulating changes in power, stratum and measure of both ultrasound and electromagnetism, the brain surface area to be worked on can be telescoped down to as small as one centimeter. The reason this is now possible relates directly to the ultrasound being enmeshed with the electromagnetism. This ability is one of the major reasons for EBA being the first and only instrument of its kind to have up to 68% success in multiple clinical trials. Electromagnetism, by itself, has a scattered emission field which simply cannot target or treat any brain locale to a volume of less than several tens of cubic centimeters at best. This is primarily where the considerable enhancement of EBA becomes obvious over all other similar mechanism utilized for similar purposes. Dr. Rogers along with three additional scientists and three support staff began this 'impossible task' 9 years ago by selling and hocking litterally all their worldly goods including houses, cars, land, a small ranch and all negotiable tender. They are all now completely broke; however, they have won more than any of them can put into words very well. Whether they are forced to continue alone or whether an outfit with big pockets and a driving desire to lend a hand to all those who so desparately need one to help hold onto so that these young people will get a real chance at a real life; either way, it's going to be a great ride.

EBA Pre and Post Treatment Process

The EBA procedure begins with the patient taking a short battery of test such as I.Q., Achievement, Social Awareness, Aptitude, Bender Gestalt, Memory Recognition, Personality and Drawings. After these are completed the clinician situates the patient in a comfortable full length layback chair which allows for the head to be at a specific location for beginning treatment. Health professionals aim a directional beam of ultrasound on to the skull cap where it remains at the initial location for specifically 3 minutes. While mobile X-Ray tracks the complete process, UltraB [Ultrasound Beam] then powers up and easily slips through the skull bone and onto, for example, a predetermined part of the Hippocampus, Frontal Lobe, and/or Amygdale [which is where most memories and connected utilities are stored]. The ultrasound beam is timed to remain in that same exact locations for 20 minutes with the impact area being as small as one centimeter. Immediately following, a specific power level of electromagnetism is shot through the ultrasound shaft using it as a guide and touches down at the exact same local as the ultrasound. The electromagnetic beam remains at the chosen location for same amount of time as ultrasound. This entire procedure is completely harmless and the patient will feel no discomfort. After the actual treatment is complete, the patient will be asked to take the exact same battery of tests given previously when arriving again two days later for the next process. This is obviously for initial purposes of comparason. Normally, improvement can be shown at a minimum of treatment three times a week for six week. Mean level of improvement ranges from 8% to 11%. Proper systematic exactness is mandatory and maintained when retesting time and time again for a minimum of 5 cycles.

As you are aware, multiple and quite well funded organizations started down this hopeful pathway about 3 years after Dr. Rogers began. He told me as recently as a month ago that all legalities, patent ownerships, trademark possessions, peripheral property territories, FDA adherances and initial mandatory government oversight have all been taken care of. He called two days ago to say he had borrowed a few bucks from his dentist brother and he and his amazing wife Lisa are going to fade away into the Big Bend National Park wilderness for a couple of weeks. I promised him I would not call.

Electromagnetic brain animation (EBA) is a heretofore an unparalleled and enhanced initiative for positive non-invasive animation of brain region neuron activity in correlation with superior biological plasticity and period cellular development related specifically to early childhood target population. A wide variety of mental processes are now known to be initiated, controlled and/or influenced by neural activity in particular regions of the brain. This invention formulates original apparatus mechanisms toward practical application within these stated chronological borders. EBA process, mechanistic specifications, technical inclination, and intentioned group cluster are singular innovations in the field of mental health.

Edited by chrono, 18 November 2010 - 07:31 PM.
fixed quote tag

#4 poser

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Mr. Bond, I've read about EBA. There are initiatives to use just ultrasound to reach impossibly small target areas but I didn't know that EBA has been already in (even) multiple clinical trials.

Tne reason I think rTMS is a good place to start is that it's in our reach to get something finished. Do you have anything to comment regarding that? I mean, I'm glad to hear about EBA's effectiveness but is there any way to use your information in this project?

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

poser, thanks for the proposal, and thanks again for using our outline.

As I understand it, your proposal is to create a team to research the creation of this device?

The proposed budget is not very specific, can you give a breakdown of how money may be spent?

#6 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

I like this project idea - if this will eventually take place, i would love to be involved in this project, as I am very interested in brain stimulation techniques, especially the non-invasive ones.

#7 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

good proposal, i am sure it will give some benefits for us. thank you very much.

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:54 AM

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Action! -> Suggestions & Project Ideas -> Project Ideas" to "Action! -> Suggestions & Project Ideas -> IdeasDewar".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users