• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

hair darkening supplements

hair color hair growth darkening grey hair gotu kola resveratrol curcumin fo ti darkening natural hair

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hello,

I'm new here but I've already read many topics that discussed hair darkening ( without using dyes). I noticed that resveratrol, forskolin, vitamin D3 and copper peptides have something to do with increasing hair pigmentation but I just don't know what is right, what the best combo is,....
I am not going grey yet, but my hair is light strawberry blonde and I would love to have it darker from within, which always feels more natural than dying it. I recently read that an eyelash product called talika lipocils relaunched their product. Now it contains coleus forskohlii which darkened the lashes of all users in trials ( users with light lashes). But there might be other options. I think it would be good if we could discuss it here. Many many thanks

#2 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:43 AM

Hello,

I'm new here but I've already read many topics that discussed hair darkening ( without using dyes). I noticed that resveratrol, forskolin, vitamin D3 and copper peptides have something to do with increasing hair pigmentation but I just don't know what is right, what the best combo is,....
I am not going grey yet, but my hair is light strawberry blonde and I would love to have it darker from within, which always feels more natural than dying it. I recently read that an eyelash product called talika lipocils relaunched their product. Now it contains coleus forskohlii which darkened the lashes of all users in trials ( users with light lashes). But there might be other options. I think it would be good if we could discuss it here. Many many thanks

Well, I've heard conflicting reports regarding hair darkening, but gotu kola + turmeric (whole herb for both, the turmeric source claims ~5% curcuminoids) gives me freaky hair growth @ ~ 9-12g gotu kola per day + ~4g turmeric/day. I only take those and cured polygonum multiflorum (whole root). I'm fairly young, and have no balding, but I'm talking sprouting new hair follicles on my body, especially near large veins close to the surface, or in response to these proliferative injections I get into my shoulders (they upregulate growth factor & stem cell migration near the injection site, so this is a factor, but I had never had the hair growth in response to the shots before taking these herbs). I haven't seen a full gene assay for curcumin, but I know gotu kola upregulates VEGF, TGFB1, BRF1, and FGF1 & 2 by between 60% and 70% (all fall within that range). Curcumin I know upregulates TGFB1 by ~ 60%. It is likely that cellular devision is upregulated when taking these, especially in combination. Both are indicated for wound healing in low doses (~1mg/ml for mice, if I recall correctly). The hair growth is really apparent, but I'm not sure what hair color is a funciton of. To wit, polygonum multiflorum is said to be useful for hair color, but other than being a generally beneficial substance, I couldn't speak to its effectiveness for hair color.

Welcome!

Edited by bobmann, 05 June 2010 - 04:48 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Hello,

Well, I've heard conflicting reports regarding hair darkening, but gotu kola + turmeric (whole herb for both, the turmeric source claims ~5% curcuminoids) gives me freaky hair growth @ ~ 9-12g gotu kola per day + ~4g turmeric/day. I only take those and cured polygonum multiflorum (whole root). I'm fairly young, and have no balding, but I'm talking sprouting new hair follicles on my body, especially near large veins close to the surface, or in response to these proliferative injections I get into my shoulders (they upregulate growth factor & stem cell migration near the injection site, so this is a factor, but I had never had the hair growth in response to the shots before taking these herbs). I haven't seen a full gene assay for curcumin, but I know gotu kola upregulates VEGF, TGFB1, BRF1, and FGF1 & 2 by between 60% and 70% (all fall within that range). Curcumin I know upregulates TGFB1 by ~ 60%. It is likely that cellular devision is upregulated when taking these, especially in combination. Both are indicated for wound healing in low doses (~1mg/ml for mice, if I recall correctly). The hair growth is really apparent, but I'm not sure what hair color is a funciton of. To wit, polygonum multiflorum is said to be useful for hair color, but other than being a generally beneficial substance, I couldn't speak to its effectiveness for hair color.

Welcome!

I've been on foti for some time in the past and it didn't do anything for me. I contacted a couple of suppliers and they said it reverses gray hair but doesn't darken non-grey light hair. Don't know how much they know about it at a contact center.
Did the gotu kola give you apart from sprouting more hair also darker hair? Thanks

#4 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hello,

Welcome!

I've been on foti for some time in the past and it didn't do anything for me. I contacted a couple of suppliers and they said it reverses gray hair but doesn't darken non-grey light hair. Don't know how much they know about it at a contact center.
Did the gotu kola give you apart from sprouting more hair also darker hair? Thanks

on another forum i read that foti alone doesnt do much, but it's a combination of many chinese herbs, anyway, there might be a better solution

#5 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Hello,

Welcome!

So again, I wouldn't know if fo ti had any effect on hair color: I'm 24. However, most of the hairs that I grew were black, and some very very long (like freaky long hairs on my back...which never had hair before this). I'm an extremely low-hair guy, as in plenty up top, can grow it as long as I want, and very thick, but almost no hair on my body outside of forearms and legs. After taking gotu kola, I started sprouting new hair follicles & sometimes really odd looking dark hairs on my back, upper arms, shoulders, chest, stomach, and weirdly enough, a couple on my earlobes. The effect started when I began gotu kola (maybe a month after I started), but I believe it has been greater in volume after I began taking 4-8 grams of turmeric/day. I've since read papers on curcumin's proliferative effects, including on hair, at low doses, so this make sense (I'm taking a very low dose of curcumin, essentially about 200-400mg for an 84kg male).
The hairs that I've grown are mostly dark, however, this effect started before fo ti. I do not think that fo ti contributed much, although it would really be difficult to tell. Fo ti mostly made my muscles seem stronger and more nourished (I felt a deeply relaxing, almost tingling feeling in my muscles when I first took it), and it is definitely beneficial for my mind. However, no hair benefits as far as I can tell.

Edited by bobmann, 05 June 2010 - 11:21 PM.

#6 bocor

• 119 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:03 AM

Hey bobmann can you please tell me which gotu kola product you are taking and how many times per day are you taking it?Ive tried a couple grams makes me sleepy so how do you take 12 grams?Once again id appreciate the brand you take and has your hair on your head grown thicker? or about the same? much thanks!

#7 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hey bobmann can you please tell me which gotu kola product you are taking and how many times per day are you taking it?Ive tried a couple grams makes me sleepy so how do you take 12 grams?Once again id appreciate the brand you take and has your hair on your head grown thicker? or about the same? much thanks!

Hey, the hair on my head is the same, or close enough not to notice, but I'm also young, so don't discount gotu kola just because of that. I take the whole herb, you can choose any reseller you like, I use Frontier Coop's organic cut & sifted herb. 12g isn't that much if you weigh it out. Basically a cheekful to chew on, and a handful in tea, every day. Or if you like, two cheekfuls. There's a bell curve response as far as wound healing is concerned - which is what I use it for - and there aren't any human studies worth speaking of to set correct dose. Experimentation and close observation is needed. If you use the standard conversion rate between mice and humans, which accounts for surface size and metabolic rate, for an 84kg male, I believe it turns out to be like 1/106 the mouse dose. Mouse dose is 1mg/kg (most effective) so I should have roughly 1/106mg *84kg. That's obviously ridiculous, so I stick to what traditional use is, from the best Ayurvedic medicinal literature I can find. It turns out to be the sensible amount, you simply cannot take more in a day without bringing bag fulls with you. 6g's per day seems to be roughly in the middle of the range, from what I recall it's between 4-9g dose mentioned usually. The doses are actually mostly the same for all the main Ayurvedic substances, between 4g-15g (like turmeric, fo ti, x guggul). So I usually stick around 6g, maybe 9g, depends on how I am feeling. I know my body very well, and I can feel when it is appropriate to have more, and when less, like with hunger. It's just my opinion, but I don't think you should treat traditional remedies like the kind of medicine you normally add into your life; don't just try to take it once or twice a day and forget about it. You should integrate it into your life, and respect what you're taking, respect what it is giving you, and respect the process. The ritual won't cure you, but it adds something that will help you achieve your health. I don't know if this will restore your hair - I hope it does - but if you try to integrate traditional healing & rejuvenatory practices into your life, it will make you healthier, stronger, and happier. You'll find that it's not just one herb or two herbs. Start by reading about Ayurvedic medicine, what they recommend based on your constitutional type, research animal trials, human trials, find appropriate dosing, and experiment. I think you'll be able to feel if something is not going well. Also, give it time. I know that this is vague, but medicine is 80% art. Good luck with everything.

Edit: Yes, I know what you mean about sleepiness. In tea it is deeply relaxing, almost gives you a bit of a high. That lessens with time. But chewing on it is quite stimulating. Thai's chew on fresh gotu kola leaves for a pick-me-up. It's not like coffee, it's not overt stimulation, it's invigorating.

Edited by bobmann, 06 June 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#8 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Bobman, you said you started sprouting dark hairs, but what was your hair color before?

#9 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

Bobman, you said you started sprouting dark hairs, but what was your hair color before?

Dark hair color. I wrote that in my post. Again, as I stated in my first post, I was commenting on the growth stimulation of hair follicles in areas other than my head; I have a very full head of hair.

This might be of interest:

http://www.hairloss-...atrol11-07.html
http://www.regrowhai...-for-hair-loss/

These are really lame links, but it might be a place to start. Be aware that curcumin at higher doses reduces hair growth, so I would take a conservative quantity.
Gotu kola works, I really don't care what that study says. However, there's a caveat. The areas where I noticed hair growth were either directly over a surface vein, or in areas where I had platelet rich plasma injections done. I don't think you will have a significant result unless you induce an immune response at whatever area you want this hair to grow. It would essentially mean that you need to induce bleeding or bruising, however you wish to interpret that. Gotu kola does little under homeostatic conditions, but during immune responses it heightens the response. That's actually not exactly true, because upregulates the expression of a cluster of genes that play a role in cellular division, stem cell mobilization, and differentiation of progentiors into mature tissue. Curcumin has some of those effects as well, namely stem cell mobilization via the CSXCR-4 alpha-kemokine, and upregulation of TGF-B1, and has been shown to be upregulate neurogenesis, although I can't recall if that's via increased differentiation or increased # of neural stem cell. Anyways, off topic.

Essentially this: Both Gotu Kola & Turmeric have been shown to upregulate proliferation & differentiation of cells. I have almost no knowledge about what cascade stimulates hair follicle growth, so it would be on you to research that. However, i do know that both substances are proliferative agents, and I know that in my body they induced significant hair growth on my shoulders and upper arms (minor hair growth on the underside of the forearm, and other areas).

Here is the genetic assay for centella asiatica: http://web.mit.edu/b...w/Coldren03.pdf
I don't have one for curcumin. I would start with centella asiatica (gotu kola) and compare the upregulated genes to those implicated in hair follicle growth. Then compare downregulatd genes and see if any of those could block the effect. That will allow you to guesstimate the degree to which gotu kola may affect your case. There are few studies done on this substance, and all of them are in lab animals, and I haven't encountered one regarding hair growth. The one area I would recommend checking out is wound healing. Healing wounds are often associated with newly grown hairs. I guarantee you that gotu kola enhances this response.

Edited by bobmann, 06 June 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#10 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Bah, i'll throw you a bone:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC199257/
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10771470

There's a genetic link between hair growth and VEGF-mediated angiogenesis. Gotu kola upregulates VEGF to 1.68*control (something around there, read the mit assay). You'll get the largest change in angiogenisis if you induce bleeding at the site. This might sound crazy, but what I would do is take gotu kola in fairly high dose (like 9g-12g/day, chewed) for maybe 2-3 months, and then take a needle and poke the crap out of my head. I'd make the holes regular, make sure you sterilize. Don't wipe away the blood, let it coagulate naturally, but make sure you thoroughly clean the site beforehand

However, I don't know what is responsible for hair color. I remember reading someone's report regarding either fo ti (polygonum multiflorum), or more likely, gotu kola. He said that while taking this substance, dark hairs began to grow in, though not all hairs were equally effected, giving his hair line a strange salt and pepper effect. I would assume that with time more dark hairs would grow in, but again, I know very little on the subject. The post was on imminst, so I'd do a search.

Edited by bobmann, 06 June 2010 - 08:41 PM.

#11 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

There's a genetic link between hair growth and VEGF-mediated angiogenesis. Gotu kola upregulates VEGF to 1.68*control (something around there, read the mit assay). You'll get the largest change in angiogenisis if you induce bleeding at the site. This might sound crazy, but what I would do is take gotu kola in fairly high dose (like 9g-12g/day, chewed) for maybe 2-3 months, and then take a needle and poke the crap out of my head. I'd make the holes regular, make sure you sterilize. Don't wipe away the blood, let it coagulate naturally, but make sure you thoroughly clean the site beforehand

However, I don't know what is responsible for hair color. I remember reading someone's report regarding either fo ti (polygonum multiflorum), or more likely, gotu kola. He said that while taking this substance, dark hairs began to grow in, though not all hairs were equally effected, giving his hair line a strange salt and pepper effect. I would assume that with time more dark hairs would grow in, but again, I know very little on the subject. The post was on imminst, so I'd do a search.

Thanks, i've been on fo ti, bought it in bulk, didn't work for me, but i've heard that it's best when you combine it with other chinese herbs. But on the other hand, they're always talking about restoring hair color. There are probably more people that hate their greys than those that hate their ugly light color.
On this forum I've read that someone with a red beard got a black beard after being on resveratrol, maybe a topical solution could handle other hairy areas. Maybe a combo of more things? I justi need more info

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:52 AM

Thanks, i've been on fo ti, bought it in bulk, didn't work for me, but i've heard that it's best when you combine it with other chinese herbs. But on the other hand, they're always talking about restoring hair color. There are probably more people that hate their greys than those that hate their ugly light color.
On this forum I've read that someone with a red beard got a black beard after being on resveratrol, maybe a topical solution could handle other hairy areas. Maybe a combo of more things? I justi need more info

The Italian patent application that bobmann posted said that resveratrol alone (fo ti is very similar) didn't grow hair, but when combined with curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric), it did. There have been a number of reports of hair growth with resveratrol, but it's mostly in the form of odd facial hair. Be that as it may, it looks like there might be something going on there.

#13 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

No one has mentioned yet but my understanding is we still don't have any practical catalase therapies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalase

http://en.wikipedia....alase#Grey_hair

#14 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

I make my own very potent astragalus tincture (everclear and dried astragalus soaked for 2 months). I've been taking 1.5 oz twice per week for about 5 months now. It's a really big dose so I wait 24 hours and follow it with red wine extract and reishi to destroy/block telomerase and telomerase activation. Weird this is, some of my grey hairs are growing in dark at the roots now (the few that I have) and I feel like a million bucks :p

Edited by revenant, 07 June 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#15 khakiman

• 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

to me fighting gray hair and balding is like trying to change your eye color or make your voice sound different. its just your genetic code why try to fight it? yeah you can limit the damage but personally i think its frustrating to fight a battle you're destined to lose.

i suppose to some people superficial appearances affect their quality of life so i can understand it in that case.

Edited by khakiman, 07 June 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#16 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

to me fighting gray hair and balding is like trying to change your eye color or make your voice sound different. its just your genetic code why try to fight it? yeah you can limit the damage but personally i think its frustrating to fight a battle you're destined to lose.

i suppose to some people superficial appearances affect their quality of life so i can understand it in that case.

Grey hair is likely an indication of the status of stem cell senescence. If you can get it to grow back in dark, I think that may be a good thing.

Edited by revenant, 07 June 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#17 maximo

• 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

to me fighting gray hair and balding is like trying to change your eye color or make your voice sound different. its just your genetic code why try to fight it?

Trying to change your natural hair color without dyes is even more of an improbable goal. I don't see how this is possible with supplements.

Getting back to gray, l-methionine isn't often talked about but was mentioned by Dr. Schallreuter, who discovered that hydrogen peroxide turns hair gray.

Professor Schallreuter and her team based out of Bradford University, UK, found that unbound L-methionine (an amino-acid found in some foods) can prevent the inhibition of tyrosinase by hydrogen peroxide. L-methionine may be the missing link that can prevent or even reverse gray hair.

sources:
http://hubpages.com/...d-by-Scientists
http://www.cosmetics...of-graying-hair

Edited by maximo, 07 June 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#18 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

to me fighting gray hair and balding is like trying to change your eye color or make your voice sound different. its just your genetic code why try to fight it?

Trying to change your natural hair color without dyes is even more of an improbable goal. I don't see how this is possible with supplements.

Getting back to gray, l-methionine isn't often talked about but was mentioned by Dr. Schallreuter, who discovered that hydrogen peroxide turns hair gray.

Professor Schallreuter and her team based out of Bradford University, UK, found that unbound L-methionine (an amino-acid found in some foods) can prevent the inhibition of tyrosinase by hydrogen peroxide. L-methionine may be the missing link that can prevent or even reverse gray hair.

sources:
http://hubpages.com/...d-by-Scientists
http://www.cosmetics...of-graying-hair

I've been on melanotan and my natural strawberry grew dark brown. I just don't like the idea of depending on needles to maintain hair color. A scientist told me emu oil penetrates deep under the skin and has an impact on hair pigmentation. Some also advice to add copper supplements though I think it's quite expensive. I wonder if adding ordinary copper supplements have the same impact? Maybe we should also make a seperation between those with grey hair wanting to restore it ( or get it darker than it used to be) and those with light non grey hair wanting to have darker hair growing in. If melanotan can do that, I'm sure other stuff can do that too.

#19 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:46 AM

Wait till you become sick, or feel the effects of aging, you'll stop being so naive. I expect that you don't take advantage of the medical system in any way, since all of your conditions are caused either directly, or indirectly via inability to cope with environmental insult, by your genetic code. What are you even doing on this site?

Edited by bobmann, 08 June 2010 - 04:37 AM.

#20 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

A little harsh, but to true and to the point bobmann.

I agree, you have to revitalise, revive, rev up (I think they all work) your genetics with science and supplements, thats what we aim for ourselves.

:p

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 08 June 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#21 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

A little harsh, but to true and to the point bobmann.

I agree, you have to revitalise, revive, rev up (I think they all work) your genetics with science and supplements, thats what we aim for ourselves.

:p

for some of us looks are important, for others it's not...But don't discuss the psychology of it in random topics. Let's get back to what this topic was started for: hair darkening

It's been proven that forskolin increases pigmentation ( skin and like melanotan probably also hair). We just have to find a way to get it to the follicles: oral? Topical? What dose?

#22 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

Maybe this is interesting to look into:

https://data.epo.org...69&iepatch=.pdf

#23 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Eclipta alba (Bhringaraj), the utmost ayurvedic hair herb. In Sanskrit, the word Bhringaraj means “ruler of the hair”.

It is often used in hair oil with amla and sesame directly applied to the scalp.

#24 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

but does it also work like lotus flower as described in increasing melanocytes from within? Does it penetrate the follicles to produce hair in a darker color?

#25 cherrysilver

• 60 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

There's a 62-page thread on LEF about how to reverse grey hair:

http://forum.lef.org...5&p=001&m=22853

I'd be careful with methionine as it converts to homocysteine which we all know isn't good for our heart. Likewise I'd also be careful with tyrosine, especially if you're on an MAOI.

#26 cherrysilver

• 60 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

There are so many things you can try to darken your hair naturally (supplements, topicals, etc.). You can try them all and see what works. Problem is that it will take time for anything to show up, so serial testing is going to take a while.

Johnson & Johnson filed a patent back in '08 regarding glycerophospholipids to darken skin without tanning. Maybe this will work with hair (w/a penetration agent/dermarolling)?

http://www.freshpate...20080241085.php

Quite personally, I'd put my money on them as they're probably in the early product research/dev stages by now. Now to just find a source for the phospholipids.

#27 someidiot

• 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

From the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
PABA (the b-vitamin) is also taken orally to darken gray hair. Although the exact mechanism is unknown, PABA appears to have an effect on melanin metabolism.

(old study though)
Zarafonetis CJ. Darkening of gray hair during para-amino-benzoic acid therapy. J Invest Dermatol 1950;399-401.

And just in case you want to give PABA a go, i've included adverse reactions/interactions from the database (it's not free unless you can get access to it)

Adverse Reactions:
Orally, nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, diarrhea, and anorexia are the most common side effects of PABA (1074). PABA should be discontinued if adverse effects prevent the patient from eating (10). In one report up to 25% of patients discontinued PABA due to intolerance of side effects (1074). Allergic reactions including fever and skin rash have also occurred (1074). Liver toxicity, including fatal hepatitis has been reported in patients taking high doses (12-48 grams per day) (1061,1094). In one case 12 grams per day for 2 months caused liver toxicity (1094). Although PABA is sometimes used to treat vitiligo, it has also been reported to cause vitiligo (1086). High dose PABA (up to 48 grams per day) can cause decreased white blood count below 4000 mm3 in approximately 30% of patients (1061). Death has been reported in 3 children treated with 24 grams of PABA per day for rheumatic fever or arthritis. At autopsy, all had fatty changes in the liver, kidney, and myocardium (1061).
Topically, PABA can cause contact dermatitis and sometimes paradoxical photosensitivity (272). Some forms of PABA may stain clothing with a yellow discoloration (266).
Interactions with Herbs & Supplements:
None known.
Interactions with Drugs:
CORTISONE (Cortisone Acetate) <<interacts with>> PARA-AMINOBENZOIC ACID (PABA)
Interaction Rating = Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Severity = Moderate • Occurrence = Possible • Level of Evidence = B
PABA might decrease the metabolism of cortisone when oral PABA and intramuscular cortisone are given simultaneously, possibly increasing both the effects and side-effects of cortisone (4488). Dosage adjustments of cortisone may be necessary.
DAPSONE (Avlosulfon) <<interacts with>> PARA-AMINOBENZOIC ACID (PABA)
Interaction Rating = Major Do not take this combination.
Severity = Moderate • Occurrence = Likely • Level of Evidence = D
PABA might inhibit the antibacterial effects of dapsone; avoid concurrent use (266).
SULFONAMIDE ANTIBIOTICS <<interacts with>> PARA-AMINOBENZOIC ACID (PABA)
Interaction Rating = Major Do not take this combination.
Severity = Moderate • Occurrence = Likely • Level of Evidence = D
PABA inhibits the antimicrobial activity of sulfonamide antibiotics. Sulfonamide antibiotics exert antibacterial effect by competitively inhibiting folic acid synthesis from PABA. Excess PABA may overcome the folate depleting effect of the sulfonamides (10). Avoid using PABA concurrently with sulfonamide antibiotics. Sulfonamide antibiotics include sulfadiazine, sulfisoxazole (Gantrisin), sulfamethoxazole (Gantanol), sulfamethizole (Thiosulfil Forte), sulfasalazine (Azulfidine), and co-trimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, Bactrim, Septra).
Interactions with Foods:
None known.
Interactions with Lab Tests:
LEUKOPENIA: White blood cell count might be transiently reduced when PABA is initiated, especially with high doses, but normalizes with continued administration (10).
LIVER FUNCTION TESTS: PABA has been reported to elevate liver function tests (1084). Monitor liver function tests at baseline, one month after initiating PABA therapy, and every 3 to 6 months thereafter (1084).
Interactions with Diseases or Conditions:
RENAL DISEASE: PABA is renally excreted and might accumulate in patients with renal dysfunction (10); use cautiously. Dose adjustments may be necessary.
Dosage/Administration:
ORAL: For vitiligo, pemphigus, dermatomyositis, morphea, scleroderma, and Peyronie's disease, the FDA approved dose for adults is 12 grams daily in 4 to 6 divided doses of the potassium salt of PABA (10). In children, the FDA approved dose is 220 mg/kg per day in 4 to 6 divided doses. PABA should be taken with meals or a snack to avoid stomach upset (10). Since PABA is renally excreted, dosage adjustments might be necessary in renal dysfunction.
TOPICAL: PABA sunscreens come in concentrations of 1% to 15% (272).
Editor's Comments:
PABA appears to have fallen into disuse due to lack of proven efficacy and fears of significant toxicity (1061,1065,1084).

#28 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

My own hair is light ( blonde reddish) it darkened with melanotan though so I am wondering if there is a difference between darkening grey and non grey ( but just light colored hair)
in regards to paba for instance they always talk about: reversing greys, but in the patent you sent me, it's also about darkening skin ( which means increasing melanocytes) so I guess it's for all hair colors?

#29 someidiot

• 43 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

My own hair is light ( blonde reddish) it darkened with melanotan though so I am wondering if there is a difference between darkening grey and non grey ( but just light colored hair)
in regards to paba for instance they always talk about: reversing greys, but in the patent you sent me, it's also about darkening skin ( which means increasing melanocytes) so I guess it's for all hair colors?

Hmm. I'm guessing. I don't know if it will turn your hair dark brown though. I think it may just enhance your natural color (perhaps a darker shade of strawberry blonde?)

With the melanotan, did you notice any darkening of eye color?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Stefanovic

• Topic Starter
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

not if the eye color but my hair turned medium to dark brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hair color, hair growth, darkening grey hair, gotu kola, resveratrol, curcumin, fo ti, darkening natural hair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users