• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is crushed adderall XR equal the same amount as IR?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 martin30

• 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

Sometimes I dont need to take my adderall XR in the morning cuz I do my work at night. The last time I took 30 mg XR at 4:00pm, I didn't sleep the entire night and the next day was just horrible.
I know crushing it in powder makes it like the instant release version, but is the amount equal? If I crush 30 mg XR in powder, do I need to take all of it to equal 30 mg IR, or less like half?

#2 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

I'd assume that if an extended release version gives you about the same effect over a longer period of time, that it has more of the substance in total.

But that's just a guess. I'm sure searching Bluelight would answer this question.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

Sometimes I dont need to take my adderall XR in the morning cuz I do my work at night. The last time I took 30 mg XR at 4:00pm, I didn't sleep the entire night and the next day was just horrible.
I know crushing it in powder makes it like the instant release version, but is the amount equal? If I crush 30 mg XR in powder, do I need to take all of it to equal 30 mg IR, or less like half?

Crushing the beads will speed up the time it takes to reach your system, but IME it takes a bit longer than standard IR. Without getting in to the time-release "technology" of the whole thing, it would be simpler to call your doctor and get him to switch your script to IR or to get an additional script for those short days. Unless of course you are abusing it, in which case you're gonna screw yourself up eventually. I just like to assume that folks on an immortality themed forum aren't abusing harmful substances too often... ;)

#4 martin30

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Crushing the beads will speed up the time it takes to reach your system, but IME it takes a bit longer than standard IR. Without getting in to the time-release "technology" of the whole thing, it would be simpler to call your doctor and get him to switch your script to IR or to get an additional script for those short days. Unless of course you are abusing it, in which case you're gonna screw yourself up eventually. I just like to assume that folks on an immortality themed forum aren't abusing harmful substances too often... ;)

Unless maybe I live in Canada and we don't have the IR version here. Did you think of that? Or does everyone who wants IR instead of XR is an abuser?
Nonetheless, thanks for the first part of your answer.

Edited by martin30, 18 July 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#5 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

I'd assume that if an extended release version gives you about the same effect over a longer period of time, that it has more of the substance in total.

But that's just a guess. I'm sure searching Bluelight would answer this question.

That's not how it works, 30mg IR will give you a rapid peak in effect more intense then anything you would get from an intact 30mg XR dose. Of course it doesn't last anywhere near as long, which is why IR is the most commonly abused from of Adderall and why many countries don't prescribe it at all.

The solution seems simple, just take the 30mg XR at an appropriate time when it's effects will still be present for the work but dissipate by the time you want to sleep. You're just going to have to time it right.

By crushing the XR you're just going to get a bad comedown once it wears off. Yes you'd need to take the whole amount to get effects similar to 30mg IR. But like Distinct said, this is a common route of abuse, so be careful about developing a habit of constantly re-dosing with more crushed XR.

#6 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Unless maybe I live in Canada and we don't have the IR version here. Did you think of that? Or does everyone who wants IR instead of XR is an abuser?
Nonetheless, thanks for the first part of your answer.

Living in Canada and the availability of Adderall IR doesn't negate anything I said, but if I offended you then my apologies.

#7 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

That's not how it works, 30mg IR will give you a rapid peak in effect more intense then anything you would get from an intact 30mg XR dose.

This is definitely true. But I was thinking more in terms of general dosage equivalency, and total AUC. My normal script was always for 10mg IR adderall, which I never took more than one of. I tried 25mg XR for a while, and found that taking half a capsule gave me way too many cut-outs in effectiveness, but on the whole, was about the same strength as 10mg IR. Taking 25mg XR gave a little better consistency, but felt too stimulating to me, much like 20mg IR. But I don't know how it's prescribed in wider practice; perhaps a higher dose of XR is required for an 'equivalent' dose of IR.

I don't know what the half-life of AMP is, so I don't know if the 4-hour consistency I describe from IR is considered the "peak" or not. But I always found XR to be very difficult to get any useful effects from, and more difficult to time later in the day, so I sympathize with the OP. Though I've stopped taking it, and definitely don't need to be convinced of its potential for abuse/misuse, even in a valid therapeutic scenario.

#8 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

That's not how it works, 30mg IR will give you a rapid peak in effect more intense then anything you would get from an intact 30mg XR dose.

This is definitely true. But I was thinking more in terms of general dosage equivalency, and total AUC. My normal script was always for 10mg IR adderall, which I never took more than one of. I tried 25mg XR for a while, and found that taking half a capsule gave me way too many cut-outs in effectiveness, but on the whole, was about the same strength as 10mg IR. Taking 25mg XR gave a little better consistency, but felt too stimulating to me, much like 20mg IR. But I don't know how it's prescribed in wider practice; perhaps a higher dose of XR is required for an 'equivalent' dose of IR.

If you wanted to have a sustained effect equivalent to a 30mg IR peak, then yes, you would require a comparatively higher dose of intact XR in mg terms. But crushed it is much the same as the IR version, so you could expect doses to be similar in effect.

The plateau of the XR version is less intense then the peak of the IR version when comparing equivalent mg doses.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

OK, cool. I guess I half-thought that extended release dosages were given as equivalent to a normal release dose, rather than the true amount of AMP which was then modified by XR technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users