Photo
- - - - -

tretininoin vs topical isotretinoin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

Both are retinoids derived from vitamin A. When used orally isotretinoin has the brand name Accutane and has lots of side effects, topically however is an entirely different matter. The side effect profile might even be a little better than regular tretinoin.

Examples of brand names
Tretinoin: Aberela, Airol, Renova, Atralin, Retin-A, Avita, Green cream or Stieva-A
Topical isotretinoin: Isotrex or Isotrexin

I'm almost out of tretinoin myself and I'm considering trying topical isotretinoin instead to see if it's even better. Here are a couple of studies to get the ball rolling:

Topical isotretinoin vs. topical retinoic acid in the treatment of acne vulgaris.

Isotretinoin also improves sun damaged skin in a similar fashion to tretinoin.

Isotretinoin improves the appearance of photodamaged skin: Results 36-week, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial

Epidermal effects of tretinoin and isotretinoin: influence of isomerism.

The efficacy of tretinoin is well established in the treatment of acne and photoaged skin, however as a typical side effect of tretinoin treatment most patients develop a low-grade irritant dermatitis. Since isotretinoin topical treatment usually shows much lower incidence and intensity of adverse effects than tretinoin topical treatment, histological studies are needed to scientifically evaluate the effects of isotretinoin application on epidermis and also to assess if it can be used in anti-aging products as an alternative to tretinoin. Thus, the aim of this study was to compare the effects of topical use of tretinoin or isotretinoin on hairless mice epidermis, using appropriate histopathological and histometric techniques, in order to evaluate the influence of isomerism on skin effects. For this, gel cream formulations containing or not 0.05% tretinoin or 0.05% isotretinoin were applied in the dorsum of hairless mice, once a day for seven days. Histopathological evaluation, viable epidermal and horny layer thicknesses as well as the number of epidermal cell layers were determined. Our results showed that tretinoin and isotretinoin were effective in the enhancement of viable epidermis thickness and number of epidermal cell layers, suggesting that they could be used for stimulation of cellular renewal. However isomerism influenced skin effects since isotretinoin had more pronounced effects than tretinoin in viable epidermis. In addition only isotretinoin treatment enhanced horny layer thickness when compared to the gel cream treatment.

The last study is what makes me consider switching. "More pronounced effects than tretinoin in viable epidermis" and "only isotretinoin treatment enhanced horny layer thickness" (horny layer is part of epidermis which is the outer layer of the skin which some report thinning of on tretinoin) sounds pretty sweet to me, especially since the side effect profile seems better too. They both seem very similar though and tretinoin has more research behind it than topical isotretinoin. Discuss!

#2 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:22 AM

Obviously the headline is supposed to say 'tretinoin'. Any moderator feel free to fix this and delete this post to cover the tracks of my embarrassing mistake (conspiracy FTW). I'll take a nap now and hopefully awake less sleep deprived.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

The last study is what makes me consider switching. "More pronounced effects than tretinoin in viable epidermis" and "only isotretinoin treatment enhanced horny layer thickness" (horny layer is part of epidermis which is the outer layer of the skin which some report thinning of on tretinoin) sounds pretty sweet to me, especially since the side effect profile seems better too. They both seem very similar though and tretinoin has more research behind it than topical isotretinoin. Discuss!

Updates? or anyone tried isotretinoin long term? Any comparison in antiaging effects compared with tretinoin?

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

Have now used both for extended periods. I think that the iso form leaves a better 'finish' on the skin, despite the peeling effect, which might be as a result of the horny layer, but it is brutal on eye dryness, seemingly much more so than retin - a. I have switch from the iso form back to retin - a for more comparison.

#5 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Have now used both for extended periods. I think that the iso form leaves a better 'finish' on the skin, despite the peeling effect, which might be as a result of the horny layer, but it is brutal on eye dryness, seemingly much more so than retin - a. I have switch from the iso form back to retin - a for more comparison.

When you say isotretinoin is brutal on the eyes, surely you must be taking the isotretinoin internally?

(Can't see how topical isotretinoin could cause dry eyes..?)

I believe aLurker was specifically interested in topical application of isotretinoin.

Wrt oral isotretinoin for anti-wrinkle & anti-sag benefits, very low doses can be taken, i.e. 10-30 mg/week. Side effects on such low doses are trivial.

#6 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

No i am talking topical application. I do quite often get the iso gel on the eyelids, and maybe that results in prenetration through the eyelid dermis into the eyes. But even when I consciously avoid the eyelids I still have dry watery eyes. There is absorption into the tissue near the eyes when you apply to the face, so it is conceceivable that the gel absorbs into the eyes or affects the eyes somehow.

Switched to retin a last night. No watery eyes today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users