- - - - -

Interview With Jan Gruber, Saturday September 4th, 1000 GMT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

I have set up an interview with Jan Gruber who will be conducting Imminst's latest open source research project focusing on Mitochondrial Uncoupling.

The time for the interview is 1000 GMT, which if my calculations are correct, is 5am central US. I will try to conduct the interview over the Ustream channel so as to allow input from the audience. If I am unable to get everything functioning for the Ustream channel, then I will record the interview as an MP3 and it will be shared later.

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

I cant wait to see the interview. Thanks for setting this up.

#3 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

i read the research proposal in details http://www.imminst.o...o=show&pageId=2 yesterday, the project is simply extraordinary: extraordinary simple compared to the goal to test the mitochondrial tfree radical theory of aging ((while optimally testing worm life extension by a mitochondrial uncoupler))

a few questions to link to people and subjects here:
- has he started already on the project?
- would he consider skQ1 is a mitochondrial uncoupler? would it be easy to test it too?
- if he had more money from us, what would he do next/in parallel?
- does he consider that the following settings of mouse life extensions are examples of mitochondrial uncouping: PEPCK, protein kinase C beta, type 5 adenylyl cyclase? http://www.imminst.o...ension-in-mice/
- is there any work that people could do at home to help his lab? we are a lot here

Edited by AgeVivo, 03 September 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the questions AgeVivo! Looks like the Ustream channel is operational.

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

Listen/watch the interview here.

I apologize if I was a little "rusty" during the interview. I didn't get my questions out in a real efficient manner. Dr. Gruber did a great job providing analogies to help explain the research and the difference between targeting free radicals directly and targeting the uncoupling process.

The first few minutes were about his background. He starts talking more in depth about uncoupling and ROS theory of aging at about the 9 minute mark.

#6 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thank you! Among the various answers here is IMHO the most important:

- Dr Gruber explained well his switch from mathematics to longevity-science. We generally don't have the opportunity to restart the choices we did during studies and I think he should be the example to follow for all students here who want to spend their future time towards extending healthly life rather than do some basic paper/enterprise work and discover later that their life would have been more fun in their lab. My note: his move from Germany to Cambridge and Sinpapore is certainly not a coincidence: to have fun / responsibilities / materials in the biology field one has to go where this is being truly developed.

- He explained "mitochondrial coupling" very clearly. The food we eat serves to have proton inside the mitochondria be pumped in the inner membrane of the mitochondria, creating a sort of high pressure of protons within the inner membrane and resulting in ATP (cell energy, normal function)... as well as ROS (cell damage, side effect); ROS especially if "the machine is running too fast".
- why mitochondrial uncoupling could increase lifespan. The goal is of mitochondrial uncoupling is "clean burning". During evolutionary times lack of nutrition/energy was more important than accumulated damage (most animals were not dying from old age). So we are probably not optimized for our current lives, where finding food isn't a trouble but ageing is a trouble to us. Still, we have important mechanisms that protect ourselves against ROS damage, so this theory needs to be analyzed in details. Worms are perfect to study it in details

- If he thinks of one way people at imminst could help at home (data analysis, biosystems...) he will let us know.
My note: there are many highly motivated high education profiles at imminst, they could provide valuable analysis if useful analysis could be done at home

#7 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thank you for the nice synopsis Age Vivo. I agree there are talented minds here at imminst, and it would be magnificent if we could make use of them at home.

#8 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

I asked about other compounds but he did not have enough background to say whether or not they would be useful, but thought they would be interesting for future research.

Great synopsis AgeVivo! And once again, I apologize for my poor interview skills for this particular episode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users