Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Purslane

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

There has been some discussion about the telomerase elongating properties of purslane on the Astragalus thread.
It also extends the lifespan of drosophilia by regulating telomerase length.
I think it deserves it's own thread.

Is anyone trying this, or interested in trying it ?
One source I've found is Kalyx, but they seem to have a bad reputation.

Here's some background info if you're interested.

It seems Astragalus compounds have competition: purslane herb aquenous extracts(PHAS). And for a change, with in vivo evidence for telomerase activation AND increase in telomere lengths in a nice and dose dependent manner.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17764668

In order to evaluate mechanisms of natural plant purslane herb aquenous extracts (PHAS) for neuroprotective, we assessed neuroprotective effects of PHAS at doses of 2.5, 5 and 10 mg/(kg day) on SD mice injected daily with D-gal (50 mg/(kg day)) by behavioral tests. PHAS-fed mice showed higher activity upon induction by new environmental stimuli, lower anxiety and higher novelty-seeking behavior in the open field tasks, and significantly improved learning and memory ability in step-through compared with D-gal-treated mice. We further examined the mechanisms involved in neuroprotective effects of PHAS on mouse brain. PHAS significantly increased superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity and decreased the malondialdehyde (MDA) level. Meanwhile, PHAS also could up-regulate telomere lengths and telomerase activity in PHAS-fed groups. Furthermore, we examined the expression of p21(waf1) and p53 mRNA and protein in mouse brain by western blot analysis and real-time RT-PCR. We found that p21(waf1)was down-regulated by PHAS without changing the expression of p53. The results of this study suggested that the PHAS might be a primary target of p21(waf1)and the neuroprotective effect of PHAS might be carried out through a p21(waf1)-dependent and p53-independent pathway.

From the full text version:

Purslane herb powder also extends the life span of drosophila by regulating telomere length [6].

TRF length was determined using pulse gel electrophoresis followed by Southern blot hybridization with telomere-specific probes.Average telomere lengths were shown in Fig. 3A. Telomere length assay revealed that PHAS-fed groups were longer than those in the controls and d-gal model groups. PHAS-fed group of different concentrations led to resulted in the significant increment of the mean telomere length (Fig. 3B, P < 0.05). We then again evaluated the effect of PHAS on telomerase activity. Our data suggested that PHAS could up-regulate telomerase activity in PHAS-fed groups. Telomerase activity were shown in Fig. 3C. It revealed that PHAS-fed groups had higher than those in the controls and d-gal model groups. PHAS-fed group of different concentrations led to resulted in the significant increment of the telomerase activity.

The relevant research is available from the members area:
http://www.imminst.o...-paper-request/
  • like x 4

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

I have a pretty good crop of purslane growing between the cracks of my patio. It tstes pretty good in salad.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bsm

• 30 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

I posted in that thread that was taking purslane extract from Natural Plantation. I never got the stuff tested but it tastes like purslane(acidic). I purchased both capsule and aqueous extract but I only use aqueous extract because it is more concentrated. I am going to get their face cremes/lotions too.

http://www.google.co...acc0172bed8dab7

#4 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

Like maxwatt, I will continue pulling it from around the house. An interesting note on that subject is that I remember reading somewhere that purslane only takes over the garden in areas with extremely fertile soil. Not sure if that means lots of nitrogen, a good balance, or what, but I planted tomatoes this year in the same place the purslane has been doing so well in, and the tomatoes in that one spot are producing something on the order of ten times the yield of the other areas I've planted them in. So whatever purslane insists on is darn good for tomatoes, too.

maxwatt, maybe you should try planting some tomatoes in your sidewalk cracks next year. :|?

Good stuff in, good stuff out?

#5 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'm quite interested in this, provided it doesn't have any adverse effects or other undesirable mechanisms

Can you elaborate on where they've been given a bad rap, and why? They are the best (or only) supplier I've found of several botanical supplements, and they're vaguely on my ordering list for somewhere down the road.

Edited by chrono, 09 September 2010 - 06:42 PM.
formatting

#6 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Can you elaborate on where they've been given a bad rap, and why? They are the best (or only) supplier I've found of several botanical supplements, and they're vaguely on my ordering list for somewhere down the road.

Seems like most of the reviews on reseller ratings are bad, also there are only a few reviews.
http://www.resellerr...com/store/Kalyx

I don't know how much stock to put in them, because when your purchase goes well, people are unlikely to write a review.

Here's one review from imminst.

found the website that I ordered from the first - and so far only- time.

http://www.kalyx.com...D/10.0/file.htm

Shipping time was quite long. Took 3-4 weeks for the package to arrive and shipping cose was a bit steep as well.

kbtbotanicals might have a better price and delivery time.

Edited by rwac, 09 September 2010 - 08:00 PM.

• like x 1

#7 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

Thanks, good to know, though you're probably right about the bias.

A few more:

'From the Forest' Purslane Tincture - e-mailed asking about solvent

Natural Plantation - Capsules (unspecified dose) and 50g bottle; both massively expensive

KT botanicals: 'Plum Flower' Powdered Purslane - 500g/$7.62 (same product as kalyx for 1/2 price)

#8 lifeguy

• 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:20 AM

This is a great reminder of a very available plant. I will have to go out and "weed" the garden tomorrow night. Hopefully I will still have some amongst the herbs and peppers. If only it were easier to juice, though. Has anyone experimented with home dehydration?

#9 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

I got some purslane from kt botanicals, and took some of it.
Unfortunately, I seem to be having an allergic reaction to it.

Swollen fingers and a rash. Hopefully it goes away soon.

#10 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:21 AM

^^ Sorry to hear about that reaction; hope it got better. How much did you take?

Natural Plantation - Capsules (unspecified dose) and 50g bottle; both massively expensive

I got an e-mail back from the lady who makes this product: "We harvest the fresh organic Purslane (from my Dad's garden) and barely cover it with 80 proof vodka. After 30 days, it is strained and bottled." Sounds like a great cottage operation, though I'm unsure of the relevant solubilities.

#11 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

It seems that Purslane extract also lowers lipofuscin in the brain and liver of the subjects tests. Full article is in chinese but the charts are in english.

Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2004 Sep;2(5):361-3.

[Effects of purslane herb on stress ability of aging mice induced by D-galactose].
[Article in Chinese]

Ling C.

Department of Biology, School of Life Science, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To investigate the effects of purslane herb aquenous extracts (PHAS) on the stress ability of aging mice induced by D-galactose.

METHODS: We observed the survival time to hypoxia and heat survival rate of the mice treated with different doses of PHAS and vitamin E. The contents of lipofuscin and malondialdehyde (MDA), and the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) in the brain and liver of the mice were tested.

RESULTS: As compared with vitamin E, three doses of PHAS (1.6, 0.8 and 0.4 ml/d) prolonged the survival time to hypoxia and the pole climbing time and increased the heat survival rate, and the 0.8 ml/d PHAS had the best effect. In the group of 0.8 ml/d PHAS, the activity of SOD and CAT decreased less, and the contents of lipofuscin and MDA decreased significantly. The effect of vitamin E was not as good as the PHAS.

CONCLUSION: PHAS can prevent the stress ability of the aging mice. One of its mechanisms may be increasing the activity of SOD and CAT, hence decreasing the damage of the oxidation products to the body.

PMID: 15383260 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Full: http://www.jcimjourn...23664706868.pdf

#12 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

It seems that Purslane extract also lowers lipofuscin in the brain and liver of the subjects tests. Full article is in chinese but the charts are in english.

[Effects of purslane herb on stress ability of aging mice induced by D-galactose].

Neat! it would have been nice to know how many mg they were using, instead of a measurement in terms of ml/d.
  • like x 1

#13 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:22 AM

There is a translation of the paper from Chinese HERE but it doesn't really help much.

The original Chinese text is HERE

#14 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:33 AM

There is a translation of the paper from Chinese HERE but it doesn't really help much.

1.1 The whole plant of Portulaca oleracea drugs (dry) were purchased from Shanghai medicine company, according to the literature method of water extraction and alcohol precipitation, containing crude drug made from a concentration of 1 g / ml of water extract of use.

The aqueous solution may actually have been 1g/ml, atleast that's the only conclusion I can draw from this crude translation.
That seems like a lot though.
  • like x 1

#15 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

1.1 The whole plant of Portulaca oleracea drugs (dry) were purchased from Shanghai medicine company, according to the literature method of water extraction and alcohol precipitation, containing crude drug made from a concentration of 1 g / ml of water extract of use.

The aqueous solution may actually have been 1g/ml, atleast that's the only conclusion I can draw from this crude translation.
That seems like a lot though.

Machine translations from Chinese generally cause much mirth among the Chinese I know. I think the concentration refers to the ratio of herb to extract obtained, but I cannot tell. What I gathered with the aid of machine translation is that they specified the extract strength that was fed to the mice, probably in their water. One would have to know how much a mouse drinks per day to try and derive a human dose. Also, looking at the tables, I don't see how they reached their conclusions.

I've forwarded the paper where it will be read by some native Chinese biochemists who might be able to clarify this for us.

#16 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

I've been informed that:

According to your paper, the purslance extract is extracted with water, then deposited with ethanol. The water-soluble parts are used. The strength of the extract is equal to 1gram of purslance herb in 1ml water.

The mice drank 1.6ml/day, 0.8ml/day, 0.4ml/day respectively for 40days.

#17 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Flavones extracted from Purslane can increase Erithropoetin and increases the production of Red blood cells and Hemoglobin. Also, an alcoholic extract is hepatoprotective.

#18 oblomov

• 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

There has been some discussion about the telomerase elongating properties of purslane on the Astragalus thread.

Purslane is rich in vitamin C, which may explain part of the protection of telomerase length:
http://www.livestron...lane-nutrition/

Downside: Purslane is high in oxalates, which are implicated in kidney stone formation.
http://www.sciencedi...f9&searchtype=a

#19 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

Purslane is rich in vitamin C, which may explain part of the protection of telomerase length:
http://www.livestron...lane-nutrition/

Downside: Purslane is high in oxalates, which are implicated in kidney stone formation.
http://www.sciencedi...f9&searchtype=a

The relationship of oxalatge intake to kindney stone formation is not so straight-forward. Diets high in oxalates do not invariably lead to stones, and sufficient water intake may be a preventative measure. Current evidence suggests that the consumption of diets low in calcium is associated with a higher overall risk for the development of kidney stones. This may be related to the role of calcium in binding ingested oxalate in the gastrointestinal tract. As the amount of calcium intake decreases, the amount of oxalate available for absorption into the bloodstream increases; this oxalate is then excreted in greater amounts into the urine by the kidneys.

#20 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

The seeds are very inexpensive right now. I assume the prices will go up once this knowledge spreads. I just purchased 1000 seeds for a couple dollars on ebay. I think I prefer eating them versus using a supplement but I think I'll end up doing both. Also, I picked my yard and found 6-7 plants. From what I read online and some advice I got from gardeners, those few plants should spread and grow until they take over my yard. Hope it's true.

#21 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

The seeds are very inexpensive right now. I assume the prices will go up once this knowledge spreads. I just purchased 1000 seeds for a couple dollars on ebay. I think I prefer eating them versus using a supplement but I think I'll end up doing both. Also, I picked my yard and found 6-7 plants. From what I read online and some advice I got from gardeners, those few plants should spread and grow until they take over my yard. Hope it's true.

But do the seeds have the same effects as the plant ?
I wonder if you'd do better if you just planted a bunch of them, I imagine the seeds will grow tastier purslane than the weeds.
  • like x 1

#22 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

But do the seeds have the same effects as the plant ?
I wonder if you'd do better if you just planted a bunch of them, I imagine the seeds will grow tastier purslane than the weeds.

I meant to say I prefer to grow them and then eat them. I'm aiming to have enough to add a cup a day. There's a huge yard where I live now so I have plenty of place to invade :laugh:

#23 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Purslane seeds against diabetes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21718775

Effects of Portulaca oleracea L. seeds in treatment of type-2 diabetes mellitus patients as adjunctive and alternative therapy.
El-Sayed MI.
Department of Organic Chemistry (Pharmaceutical Biochemistry), Faculty of Pharmacy, Sana'a University, Madbah, Sana, Yemen.

Ethnpharmacological relevance: To investigate antidiabetic activity of purslane seeds on type-2 diabetic subjects and to provide scientific basis for the clinical use of Portulaca oleracea (PO).
MATERIALS AND METHODS: A thirty subject with type-2 diabetes divided into two groups, to receive 5g of PO seeds twice daily while in the second group, their participants receive 1500mg of metformin/day. All participants were requested to report the effects of treatments on diabetic manifestations, their weights, body mass index (BMI), adverse effects, fasting and post-prandial blood glucose during treatment schedule. Blood samples from participants before and after treatment were taken for serum separation, which are used for measurement of serum lipids, liver enzymes, total and direct bilirubin, albumin, and insulin.

RESULTS: It showed a significant decrease in serum levels of triglycerides (TGs), total cholesterol (T©), low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL©), liver alanine-, aspartate- and gamma glutamyl transaminase (ALT, AST, and GGT), total and direct bilirubin, fasting and post-prandial blood glucose, insulin, body weight and BMI while a significant increase in high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL©) and albumin but non-significant change of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) in PO seeds treated subjects. Metformin (M) group has the same results of PO group except in high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL©), LDL©, and ALP levels had a different pattern.

CONCLUSIONS: PO seeds could be effective and safe as adjuvant therapy for Type-2 diabetic subjects. These results demonstrated that PO seeds possessed notable hypoglycaemic, hypolipidaemic and insulin resistance reducer effects; possibly due to its contents of polyunsaturated fatty acids, flavonoids, and polysaccharides.

Edited by DeadMeat, 18 September 2011 - 10:20 AM.

#24 Picard

• 41 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

Would anyone know of a current, reasonable source for Purslane extract? I'd love to grow it myself, but it's not really practical.

#25 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

I took a look for seeds, and what I found was mainly "golden purslane", apparently Portulaca oleracea sativa, not Portulaca oleracea L:
http://www.johnnysee...n-purslane.aspx

I wonder if this variety would also have the beneficial effects being discussed.

#26 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

Here are some extract sources I found with a couple of minutes of searching:

Raw, Wild Purslane Extract - 8 FL. OZ. - $20.99
Unspecified concentration
http://americanwildf...l.asp?prod=0700

Portulaca Oleracea Purslane powder - 1Kg $92.50
Unspecified variety
standardized to contain at least 5% flavones
http://purebulk.com/...racea-purslanee

Chinese bulk purslane extract powder, minimum order 1Kg
Unspecified variety, unspecified extraction and concentration
http://reindeerbiote...act_Powder.html
(many other similar suppliers here)

Portulaca oleracea L 5:1 extract - 5Kg minimum order at $32/Kg
http://www.ebiochem....tract-5-1-18339

Edited by smithx, 30 June 2012 - 01:47 AM.

• like x 1

#27 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:24 AM

Fresh purslane is very high in EFA's. They have it in Whole Foods where I live. Don't cook it. Pluck the leaf clusters off the stems and eat it in a salad. It is supposed to grow like a weed, or is a weed, so a lot of people can grow it, but once harvested, is seems to be fragile. Handle it very carefully.

#28 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

This Page gives the nutritional value of 100g of purslane:

http://www.nutrition...m/purslane.html

Unfortunatly its winter here; so my supply has withered up, but a damn good way of getting free telomerase, omega-3, A, C, and minerals.

Edited by Logic, 30 June 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#29 Picard

• 41 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the help, all. Has the telomerase activation interest has dried up?

If there's a specific reason for this, I'd love to find it. I seem to recall seeing that one such study was retracted.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

Is there a reason that this thread seems to have gone quiet? I thought that this would be a good addition to a telemerase promotion stack. Is this not the case? Is anyone else here taking it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users