• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

New York Times article

http://www.nytimes.c...lth/08brod.html

Two environmental toxins have been found to be elevated in tremor patients: lead and a dietary chemical called harmane that occurs naturally in plants and animals. When meat is cooked for long periods or at high temperatures, as in barbecuing, levels of harmane rise sharply. Dr. Louis called these “tantalizing leads.”

First time I hear of Harmane. Pubmed yields many results but the information is divergent and hard to analyze. I hope they figure out a way to inhibit its effects.

#2 Lufega

• Topic Starter
  • 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

Cancer and blood concentrations of the comutagen harmane in essential tremor.
Louis ED, Pellegrino KM, Factor-Litvak P, Rios E, Jiang W, Henchcliffe C, Zheng W.

GH Sergievsky Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA. edl2@columbia.edu

Abstract
Blood concentrations of harmane, a tremor-producing neurotoxin, are elevated in essential tremor (ET). Harmane is also a comutagen. Using a case-control design, we compared the prevalence of cancer in ET cases vs. controls, and determined whether blood harmane concentrations are elevated among ET cases with cancer. 66/267 (24.7%) ET cases vs. 55/331 (16.6%) controls had cancer (adjusted OR 1.52, 95% CI 1.01-2.30, P = 0.04). Among specific cancer types, colon cancer was more prevalent in ET cases than controls (2.6% vs. 0.6%, P = 0.04). Log blood harmane concentration was higher in ET cases vs. controls (P = 0.02) and in participants with vs. without cancer (P = 0.02). Log blood harmane concentration was highest in ET cases with cancer when compared with other groups (P = 0.009). These links between cancer and ET and between high blood harmane and cancer in ET deserve further study.

I've never noticed how eating meat affects my essential tremor. I'm sure there is a genetic component to this as well. Something that predisposes you to the effects of harmane. Everyone eats meat but not everyone has high levels of harmane or essential tremor. These findings are interesting though. One paper claims maybe the problem is not being able to metabolize harmane. This warrants more research.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Lufega

• Topic Starter
  • 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

Relationship between blood harmane and harmine concentrations in familial essential tremor, sporadic essential tremor and controls.
Louis ED, Jiang W, Gerbin M, Mullaney MM, Zheng W.

GH Sergievsky Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA; Department of Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA; Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA; Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer's Disease and the Aging Brain, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA.

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Harmane, a potent tremor-producing beta-carboline alkaloid, may play a role in the etiology of essential tremor (ET). Blood harmane concentrations are elevated in ET cases compared with controls yet the basis for this elevation remains unknown. Decreased metabolic conversion (harmane to harmine) is one possible explanation. Using a sample of >500 individuals, we hypothesized that defective metabolic conversion of harmane to harmine might underlie the observed elevated harmane concentration in ET, and therefore expected to find a higher harmane to harmine ratio in familial ET than in sporadic ET or controls.

CONCLUSION: The basis for the elevated blood harmane concentration, particularly in familial ET, is not known, although the current findings (highest harmane/harmine ratio in familial ET cases) lends support to the possibility that it could be the result of a genetically-driven reduction in harmane metabolism.

#4 Lufega

• Topic Starter
  • 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

Dietary Epidemiology of Essential Tremor: Meat Consumption and Meat Cooking Practices

Harmane crosses the blood-brain barrier through an active uptake mechanism, and brain concentrations are higher than those in the blood [7] . Laboratory animals exposed to harmane and other heterocyclic amines develop tremor [8, 9] accompanied by destruction of inferior olivary and cerebellar tissue [10] . Blood harmane concentration was found to be elevated in ET cases [11, 12] . Harmane is particularly abundant in meats, and furthermore, certain cooking practices (e.g., long cooking times) increase its concentration.

Edited by Lufega, 16 September 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#5 J. Galt

• 125 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

I find the customer reviews on iHerb helpful in deciding whether to purchase less-studied products of a more esoteric nature (such as this one). After reading this thread, I checked out the reviews HERE, and was sufficiently impressed to order a bottle for evaluation. Will post my impressions in a month.

#6 J. Galt

• 125 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

I find the customer reviews on iHerb helpful in deciding whether to purchase less-studied products of a more esoteric nature (such as this one). After reading this thread, I checked out the reviews HERE, and was sufficiently impressed to order a bottle for evaluation. Will post my impressions in a month.

Oops. I definitely just posted that in the wrong window. Please disregard my comment above.

#7 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

I wonder if psyllium husk cleans out harmane?

I find it helps with my parkinsonism.

#8 Lufega

• Topic Starter
  • 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

I wonder if psyllium husk cleans out harmane?

I find it helps with my parkinsonism.

Not sure. But it sure helps move everything else when eating a lot of protein :laugh:

#9 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Found a chart in this book: http://ca.wiley.com/...1405158751.html.

Beta-carbolines seem to have a variety of effects. The toxic neurologic effects seem interesting (especially since these things pass the BBB). Maybe these compounds in cocoa is related to Parkinson's instead of the isoquinolones (but still unsure if cocoa is actually a causation).

Attached Files

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Found a chart in this book: http://ca.wiley.com/...1405158751.html.

Beta-carbolines seem to have a variety of effects. The toxic neurologic effects seem interesting (especially since these things pass the BBB). Maybe these compounds in cocoa is related to Parkinson's instead of the isoquinolones (but still unsure if cocoa is actually a causation).

If beta-carbolines are a problem, then coffee drinkers should be completely screwed. Looking at the attached table, chocolate looks pretty benign, as does meat, unless you burn it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Here's the rest of the beta-carbolines they tested.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.JPG   74.29KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users