• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is Glutamine a good way of raising GABA in the brain?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

GABA seems to be the one neurotransmitter that is harder to raise.

Would Glutamine work well?

This amino acid isn't talked about much on here, and I did find some research saying it showed a large increase of GABA in rats, I'll try to find it again, but I think glutamine is seriously overlooked.

What are your thoughts guys?

#2 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Oral L-glutamine increases GABA levels in striatal tissue and extracellular fluid

Effects of oral L-glutamine on striatal ECF GABA concentrations measured by microdialysis
Striatal baseline GABA concentrations in microdialysates did not differ (F3, 29=0.05; P>0.05) among the four groups of rats prior to oral administration of vehicle or L-glutamine. Average values were 21 ± 1 nM (43.3±2.1 pg/20 µl).

The effects of L-glutamine (0.5 g/kg) on striatal ECF GABA concentrations, estimated by its concentrations in dialysates, are shown in Fig. 1 A (spontaneous release condition), and B (spontaneous release, followed by evoked release with NMDA). Each data point represents the sample collected during the preceding 20 min. During the first hour of collection, GABA baseline concentrations in each rat were established, pooled, and set as 100%. At the start of the second hour, glutamine or vehicle was administered orally. Two-way ANOVA with repeated measurements (glutamine or vehicle as between-subject factors and time as within-subject factors) revealed that glutamine increased ECF GABA concentrations compared with those after vehicle (F1,9=6.02, P<0.05, Fig. 1A ). The maximal increase (by 30% over baseline, P<0.05) occurred around the start of the 3rd hour (i.e., 1 h after rats received glutamine; Fig. 1A ). NMDA alone (500 µM in aCSF, perfused continuously during the 3rd and 4th hours) significantly increased ECF GABA concentrations, causing a maximal 70% rise (P<0.01; Fig. 1B ). Among animals that had also received glutamine, the NMDA increased ECF GABA concentrations, causing a maximal 120% rise (P<0.01; Fig. 1B ). L-Glutamine treatment increased ECF GABA concentrations under NMDA-stimulated conditions (t=2.68, P<0.05, Fig. 1B ).

Edited by manny, 28 September 2010 - 09:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

I use L-Glutamine supplementation to combat Piracetam-induced brain fog. I have been experimenting with Piracetam and other complementary supplements with good affect for almost a year. I have gone through several "few-day" periods where the affects had diminished or I had brain fog. Coincidentally, in these cases, I had stopped taking L-Glutamine for one reason or another. I am convinced the L-Glutamine brought back the clear-head, focus and heightened sensory affects. Now, I take 1000mg daily in the am and I haven't had the fog for almost a month now. I do take other supplements that work with the Piracetam, so that could be part of the equation also. Lately, I've started supplementing with Magnesium Citrate and that also seems to have a very synergistic affect with the Piracetam.

#4 p4oloz

• 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

I use L-Glutamine supplementation to combat Piracetam-induced brain fog. I have been experimenting with Piracetam and other complementary supplements with good affect for almost a year. I have gone through several "few-day" periods where the affects had diminished or I had brain fog. Coincidentally, in these cases, I had stopped taking L-Glutamine for one reason or another. I am convinced the L-Glutamine brought back the clear-head, focus and heightened sensory affects. Now, I take 1000mg daily in the am and I haven't had the fog for almost a month now. I do take other supplements that work with the Piracetam, so that could be part of the equation also. Lately, I've started supplementing with Magnesium Citrate and that also seems to have a very synergistic affect with the Piracetam.

How many Glutamine and Mg do you take, if I can ask ?

#5 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

Dr. James South said that magnesium would help with the racetam brain fog years ago (if I remember correctly).

Also did you try L-theanine (N-ethyl-L-glutamine) with piracetam ?

Edited by outsider, 07 October 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#6 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

It would sure help. It would be the precurser to glutamte too (an excitory neurotransmitter). Your body would cap both glutamte and GABA though (and balance) if you ate a diet too high in glutamine just as it would if you overdid it with tyrosine, choline and tryptophan. Too much of anything would be counterproductive so if you were to use glutamine as a supplement I would be hasty on taking too much.

#7 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

My (fairly stable) regiman is as follows:
* Piracetam 400mg - morning/lunch
* L-Glutamine 1000mg - morning/lunch
* Mag Citrate 100mg - morning
* B-12 liquid (recommended dose) - morning
* Rhodiola liquid (recommended dose) - morning
* Alcar (only sprinkles from the cap as needed to combat choline headaches)

My goal with these supplements is to keep the piracetam working to its maximum ability. So far so good.

Just for completness, I also take:
* Multi-vitamin (night)
* Omega 3 fish oil (several times a week at dinner when I remember)
* 5-htp 200mg slow release (morning, noon and night) - this predates me taking piracetam by 10 years or so.

Hope it helps.

#8 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Dr. James South said that magnesium would help with the racetam brain fog years ago (if I remember correctly).

That's one I don't think I tried. Do you recommend?

#9 p4oloz

• 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

My (fairly stable) regiman is as follows:
* Piracetam 400mg - morning/lunch
* L-Glutamine 1000mg - morning/lunch
* Mag Citrate 100mg - morning
* B-12 liquid (recommended dose) - morning
* Rhodiola liquid (recommended dose) - morning
* Alcar (only sprinkles from the cap as needed to combat choline headaches)

My goal with these supplements is to keep the piracetam working to its maximum ability. So far so good.

Just for completness, I also take:
* Multi-vitamin (night)
* Omega 3 fish oil (several times a week at dinner when I remember)
* 5-htp 200mg slow release (morning, noon and night) - this predates me taking piracetam by 10 years or so.

Hope it helps.

I've the same goal of you, my stack is:

Morning:
1200 mg piracetam
500 mg L-glutamine
1000 mg omega3
1500 mg Lecitine
Multivitaminic

Afternoon:

600 mg piracetam
500 mg L-glutamine
1500 mg Lecitine

I thinking to add rhodiola and alcar and a B-complex as soon as possibile :) thanks.

Edited by p4oloz, 11 October 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#10 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

Never tried but I'm curious.

#11 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:04 AM

Never tried but I'm curious.

Just to update. I've been taking L-theanine now for about a month. Definite synergy with piracetam for me. Takes the edge off big time. It's part of my stack now...Thanks for the idea.

#12 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

@owtsgmi: How do you cycle your supps from that stack ?

#13 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Things that act similar or actually increase gaba are:-

theanine
taurine
Inositol
bacopa
phenibut (supposed to work really well but can raise your tollerance to it quickly)
picamilon
gaba itself (in some people, read the reviews on iherb, i know a lot of people say it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, but there are many gaba receptors in the body, and it's obviously having an effect on some people)

I think I have heard glutamine too.

Oh and alcohol!

Edited by Imagination, 23 March 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#14 Ketaminous

• 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:36 AM

I don't take piracetam, but I have taken 1000-1500mg of l-glutamine along with daily inositol for anxiety. As far as I understand, the mechanism for anxiety is some kind of GABA dysfunction, and after three or four months of my regimen that seemed to get normalized and I didn't need it anymore. Earlier on I also tried inositol and GABA for this purpose, but found the glutamine to be less "heavy" on the body, without the GABA "pin-prickles" that it can sometimes induce. Based on the studies earlier in this thread and my experiences, I think l-glutamine does raise levels of GABA in the brain-but that doesn't necessarily correlate to an alcohol/benzo/GHB-like feeling. If you have a normal amount of GABA, as I feel I do at the moment, it doesn't really seem like it does much besides induce mild sleepiness and tingles. Now I can take 750-1500mg of l-glut without much mental effect, besides maybe the mental satisfaction of knowing I'm fueling my intestines and muscles.

Than again, diet has to be taken into account, if your diet is normally starved in l-glutamine you might feel the effects of supplementation moreso than if it isn't. I'm gluten intolerant and thus was probably starved of most amino acids and proteins before I started on a strict no-gluten, low-dairy diet. I'm not sure how the body regulates glutamine uptake from the gut, other than that the intestines absorb a fair amount. If anyone has any ideas, studies, or other experiences in this regard it would be helpful.

L-theanine and valerian-related things will help, I just got some valerian root and will be taking it before bed-time to see if it works better than an equivalent amount of l-glutamine for this purpose. Based on my memories it does, but than again GABA-ergics aren't really good in that department, hehe ;)

Edited by Ketaminous, 24 March 2011 - 03:40 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

So glutamine raise glutamate, GABA, and more intriguing to me, taurine in rats brains. Anyone know why taurine is increased?

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6152503

Abstract

The 10-day administration of glutamine (500 mg/kg per day) with the drinking water to adult albino rats with different alcohol motivation resulted in a significant increase in the content of glutamate, GABA and taurine in the brain. The level of glycine was decreased only in the ethanol-preferring animals. The results obtained are discussed in terms of a possible role of the amino acid neurotransmitters, particularly GABA, in the antialcoholic action of glutamine.

Edited by manny, 22 December 2012 - 05:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users