• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Where to start ? Male 20's just became health aware.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mettabutta

• 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hello,

So im a 20 something male, and as the topic states i have recently decided to take action to increase my level of health.
The only problem is i dont really know where to start. Of coarse fresh fruit and veg would be one place to start.

Im looking for some more detailed advice or information. You see i am not that experienced in food preparation. I dont know very many meals and other then veg and fruit, im not so sure what i need.

I have just started doing swimming, and jogging to improve my health. I would like to start working out a bit more with an eye to start training for mix martial arts.
I have also started taking B vitamins and fish oil (epa/dha).

The goal i have in mind is to create a tailored diet that covers all of my essential body processes, with a bit of extra oomf so that i can work out and train, maybe gain a few pounds but increase cardio health while im at it.

Also i have been rather slow, foggy and forgetful as far as cognitive ability's are concerned. So the diet i would like to create must be able to allow my brain to function at its absolute best.
I was looking at nootropics but i have decided that it would be foolish to look at these before getting diet, vitamins and exercise in check.

I expect some 'just google it' responses. And sure thats fair enough, but i dont know what is good advice from jargon and i assume that the members of these boards would have some good advice.

I really would like to be able to have my diet for every week planned out, so that i can order my food online each week.
My personality is such that if i plan it out and have it on paper i can stick to it.
If i go into a store with a rough idea then i may not get what i am looking for.

I have also been looking at whey protein, amino acids and various supplements. But again... dont really know where to begin.
Is there some sort of bible for this?
Amazon has plenty of books but i dont know which ones are recommended

I understand that as i learn more, my diet and supplements can increase in complexity, and i am willing to learn. But i do need a reference point to start off with.
Many thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any possible responses.

Metta

Edited by Mettabutta, 03 October 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#2 Mettabutta

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

I have actually just found a suggested diet, ill post the link here. Please let me know what you think of it.
Also i would like to ask, do you find having a perfect or righteous diet is expensive?
When i look at the following diet i feel like it may cost more then my less then desirable income.

Anyway here it is, let me know what you think, because its where im using it as a first base to start from.

http://www.fi.edu/le...brain/diet.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

I'm basically in the same sitchyation sort of (24 years old). Aiming at a diet to try and weed out anxiety/help with cognitive abilities/bodybuilding/skin/teeth/hair. Really stressful getting a list together, then researching an item only to find that it can spike blood sugar levels or have bad interactions with other supplements/food.

You can't go wrong with green smooties. You might look into a good blender/juicer combo. There's a good blender from kitchenaid which runs around 80-100$. Breville has some good juicers you also might look at.

Snacks are easy enough: Almond, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, chai gel w/ berries. Certain fruits that are actual beneficial and not just loaded with fructose.

Drinks: Water / some types of Teas. Yogi has a good selection of teas w/ organic ingredients in most. They have a tea for damn near anything, calming, bed, libido maybe, KAVA tea, ginkgo, whole list of stuff for relaxation/gym recovery/mood.

Lunch/Dinner: Really depends on how you want to go about this. You will get tiresome with most items, so it's nice to spice things up. Guess it depends on what your limits are, will you eat all meats or just certain meats. Maybe salmon/tilapia/tuna one day, chicken with pasta another day. I would dig into some of the many recipes out there and take out 3/4/5/6 things you like, then switch them up on certain days. Then again this all depends if you're going on a particular diet, or just trying to eat "healthier".

Yes it can get expensive. Especially with the mentions of blenders/juicers in most things out there. Then there is buying organic, will you or will you not. I would search your local area and try to figure out when and where they have a farmers market. Try to find reviews on the best bang for your buck delis/raw milk vendors/fruit,veg markets. There are also a few online vendors that are reputable and MIGHT have cheaper bulk pricing than you would get locally (ie: nutsonline).

Really depends on what your aim is, all around energy w/ bodybuilding on the side (along with training MMA later on down the road since fatigue will be crazy if you do it now). I would probably stick with the 6 meals a day thing.

Hopefully you can get a better response on this. It's pretty difficult, giving budgets and all.

Edited by Kdvwest, 03 October 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#4 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

I have different advice.

Cook/fix all your own food.
Greatly restrict omega 6 oils.
Ensure you get some omega 3 oil, either by eating wild salmon or sardines a few times per week or by eating only the highest quality fats (e.g., grass fed everything). Maybe a small fish oil supplement (probably triglyceride formulation) and/or a small amount of flax seeds can be good too.
Take enough vit D. Probably also good to take some vit K.
Eat a lot of potatoes, sweet potatoes (especially white kind), and carrots. Steaming works well.
Eat a lot of 100% grass fed dairy fat and pasture-fed (i.e., 80-90% pasture fed) eggs if you can find them.
Eat meat, but don't burn it. Cook at low temp for shortest time possible to kill potential pathogens (stewing in water for long time is ok too, especially for tough cuts and bones). When frying, use an herbal (e.g., oregano, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, vinegar) marinade.
Eat some fruits, especially organic berries and citrus.
Eat some veggies, like broccoli (lightly steam), cabbage, mushrooms, squashes. Don't overdo the veggies.
Eat some coconut.
If you drink milk, try to find 100% grass fed raw milk. Same for yogurt and cheese, though it matters a bit less for cheese (cause the whey is mostly gone anyway).
If you eat grains (probably not the best idea), prepare them by sprouting and/or fermenting them. Probably safest to avoid wheat. Buckwheat (sprouted grouts) is a pretty good alternative to actual grains, especially for a breakfast cereal.
Enjoy dark chocolate occasionally.
Eat some nuts, but only macadamias, cashews and hazelnuts (and the later two only sparingly). My choices are based on low omega 6 content.
Drink only water and freshly brewed green tea.
If you want a protein supplement, use a high quality whey powder (organic non-denatured - raw if you want to pay through the nose for it). You can mix it with heavy cream and/or coconut milk.

Edited by Jay, 04 October 2010 - 02:49 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#5 huntingbare

• 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

I'd recommend the food list at Whfoods.com; I don't know what anyone else thinks of this site. But it has a list of 100 or so beneficial foods, the nutrient percentages, and a description of the health benefits they have. Sometimes the site exaggerates things, and other times, check another source like NutritionData.com or something for the nutrient percentages, but generally, that website is a good starting point.

#6 hypnotoad

• 125 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

I have different advice.

Ensure you get some omega 3 oil, either by eating wild salmon or sardines a few times per week or by eating only the highest quality fats (e.g., grass fed everything). Maybe a small fish oil supplement (probably triglyceride formulation) and/or a small amount of flax seeds can be good too.
Eat a lot of potatoes, sweet potatoes (especially white kind), and carrots. Steaming works well.
Eat a lot of 100% grass fed dairy fat and pasture-fed (i.e., 80-90% pasture fed) eggs if you can find them.
Eat meat, but don't burn it. Cook at low temp for shortest time possible to kill potential pathogens (stewing in water for long time is ok too, especially for tough cuts and bones). When frying, use an herbal (e.g., oregano, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, vinegar) marinade.
Eat some veggies, like broccoli (lightly steam), cabbage, mushrooms, squashes. Don't overdo the veggies.
Eat some coconut.
If you drink milk, try to find 100% grass fed raw milk. Same for yogurt and cheese, though it matters a bit less for cheese (cause the whey is mostly gone anyway).
If you eat grains (probably not the best idea), prepare them by sprouting and/or fermenting them. Probably safest to avoid wheat. Buckwheat (sprouted grouts) is a pretty good alternative to actual grains, especially for a breakfast cereal.
Eat some nuts, but only macadamias, cashews and hazelnuts (and the later two only sparingly). My choices are based on low omega 6 content.
If you want a protein supplement, use a high quality whey powder (organic non-denatured - raw if you want to pay through the nose for it). You can mix it with heavy cream and/or coconut milk.

Great advice, although I would take out the part about eating lots of potatoes. Don't see any need for them aside from an occasional change of pace, and I would prefer sweet potatoes over the white variety. I would also add: avoid sugary drinks and juices like the plague. If you must have a soda, I prefer the Stevia sweetened variety (Zevia brand etc) or even aspartame before HFCS. But that's just me :)

Vitamin D intake should be based off blood work, not simply a set number of IUs to take. Take as much D3 as you need to get blood levels to desirable levels, even if it "seems excessive"

I also agree that focusing on avoiding excessive Omega 6 in the first place is far better than trying to ameliorate it by taking fish oil ( only partially effective). That means no seed oils like Canola, corn, peanut oil etc and grass-fed animal product whenever possible. Limiting omega-6 heavy nuts is likely a reasonable idea as well.. but almonds taste so good...

Edited by hypnotoad, 06 October 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#7 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:09 AM

I have different advice.

Eat some coconut.

Great advice, although I would take out the part about eating lots of potatoes. Don't see any need for them aside from an occasional change of pace, and I would prefer sweet potatoes over the white variety. I would also add: avoid sugary drinks and juices like the plague. If you must have a soda, I prefer the Stevia sweetened variety (Zevia brand etc) or even aspartame before HFCS. But that's just me :)

Vitamin D intake should be based off blood work, not simply a set number of IUs to take. Take as much D3 as you need to get blood levels to desirable levels, even if it "seems excessive"

I also agree that focusing on avoiding excessive Omega 6 in the first place is far better than trying to ameliorate it by taking fish oil ( only partially effective). That means no seed oils like Canola, corn, peanut oil etc and grass-fed animal product whenever possible. Limiting omega-6 heavy nuts is likely a reasonable idea as well.. but almonds taste so good...

+1 on above nutritional advices, fantastic information, and I would add the following basic regimen whilst you are reading up on supplements (a lot of reading!)

Vitamin D3 ~5000IU/day (only on days you dont get any sun and make sure to get blood tests after few weeks)
Vitamin K2 MK-7 ~100mcg/day
Magnesium 400mg/day
Fish Oil 4g/day (EPA/DHA)
Partial dose of a good multivitamin (AOR Multi-Basics 3 or LEF Multi)

+ Some form of exercise (resistance is better) 3+ times per week

With the above diet, regimen, and exercise, you are well on your way to "perfect baseline health" which is the ideal starting point to enhancement/tweaking/life-extension through lifestyle factors like diet, meditation, exercise, and supplementation including more exotic areas to explore such as cognitive enhancement through nootropics, etc.

#8 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Was wondering if you could clarify on these types of nuts a bit. Was trying to get my facts together on a good ratio omega 3/6 diet that was mentioned and keep getting hung up on nuts/seeds. A lot seem good for you, but contain a high omega 6 to 3 ratio. Ive been using nutrition data from self.com. Do the benefits out-weight the omega 6 content in these? I was looking into brazilnuts, maybe 1 a day just for certain mineral contents.

cashews, raw
macadamias, raw
brazilnuts

Thanks. :~

#9 Mettabutta

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

I just wanted to update with a few things.

I have a new coffee machine, which has helped me get up and started in the morning (a challenge for some), and have been reading plenty on nutrition from a martial arts point of view.

I am starting to find a path through the different diets and opinions out there by eating and training as a martial artist would, minus the fighting.
This seems to b something i can follow and understand, rather then going paleo or CR.. a fighters diet is aiming for specific goals that fall in line with mine. Be it cardio, strength ect.

I have been going swimming too though not quite as often as i should be, i prefer it to running as its easier on the joints.
Ive started to use EPA/DPA fish oil supplements as well as a B complex supplement too.

Mentally im noticing a slight improvement, im not sure if its the diet, exercise or the fish oil/b complex.
I would like to try Piracetam and a choline source, but cannot afford such things right now.

Is there anything to recommend?

Namaste.

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

Don't overdo the veggies.

And I thought you guys crazy when you made such a deal out of 'evil fructose and fruits'. But veggies? I did not know you had gone completely hyperlipid? Or maybe I am just confusing you with someone else, but still it makes the hobby nutritionist in me cry a little. ;)

As far as supps are concerned, Drop the Bs and take about half the doses you have been recommended or less, i.e. 50% of:
"Vitamin D3 ~5000IU/day (only on days you dont get any sun and make sure to get blood tests after few weeks)
Magnesium 400mg/day
Partial dose of a good multivitamin (AOR Multi-Basics 3 or LEF Multi)"

as e.g. a not so terrible diet could provide 600mg+ Mg all by itself, fish oil is even worse than ebil-oxidizing-PUFA in that regard and generally shows not much effect above ~300mg EPA/DHA and so on and so forth (yep, safer & it will save money)

Edited by kismet, 25 October 2010 - 11:46 PM.

• like x 1

#11 Mettabutta

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

As far as supps are concerned, Drop the Bs and take about half the doses you have been recommended or less, i.e. 50% of:
"Vitamin D3 ~5000IU/day (only on days you dont get any sun and make sure to get blood tests after few weeks)
Magnesium 400mg/day
Partial dose of a good multivitamin (AOR Multi-Basics 3 or LEF Multi)"

as e.g. a not so terrible diet could provide 600mg+ Mg all by itself, fish oil is even worse than ebil-oxidizing-PUFA in that regard and generally shows not much effect above ~300mg EPA/DHA and so on and so forth (yep, safer & it will save money)

:blink: Why drop b vitamins? Whats wrong with fish oil (epa/dha). Im not sure what ebil-oxidizing-PUFA is.

I might just state for the record, i would like to take less supplements by having a proper diet.
Im looking to just take the most essential vitamin's or supplements. Ones that i might not be able to achieve with proper diet or ones might be significantly beneficial.

B vitamin's combined with fish oil have had a noticeable effect but that could also be my improved diet and exercise routine.

I have limited funds and a proper diet alone is taxing on my piss poor wage, yet i want to make sure im getting what ,my body needs. Im tired of being tired, im bored of being listless and zest-less.
I want my attention span and mental agility back.
Anything i can do to stabilize moods and energy levels is good.

Thank you every one for the responses, i will continue to use this thread as a place to update and discuss my progress.
Feel free to recommend advice or opinions, but i appreciate source's also.

Namaste!

:-D

Edited by Mettabutta, 26 October 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:30 AM

In my experience it has been important to cycle certain kinds of foods, such as dairy, fish and certain fruits. The constants that remain are lots of green vegetables, eggs (if possible the 1:1 ratio of o-3 and o-6 variety, which I sometimes consume an entire dozen of in one day) whey protein and healthy sources of fats, macadamia nuts, spanish EVO, etc. I guess the theme is still low carb but the question is HOW low carb. Right now I am somewhere between 50 and 70 grams of carbs a day, depending on the day and how much of certain foods are consumed. The highest carb foods I eat are bananas and sweet potatoes, but I do not eat them in the same day, I generally pick one and what I try to do most days is eat the highest carb foods in the beginning of the day and then gradually eat foods that are lower and lower in carbs till the end of the day, where it is preferable not to have fat storage in the cells from insulin response over night. This schematic would look something like:

wake up, eat a banana, an omelette made of eggs, raw cheese, some portobello mushrooms and a spoon of EVO over it with a spoon of tomato paste. Take supplements etc

Exercise maybe an hour later, then proceed with daily activities then have A whey protein shake with either half a cup of coconut milk or half a cup of heavy cream.

Later in the day eat some macadamia nuts, maybe about 15 or so and 2-3 blocks of 85% dark chocolate (for some reason the 90% lindht chocolate is higher in carb then the 85%). Take more supplements etc

hour or two later eat some kind of fish with vegetables like fresh parsley, kale, spinach, etc. I usually go for salmon but lately have been eating a bit of mackerel (I sure hope it is safe) or i'll mix two different kinds of fish, or i'll have shrimp. A little while later i'll have another whey protein shake as mentioned earlier.

After this, toward the end of the night I might eat another 7 or 8 eggs, generally soft boiled and add quarter stick of butter to them in a bowl with some spices.

Some days I drink a glass or two of red wine an hour or so prior to sleep.

I seem to be okay doing this.

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:52 AM

I would say I take in about 130 grams of protein a day (some days a little more, some days a little less). Which I think is good for maintaining a little muscle. I won't be emaciated as when I was consuming a mere 70 grams of protein a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users