- - - - -

Rasagiline Log

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hello :)

Rasagiline. I'm taking it at the moment and thought I would make a log of my experience on the medication. This is partially due to encouragement from Chrono whom I've found to be an extremely informative poster, so here I am, putting something back into the forum myself.

Posted Image

From the manufacturer's prescriber information:

"...Mechanism of action: Rasagiline was shown to be a potent, irreversible MAO-B selective inhibitor, which may cause an increase in extracellular levels of dopamine in the striatum. The elevated dopamine level and subsequent increased dopaminergic activity are likely to mediate rasagiline's beneficial effects seen in models of dopaminergic motor dysfunction. 1-Aminoindan is an active major metabolite and it is not a MAO-B inhibitor..."

"...Absorption: Rasagiline is rapidly absorbed, reaching peak plasma concentration (Cmax) in approximately 0.5 hours. The absolute bioavailability of a single rasagiline dose is about 36%..."

I've lost the information on how long and to what degree Rasagiline inhibited MAO-B. If someone finds it, could you send me a copy ? :)

When I had this information, though, I came to the decision to take two 0.5mg doses spread out evenly over a week like period considering my previous experience with selegiline, and a comparison of the degree to which both compounds inhibited MOA-B.

The log:

(Disclaimer: I am literally typing in how I felt. My prose will be a bit raw as, a: I'm lazy and you shlubs can get what you will out of this and, b: I want to be as open as possible. You should know though that nothing of what I write here could be due to Rasagiline. Although I am taking it alone in order to isolate its affects, everything here could be my imagination or any number of I'm sure a million factors that influence human perception. Oh and I'll be using my 2 years of Selegiline experience as a base for comparison.)

Day 1:

This feels like a cleaner version of the "Selpryl" liquid Seleg. Cit. that I had been taking about 4 months ago. I can't be sure that it's due to the relative strength (or, of course weakness) of the dose I've taken, however.

My focus was a bit off. I felt a bit more social. The most striking feeling though was how stimulated I felt. I worked late into the late and was still alert. I feel a little bit manic. Manic but focused. Not too happy though :(.

Day 2:

Took another dose today (adjacent to day 1) which goes against my initial dosing programme. Similar feeling to day one in terms of stimulation but today I feel like I have a lot of emotional energy, and... I feel happier than yesterday. I feel stronger socially too. No aggressiveness, shortness of temper or afternoon sleepiness which is interesting.

27/10/10:

I have been feeling great over the last few weeks. I have a more positive attitude and I can feel some of my motivation returning to me.

When I quit Selegiline a few months ago it was because although it gave me motivation, it also enhanced my pleasure seeking to a point where it was hard to resist pleasurable procrastination and, I'm sure, the dopamine hit it would give me.

I am trying to be more disciplined now. I know that MOA-B inhibition will mean that that which I find rewarding will give me more pleasure, however, as that also includes activities that are unproductive, I have to be cautious.

The usual feeling of a higher catecholamine levels has returned. My sleep is disturbed, I am more irritable and much more alert. As these symptoms passed when I was on selegiline, I'm going to ignore them and push on with the hope that they will diminish.

I can't be sure so far if my concentration has improved. Socially I am better though. Talking to people especially is more rewarding and, when before I would become bored after speaking to someone for longer than a minute, and to continue the conversation would require an increasing amount of mental effort and concentration, I'm now more easily able to talk to someone, even about subjects that are not directly related or of interest to me.

Update 11 DEC 2010

Well... I definitely didn't update as much as I was hoping that I would.

The rasagiline is working. Increased DA saturation has been written about extensively before on this forum so I won't wax lyrical on it, but, I'm enjoying it!

I wish I knew why, but the feeling is definitely different to selegiline. This could however however have something to do with the high degree of MAO inhibition caused by my specific does of Rasagilne.

I've increased my dose to 0.5 mg everyday. I have no MAOI-A, or at least I don't believe I do as I've been consuming some pretty tyramine heavy foods lately and have felt no ill effect.

No bad effects to report as yet. I don't feel like building orphanages, but I still feel better than before I took it.

Edited by chrono, 10 December 2010 - 06:50 PM.
update

• like x 7

#2 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

At doses above 2 mg/day, rasagiline begins to lose its selectivity, but no significant interaction problems have been reported as of yet. Is rasagiline being taken monotherapeutically, or are there agents that you're concurrently using? If it matters, I can attest for the limited interaction problems at doses of 2 mg/day, but I imagine user experiences vary, so I would proceed slowly.

Edited by chrono, 24 October 2010 - 12:57 AM.
trimmed quote

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ben

• Topic Starter
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

At doses above 2 mg/day, rasagiline begins to lose its selectivity, but no significant interaction problems have been reported as of yet. Is rasagiline being taken monotherapeutically, or are there agents that you're concurrently using? If it matters, I can attest for the limited interaction problems at doses of 2 mg/day, but I imagine user experiences vary, so I would proceed slowly.

Total mono-therapy. After a month or so, depending on whether I like it, I'm going to add my previous regimen in back slowly, and, for the sake of caution, assume that it isn't totally selective.

#4 bran319

• 175 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

Very interested in how you fare with this.

#5 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

I moved the posts about sourcing rasagiline to the current retailer/product thread for that topic. Also be sure to note Ark's DPR/RAS comparison in that thread.

Thanks for keeping this log, Ben. A few people here have taken ras, but not much info is available about how it compares to deprenyl. A great contribution. It would be nice to hear more details about your reactions to DPR as well, if there's anything you haven't mentioned so far in the course of your comparisons. I seem to recall that 1mg RAS was considered roughly equal to 5mg DPR, but I didn't make note of where I read that, and I seem to recall the existence of several different scaling factors.

I'm also wondering about the twice-daily dosing. What was your dosage/frequency for DPR? It's my understanding that the irreversible MAO inhibition shouldn't depend very much on constant plasma levels, but the catecholamine activity enhancement properties may be a different story. Might be worth thinking about trying once-daily dosing in the morning if it's interfering with your sleep, at least to see if there's any differences either way.

And thanks for the compliment, it made me smile :-D Glad someone finds my posts helpful, lol.

#6 Ben

• Topic Starter
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

I seem to recall that 1mg RAS was considered roughly equal to 5mg DPR, but I didn't make note of where I read that, and I seem to recall the existence of several different scaling factors.

I'm also wondering about the twice-daily dosing. What was your dosage/frequency for DPR? It's my understanding that the irreversible MAO inhibition shouldn't depend very much on constant plasma levels, but the catecholamine activity enhancement properties may be a different story. Might be worth thinking about trying once-daily dosing in the morning if it's interfering with your sleep, at least to see if there's any differences either way.

And thanks for the compliment, it made me smile :-D Glad someone finds my posts helpful, lol.

Haha, not at all.

Did I say twice daily? If I did, I meant twice weekly, my understanding is similar to yours in that the inhibition is irreversible so there's not much point in daily dosing. Also, from the manufacturers info. the effect lasts quite a long time making subsequent doses overlapping, if taken within two weeks of each other.

I've now increased my dose to 0.5mg 3 times a week. I'll keep it there for a while and experiment with a bit more later.

I hope the sleep disturbance is transitory. I can't really pin it on the RAS too as there are a few other factors that could really affect my sleep.

#7 Morphy

• 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Bump.

Revisiting your log Ben, do you have any further input on your rasagiline experience? Do you still dose 0.5mg/3x/week? You've stated that you've consumed a couple years long worth of selegiline. It's been about 3 and half years since your starting of rasagiline, so have you continued or discontinued the drug? If you have continued, have you found it wise to take breaks?

#8 juverulez

• 22 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

Bump indeed

#9 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

im curious too. anyone else have used selegeline and rasagiline and compare the two positive and negative??

• Good Point x 1

#10 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

I'll change selegiline for rasagiline in a following months, and will let you guys know about my results.

If you look closely you will see that on October 27, 2010 he was using 0.5mg 3 times per week. He then update his first post, 2 months later on 11 of December 2010, where he stated that he was then taking 0.5mg/day. Which means if things haven't change he is still at .5mg/day.

Edited by noot_in_the_sky, 13 January 2015 - 03:15 AM.

#11 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

I have been taking .5mg/day(5 to 6 days per week) of rasagiline for about 4 months now, and I can say that it's been all going well.  I haven't notice any negative side effects; in fact, I like it more than selegiline. Probably because of  selegiline's metabolites I seem to have trouble sleeping, especially, if I took it more then 4 days/wk @ 2.5mg/day.  I also like the fact that I don't need to leave it under my tongue for a while.

So if anyone is looking to use rasagiline I would definitely recommended.  Now, I have been thinking on perhaps using 1.25mg of selegiline as needed for energy in those very busy days. 

There's also this study posted by LexLux, which support the idea of using both together -at least every now and then:

Revelation in the neuroprotective functions of rasagiline and selegiline: the induction of distinct genes by different mechanisms.

In Parkinson's disease, cell death of dopamine neurons in the substantia nigra progresses and neuroprotective therapy is required to halt neuronal loss. In cellular and animal models, selegiline [(-)deprenyl] and rasagiline, inhibitors of type B monoamine oxidase (MAO)-B, protect neuronal cells from programmed cell death. In this paper, the authors review their recent results on the molecular mechanisms by which MAO inhibitors prevent the cell death through the induction of antiapoptotic, prosurvival genes. MAO-A mediates the induction of antiapoptotic bcl-2 and mao-a itself by rasagiline, whereas a different mechanism is associated with selegiline. Rasagiline and selegiline preferentially increase GDNF and BDNF in nonhuman primates and Parkinsonian patients, respectively. Enhanced neurotrophic factors might be applicable to monitor the neurorescuing activity of neuroprotection.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23739004

Edited by noot_in_the_sky, 28 June 2015 - 10:03 PM.

#12 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

isnt rasagaline like hundreds of dollars for like 30 pills??

#13 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

You can get 30pills for 12.99 + shipping in ADC. 

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

adc.... adc... this name escapes me somehow...

#15 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

adc.... adc... this name escapes me somehow...

All Day Chemist.

#16 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

Bump!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:31 AM

What would the benefit of using Rasagine be over say something like ropinirole?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users