• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

5 HTP bad sexual side effects -Counteract??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 burgboc

• 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:56 PM

I've been playing around with dosage and timing of 5HTP and it seems 50mg is the dosage that helps me with restful sleeping most consistently. I have not established a best time yet. But I'm getting some very bothersome sexual side effects.

My libido hasn't be really lowered yet (perhaps its too early, or the 500-1000mg of Maca I take counteracts this) but my erections are a lot softer and are difficult to maintain. Getting an erection in itself is a LOT more difficult. The difference is NOTICEABLE to say the least so I NEED to counteract this if I'm going to keep on taking 5htp and frankly I NEED 5htp for sleep, mental energy, depression etc as well. I got off SSRI's for similar reasons, just worse (plus a bunch of other side effects)

What can I do/take to counteract the negative effects of 5htp on erections?

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

Maybe try taking Melatonin instead of 5-HTP for sleep so you don't have this side effect?

The only "side effect" I get from 5-HTP is weird dreams.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

all serotonogenic drugs have sexual side effects.

#4 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

^ that is true, it Serotonin soothers the Dopaminergic and the Adrenergic system (responsible for arousal)
Serotonin activation also causes Prolactin increase which prolongs the refractory period.

Dopamine precursors or agonists would be the best bet to counteracts these side effects.. but they do have a down side too..
Try selegiline :)

Edited by Advanc3d, 04 November 2010 - 10:18 PM.

#5 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

all serotonogenic drugs have sexual side effects.

For many this is true, not me though. I think I have some kind of impenetrable out of control bipolar libido. Can't blame it all on being bipolar, at least that's what I'd like to think. Prozac did make me last much longer, so did Zoloft at times, but my libido and sexual function remained that of a nineteen year old through my lower and mid 30s.

#6 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Have you ever tried SJW for depression? Perika, Kira, or New Chapter's SC27 or Serofin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Elusive

• 103 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have taken 5HTP off and on but now i take it regularly. I never had this erection problem...and for a very good reason. I believe that 5HTP is a very novel supplement but it must be used very intelligently and with restraint or you get a dead dick syndrome...lol
I take my multivitamin in the morning with some addtional vit C at breakfast and the open 3 capsules and pour them in the palm of my hand (Ginkgo around 30mg, 5HTP between 5 and 10mg and 20mg of GotuKola). I take that on top of my multi. I also take addtional 300IU of D3 as well with all this. I do go off 5HTP for 3 or 4 days if i feel its a little too much of it now but i dont really get any side effects as such to begin with. I keep changing my regimens often so my body doesn't get used to one kind of routine. I keep adding and deleting some stuff here and there like resveratrol or ashwagandha etc. And i believe in the minimum effective dosage philosophy. This kind of 5HTP has worked wonders for me, i dont know if it will be helpful for others. For me long term intake of 5HTP must be in this range so i can cum at will with my ladies and impress them with my ejaculatory control...lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users