• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Coffee

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: How regularly do you drink coffee (109 member(s) have cast votes)

How regularly do you drink coffee (and more importantly why)

1. Never - it is damaging my goals of life extension (3 votes [2.75%])

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

2. Never - I simply dislike the taste (7 votes [6.42%])

Percentage of vote: 6.42%

3. Never - other (14 votes [12.84%])

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

4. Light use (0<x<= 2 cups daily) - as an indulgence or social ritual (21 votes [19.27%])

Percentage of vote: 19.27%

5. Light use (0<x<= 2 cups daily) - specifically for its functional effects (33 votes [30.28%])

Percentage of vote: 30.28%

6. Light use (0<x<= 2 cups daily)) - other (12 votes [11.01%])

Percentage of vote: 11.01%

7. Heavy use (>= 5 cups daily) for enjoyment of the beverage (7 votes [6.42%])

Percentage of vote: 6.42%

8. Heavy use (>= 5 cups daily) functional use for stimulation (11 votes [10.09%])

Percentage of vote: 10.09%

9. Heavy use (>= 5 cups daily) other (1 votes [0.92%])

Percentage of vote: 0.92%

Vote

#1 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

If you'll forgive the rather unscientific nature of the poll, I'm just a little curious about Imminst's coffee habits.

Edited by Centurion, 21 November 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

Love coffee! Pretty much the first thing I do when I get up is make me a strong cup of dark french roast. I only drink Peace coffee.

The peace coffee website:

http://www.peacecoffee.com

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jackdaniels

• 73 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

Don't mind the taste, but I rarely consume it as shortly after drinking it I get tired and suffer headaches.

#4 motif

• 107 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

coffee smells good, and that's the end of good things.

#5 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Eww! ^^ too bad I can't put multiple choices.

#6 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

http://www.scienceda...01123101751.htm

#7 motif

• 107 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

right, you wish...
  • dislike x 2

#8 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

Strong green tea is much better: http://www.jacn.org/...bstract/29/1/31
Weaker study: http://www.jneurosci...full/27/22/5869

I'm supposed to abstain from caffeine due to increased blood pressure. (apparently unresponsive to ACE... idiopathic?)

#9 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

right, you wish...

wish what? You think it's innacurate or something?
  • like x 1

#10 motif

• 107 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

how about crappucino?

Indonesia's velvety tasting brew, Kopi Luwak, gives new meaning to rich coffee. It can cost up to $50 per cup.

The reason the supply is limited has to do with how the beans are initially processed. Just a warning here, it isn't pretty...

most expensive coffe

#11 mia22

• 52 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

I like coffee but it's much more jolting on the body than tea. I think it's fine as long as you don't drink it like Teddy Roosevelt(think he drank like a gallon a day or something!). Moderation is key.

#12 strake

• 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Why no 3<=x<=4 option?

I drink about this much, since I love coffee, and plus, I'm hooked and can't do aught otherwise.

#13 vato

• 25 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

sure the polyphenols can be great to health from coffe, but why get em from coffee? i prefer get them from cocoa, i don't need the caffeine.. therefore i prefer theanine :)

#14 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

sure the polyphenols can be great to health from coffe, but why get em from coffee? i prefer get them from cocoa, i don't need the caffeine.. therefore i prefer theanine :)

Do you ever cycle your cocoa? I get tolerant to mine.
I enjoy the 'occasional' cup of coffee. Maybe one every few days. The caffiene crash is not something I enjoy that much although I do very much enjoy the taste of coffee. That's one thing cocoa has going for it there doesn't appear to be that much of a crash. In fact when I take it I'm still high 12hrs later! lol

#15 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

This poll is biased towards coffee being a negative. As mentioned earlier there are plenty of anti-oxidants in coffee and in reasonable moderation could be helpful to life extension (being part of a healthy lifestyle). If you are drinking it to be 'functional' then you have issues that need sorting out without the aid of a caffiene enhancer.

Edited by Thorsten, 27 December 2010 - 02:41 PM.

• like x 1

#16 vato

• 25 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

cocoa, i'm just taking it for the polyphenols, i don't find any real stimulating effect from it. what really stimulates me mentally is BHB

#17 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Caffeine is good, apart from immediate stimulant effect.

The main negative is the increase in large ldl from cafestol in un paperfiltered coffee (the not tasty kind), but even that has good effects on other systems.

#18 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

You can pry my coffee from my warm dead fingers. Unless you find me dead after my coffee cools off, then my fingers will be cold or lukewarm.

The health benefits of moderate coffee consumption outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

#19 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

Eur J Epidemiol. 2011 Feb 6. [Epub ahead of print]
Effect of coffee consumption on all-cause and total cancer mortality: findings from the JACC study.

Tamakoshi A, Lin Y, Kawado M, Yagyu K, Kikuchi S, Iso H.

Department of Public Health, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, 21 Karimata, Yazako, Nagakute-cho, Aichi-gun, 480-1195, Japan, tamaa@aichi-med-u.ac.jp.
Abstract

Coffee consumption is known to be related to various health conditions. Recently, its antioxidant effects have been suggested to be associated with all-cause or cancer mortality by various cohort studies. However, there has been only one small Asian cohort study that has assessed this association. Thus, we tried to assess the association of coffee with all-cause and total cancer mortality by conducting a large-scale cohort study in Japan. A total of 97,753 Japanese men and women aged 40-79 years were followed for 16 years. Hazard ratios and 95% confidence intervals of all-cause and total cancer mortality in relation to coffee consumption were calculated from proportional-hazards regression models. A total of 19,532 deaths occurred during the follow-up period; 34.8% of these deaths were caused by cancer. The all-cause mortality risk decreased with increasing coffee consumption in both men and women, with a risk elevation at the highest coffee consumption level (≥4 cups/day) compared with the 2nd highest consumption level in women, although the number of subjects evaluated at this level was small. No association was found between coffee consumption and total cancer mortality among men, whereas a weak inverse association was found among women. The present cohort study among the Japanese population suggested that there are beneficial effects of coffee on all-cause mortality among both men and women. Furthermore, the results showed that coffee consumption might not be associated with an increased risk of total cancer mortality.

PMID: 21298466

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 17 March 2011 - 02:20 AM.

• like x 4

#20 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:49 AM

Can coffee/tea/ any other diuretic cause your bones to weaken?

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

I don't think that's a problem with diuretics generally, Actually, it probably is. Caffeine, excessive sodium, and alcohol all exert negative effects on calcium balance. There might be some "clean" diuretics that are ok. Cola drinks can weaken bones due to the phosphoric acid content, and chocolate is epidemiologically associated with decrease in bone strength, most likely due to oxalate. For bone strength, be sure to get enough calcium, magnesium, silicon, and vitamins D and K.

Edit: Re-thought the diuretics, added ref.

Edited by niner, 06 April 2011 - 03:08 AM.

• like x 1

#22 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

I don't think that's a problem with diuretics generally, Actually, it probably is. Caffeine, excessive sodium, and alcohol all exert negative effects on calcium balance. There might be some "clean" diuretics that are ok. Cola drinks can weaken bones due to the phosphoric acid content, and chocolate is epidemiologically associated with decrease in bone strength, most likely due to oxalate. For bone strength, be sure to get enough calcium, magnesium, silicon, and vitamins D and K.

So does that mean a person shouldn't drink caffeine at all? Does even a small amount of caffeine negatively affect the bones? On the page you linked to about chocolate there was a citation that drinking tea helped improve bone structure in elderly women so now I'm confused http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17921409
Do you know how much calcium, magnesium, silicon, and vitamins D and K a person should have? Would taking too much of these vitamins and minerals have an adverse effect on bone health?

#23 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

So does that mean a person shouldn't drink caffeine at all? Does even a small amount of caffeine negatively affect the bones? On the page you linked to about chocolate there was a citation that drinking tea helped improve bone structure in elderly women so now I'm confused http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17921409
Do you know how much calcium, magnesium, silicon, and vitamins D and K a person should have? Would taking too much of these vitamins and minerals have an adverse effect on bone health?

Well, if we can't drink caffeine at all, then a lot of us are screwed. I wouldn't worry about caffeine unless you really go overboard with it. The tea paper is interesting. Another win for tea. That's apparently the action of the polyphenols, and if the caffeine is a problem, it must not be that bad. I've stopped my mindless cola consumption, in fact I never drink it any more. I still eat a modest amount of chocolate almost every day. I try to compensate with all the other bone-building things I use. I'm using about a gram of calcium in total, around 400mg Mg, ten drops of BioSil, about 2500 IU D3, and 90 mcg of K2MK7, five caps spread out through the week. Much of the calcium comes from Jarrow Bone Up. I also eat a lot of greens and a moderate amount of dairy. As far as too much of any of these harming bone health, there's an amount of anything that is too much. I saw an interesting hypothesis that claimed excessive dairy intake was responsible for poor bone health, citing epidemiology from a variety of countries. The idea was that excess Ca caused an upregulation of the cells that degrade bone. Seems plausible but there are a lot of other things going on, like whether or not you have any other source of calcium, and how much you actually consume.

#24 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

Is anyone else VERY tired of seeing this thread bumped every time someone adds their vote to the poll?

#25 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

Is anyone else VERY tired of seeing this thread bumped every time someone adds their vote to the poll?

Yes. It's an old topic, so I have closed the poll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users